Search this Thread

Old 08-14-09, 05:06 PM
joshuaandlauri

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoRacer
It's less than 100, so let's meet at Dunkin' Donuts at 7am. I'll probably pick up something to eat from there before we get started.

mmm...donuts
Old 08-15-09, 11:54 AM
greaterbrown

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure of the WHEN, but I figured I'd work on the WHERE. The beer ride:

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.053773&z=15

Now this is quite preliminary. This starts again in Druid Park. (reasonably safe parking while we're gone & not too far from the evening beer stop). From druid pk we go to a place I've never been- Victoria Gastro Pub in Columbia. Anyone who's been there give me a review. It seems like a nice place with fancy micro brews and a sunday brunch. (maybe a bit pricey though). From there we head, with his permission, to Charlie's. I know there's a better route through patapsco SP. I'll let him lead us there. Next is Brewer's Art in Baltimore which opens at 5PM. The route here would be up the gwynns falls trail and through the westside. (Barry can probably provide a good lead through this part). Then a wobbly ride back to the park or home.
Old 08-15-09, 03:03 PM
joshuaandlauri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got in and cleaned up from our 101.2 mile ride, No racer I'm sure will have a great ride story up soon.

I did get bad leg cramps begining at mile #60, complete leg lockup, first time this has happened to me, then we ran into Barry and standing there talking BOTH legs locked up (it sucks) so I slowed us down coming home going slow so I don't cramp up bad, Took Advil and Excedrin neither seem to do much. Also got gatorade and 3 hours later still had cramps.

3.5 to get there(includes breaks)
5.5 to get back(includes breaks)

I did weigh myself before and after the ride
before 179lbs
after 174lbs

I can't help but wonder if I possibly could have been dehydrating and not felt it? 5lbs is a lot.

good page on leg cramps
https://www.drugstore.com/qxa1863_333...bout_them.htm/

Last edited by joshuaandlauri; 08-15-09 at 03:05 PM. Reason: I can't type worth crap
Old 08-15-09, 03:31 PM
HC203

Bikes: Madone 08,Trek520,Bianchi Pista,Raleigh Tandem,Cdale SuperV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joshuaandlauri

I did weigh myself before and after the ride
before 179lbs
after 174lbs

I can't help but wonder if I possibly could have been dehydrating and not felt it? 5lbs is a lot.

[/URL]
Yah, you were dehydrated, I'm sure NoRacer could tell you plenty about that. I've had bad cramps before and it's always from dehydration, usually accompanied by a weird sensation over the entirety of my skin.

I did my 8 mile run this morning and at about 6 miles I was soaked through and through, and this is 8am, got home and I'm squishing in around in sneakers filled with sweat. Wanted to do a ride as well but I'll save some for tomorrow's metric up in Lancaster. Anybody doing this Covered Bridge metric?
Old 08-15-09, 03:38 PM
Danger Mike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
St Marys checking in!
Old 08-15-09, 05:46 PM
joshuaandlauri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Mike!

Well I've been back for 3.5 hours now, I'm up to 176, thats a little better.

BTW noracer, thats the last time I get water from Mcdonalds like that, I must have got something if you catch my drift. Lost a couple pounds like that also when I got home.

Next time I'll pony up the $5 and buy it.

Well I'm off to target to get dinner, see ya later.
Old 08-15-09, 09:29 PM
NoRacer
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Josh pretty much covered everything except that we ran into some Severna Park Peloton folks coming back from their ride:

https://bimactive.com/ba/journal/post/10783/25713

It was great riding with Josh and Barry.

Btw, Barry dropped us somewhere around the Westport area.
Old 08-16-09, 10:33 AM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My report: After spending one too many weekends in bed I really needed to get out besides my left hip, left knee (my hip is now well enough to cause me some knee issues, good news right?) and my right sprained ankle were all feeling much better. So I tried to make the BBC ride out of Elkridge but ran into a freind on the way out and had to talk a bit, so I ended up being 15 min late and not a cue sheet in sight at the parking lot. So I decided to go off to Annapolis as flat riding is really good so I do not re-injuring anything till I get some more strength back.

Then I ran into a group of the Mayor's riders I know from the Friday morning rides, so I hung with them for a while and we talked about maybe in two weeks getting more people together and do a fastish ride from Baltimore to Annapolis.

Then I saw this one rider running with a really bright headlight during the day and I thought that probably is really good for safety and then I noticed Josh following and of course it was NR with the headlamp. Since I was doing a recovery ride of sorts and did not want to strain anything I was a bit reluctant to hook up but Josh was very accommodating in assuring me that would not be an issue. But seriously, Josh ditch the Gatoraide (its not as good as it once was) and find something that works better for you. I have been having a lot of luck with just plain water supplemented by V8 at rest stops so far this year but I have used other sport drink mixes from the LBS with a lot of success as well.

Me dropping you is very creative wording but I forgot that you really like Washington Blvd so I think I took a different route then you did. I will also note that I have been in a very strange mood since the anti-cycling letter in the Sun, its hard to explain but definitely angst related.

Anyway I went off to Light St Cycles and Cross St Market for a jumbo chicken thigh & leg and large drink for $5 (got a deal for $4 this time) and hung out with my friends at Light St for a while before heading home. I got in a 80 mile ride at a 14mph pace not too bad considering I could not even walk on Tuesday.

Anyway I had a great time and it was fun running into so many friends as well as seeing so many cyclists out and about.
. . /L
=()>()
Old 08-16-09, 05:38 PM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunday ride:

https://bimactive.com/ba/journal/post/10783/25723

Tried to take it easy. It was hot out and the sweat was pouring out of me.

I stopped at the Promenade Grille in Havre de Grace for something to eat--a fruit bowel that included a scoop of lemon Italian ice.

I wanted to break 10,000 miles this trip, but it was just too hot and humid.
Old 08-16-09, 06:24 PM
HC203

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yah it was hot today and yesterday. Did my eight mile (hilly) run yesterday and a 50 mile ride out of Monkton Station today. I think I woke up dehydrated even though I drank all day yesterday, the run, working on the outside of my house, I was fighting it all day. Managed to stave off cramps today as we rode up the NCR to New Freedom then took to the roads to Prettyboy and Hampstead. Stopped at SnickerDoodles in HStead, waited a long time for my bagel and then headed southwest.
I'm riding with these guys that are getting ready to do their first century ride (CWC). So a little over 3k climbing over 50 miles was a pretty good training ride. We were gonna go longer but the heat was getting extreme.
Man! the mob scene at Monkton on our return was insane-big TUBING day!
I was wasted this afternoon, went to Chipoltle then crashed for a bit, running and riding will wear you down.

I like that Annapolis run so Barry let me know if that plan gels.
Old 08-16-09, 07:12 PM
maxine

Bikes: Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Human Car
My report: After spending one too many weekends in bed I really needed to get out
I KNEW it!!!!

I, too, have been spending an inordinate amount of time in bed lately. Not, alas, due to any hot AAA lobbyists attempting to sway me from my principles , just general ill-being. Lots of headaches this week, and a very messed-up sleep schedule.

When this weekend rolled around, I really wanted to do the Thomas Point ride with you guys (I enjoyed it last time, it's a nice route), but I didn't want to promise anything . . . my plan was to just let myself wake up whenever I woke up. Which ended up being a little late to join the ride. And then I fell asleep *again* mid-morning! *sigh* I dithered around the house a bit, no energy, and went in to work for a few hours, and did some shopping that I had been putting off. (When I go to my friend's birthday dinner/bash next Saturday, I am *so* going to let her know that, just for her, I went to Arundel Mills Mall ON A SATURDAY. )

Today I again slept later than normal, but otherwise felt almost my usual self. Although I tried to talk myself into it, for some reason I just wasn't in a biking mood. I ended up going for a hilly, hot 5-mile hike at Patapsco in the late afternoon. Got into a 10-minute, 20-yard staredown with two deer, one a young buck, and saw two others.

I'm looking forward to biking to work this week, though, so hopefully I'm out of whatever funk had got hold of me.
Old 08-17-09, 05:19 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maxine
When this weekend rolled around, I really wanted to do the Thomas Point ride with you guys (I enjoyed it last time, it's a nice route), but I didn't want to promise anything . . . my plan was to just let myself wake up whenever I woke up. Which ended up being a little late to join the ride.
Yeah, that's too bad. It would've been nice to get more folks on the ride.

Maybe someday, I'll actually think about posting my rides on cuesheetcentral and maybe some adventurous BBCers will come out for them.
Old 08-17-09, 05:44 AM
HC203

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, that's too bad. It would've been nice to get more folks on the ride.

Maybe someday, I'll actually think about posting my rides on cuesheetcentral and maybe some adventurous BBCers will come out for them.
I promised myself that I would get on more BBC rides in 09 but their timing just doesn't work. No way with kids that I can do a 9:30 am start on weekends and who can do those midweek rides? I hear they are fun, are these people retired or independently wealthy?

I was hoping to resume my Canada to Baltimore trip this fall but looks like I won't have time. May have to just settle for a mini tour down to Point Lookout or somewhere in VA. Good fall plan.
Old 08-17-09, 01:11 PM
veloellen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I often think the same thing about the BBC rides. A bit of both - wealthy and retired. I take it 0930 is too late for you - it is for me. I want to be DONE my ride by 9:30ish. Sunday morning our son went to a friends house and Jim and I went for a ride - only 24 miles but we don't get to ride together often - he's too fast for me and he likes the (shorter) neighborhood rides.
Old 08-17-09, 01:20 PM
HC203

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yah the Stoneleigh guys are too early(and fast) for me and the BBC is too late. The guys I ride with on Sunday fall in the middle, generally between 7:30 and 8, and is as early or as late as I go on Sunday unless it's an event. I should try to grab a coupe of the Friday rides with Jim before they quit.
Old 08-18-09, 08:02 AM
greaterbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did a pre-ride of the 4 Reservoirs Tour yesterday.
Very nice route however, not enough watering stops and I got behind on hydration around the 65 mile mark. I did a quick detour to Wally's, but probably gulped down too much all at once. So, I started feeling bloated and nauseous.

I decided to stop for a rest. Picked a nice and cushy plot of shaded grass, sat down, then laid down, then fell asleep. I woke up 10 minutes later and felt totally refreshed. The stomach problems were gone. I hopped back on the bike and finished off the last 25 miles. I'll have to remember to take naps during my rides more often.

I had a bit of cramping during the ride and had to get off the bike once to stretch out, but nothing too bad.
The official BBC 4 Reservoirs Tour is this sunday Aug.23rd . (I'm adding some water stop detours into the ride) 8AM meet up at the Conservatory in Druid Hill.

Last edited by greaterbrown; 08-18-09 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-18-09, 08:24 AM
maxine

Bikes: Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greaterbrown
I'll have to remember to take naps during my rides more often.

Naps are always a Good Thing.
Old 08-18-09, 10:44 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Barry / our Sunday conversation. re: Performance

Finally saw it. Funny!

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=574876
Old 08-18-09, 11:14 AM
HC203

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey GB, you gotta cue for that 4 res ride?
Old 08-18-09, 11:46 AM
greaterbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...eservoirs-Tour
I may make small last minute changes and finalize the cue sheet.
Old 08-18-09, 03:48 PM
joshuaandlauri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Barry / our Sunday conversation. re: Performance

Finally saw it. Funny!

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=574876
Just got done downloading it huh? only 3 days.

Go dial up!

Last edited by joshuaandlauri; 08-18-09 at 03:51 PM. Reason: i can't spell for crap
Old 08-19-09, 06:20 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The official BBC 4 Reservoirs Tour is this sunday Aug.23rd . (I'm adding some water stop detours into the ride) 8AM meet up at the Conservatory in Druid Hill.
DC RAND has a ride out of Perryville that day!
Old 08-19-09, 07:54 AM
HC203

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...eservoirs-Tour
I may make small last minute changes and finalize the cue sheet.
Looks like you run pretty close to Hampstead, you could add a water stop there, but looks like you're going right by Wally's as well. Not sure if I'll be there as Sunday's are usually short ride days due to my parental obligations.
Old 08-19-09, 09:03 AM
greaterbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DC RAND has a ride out of Perryville that day!
When I saw that I thought to myself, "who do those DC Randos think they are comin' in to our backyard and running over my ride day? sheesh!"

It looks like they've got a nice ride there too. Anyway, that made it even more obvious to me that I need to officially join DC Rand and post my monthly rides to them so we can get some dual rides going and hopefully not split up the pie too much.

Now, I'm not trying to dissuade you from their ride NR, HOWEVER while you're riding through those shade-less stretches south of Lancaster, think of me in under the canopy of the reservoir forests.

BTW Huge congrats on your earliest ever 10k
Old 08-19-09, 12:07 PM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now, I'm not trying to dissuade you from their ride NR, HOWEVER while you're riding through those shade-less stretches south of Lancaster, think of me in under the canopy of the reservoir forests.

Hmmmm... ride to Perryville and do a century and ride back or ride to the zoo and do a century and ride back.

BTW Huge congrats on your earliest ever 10k
Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.