Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

"You shouldn't be riding at night"

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

"You shouldn't be riding at night"

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-09, 04:54 PM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Town
First of all, toughguy, it was Halloween night. Get it. And grow up with the "I won't let nobody flip me the bird" crap. Sooner or later your act will get you killed.
tough*guy*? Try tough*girl* and I'm 35 awesome years old and I aint dead yet. I come from the school of "take no ****." including from you.
Old 11-01-09, 05:01 PM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alfster
Glad you don't generalize The incident you described is pretty extreme, however I don't think it sets a pattern to the point where you can say that all cops are stupid. I'm sure there are plenty of cops on these boards, along with those that are not on this board, that contribute positively to society. Heck, there may even be some that are advocates of cycling ... like the police patrolling on bikes
Ok, you think that's "extreme?" When I was 19, my friend was stabbed, I called 911 no less than 3 times, it took the cops something like 30 mins to arrive (ambulance wasn't allowed to come until the cops showed up) should have taken the cops 10 mins or less to get there. It come out during the trial against the idiots that stabbed him, that the nearest available cops would not come to my (hysterical) phone calls because we were slightly outside their area. This meant cops from much further away had to come (30 + mins) and my friend was something 1 cm being dead, ie: if the idiot that stabbed him had better aim, my friend would have been dead in minutes. He still lost a lot of blood, and he was only 17 years old. If the cops had come in time, he might not have even *been* stabbed.

tl;dr someone I cared about who was only a freaking kid, came within a 1 cm or 2 of being dead, because COPS wouldn't show up.

I've hated cops since I was 19 years old, and there's been incidents of injustice I've witnessed since that time.

Don't call the above "extreme" it's all too common. Ask anyone living in an inner city with high crime if the cops ever show up at all. What happened to my friend was in a quiet somewhat upscale suburb, not a dangerous area.

Last edited by CbadRider; 11-01-09 at 05:09 PM. Reason: removed derogatory term
Old 11-01-09, 05:55 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,284 Times in 709 Posts
Originally Posted by iforgotmename
My light set up is 2 knog frogs in white, 2 in red and a PB superflash on the rear
I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly: You have five lights on the back?

That is awesome.
Old 11-01-09, 05:59 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Thought about it but I am one of a small number who ride on a regular basis in my town. I figured I would then have a target on my back.
Where is your town?

Old 11-01-09, 06:06 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by old town
first of all, toughguy, it was halloween night. Get it. And grow up with the "i won't let nobody flip me the bird" crap. Sooner or later your act will get you killed.

Old 11-01-09, 06:11 PM
iforgotmename

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow...and by the way thanks for the support. Sorry I have been away but I had to watch the Cleveland Browns lose again There is a bit more to the story. When I caught up to them...which was inevitable giving the lights, he started revving the engine and chirping the tires. The cop was one car ahead in the left turn lane and they were in the right lane. The way I see it revving and chirping the tires is an act of intimidation and or agression. Also they were two young men in their 20's... I WILL NOT be intimidated. I am not trying to be a tough guy but we have rights as cyclists. Finally the officer who lectured me showed up and really had no first hand idea of what had happened. He just wanted to blame everything on me for riding a bike while the guys in the car admitted to the other officer that they yelled at me. No admission of buzzing. For the record I am not Ghandi nor do I get angry at every incident. Ocassionally someone has to make the statement that enough is enough. Anger and or intimidation is not tolerated if the anger is directed at ones creed color or sexual orientation so why is it ok to direct it at someone just because they ride a bike? Don't get me wrong Hate crime is a strong word so I wouldn't go that far. But every now and then enough is enough. By the way thanks Luddite
Old 11-01-09, 06:12 PM
iforgotmename

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly: You have five lights on the back?

That is awesome.
Yep 5 and don't forget the two strobing 1 watt PB blaze lights on the front.
Old 11-01-09, 06:13 PM
mikewille
Frame Catastrophizer

Bikes: Surly Instigator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
make sure it matches what you are wearing as well.
Hafta wrap it up in black leather with stainless spikes. And a few reflectors, of course.
Safety first, you know.

Screw it, I'm gonna build me a battleaxe.
Old 11-01-09, 06:17 PM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NP, forgotmename.
Old 11-01-09, 06:17 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mikewille
Hafta wrap it up in black leather with stainless spikes. And a few reflectors, of course.
Safety first, you know.

Screw it, I'm gonna build me a battleaxe.
Why didn't I think of that?
Me want battleaxe!
Old 11-01-09, 06:28 PM
iforgotmename

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Where is your town?
I live about 25 miles east of Cleveland Ohio. What I mean by small number is that most people ride the local bike trail and or parks. The bike lane/trail is about 5 miles away from downtown. I use this route almost daily. I see the same few people traveling this route. I rarely drive and never drive within a 10 mile radius of home. Maybe I am overstating the few term but I earely see people who ride that route.
Old 11-01-09, 07:12 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Luddite
YUP! I was in a CM... <snip> ...Gods, I hate cops.
These two seem to go together. Just sayin'...

Still, Cop had no more business telling a cyclist to not ride at night as he would have to tell the same cyclist to stay on the sidewalk. Most cops have only a little better handle on understanding traffic law than the average cager, which is to say they've probably never been completely through the applicable traffic codes. The cop needs to be educated, and telling his supv is the only way it'll happen.
Old 11-01-09, 07:34 PM
Palomar01
SpeedFreak

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champ Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can't do much to that ignorant cop. He gave you his opinion is all. It's not illegal for a cop to give you his opinion as long as he doesn't cite you for riding at night. The only time you can report a cop or press charges against one is if he breaks the law. In this case, the cop has done nothing wrong except say something stupid. Just because they're cops does not make them smart!

Having said that, I just got a ticket for speeding while riding my motorcycle. This cop truly lied about my speed (he was following me for a mile and I was doing 55 and he accused me of doing 65! WTF? I'm not stupid enough to break the speed limit when I knew he was following me!). Yet this cop got away with it because I can't prove in court that he was lying. On the contrary! The court believes I am the liar and the cop is always telling the truth!

So yeah. Even when the cop is wrong you MUST have proof for it to stick. So dont expect too much sympathy from them.
Old 11-01-09, 07:57 PM
Alfster 
long time visiter

Bikes: 2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok, you think that's "extreme?" When I was 19, my friend was stabbed, I called 911 no less than 3 times, it took the cops something like 30 mins to arrive (ambulance wasn't allowed to come until the cops showed up) should have taken the cops 10 mins or less to get there. It come out during the trial against the idiots that stabbed him, that the nearest available cops would not come to my (hysterical) phone calls because we were slightly outside their area. This meant cops from much further away had to come (30 + mins) and my friend was something 1 cm being dead, ie: if the idiot that stabbed him had better aim, my friend would have been dead in minutes. He still lost a lot of blood, and he was only 17 years old. If the cops had come in time, he might not have even *been* stabbed.

tl;dr someone I cared about who was only a freaking kid, came within a 1 cm or 2 of being dead, because COPS wouldn't show up.

I've hated cops since I was 19 years old, and there's been incidents of injustice I've witnessed since that time.

Don't call the above "extreme" it's all too common. Ask anyone living in an inner city with high crime if the cops ever show up at all. What happened to my friend was in a quiet somewhat upscale suburb, not a dangerous area.
Well, you've undoubtedly had some bad experiences. However by painting all police with the same brush, you are discrediting all the good that most police do. They are people just like everyone else, and yes, like everyone else they at times make mistakes.

As you can tell, I've got a lot of respect for the Policing profession. It's a thankless job that I'm sure both you and I would not want to do. Just be glad that your mistakes on the job are not under the same microscope.

Hate is a powerful emotion that is best reserved for vegetables
Old 11-01-09, 08:14 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
<snip>

Hate is a powerful emotion that is best reserved for vegetables
Luddite is a vegetarian.
Old 11-01-09, 08:16 PM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, you've undoubtedly had some bad experiences. However by painting all police with the same brush, you are discrediting all the good that most police do. They are people just like everyone else, and yes, like everyone else they at times make mistakes.

As you can tell, I've got a lot of respect for the Policing profession. It's a thankless job that I'm sure both you and I would not want to do. Just be glad that your mistakes on the job are not under the same microscope.
*sigh*

Do I need to list EVERY stupid cop incident I've ever had? How much time ya got?

'sides, I'm too much in like with DJ to get all fired up over this.
Old 11-01-09, 08:19 PM
Alfster 
long time visiter

Bikes: 2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Luddite is a vegetarian.
Oops
Old 11-02-09, 06:58 AM
Old Town
Sailing Cyclist

Bikes: Kona mountain and hybrid. Other assorted junk.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tough*guy*? Try tough*girl* and I'm 35 awesome years old and I aint dead yet. I come from the school of "take no ****." including from you.
Sorry, Sweetheart. With all the testosterone you were giving off, it was hard to tell.
Old 11-02-09, 08:06 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Gods, I hate cops.
When I was a cop, I hated all white girls.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 11-02-09, 08:16 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I live about 25 miles east of Cleveland Ohio. What I mean by small number is that most people ride the local bike trail and or parks. The bike lane/trail is about 5 miles away from downtown. I use this route almost daily. I see the same few people traveling this route. I rarely drive and never drive within a 10 mile radius of home. Maybe I am overstating the few term but I earely see people who ride that route.
If you want to PM me the specific burb you live in, I can make a call...claim it was my son and raise a little hell for you without giving you up. If you can provide as much of what the cop said as accurately as you can remember, that would help (for me to formulate an approach, I won't give you up by quoting the cop).
Sadly, here in NE Ohio, most cops are pretty clueless about the state statutes concerning bikes.

Are you sure he didn't just say that riding on Halloween night isn't a good idea? That's what I would have told you...it's one of those nights that anything that looks like a target is fair game to become a target. Even I try to avoid riding after dark on Halloween.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Last edited by chipcom; 11-02-09 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-02-09, 08:55 AM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Town
Sorry, Sweetheart. With all the testosterone you were giving off, it was hard to tell.
Now you are starting to piss me off.
Old 11-02-09, 10:16 AM
Old Town
Sailing Cyclist

Bikes: Kona mountain and hybrid. Other assorted junk.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now you are starting to piss me off.
Hey, we are all anonymous. That other poster could be a penguin posting from Pittsburg for all we know. He doesn't sound like any "woman" I've ever met. I think it's possible he's simply running some jive by us. This is Ok. We all have our shtick. If you want to be offended, be my guest. I can't control your emotions and he obviously cannot control his.
Old 11-02-09, 10:38 AM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No we are not all anonymous.
Luddite is my girlfriend .
Old 11-02-09, 10:38 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Tis my girlfriend you jerk.
I thought I was your girlfriend? Two-timer!
Old 11-02-09, 10:41 AM
GreenGrasshoppr
Opt-in Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikewille
Now I need to source a sledgehammer with a crabon handle and titanium head.
Is a baseball bat an acceptable alternative?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.