Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rear rack -- Talk me into keeping it?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-18, 07:05 AM
belacqua

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts

I am building up this '84 620 for longer rides but not touring. (I like @Six jours ' phrase "contemplative randonneuring.") I feel a strong impulse to remove the rear rack--it feels like needless weight and bulk. A small saddle bag and handlebar bag will carry everything this build needs (tools and snacks).

Does anyone like to leave the rack on a build like this, and what are your reasons?

before pic:
Old 05-13-18, 07:21 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 962 Posts
I'd get a rack that matches for the front.
Old 05-13-18, 07:29 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
You can send me the rack. I find moving saddle bags between bikes to be time consuming. If my bike has a rack, it is simple enough to fasten 2 velco straps to mount my Novara rear bag with fold down cereal box sized panniers.
Old 05-13-18, 07:29 AM
belacqua

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
I'd get a rack that matches for the front.
I actually had the same thought--but I don't foresee using any rack at all. So why would I be doing it? Because it looks right? Btw I don't consider that a trivial reason.
Old 05-13-18, 07:30 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Big racks are for big bags and if you're not using a big bag, yank the rack.

However, I am thinking of asking @gugie to build me a half length or mini rack for my Cannondale ST. Would be nice to have one for longer multi day CC touring type rides where there's a possibility of rain or the temp changes a lot from morning to dinner time.
Old 05-13-18, 07:31 AM
belacqua

Originally Posted by oddjob2
You can send me the rack. I find moving saddle bags between bikes to be time consuming. If my bike has a rack, it is simple enough to fasten 2 velco straps to mount my Novara rear bag with fold down cereal box sized panniers.
This is interesting--I do the same with a Topeak bag on my commuters. But it seems unnecessarily bulky and (psychologically, at least) slow for this build.
Old 05-13-18, 07:59 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,491 Posts
It is only 4 bolts. Take it off ab$ then put it back on when you need it.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-13-18, 08:08 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by belacqua
This is interesting--I do the same with a Topeak bag on my commuters. But it seems unnecessarily bulky and (psychologically, at least) slow for this build.
That speaks volumes right there. The perception of "fastness" is diminished considerably with such utilitarian devices attached, visually speaking, of course. By all means if you can carry the stuff you want to carry without the rack, then take it off and save it or move it along.

​​​​​
Old 05-13-18, 09:44 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Your rear rack has the stigma of low price - it's already paid for.

;-)

Racks are handy things. Rear racks can hold a lot. The problem with weighting down the rear has been discussed ad nauseum with the rando crowd. It significantly affects the handling of the bike (tail wagging the dog), especially if you like to stand and pedal occassionally on uphills. Rear wheels already hold ~60% of the bike's weight, and dishing the wheel makes if weaker than the front, so why add more weight to it?

Go find pictures of randonneuring rides. Search images for Bicycle Quarterly's un-meeting, or just @rhm or @n_lerner's flicker sites (Rudi and Neal, respectively), you'll find almost all of them are riding with a handlebar bag. This puts the weight over the front wheel, which alleviates all of the issues above.

It can get expensive, however. You can easily spend $4-500 on a front rack and handlebar bag. You can also get by on the cheap with a bag that attaches to the handlebars. On a "taller" bike like yours, that might put some weight a bit higher than optimum, a small rack that sits right above the tire is more optimal.

Or just ride with your rear rack and a small rack top bag. It all depends on how much you want/need to carry.
Old 05-13-18, 10:07 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
I rest my case.

Old 05-13-18, 01:53 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchigirll
it is only 4 bolts. Take it off ab$ then put it back on when you need it.
+1
Old 05-13-18, 02:36 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchigirll
it is only 4 bolts. Take it off ab$ then put it back on when you need it.
+2
Old 05-13-18, 02:50 PM
tonyfourdogs

Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail (1991)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Get rid of it, it's an eyesore! Unless you're planning to carry a pillion passenger (great pic btw @thinktubes!) you'll be better served by a saddlebag or backpack. This is not an arbitrary point of view but is actually backed up by science

Old 05-13-18, 04:28 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Keep it. When you need it you won't have the time or inclination to reinstall it and you won't be able to find the bolts.
Old 05-13-18, 04:55 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My bikes all have rear racks. For awhile I kept my lightest bike unencumbered for faster club rides. But then I'd sometimes be on a ride that passed near our grocery store on the way back and I'd think that it would have been nice to have the rack along. So I ended up putting a rack on that bike as well. Can't say I really notice the extra weight (less than a water bottle).
Old 05-13-18, 05:05 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Take it off, keep it and keep the bolts on the bike. Use when necessary, but you never know when you might need it and when you need it it may not be mounted. I use a similar rack on the Wintermule. I've actually overloaded it to a point where I've bent the one dropout mount to about 30 degrees. What you've got there is a touring bike though, no? I'd love to try one of those. If a specimen showed up locally for low cost I'd be on top of it and then on top of it. Those seat stay struts on that rack look fixed in place. Probably made for that bike.
Old 05-13-18, 05:10 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
It's much funnier when you pass someone on a carbon bike if you are riding a steel bike with a rack.

But seriously, like other say, just take it off and put it in a closet. It's 4 bolts. Like 1 minute of work. Put it on again if you want to do a weekend camping trip or something. That's what I do.

FWIW that looks like an original flavor Blackburn rack with fixed stays. In a way, a kind of cool item.

Topic drift: Blackburn touring racks originally came in a standard fixed stay version, and single adjustable stay version. They did make some custom fixed stay types for specific Trek bikes as well. Hard to know what that one is. We were quibbling about this a few months back.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 05-13-18 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-13-18, 11:38 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
I'd leave it on. I find my rectangular racktop Jandd box a lot handier than any saddlebag I've used. Yeah, it's kinda dory looking; but it's also insulated. Couple of cold beers and an ice pack in back, take the long way home after work on a nice day
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 05-14-18, 07:08 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
belacqua, Remove the rack if desired, but keep the screws on the bike should you change your mind and need to reinstall quickly.

Brad
Old 05-14-18, 07:33 AM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
I would keep it. I have rear racks on all my bikes, because i like to put my backpack there. Much more comfortable for long rides than wearing it. In my opinion every bike should have a rear rack and fenders, except they are for niche use like racing or something like that
Old 05-14-18, 11:24 AM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
I also have racks on all but one of my bikes. Something about a bike with rack braze ons and no rack just looks odd to me. That being said, I have a few bikes set up with handle bar bags and tend to use them rather than anything on the rack for most of my trips. Just more convenient I guess.
Old 05-14-18, 12:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
With the seat post that far in, you got a bigger frame than best fit didnt you?
Old 05-14-18, 12:19 PM
deephate

Bikes: COLNAGO! Litespeed, Motobecane, Peugeot, Gitane, Fuji, Nishiki, Centurion, Panasonic, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Bianchi, Winsor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I put a similar rack on most of my vintage bikes. I have it to carry my library book and anything else I come across needing to haul. I look for used ones but I usually have to buy new. The Planet Bike one is inexpensive and works well. I use nice insulated tube clamps on the ones without braze ons.
Old 05-14-18, 01:30 PM
belacqua

Originally Posted by fietsbob
With the seat post that far in, you got a bigger frame than best fit didnt you?
Here's what it looks like now that I'm building it up. Waiting for fenders and some brake pads and I think I'll be done. Rack and bolts are stashed within reach. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-14-18, 01:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Decent touring bike,
I'm in a place where mudguards are part of proper touring bike build, on a bike I don't have on a hook but for a few days a year..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.