Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Reviving an old Stumpjumper

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-19, 10:35 PM
Retfor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

im looking at getting an old stumpjumper that needs some work and reviving it. (not sure the year, but i would guess pre-'98 as the specialized name is on the top tube rather than on the down tube as it seems they switched to in '98.) i can get it real cheap, but it needs a few semi-major repairs. one of the things it needs is a new bottom bracket, which is something ive never worked on before. it also needs a rear derailleur and maybe a couple other minor things.

would these parts be cheaply and easily available to fit such an old bike? ive been thinking about getting a cheap bike for messing around on learning to bunny hop, etc, but if its going to take $50+ to get it back in shape, thats more than i wanted to spend. although theres a good chance id tire of it and want to sell it at some point. would it have a good resale value once reconditioned?

i picked up (free) an old roadmaster mtb the other day for parts. how can i determine if the bottom bracket from that bike would fit the stumpjumper? (assuming its still good, pedals were kinda wobbly when i checked it earlier, so unless it just needs to be tightened, that ones no good anyway. but if it were, do i just need to match the sizing?

thanks.
Old 08-09-19, 12:13 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
$50 isn’t much to cover a BB, RD and maybe more(?)

I can’t say whether the Roadmaster BB would fit, but it’s likely a low quality part and the Stumpy is a high end bike. It deserves better.

If if there is a co-op near you, that’s the way to go.

As as far as resale, the market has generally tanked for vintage bikes, but it’s a Stumpjumper and they have a following. People like the rigid ones for all-rounders, but I am guessing yours has a suspension fork? All the same, if you buy it cheap enough you should at least be able to recoup your investment.
Old 08-09-19, 05:19 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 430 Posts
Ditto on the co-op. That's a good source of used parts, access to special BB tools, and help with installation if needed. And it's a good way to keep in a $50 budget.

Bottom bracket spindles come in many different lengths, and length is important for front shifting.
Old 08-11-19, 11:35 AM
Retfor

thanks. yeah, its a suspension fork.

a coop is a great idea, as i dont have bb tools, but theyre not expensive to get. i found a couple coops sorta nearby, but theyre not super close and the hours arent great, so i may just get the tools.

if i do it. still undecided, i havent actually gotten the bike yet. it would be $30 for the bike itself, plus whatever it takes to make it ridable.

for the bb, do i only need to match the sizing? ive been doing some research on them, and it seems theres different types, tthreaded, push in, etc. will any type work as long as its the right size?

thanks again.
Old 08-11-19, 12:27 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Retfor
thanks. yeah, its a suspension fork.

a coop is a great idea, as i dont have bb tools, but theyre not expensive to get. i found a couple coops sorta nearby, but theyre not super close and the hours arent great, so i may just get the tools.

if i do it. still undecided, i havent actually gotten the bike yet. it would be $30 for the bike itself, plus whatever it takes to make it ridable.

for the bb, do i only need to match the sizing? ive been doing some research on them, and it seems theres different types, tthreaded, push in, etc. will any type work as long as its the right size?

thanks again.
Individual bottom bracket tools are not that expensive, but if you end up buying different tools for the removal than you need for installation, costs go up quickly. You originally set a budget of $50 for your overhaul. If you spend $30 for tools, there is little left for needed parts
Old 08-11-19, 03:50 PM
Retfor

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Individual bottom bracket tools are not that expensive, but if you end up buying different tools for the removal than you need for installation, costs go up quickly. You originally set a budget of $50 for your overhaul. If you spend $30 for tools, there is little left for needed parts
thats true, but then ill have the tools for the future. (not that i plan on doing a lot of bb work, but still...) so i dont consider them as part of the cost so much.

and i could get the tools on aliexpress for like 10-15. i dont mind waiting a bit for them.