Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stoker Seatpost reviews What works

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 05-16-18, 07:30 AM
stewclark 
St Louis Tandem Team

Bikes: comotion supremo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Have been using Thud buster seat post for stoker for years....it is heavy and squeaks a bit now and then...

Any Suggestions on different ones to try out....

Is suspension seatpost really needed?
Old 05-16-18, 11:39 AM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts
We use the Tamer Pivot Plus on both our tandems and the stoker loves them. Probably not much lighter than a Thudbuster, but the mechanism is closer to a real shock absorber and is adjustable for a wide range of weights and firmness. Oiling the pivot points keeps it limber and unsqueaky. The stoker says it's absolutely necessary!
Old 05-16-18, 12:16 PM
jethro00

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
My stoker has used 2 suspension posts. On our Trek T900, she uses an inexpensive up and down lightweight Bontrager suspension post. On our DaVinci Grand Junction she uses a Thudbuster with the most flexible elastomer. She likes the one on the T900 better. I suppose everyone is different and terrain probably factors in as well. That said, more expensive and fancier engineering is not always better for everyone.

Have you tried replacing the elastomer on the Thudbuster? They come in different levels of flexibility and can be replaced over time.
Old 05-16-18, 12:27 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
My stoker likes Cane Creek Thudbuster ST and Ergon CF3 seatposts. We've done a few rides over the years with rigid seatpost or cheap in-line suspension post -- those are not recommended by my stoker.
Old 05-16-18, 09:04 PM
jnbrown

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
We have tried various suspension posts including Thudbuster and Tamer. Bodyfloat is by far the best
Old 05-17-18, 06:54 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by stewclark
Have been using Thud buster seat post for stoker for years....it is heavy and squeaks a bit now and then...

Any Suggestions on different ones to try out....

Is suspension seatpost really needed?
We have used the Thudbuster - very heavy and expensive , but effective, the USE SX, fiddly to adjust, but effective and reasonably priced, the Specialized CG-R, expensive, but my wife, who is not very heavy, likes it on our Macchiato, and finally, on our e-tandem, we have the Satori, only $29 and very effective.
Old 05-18-18, 03:24 PM
fitlerbend

Bikes: TREK Stache 5, 2013 Cannonade Carbon 1, DaVinci In2Ition tandem, RANS Screamer, Giant Expressway 1, 1975 Crescent Mark XX, Tern Link 7, Montague Paratrooper, Raleigh Talus 29, Trek LIFT, Novara Randonee, Specialized Fatboy

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
We presently have a short travel Thudbuster, getting ready to replace it with a Body Float.
Old 05-18-18, 05:16 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
We've been using a Specialized Cobl Gobl-r for the past several years on our CoMo Speedster. Stoker is happy.
Old 05-19-18, 06:39 PM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by jnbrown
We have tried various suspension posts including Thudbuster and Tamer. Bodyfloat is by far the best
Ditto here!
Old 05-20-18, 03:08 PM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We're new to this, and not worried about ounces here and there (if we were, there would be fewer ounces on our old bones). Our stoker has a BodyFloat 2.0, and thinks it's great. We have no experience with any other type, but we've hit some significant bumps, and she's always thought the BodyFloat absorbed it like a champ.
Old 05-20-18, 04:27 PM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went through a bunch of suspension seat posts over a 20 year period. Best and last one was a Thudbuster that worked ok for about 3 years and ~10K miles before the pivots wore out. The last 5 years DW has been on a sprung Brooks B130 saddle. It looks goofy and is heavy as hell, but the stoker is comfortable so she rides more and longer
Old 05-22-18, 07:46 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,127 Posts
I'm not sure there is any substitute for trial and error, illustrated by the variety of opinions in the above posts. I think it varies from stoker to stoker and also varies by terrain.

I'll ad one more (outlying) data point: When we bought our latest tandem several years ago my stoker decided to give suspension seatposts a try. Previously she had only used normal aluminum posts. We tried the Thudbuster and one other that I now have forgotten but it was of the telescoping type. She didn't like either of them! She said they beat her up. She ended up with an Easton EC90 carbon fiber post which she preferred to her old alloy post. I'm not exactly sure what to make of this since so many stokers seem to think that a suspension post is a gift from the heavens.

I suspect that it may have something to do with the fact that almost every ride we do either begins or ends with a couple miles of gravel and hard-packed dirt. On those surfaces the suspension seatposts act more like pogo sticks that amplify the bumps rather than absorbing the bumps. Or maybe she is just an unusual woman (I always knew she was one in a million!) After years of riding flat bars she decided on this latest tandem that she prefers drop bars: Most of the stokers we know have gone the opposite way.
Brent
Old 05-27-18, 02:02 PM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
If anyone is interested, I have a nearly new Tamer Pivot Plus seatpost that I'd sell. 29.8mm seatpost size. Send me a note and I'll take some pics and come up with a price.
Old 05-27-18, 03:12 PM
mtseymour

Bikes: 2022 Calfee Tetra, 2023 Giant TCR

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We've used the Thudbuster ST, and quickly replaced it because my stoker couldn't get adequate travel and damping. The problem is that Thudbuster uses elastomers rather than steel or air springs. Elastomers are obsolete for mtn bike forks and rear shocks because they're affected by temperature, and have a progressive spring rate (they becomes stiffer with more compression). It's ironic the Cane Creek forks and rear shocks use steel or air springs, while their Thudbuster is stuck with out-dated elastomers. The Thudbuster has only survived because of the lack of competition.

That's no longer the case because the Kinekt (formerly called "Bodyfloat) is far superior.. The Kinekt is plush because the steel spring doesn't stiffen near the end of its travel. The 2nd steel spring (and the adjustable preload) minimizes any bouncing at high cadence. It feels the same in cold vs hot weather.

I don't understand why anyone would pay $160-175 for the Thudbuster when the Kinekt 2.0 is only $200. It's not a close call.
Old 05-27-18, 06:18 PM
NoTrail
Trail Blazing

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Epic, Niner RLT 9 Steel, Cannondale RT2 Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We are currently using the Thudbuster ST on our Cannondale. My stoker says it's the best upgrade we've made to the tandem. However, I recently found the ShockStop Seatpost from Redshift. Looks like a pretty cool idea. Not available until January 2019, but I'm keeping my eye on them. Will probably try one once they become readily available (and hopefully offer more than just 27.2mm with shims).

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...ports-design#/

Old 05-27-18, 10:16 PM
Yamato72

Bikes: '12 Felt F85, '14 Felt Edict Nine 1, '15 C'dale T1

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
We bought a Thudbuster ST a couple weeks back and so far the stoker likes it but it has messed up her saddle height and fore-aft position because it naturally sags a bit back and down when you sit on it. We feel like we have to re-fit her to the bike again.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised to find out how much it damps the rear wheel, which benefits both captain and stoker on our very stiff AL Cannondale.
Old 06-03-18, 08:33 PM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
............... After years of riding flat bars she decided on this latest tandem that she prefers drop bars: Most of the stokers we know have gone the opposite way.
Brent
As most we did go the opposite way..Wanting to ride more upright has been my wife’s evolution as a stoker . We started out with a rigid post for a few years. Then as we have aged she has wanted to be more and more upright in her position. That of course has transferred more weight to the saddle and thus more shock being transmitted to the crotch and buttocks instead of being absorbed by her arms. The wider brooks saddle and long spring travel finally fixed that for the last 5 years. But it has slowed our cadence and hurt our aerodynamics. Not a big deal we are just ride in the slower groups and a few less miles.
Old 06-04-18, 06:22 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
obrentharris and MtSeymour both allude to resonance effects that can occur at certain (usually >80 ) cadences depending on stoker
weight and the spring constant, the stoker will start bouncing up and down when this occurs. Interesting to observe when it occurs
a 1-2" up down motion of the entire stoker body is seen. As Mtseymour points out there are ways of diminishing this by design,
which can partly account for cost variances. The resonance is mostly related to cadence, but could also be driven by road bumps.
Old 06-04-18, 11:43 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
We don't use any special seatpost, but it seems to me that people have been happy with saddles with springs for generations, and if my wife wanted a suspension, this is what I would try for her first.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-04-18, 07:24 PM
ReidH

Bikes: Jack Taylor Tandem, Oscar Egg Routier

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
We don use a special stoker seat post either. Wide tires, 700c x 44mm and a Brooks B67 saddle have met with approval.

Reid Harding
Old 07-03-18, 10:07 AM
TigerMom

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thudbuster worked great for me to smoothing out the road/ruts. But the Thudbuster definitely bobbed whenever I pedaled hard uphill.

The Tamer Pivot Plus does not bob whenever I pedal hard, but, unfortunately, the Tamer either didn't activate on a bump, or if it activates, the Tamer doesn't push my saddle all the way back up. I have to lift up my butt off of the saddle for the Tamer post to rebound the saddle to the original position. I can't stand the Tamer Pivot Plus.

I will probably be looking for either the Body Float or Redshift's Stopshock seat post for a Christmas gift to myself.
Old 07-03-18, 11:00 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Solid stoker seatpost here. My wife was fitted to our tandem, we got a saddle for her and it seems to be working out well.
Old 07-04-18, 11:31 AM
mtseymour

Bikes: 2022 Calfee Tetra, 2023 Giant TCR

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TigerMom
Thudbuster worked great for me to smoothing out the road/ruts. But the Thudbuster definitely bobbed whenever I pedaled hard uphill.

I will probably be looking for either the Body Float or Redshift's Stopshock seat post for a Christmas gift to myself.
The Cirrus Kinekt 2.1 (the new version of the Bodyfloat) uses two springs. One supports your body weight and the other spring (at a different angle) provides damping. The Redshift only uses one spring and has no damping. If you don't like bobbing while riding the Thudbuster, you'll be far happier on the Kinekt. The Kinekt with aluminum post is on sale for $200 while the pre-order price for the Redshift is $160. It's a small premium for a superior post that's widely used.
Old 07-04-18, 12:26 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Artmo
We have used the Thudbuster - very heavy and expensive , but effective, the USE SX, fiddly to adjust, but effective and reasonably priced, the Specialized CG-R, expensive, but my wife, who is not very heavy, likes it on our Macchiato, and finally, on our e-tandem, we have the Satori, only $29 and very effective.
Another Trump's up for the Satori. Not much risk to try one.
Old 11-05-18, 07:49 AM
JMarino

Bikes: 2010 Co-Motion Supremo, 2018 Calfee DragonFly Tandem

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I just looked at the Satori web site and see many different models. Any feedback on the model used? Is it the Animaris?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.