Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

need a cheap bike to get grocerys and go to dr

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 07-30-19, 03:51 PM
windhchaser
Banned.

Bikes: Felt nine flow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

im old and out of shape i dont need speed i need comfort. is there any new bike that has comfort for under 500 bucks?
Old 07-30-19, 03:57 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Check Performance Bike, if you can get to one. I purchased a GT "city bike" from there a few years ago sub $500 that's turned out to be a pretty good bike for the purpose. Craigslist is also a good place to try.

Great to see you posting Windy!
Old 07-30-19, 04:29 PM
windhchaser
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Check Performance Bike, if you can get to one. I purchased a GT "city bike" from there a few years ago sub $500 that's turned out to be a pretty good bike for the purpose. Craigslist is also a good place to try.

Great to see you posting Windy!
cool juan i think dicks sell the gt as well
Old 07-30-19, 04:47 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by windhchaser
im old and out of shape i dont need speed i need comfort. is there any new bike that has comfort for under 500 bucks?
If you are capable of assembling a bike, and generally checking things over, you can try Bikes Direct. They have good prices on bikes with decent components. Save up to 60% off new Fitness Bikes, Hybrid Bikes | Hybrid | Cafe Bikes | Adventure Bikes - Performance Hybrid Bikes and Fitness Bikes
Old 07-30-19, 04:50 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Hey Windy, good to "see" you again - hope all is well.
Old 07-30-19, 04:56 PM
windhchaser
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
what do you all think of this bike? i kinda like the non deraler option https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...sc-lvrd-21.jpg
Old 07-30-19, 05:01 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 470 Posts
what do you all think of this bike? i kinda like the non deraler option https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...sc-lvrd-21.jpg
Can you find it with a rigid front fork?
Old 07-30-19, 05:06 PM
windhchaser
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Can you find it with a rigid front fork?
yeah i was kind of wondering if i need a suspenion fork to me i think it is just a waste of energy
Old 07-30-19, 05:22 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I have purchased several bikes for friends and a bike for myself from BD. Had a great experience every time. Even with the one damaged in shipping, they sent parts out immediately to fix.

I would warn to pay extra close attention to the fitting guides specific to the model you are looking at. Sizing can be a bit of a crapshoot.
Consider that you will need to replace the seat and pedals almost right away on most models, and also look to see if there is any grease in the bearings. In each case of purchase they were very skimpy about adding a proper amount to the bearings in wheel, headset, BB.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 07-30-19, 05:31 PM
windhchaser
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
Hey Windy, good to "see" you again - hope all is well.
ty
Old 07-30-19, 05:32 PM
windhchaser
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
I have purchased several bikes for friends and a bike for myself from BD. Had a great experience every time. Even with the one damaged in shipping, they sent parts out immediately to fix.

I would warn to pay extra close attention to the fitting guides specific to the model you are looking at. Sizing can be a bit of a crapshoot.
Consider that you will need to replace the seat and pedals almost right away on most models, and also look to see if there is any grease in the bearings. In each case of purchase they were very skimpy about adding a proper amount to the bearings in wheel, headset, BB.
dang seems like they need to focus on quailty
Old 07-30-19, 10:21 PM
Junkbeast

Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane SL 5 Gen 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Raleigh Redux?
Old 07-31-19, 12:50 AM
windhchaser
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkbeast
Raleigh Redux?
looks pretty nice id like that but with a more simple gear system most the time im in low anyways to get up this darn hill
Old 07-31-19, 04:26 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 257 Posts
If you are looking for a brand new, inexpensive, but still decent enough and simple enough to be very reliable, ASSUMING THAT THE BIKE IS ASSEMBLED PROPERLY and you, yourself, double-check that grease has been applied to the hanger set-crank bearings(bottom bracket).
YOU WILL HAVE TO GREASE THE CRANK BEARINGS YOURSELF, BECAUSE USUALLY NONE IS APPLIED, by the assemblers.....
(Go to YOUTUBE or Google "How to service bicycle crank bearings on a One Piece Crank)
It is so simple.........you need only a large adjustable crescent wrench and a medium flathead screwdriver.........and of course some automotive/marine wheel bearing grease.............................You have to remove the LEFT SIDE PEDAL with a 15mm wrench.........turns opposite than normal as has left hand threads.........you've gotta remove the chainguard too......... make certain that you pedal and shift the bicycle into high gear (7th gear on seven speed, etc..)..........this is when the chain is on the smallest rear sprocket...that is high gear(7th on a 7 speed...) -----after you have done that you can gently move the derailleur slightly forward so the chain slackens so that you can remove it from the front crank wheel, so that you can remove the crank and bearings, etc ...

The cheap bicycle that I think is adequate enough IF PROPERLY ASSEMBLED and there are no manufacturing defects or missing parts..... is distributed by PACIFIC CYCLE INC. It is manufactured in Tianjin City, Tianjin Province China.
It is a 700C (37-622mm) tires that are for pavement/asphalt roads and not for sand/gravel/off road.
It is a 7 speed STEP-THROUGH women's version.....actually a mixte frame here, as the frame is suitable for persons ranging in height from 5'-4" to 6'-2".
The ONLY THING that I find really crappy on this bicycle are the plastic pedals, which I recommend replacing with a $15 set of 1/2" rat traps (616 model from cyclesource in Los Angeles) or the same Sunlite reproductions that look like rat traps from ten speeds of the seventies/eighties -OR- a new reproduction $15 set of 1/2 " Krate bow pedals) The pedals that come on this bike are terrible, although they do function as pedals, I would change them, immediately.
The color of the bicycle is a nice AQUA color..........think the traditional Miami Dolphins team color, as it is close to that.
There is a variant of this model that is available in a light mint color.
You'll see other slightly different variants of these bicycles under different names and brands with slight differences.....mostly the handlebar shape...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-7...ellerId=0&adic

https://brickseek.com/walmart-invent...?sku=481569146

https://www.amazon.com/700c-Schwinn-.../dp/B00UQ7OSJG

https://www.amazon.com/700c-Schwinn-...ustomerReviews

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FV2T0WU...detail_4?psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FV2T0WU...ustomerReviews

Now if you're wondering, I believe these to be essentially all the same bicycles with only slight differences.
The Vilano versions have a handlebar that is not nearly as comfortable as the handlebar that is seen on the Admiral.
Target and Walmart have these bicycles (or have had them recently) under the name GATEWAY or WAYFAYER but they are the same bicycle as the ADMIRAL and VILANO 700C Seven Speeds with minor differences.......Color choices.....perhaps regular step through instead of mixte step through.....the Vilano has handlebars that are closer to mountain bike shape than the more Northroads cruiser bar shape of the Admiral.
I am betting that all of these bicycles, regardless of the brand name badge affixed on them, probably are made side by side in the same Chinese factory, as they all have the same equipment and wheels and I believe the same frame size.
Now, sure, some have better colors depending on perhaps your favorite colors, but neither is significantly better or worse, based on my observations of these bicycles.
The Admiral in the Miami Dolphins color has very nice aluminum wheels (as all of these bicycles, mentioned, have.....they have the same wheels...all of them..)
The Admiral has Hershey chocolate color, BROWN, Hang Zhou Rubber Factory(china) 37-622 tires (700 x 35C).. The plastic pedals are BROWN. The Admiral has an attractive BROWN spring saddle seat that is comfortable enough for anyone weighing less than 210 pounds. The hand grips are BROWN too....
It is a fine basic purpose bicycle IF IT IS ASSEMBLED PROPERLY and you add grease to the crank bearings. (maybe add grease to the headset bearings also)
........I guess they don't bother greasing the crank bearings because that perhaps leaving them without grease helps future bicycle sales since the product develops problems/dies sooner than would be the case with a fully greased bicycle that could last 20 + years even if treated harshly and never serviced again.

You will have many folks saying that these bicycles are JUNK and that you should get X or Y or Z at a bike shop, or consider A or B used from somewhere else, but when you boil it all down, it is such a simple bicycle, and yes the lightweight Shimano rear derailleur has no bashguard protection to keep it from being knocked out of proper position by a careless/abusive owner, but IF assembled and set up properly and if not dropped or abused or mishandled, these bicycles will last ten years or more if fully greased with minimal care otherwise. These bicycles are less than $185 brand new.
They weigh approximately 35 pounds. Likely they will weigh close to 36 pounds when you install good pedals instead of the plastic junk that are standard.
They are worth every penny of their price, if assembled properly. You can pay more for something similar from a bike shop and not get a bike that is any better than these. You'll simply pay over $400. A bicycle is a bicycle. These basic ONE PIECE CRANK 7 speed step-through bikes with 700C aluminum wheels are good bicycles for those who need only a basic new bicycle that is not complicated that can be ridden anywhere that there is pavement. Hills are easily dealt with, and these are comfortable basic bicycles that will fit most people that aren't petite and aren't NBA giants.
Even the most awkward, unathletic old geezer or young outta shape couch potato will benefit from such a lovely low priced 7 speed step through bicycle.
Don't worry about the tiny feminine graphics-designs- colors that some might have, just realize that the STEP THROUGH is what you need (you'll know if you need a step through!!) and just get one and then get out on the bike and do yourself some good, getting into better shape.................look at it as an Rx............$185 or so for such a basic new 7 speed is well worth it, if you don't want the hassle of going vintage or converting a mountain bike to comfortable handlebars/slicks/and comfortable seat.....................................LOL, you can always tell others that you're just out riding your wife's bike (....or your daughter's bike...) Nobody is gonna care that you're riding a step-through. The people that would likely smirk or poke fun at that, probably can barely walk to the mailbox, and couldn't probably ride a bicycle again, as they likely haven't ridden one since they were 14. Just get a bicycle and begin riding. Wear a helmet too. You don't need to spend much to get started.
If you like it and you begin to ride enough, you may then have a good idea as to how you can improve your bicycling experience. Too often folks are "OVERSOLD" or told to get this or that because some serious "die-hard" has that or recommends that. Just as the golfer that can't break 85 won't benefit from new clubs or a change in equipment, or even custom clubs.................but the fools believe they can and yes it makes them feel good so it isn't all bad........ a 911 goes zero to whatever faster than a Kia Soul, but you can buy about eight brand new Souls for the cost of one new 911. The Soul is more reliable too and it has more space...........
Don't expect a new great set of clubs to make you Tiger Woods, anymore than buying a $9000 Eric Clapton signature edition Fender Blackie Stratocaster is going to make you play more like or sound more like EC than if you bought a brand new chinese Glarry strat copy for $60 with free shipping from any of those many major sellers on the bay.
If you need something basic, this would work perfectly ASSUMING IT IS ASSEMBLED PROPERLY and bearings fully greased.
Walmart has "free assembly" on its bikes sold in stores. NATIONAL ASSEMBLERS INC (nationalassemblersinc.net) are the folks that are assembling the Walmart bicycles in my region's WalMart stores. Pacific Cycle Inc markets the Admiral . Model:S4043WME UPC Code 038675404373 Telephone support for Pacific Cycle 800 626 2811

I am simply saying that basic bicycles will function adequately as basic bicycles IF ASSEMBLED PROPERLY and greased. These bicycles are very simple. Perhaps certain components are not as robust as those of long ago, but the wheels appear to be very decent and put together nicely.
You can certainly do much worse, within this low price range and perhaps even more costly from proper bike shop's inventory.
..........a basic bicycle....nothing more than that.......worth the $185 or so for those wanting a new basic bicycle.................
Old 07-31-19, 05:51 AM
windhchaser
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
If you are looking for a brand new, inexpensive, but still decent enough and simple enough to be very reliable, ASSUMING THAT THE BIKE IS ASSEMBLED PROPERLY and you, yourself, double-check that grease has been applied to the hanger set-crank bearings(bottom bracket).
YOU WILL HAVE TO GREASE THE CRANK BEARINGS YOURSELF, BECAUSE USUALLY NONE IS APPLIED, by the assemblers.....
(Go to YOUTUBE or Google "How to service bicycle crank bearings on a One Piece Crank)
It is so simple.........you need only a large adjustable crescent wrench and a medium flathead screwdriver.........and of course some automotive/marine wheel bearing grease.............................You have to remove the LEFT SIDE PEDAL with a 15mm wrench.........turns opposite than normal as has left hand threads.........you've gotta remove the chainguard too......... make certain that you pedal and shift the bicycle into high gear (7th gear on seven speed, etc..)..........this is when the chain is on the smallest rear sprocket...that is high gear(7th on a 7 speed...) -----after you have done that you can gently move the derailleur slightly forward so the chain slackens so that you can remove it from the front crank wheel, so that you can remove the crank and bearings, etc ...

The cheap bicycle that I think is adequate enough IF PROPERLY ASSEMBLED and there are no manufacturing defects or missing parts..... is distributed by PACIFIC CYCLE INC. It is manufactured in Tianjin City, Tianjin Province China.
It is a 700C (37-622mm) tires that are for pavement/asphalt roads and not for sand/gravel/off road.
It is a 7 speed STEP-THROUGH women's version.....actually a mixte frame here, as the frame is suitable for persons ranging in height from 5'-4" to 6'-2".
The ONLY THING that I find really crappy on this bicycle are the plastic pedals, which I recommend replacing with a $15 set of 1/2" rat traps (616 model from cyclesource in Los Angeles) or the same Sunlite reproductions that look like rat traps from ten speeds of the seventies/eighties -OR- a new reproduction $15 set of 1/2 " Krate bow pedals) The pedals that come on this bike are terrible, although they do function as pedals, I would change them, immediately.
The color of the bicycle is a nice AQUA color..........think the traditional Miami Dolphins team color, as it is close to that.
There is a variant of this model that is available in a light mint color.
You'll see other slightly different variants of these bicycles under different names and brands with slight differences.....mostly the handlebar shape...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-7...ellerId=0&adic

https://brickseek.com/walmart-invent...?sku=481569146

https://www.amazon.com/700c-Schwinn-.../dp/B00UQ7OSJG

https://www.amazon.com/700c-Schwinn-...ustomerReviews

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FV2T0WU...detail_4?psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FV2T0WU...ustomerReviews

Now if you're wondering, I believe these to be essentially all the same bicycles with only slight differences.
The Vilano versions have a handlebar that is not nearly as comfortable as the handlebar that is seen on the Admiral.
Target and Walmart have these bicycles (or have had them recently) under the name GATEWAY or WAYFAYER but they are the same bicycle as the ADMIRAL and VILANO 700C Seven Speeds with minor differences.......Color choices.....perhaps regular step through instead of mixte step through.....the Vilano has handlebars that are closer to mountain bike shape than the more Northroads cruiser bar shape of the Admiral.
I am betting that all of these bicycles, regardless of the brand name badge affixed on them, probably are made side by side in the same Chinese factory, as they all have the same equipment and wheels and I believe the same frame size.
Now, sure, some have better colors depending on perhaps your favorite colors, but neither is significantly better or worse, based on my observations of these bicycles.
The Admiral in the Miami Dolphins color has very nice aluminum wheels (as all of these bicycles, mentioned, have.....they have the same wheels...all of them..)
The Admiral has Hershey chocolate color, BROWN, Hang Zhou Rubber Factory(china) 37-622 tires (700 x 35C).. The plastic pedals are BROWN. The Admiral has an attractive BROWN spring saddle seat that is comfortable enough for anyone weighing less than 210 pounds. The hand grips are BROWN too....
It is a fine basic purpose bicycle IF IT IS ASSEMBLED PROPERLY and you add grease to the crank bearings. (maybe add grease to the headset bearings also)
........I guess they don't bother greasing the crank bearings because that perhaps leaving them without grease helps future bicycle sales since the product develops problems/dies sooner than would be the case with a fully greased bicycle that could last 20 + years even if treated harshly and never serviced again.

You will have many folks saying that these bicycles are JUNK and that you should get X or Y or Z at a bike shop, or consider A or B used from somewhere else, but when you boil it all down, it is such a simple bicycle, and yes the lightweight Shimano rear derailleur has no bashguard protection to keep it from being knocked out of proper position by a careless/abusive owner, but IF assembled and set up properly and if not dropped or abused or mishandled, these bicycles will last ten years or more if fully greased with minimal care otherwise. These bicycles are less than $185 brand new.
They weigh approximately 35 pounds. Likely they will weigh close to 36 pounds when you install good pedals instead of the plastic junk that are standard.
They are worth every penny of their price, if assembled properly. You can pay more for something similar from a bike shop and not get a bike that is any better than these. You'll simply pay over $400. A bicycle is a bicycle. These basic ONE PIECE CRANK 7 speed step-through bikes with 700C aluminum wheels are good bicycles for those who need only a basic new bicycle that is not complicated that can be ridden anywhere that there is pavement. Hills are easily dealt with, and these are comfortable basic bicycles that will fit most people that aren't petite and aren't NBA giants.
Even the most awkward, unathletic old geezer or young outta shape couch potato will benefit from such a lovely low priced 7 speed step through bicycle.
Don't worry about the tiny feminine graphics-designs- colors that some might have, just realize that the STEP THROUGH is what you need (you'll know if you need a step through!!) and just get one and then get out on the bike and do yourself some good, getting into better shape.................look at it as an Rx............$185 or so for such a basic new 7 speed is well worth it, if you don't want the hassle of going vintage or converting a mountain bike to comfortable handlebars/slicks/and comfortable seat.....................................LOL, you can always tell others that you're just out riding your wife's bike (....or your daughter's bike...) Nobody is gonna care that you're riding a step-through. The people that would likely smirk or poke fun at that, probably can barely walk to the mailbox, and couldn't probably ride a bicycle again, as they likely haven't ridden one since they were 14. Just get a bicycle and begin riding. Wear a helmet too. You don't need to spend much to get started.
If you like it and you begin to ride enough, you may then have a good idea as to how you can improve your bicycling experience. Too often folks are "OVERSOLD" or told to get this or that because some serious "die-hard" has that or recommends that. Just as the golfer that can't break 85 won't benefit from new clubs or a change in equipment, or even custom clubs.................but the fools believe they can and yes it makes them feel good so it isn't all bad........ a 911 goes zero to whatever faster than a Kia Soul, but you can buy about eight brand new Souls for the cost of one new 911. The Soul is more reliable too and it has more space...........
Don't expect a new great set of clubs to make you Tiger Woods, anymore than buying a $9000 Eric Clapton signature edition Fender Blackie Stratocaster is going to make you play more like or sound more like EC than if you bought a brand new chinese Glarry strat copy for $60 with free shipping from any of those many major sellers on the bay.
If you need something basic, this would work perfectly ASSUMING IT IS ASSEMBLED PROPERLY and bearings fully greased.
Walmart has "free assembly" on its bikes sold in stores. NATIONAL ASSEMBLERS INC (nationalassemblersinc.net) are the folks that are assembling the Walmart bicycles in my region's WalMart stores. Pacific Cycle Inc markets the Admiral . Model:S4043WME UPC Code 038675404373 Telephone support for Pacific Cycle 800 626 2811

I am simply saying that basic bicycles will function adequately as basic bicycles IF ASSEMBLED PROPERLY and greased. These bicycles are very simple. Perhaps certain components are not as robust as those of long ago, but the wheels appear to be very decent and put together nicely.
You can certainly do much worse, within this low price range and perhaps even more costly from proper bike shop's inventory.
..........a basic bicycle....nothing more than that.......worth the $185 or so for those wanting a new basic bicycle.................
pacific was very good to me. i had a scwin made by them and they if i recall right overnigted me some defective parts for free
Old 07-31-19, 07:16 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I would look on craigslist for an Electra Townie or other used bikes. Very comfortable.
Old 07-31-19, 07:41 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
looks pretty nice id like that but with a more simple gear system most the time im in low anyways to get up this darn hill
Hmmm. Internal gear hubs, then?

This looks interesting. 5 speed hub, hydraulic disc brakes, and 700x38 tires. Raleigh Haskell

Last edited by FiftySix; 07-31-19 at 07:56 AM. Reason: added tires
Old 07-31-19, 08:26 AM
windhchaser
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
ty everyone for all the input im very gratful. the main thing i want is comfort but flat proff tires would be even better . do you all like this? https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...n_blk_2100.jpg
Old 07-31-19, 08:57 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Having a new shiny bike locked up in front of a grocery store is saying steal me! I would find a good old low mile none suspension chromoly steel frame MTB with rear racks on Craigslist for $100 or less. Then go through it or have it gone through then fit it with some good puncher resistant tires.
Likes For tim24k:
Old 07-31-19, 09:33 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
ty everyone for all the input im very gratful. the main thing i want is comfort but flat proff tires would be even better . do you all like this? https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...n_blk_2100.jpg
Thick tubes are what I use for flat prevention. Put 'em inside of thick tread tires and you should be pretty good.

https://bicyclewarehouse.com/collect...-various-sizes
Old 07-31-19, 10:31 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 427 Posts
Comfort, not speed, simple and utilitarian, suitable for aging and fit-challenged rider. Might consider a Townie Electra. Accepts fender and rack.
Old 08-01-19, 02:29 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 741 Posts
That bike has no braze ons for a rack. This one does, and it has fenders as well: Save up to 60% OFF Mango Macaw 3 Speed Shimano Nexus Aluminum No Rust Frame Cruisers from bikesdirect.com

And this one does as well: Save up to 60% OFF Mango Macaw 1 Speed Cruisers from bikesdirect.com