Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling caps?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling caps?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-16, 08:12 PM
zanq

Bikes: Tumbleweed Prospector 29+, 1991 Schwinn High Plains resto-mod, 1998 Schwinn Homegrown resto-mod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling caps?

I'm curious to know more about cycling caps. My eyes are pretty sensitive to light so I'm always wearing a hat and sunglasses outside. For years, I've just dealt with the fact that when riding, I don't have a brim to help shield my eyes. I'm starting to think about wearing a cap under my helmet.

I see there are a variety of materials - cotton, poly/wicking, and wool. I'm leaning more toward a wicking model for all-around, all year use but cotton seems to be the most common. I question how comfy a cotton hat would be once soaked with sweat (I sweat like a pig).

So I'm just curious who here wears a cap while riding and what, if any, tips you can offer?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-16, 08:19 PM
Vexxer

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 LE, Specialized Tricross Elite Disc (2013), Motobecane 529HT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling caps brims are not big enough to shield your eyes, at least none I have ever seen.
Old 05-02-16, 08:25 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll wear a cap to keep my head warm, or in warm weather to be a little more presentable with helmet removed, but never gave much thought to the bill serving as a shield from the sun while riding; sunglasses - especially the ones for cycling that fit close - generally take care of that.
Old 05-02-16, 08:55 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Fashion statement is just about the whole story. Not much else going on there.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-02-16, 09:01 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I like traditional cycling caps. The brim is good enough if used low, but they are too warm to wear under a helmet in a hot day. I know this is the Road forum, but you can break the rules and wear a helmet with a visor.
Old 05-03-16, 12:27 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Or wear just a cycling cap without a helmet.
Old 05-03-16, 12:42 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I wear one of these:

with a pair of Serengeti Driver sunlasses (rimless):

Old 05-03-16, 12:45 AM
anotherbrian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I like brims, they keep the sun off my forehead (so no need for sunscreen that'll eventually get in my eyes), and the sun out of my eyes when it is low to the horizon.

I've got a big head though, and even Walz's largest cap is a tight fit ... then the already tight fitting helmet is too much. And in the summer it's just too hot.

One of Specialized's mid-priced road helmets has an internal visor that is attached to the padding, and it is absolutely awesome. All the utility of a brimed cap without any of the tight fitting, heat stroke inducing, downsides. I think it's called the Airnet ... ~$120 during a recent sale.
Old 05-03-16, 01:41 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Fashion statement is just about the whole story. Not much else going on there.
aero helmet, aero handlebar, and a cap underneath the helmet with the bill flipped up....
Old 05-03-16, 07:44 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I wear cheap cotton hats under my helmet, they do a good job of soaking up the sweat and the brim does shield my eyes when riding directly into the sun.
Old 05-03-16, 07:46 AM
BamaBulldawg

Bikes: (2) CAAD 10's

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too am light sensitive and always wear a cap. The bill blocks the sun early morning and late afternoon very nicely. I wear one all summer with no issues in Deep South heat.
Old 05-03-16, 07:52 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
I find that a cycling cap works well for me under a helmet. It's not a fashion statement, it's functional. It's cheap and it works as a sweat band. I also find that if I am wearing sunglasses only, light can enter the top of the glasses and throw a lot of glare on the lenses. The short bill keeps that light out and I don't have any glare.

I don't know why people feel like they have to dismiss the cycling cap as an anachronism or hipster fashion statement. There is a reason it has stuck around for decades.

But it is against The Rules to wear one when not engaging in cycling activity. There has to be some order for crying out loud.
Old 05-03-16, 08:33 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Vexxer
Cycling caps brims are not big enough to shield your eyes, at least none I have ever seen.
Yes they are. They especially help when you're riding into the sun during sunrise and sunset, when you're blinded even with sunglasses on.

To the OP, cotton is fine when you sweat. Waltz caps are awesome, and they come in two sizes which is nice if you have a larger or smaller skull. Most come in a one size fits all.
Old 05-03-16, 09:07 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
I find that a cycling cap works well for me under a helmet. It's not a fashion statement, it's functional. It's cheap and it works as a sweat band. I also find that if I am wearing sunglasses only, light can enter the top of the glasses and throw a lot of glare on the lenses. The short bill keeps that light out and I don't have any glare.

I don't know why people feel like they have to dismiss the cycling cap as an anachronism or hipster fashion statement. There is a reason it has stuck around for decades.

But it is against The Rules to wear one when not engaging in cycling activity. There has to be some order for crying out loud.
I'll respect your opinion. I just want to clarify that I wasn't thinking of the cycling cap as a HIPSTER fashion statement. IMO it was just a fashion statement long before hipsters were even invented. There could be a stupider design for a cap, but I can't think of one. I would be a bit more forgiving if I had never seen one worn with the bill flipped up, or backwards, or backwards with the bill flipped up. Unfortunately I have seen all of those things...and they cannot be unseen.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-03-16, 09:23 AM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I started wearing cycling caps a few years ago, but have been wearing wicking head covers for the better part of the last decade. The cap I currently wear is a PrimalWear, which has a very nice and light material that breathes well and the wicking properties cool well.

1- keeps sweat out of my eyes
2- keeps the bugs out of my hair
3- keeps the sun off my head (fair skin and close-cropped haircut)
4- keeps my head cooler than no cover at all
5- keeps the sun out of my eyes when on the tops or hoods
6- helps my sunglasses in keeping the wind out of my eyes
7- the peak can be up to give greater viability, like when in the drops... peak down otherwise
8- Helps keep my helmet fresh
9- I don't have to wear sunblock on certain areas of my face and head
10- I look like a damn fool with a cycling cap and hairy legs, and I revel in it
Old 05-03-16, 09:26 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
I'll respect your opinion. I just want to clarify that I wasn't thinking of the cycling cap as a HIPSTER fashion statement. IMO it was just a fashion statement long before hipsters were even invented. There could be a stupider design for a cap, but I can't think of one. I would be a bit more forgiving if I had never seen one worn with the bill flipped up, or backwards, or backwards with the bill flipped up. Unfortunately I have seen all of those things...and they cannot be unseen.
How about the beret?

Doesn't keep anything out of your eyes or face. Only makes your head hot when warm. Doesn't do much to keep your head warm when cold. Only becomes a sopping wet bag in the rain.
Old 05-03-16, 09:30 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm a big fan of them. While the brims aren't long, they are long enough to shield the gap between the top of your sunglasses and your helmet. I have both cotton and a wicking material one. Most of mine are from Waltz, but I have one or two not from them. They also do a great job of stopping the sweat from getting into your eyes. Another added benefit - once you're done, or if you take a break, you don't have helmet hair in the sense that your hair is compressed except for areas under the vents.
Old 05-03-16, 09:31 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
There could be a stupider design for a cap, but I can't think of one.
A cycling cap:
1. is cheap and readily available in a wide variety of designs
2. is just warm enough for 40-50 degree weather
3. acts as a sweatband. Also, the short bill allows sweat to drip off in front of your face instead of on your glasses.

Doesn't seem useless to me.
Old 05-03-16, 09:32 AM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
I wear one all the time too, and I probably have collected 6 or 8 of them, all makes, models, materials. When it's hot and sunny (as it is frequently here in southern Arizona), I wear a wicking job. And if worn properly, the bill absolutely helps to keep the sun out of my eyes.
Old 05-03-16, 09:35 AM
melloveloyellow

Bikes: RitcheyAscent, FisherMontare

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pace Coolmax Cycling Cap - Outside Outfitters

I've been wearing these for many 1000s of miles. Very comfortable and sweat-wicking. Yes, the visor is effective too. I do not wear a helmet.
Old 05-03-16, 09:37 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Cyclists and golfers can take the simplest thing and change it into a major undertaking.

It's a cap, that's all. We are not smashing atoms or sending a man to Mars here.
Old 05-03-16, 09:43 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13720 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,508 Posts
I wear cycling caps quite often. The brim will help keep sun out of your eyes, especially when used in conjunction with sun glasses. They will soak up sweat pretty well and keep my head from getting too cold in temps down to the mid-30s. On particularly hot days, I have a couple of caps that are made from jersey material that wick well. I usually skip the cap in moderate weather though.

There also fashionable way to keep my hair out of my eyes, when I'm working at the shop.
Old 05-03-16, 09:50 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Cyclists and golfers can take the simplest thing and change it into a major undertaking.

It's a cap, that's all. We are not smashing atoms or sending a man to Mars here.
But then what would we fill 20 pages with?
Old 05-03-16, 09:52 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Originally Posted by rjones28
I wear cycling caps quite often. The brim will help keep sun out of your eyes, especially when used in conjunction with sun glasses. They will soak up sweat pretty well and keep my head from getting too cold in temps down to the mid-30s. On particularly hot days, I have a couple of caps that are made from jersey material that wick well. I usually skip the cap in moderate weather though.

There also fashionable way to keep my hair out of my eyes, when I'm working at the shop.
I want to make a crack here about breaking the rules, but mostly I'm just jealous that you have a good enough hairline that you need to keep hair out of your eyes.
Old 05-03-16, 09:54 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I was experimenting w/ a cycling cap last year, seems like I could shield my eyes if I pulled it low enough that the visor was basically in front of my glasses. I am back to a baseball hat now, w/ visor perpendicular to my eyeglass lenses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.