Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Giant Roam 0 vs Scott Sub Cross 10 vs Specialized Crosstrail Elite

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 08-04-19, 04:59 PM
Paul9583

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello all.

Im new to the forum and I would appreciate everyone's help and opinions. I'm looking to buy a hybrid bike and I want one with a front shock absorber for comfort and terrain flexibility.

I've narrowed it down to the 3 above but I have not viewed any of them in the flesh as there is no stock local to me. My budget is £1000 and I'm looking to splash out close to max budget. Also the looks of the bike are important to me, I want to be able to not take my eyes off it if you know what I mean.

I hope some of you can help me and point me in the right direction if one bike is better than the others with spec etc.

Thank you all in advance, Paul.
Old 08-06-19, 12:08 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I can't say if the Giant Roam is the best bike of the three, But I will say this, I bought a 2018 Giant Sedona last year and have been very pleased with it. It is so comfortable I feel I could ride forever.

Giant seems to have a knack for building even entry level bikes (under $1,000 US) that perform WAY better then they have any right to.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 08-06-19 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-06-19, 05:38 PM
Paul9583

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
I can't say if the Giant Roam is the best bike of the three, But I will say this, I bought a 2018 Giant Sedona last year and have been very pleased with it. It is so comfortable I feel I could ride forever.

Giant seems to have a knack for building even entry level bikes (under $1,000 US) that perform WAY better then they have any right to.
Thank you mate
Likes For Paul9583:
Old 08-07-19, 12:15 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul9583
Hello all.

Im new to the forum and I would appreciate everyone's help and opinions. I'm looking to buy a hybrid bike and I want one with a front shock absorber for comfort and terrain flexibility.

I've narrowed it down to the 3 above but I have not viewed any of them in the flesh as there is no stock local to me. My budget is £1000 and I'm looking to splash out close to max budget. Also the looks of the bike are important to me, I want to be able to not take my eyes off it if you know what I mean.

I hope some of you can help me and point me in the right direction if one bike is better than the others with spec etc.

Thank you all in advance, Paul.
So you are looking at current models?

One issue that is difficult for buyers of such bikes is that there are literally no reviews online which will talk about any differences that may exist in the frames of each bike, as no one seems to be bothered reviewing aluminium framed hybrids, the way they do aluminium frame road bikes.

So whilst you might read that the aluminium Cannondale CAAD 12 or 13 is amazingly close to a carbon frame in feel, no one is doing this for hybrids.

So perhaps one shouldn't even wonder if there is any difference between the frames and instead concentrate on the rest of the components.

You could also include the Trek Dual Sport 4 amongst this group.

How heavy are you?

I ask because the Trek DS4 and Scott Sub 10, come with 32 spoke rims and the Giant & Specialized come with 28 spoke rims.

The Trek has the "worst" running gear of the lot, but it would still be pretty decent, as it is far from being at the low end of Shimano's range.

Giant has the best suspension fork out of this lot and Giant and Scott are equipped with the best running gear.

The Scott is the only bike of this lot with a triple crankset, at a time when triples seem to be falling out of favour, but it is an excellent triple crankset and I would not hold this against the Scott, as I believe it has the best crankset of any of these bikes.

If you aren't going to test ride any of these bikes, then you probably should also give a lot of consideration to which one you like the look of best, as there probably just isn't that much difference between all the bikes and you will be happy with any of them.
Old 08-07-19, 12:22 PM
Paul9583

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you so much for your advice. I did look at the DS4 but I really dont like the look of it colour wise.

I'm just under 70kg in weight. How much of a difference would the triple crankset make? Would climbing hills be an issue with the Giant?

I am leaning towards the Giant at the moment as even though it's very subtle it's probably the nicest looking. If only it had a bit more colour on the frame like the 2018 Roam 0.

Again thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old 08-07-19, 12:35 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Thank you so much for your advice. I did look at the DS4 but I really dont like the look of it colour wise.

I'm just under 70kg in weight. How much of a difference would the triple crankset make? Would climbing hills be an issue with the Giant?

I am leaning towards the Giant at the moment as even though it's very subtle it's probably the nicest looking. If only it had a bit more colour on the frame like the 2018 Roam 0.

Again thanks for taking the time to reply.
The Giant Roam 0 will literally allow you to climb Mt Everest, it has quite low gearing available.

The advent of 11 speed drive trains has seen large cassettes like the 11-42 on the Roam 0, really help enforce the dominance of double cranksets and make single cranksets much more viable for the mainstream.

I really like the look of the 2020 Giant Roam 0 and with you being 70kgs, its 28 spoke wheels will be great for you.
Old 08-07-19, 01:20 PM
Paul9583

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Giant roam 0 2020 isn't available here in the UK yet, although online it's available on the Australian Giant website. I'm not a fan of the blue colour on it and whilst I think the 2019 version of matt black and chrome/silver is a bit boring for me it's a nicer bike to look at.

Thank you again for your help, I couldn't of asked for a more detailed reply from yourself
Old 08-07-19, 01:39 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

The Giant roam 0 2020 isn't available here in the UK yet, although online it's available on the Australian Giant website. I'm not a fan of the blue colour on it and whilst I think the 2019 version of matt black and chrome/silver is a bit boring for me it's a nicer bike to look at.

Thank you again for your help, I couldn't of asked for a more detailed reply from yourself
Aren't there any 2019 models of the Giant Roam 0 available in the UK still, reasonably close to you?

When I look at a local bike directory in Australia, I can find a few entries for the 2019 model.

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/s/-/...most_expensive

Do you have similar directories you can look at in the UK?
Likes For ColonelSanders:
Old 08-07-19, 01:52 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts

@ColonelSanders has given spot-on comment. FWIW, I've ridden both the current Roam 0 and the Crosstrail Elite (no access to Scott), though I own neither. Of the two, I'd definitely go with the Roam on all counts (drivetrain; fork; etc.), especially if you are interested in 'cross terrain' cycling as your original post suggests.

If I may, another possibility given that you are in the UK: the Pinnacle Cobalt 4 from Evans. The colour might make it a non-starter (?), but it is a really well sorted 'cross' (as in cross-terrain) bike in all respects: drivetrain, brakes, and (especially) the fork. The Rockshox Paragon Gold is probably the best fork one can have on this type of bike. It is also extremely good value for money.

Just another option to consider: https://www.evanscycles.com/en-ca/pi...-bike-EV306239
Likes For badger1:
Old 08-08-19, 02:48 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts

I kind of like the blue color on the 2020 Giant Roam 0 myself. A lot of bikes are black, Including mine, and I like the Blue much better. The only thing with blue is accessories are often black and may not work as well as they do on a black bike.

The double chainring on the Roam 0 yields a low gear of 20 gear inches. So hills are no problem, Certainly not paved ones. That's the same as the triple chainring on my Sedona, And it is too low for me, even climbing a steep hill with loose gravel. It's barely faster then a walk. Love that front shock. I whish I bought a bike with one now.
Likes For xroadcharlie:
Old 08-16-19, 03:48 PM
LeoGrand

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2 XL, 2020 Trek Dual Sport 4 XL

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
I was waiting for 2020 Giant Roam 0 or 2020 Giant Roam 1 ... but they didn't came to US...

Very sad... Good bikes with good price!
Old 08-17-19, 12:47 PM
FM1178

Bikes: Specialized Roll & Trek Fuel Ex 8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LeoGrand
I was waiting for 2020 Giant Roam 0 or 2020 Giant Roam 1 ... but they didn't came to US...

Very sad... Good bikes with good price!

Looks like Giant isn’t bringing a lot of high end hybrids to the US this year. Doesn’t seem like we are getting the top end SLR1 Toughroad either. Just the scaled back SLR2. I was waiting for the SLR1 to hit the stores. Looks like I may be taking a hard look at the Specialized Sirrus X now.
Old 08-28-19, 07:06 PM
LeoGrand

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2 XL, 2020 Trek Dual Sport 4 XL

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by FM1178
Looks like Giant isn’t bringing a lot of high end hybrids to the US this year. Doesn’t seem like we are getting the top end SLR1 Toughroad either. Just the scaled back SLR2. I was waiting for the SLR1 to hit the stores. Looks like I may be taking a hard look at the Specialized Sirrus X now.
Yep.. this is why I got 2020 Trek DS4, almost the same as a 2020 Giant Roam 1.

Likes For LeoGrand:
Old 09-09-19, 05:23 PM
Paul9583

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just a quick update, after much debate and internet prowling i finally took the plunge and ordered the Giant Roam 0 2019 model. It came down in price by 20% once the 2020 model started hitting the shelves in the UK so I had to have it.

It took me a while to secure one though as you can imagine they were flying out of stock going from £1000 down to £800.

The bike itself is gorgeous, much better looking in the flesh, it has a very premium look about it especially with the Matte black frame.

I've done a few miles on it, nothing major but it feels food so far. Just need to get the gears set up as they're catching and also order some decent pedals and bar ends.

Here she is in all her glory.
Old 09-09-19, 05:26 PM
Paul9583

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok so I cant upload photos until I have at least 10 posts so here goes.... apologies in advance
Old 09-09-19, 05:26 PM
Paul9583

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Five
Old 09-09-19, 05:29 PM
Paul9583

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Four
Old 09-09-19, 05:29 PM
Paul9583

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Three
Old 10-20-19, 11:53 AM
matt_oo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two
Old 10-20-19, 11:54 AM
matt_oo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One
Old 10-20-19, 11:55 AM
matt_oo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's see your bike
Old 10-20-19, 01:01 PM
Paul9583

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by matt_oo
Let's see your bike
Ok so I'm going to try and finally upload a photo or 2. Just gotta make sure I've got enough posts to do so
Old 10-20-19, 01:04 PM
Paul9583

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thos was not longbafter I bought it. Ive since changed the pedals to Giant lightweight ones and also upgraded the grips to ones with built in bar ends.
Old 10-20-19, 01:05 PM
Paul9583

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 10-21-19, 09:25 AM
Biketorent

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike, i've just ordered my Giant Roam 1 in France this week end I will use it on road and off road for simple trails in the forest. I was hesitating between the Scott Sub Cross and Trek DS. The dual crankset, components (Deore, NCX Air fork) and the fit of frame geometry with my size finished to decide me.

I also asked for a new saddle since the standard one was really not confortable compared the the Scott one.

Are you satifyed with your bike so far ? Also, what is the width of the tires ? On Giant website, it is written 42 mm but the shop told me that it was a mistake and that the bike comes with 38 mm tires (could be important for off road).

I agree with ColonelSanders, nobody bother to review those bikes and it clearly doesn't ease the choice !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.