Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Downtube Shifters

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Downtube Shifters

Old 09-09-09, 09:07 PM
hockdub
bank robber burger

Bikes: fuji thrill mountain bike, caloi rat rod beach cruiser, fuji sports ten fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Downtube Shifters

I know this is not a fixed gear related issue, but it is on a vintage frame that could just as easily be converted into a fixie. Anyways, my biking love lies in fixed and I just picked up a new road frame as a complete bike that I think I may keep geared for the real long hauls.

The bike had the shifters on the stem, but mounts down on the down tube. Anyways, one of the down tube shifters has partially broken off making it not possible to mount the shifters to that spot (unless there is some sort of fix??).

I am looking for some levers that mount to the down tube, but use a bracket to hold them on, rather than being integrated into the frame itself. This is not a want thread, but I was wondering if anyone knew if they were still available? if someone so happens to have an extra one from their conversion, id love to buy it from you. The components on the bike are suntour now, but im sure shimano would work also.

Hope someone can be of some assistance.

Pic of the fixed for your viewing pleasure.

pic of the new bike in question, and busted mount.

raleigh technium 440

Old 09-09-09, 09:23 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I'd get that dent/bulge looked at.
Old 09-09-09, 09:57 PM
Samwiches
breasts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You want a clamp on shifter boss, or sometimes referred to as clamp on shifters. Go to ebay.
Old 09-09-09, 10:14 PM
hockdub
bank robber burger

Bikes: fuji thrill mountain bike, caloi rat rod beach cruiser, fuji sports ten fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what dent/bulge?

thanks for the advice
Old 09-09-09, 10:15 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
2nd picture you posted at that white stripe.
Old 09-09-09, 10:35 PM
hockdub
bank robber burger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
theres no dent/bulge. there is a shadow from the cable housing, but the frame is free of dents/bends. no worries
Old 09-10-09, 12:26 AM
LupinIII

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

more like viewing displeasure lolamirite?

btw, probably would have been better directed at C&V or bike mechanics, i'd advocate you shave them all off and paint it hot pink.

anyways, for something constructive, these would work: https://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-600-Down...d=p3286.c0.m14

see how they're on that metal clamp with the screw on the backside? you just clamp that on your downtube like a frame pump holder or metal cable clamp. these might work too:

https://cgi.ebay.com/SunRace-7-Speed-...d=p3286.c0.m14

it says clamp on, but i don't see a way to tighten it to the tube on the boss assembly. buy at your own risk for that one. the shimano 600 one though should work fine.
Old 09-10-09, 12:32 AM
LoRoK
a.k.a. QUADZILLA

Bikes: Super Pista, Basso, Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that A) This topic is in this sub-forum and B) The OP will trust the advice that comes from this sub-forum. Yes I know there is already some good info given, but c'mon. It's BFSSFG. We know nothing about byeks.
Old 09-10-09, 08:15 AM
hockdub
bank robber burger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i came in here because since i have torn down a couple of old vintage frames I have done my own personal research on the frames i have gotten. aside from that, i take the old parts off and usually donate them to the local co-op as i obviously dont need shifter/brake components on a fixie. I thought that someone may have a better idea of where to find this single part, if they had not possibly had one lieing around in their junk piles from converting their old roadie to a fg.

btw, way to lump people with fg's into one group about knowing nothing about "byeks"
Old 09-10-09, 12:04 PM
kringle
I step on puppies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hockdub
i came in here because since i have torn down a couple of old vintage frames I have done my own personal research on the frames i have gotten. aside from that, i take the old parts off and usually donate them to the local co-op as i obviously dont need shifter/brake components on a fixie. I thought that someone may have a better idea of where to find this single part, if they had not possibly had one lieing around in their junk piles from converting their old roadie to a fg.

btw, way to lump people with fg's into one group about knowing nothing about "byeks"
I don't care that you posted here, but it would probably help more to look into the classic/vintage sub-forum.

I'm sure you can figure out some way to make it work as is, but other options are to go with clamp bosses or weld in new ones.
Old 09-10-09, 02:59 PM
kyselad
extra bitter

Bikes: Miyata 210, Fuji Royale II, Bridgestone Kabuki, Miyata Ninety

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'd look into repairing the busted boss. If you go with the clamp-on, you may need to mount it below the bosses to prevent interference with the cables, and the bosses are kinda where you want the shifters to be, yes? Alternatively, you could eliminate the bosses and use the clamp-on, but then you may feel inclined to touch up the paint, whereas it's no problem to leave the shifter boss uglied up.
Old 09-10-09, 07:47 PM
mideng2m6

Bikes: releigh fixed conversion, 70's ross conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if the frame is aluminum the bosses can be pulled out and replaced. There is a pin on the boss that fits into a little hole in the frame.
Old 09-10-09, 08:32 PM
hockdub
bank robber burger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just looked and there is no little pin. each boss is individual on either side, but there are no pins around that area of the bosses.

i think my next option will be to chop them off and use the raised areas as a stopper to keep the clamp on bosses from sliding down the frame.

with those bosses out of the way I think the cables will have plenty of clearance to go down the down tube. bummer the one is broken because i would have loved to keep the components 100% original.

i really appreciate all of the help you guys are giving.