Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

beware of city bus drivers

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-09, 04:58 AM
GreenGrasshoppr
Opt-in Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

and bad infrastructure too

(with labeled photo of how the cyclist died)

https://www.ottawacitizen.com/Crossro...635/story.html
Old 09-18-09, 09:51 AM
Limey1212
English Bloke

Bikes: I presently ride a Fuji Sportif 1.1, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra '09, a "home brew" Cyclocross, and a Trek Allant.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah that's just nuts, who on earth thought that design was safe?
Who has the right of way? How will they determine fault?
Just a bad design all round.
Old 09-18-09, 07:27 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Who had right of way? Do you really have to ask?

Cyclist crossed the sidewalk and rode in front of a moving bus. Tragic, but....

Don't most people learn in kindergarten to look before entering a street?
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 09-18-09, 11:13 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
We've seen these type of bike lanes that end abruptly next to a bus stop! Incredible. The problem here is that it's a fast merge when there should have been a stop sign for the cyclist.
Old 09-19-09, 03:19 AM
PluperfectArson
沒有腳踏車的居民

Bikes: Mericier Kilo TT Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buses rule the road!
Old 09-19-09, 04:48 AM
Widsith
Philologist

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807
Who had right of way? Do you really have to ask?

Cyclist crossed the sidewalk and rode in front of a moving bus. Tragic, but....

Don't most people learn in kindergarten to look before entering a street?
It's true that the bus would have the right-of-way in that situation, and I wouldn't consider the bus driver to be at fault. However, that doesn't look like an easy intersection for a cyclist to handle. You'd have to be watching for pedestrians on the sidewalk from both directions, plus buses coming from the left on the road, plus preparing to ride off the curb at an angle. In my own case, with my permanently sore and stiff neck, it would be difficult to turn my head far enough to get a good view to the left because of the angle with which the path meets the road. Also, I'm sure I'd be giving a large part of my attention to my brakes and steering as my front wheel dropped off that curb at a sharp angle. It's a cyclist's responsibility not to run in front of other traffic, but that intersection seems to me to offer too many factors to keep track of all at the same time.
Old 09-19-09, 08:36 AM
layedback1

Bikes: RANS Stratus and a Mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This summer I was riding downtown in a marked cycle lane. A bus pulled up next to me at a stop lite, and the driver opened the door. He asked if I felt safe riding there. I told him everything was cool, Im in my lane and your are in yours. He seemed not to know what to say. Door closed lite changed and we both rode away.
Old 09-19-09, 09:58 AM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Widsith
It's true that the bus would have the right-of-way in that situation, and I wouldn't consider the bus driver to be at fault. However, that doesn't look like an easy intersection for a cyclist to handle. You'd have to be watching for pedestrians on the sidewalk from both directions, plus buses coming from the left on the road, plus preparing to ride off the curb at an angle. In my own case, with my permanently sore and stiff neck, it would be difficult to turn my head far enough to get a good view to the left because of the angle with which the path meets the road. Also, I'm sure I'd be giving a large part of my attention to my brakes and steering as my front wheel dropped off that curb at a sharp angle. It's a cyclist's responsibility not to run in front of other traffic, but that intersection seems to me to offer too many factors to keep track of all at the same time.
Given the setup there I'd either stop totally before entering the sidwalk area, or ride onto the sidewalk, check traffic, then drop down onto the street (This option would give me the ability to use a rear-view mirror to check traffic, something I'd most definitely be using if I had problems turning my head enough to check for traffic coming up behind me!)

Bottom line is that YOU have to take responsibility for your own safety in a situation like this... no WAY I'd come bombing up that bike path and onto the street without a clear line of sight to see that there wasn't any oncoming traffic!

My guess? The cyclist probably did that a lot... MOST of the time there would NOT be a bus coming, and the rider got complacent and stopped bothering to look.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 09-19-09, 12:55 PM
Widsith
Philologist

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807
My guess? The cyclist probably did that a lot... MOST of the time there would NOT be a bus coming, and the rider got complacent and stopped bothering to look.
You're probably right. I suspect complacency plays a large part in many mistakes made by both drivers and cyclists. Do something often enough to do it without thinking, and you may find yourself not thinking at a time when thinking is desperately needed. I'm as guilty of that as anyone.
Old 09-19-09, 05:39 PM
wheel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I read that right there is a curb. So I would stop and place my bike on the road.

Why can't the bus simply honk the horn if they go by the intersection.

I am guessing there will be a crack down on cyclist now.
I loved the last one 300 cyclists and 500 motorists. (mostly because I don't live in the city) I do have a bell though.