Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Road cyclist using so called "mountain bike" (SPD's) pedals??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-16, 02:36 PM
martslc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just wondering how many roadyie's use the so called "mountain bike" pedals?? I've got some speedplay zero's however walking is not good over 20 feet for me but the shoes for "mountain bike" pedels (SPD's) look so much the better design. I've heard some say the SPD's are just as easy to clip into but I myself do not know as I have never used them.

Thoughts???
Old 06-01-16, 02:45 PM
Wittyname
Some Guy on the Road

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot, Trek Domane

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Plenty of us do, no one that I've ever ridden with has ever cared one way or another how I clip in

I'm a fan of Crank Bros Eggbeaters, personally
Old 06-01-16, 02:49 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Can't compare to Speedplays since I've never used those, but I've been happy with the MTB SPD pedals and shoes even though I only have road bikes. They clip in and out easily and hold securely so I see no reason to even try cleat designs that make walking more difficult.
Old 06-01-16, 03:02 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I use Shimano PD-M8000 cyclocross SPD pedals and touring shoes on my fixed-gear road bike. I ride the bike very hard.

Keep in mind that there are two types of SPD cleats.

SH51 cleats are more secure, for experienced aggressive riders and racers. SH56 cleats are easier to get out of, marketed for touring and beginners.

Most people in shops don't even know this. Make sure you are getting the right kind for your style of riding.

-Tim-
Old 06-01-16, 03:12 PM
melloveloyellow

Bikes: RitcheyAscent, FisherMontare

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All paved riding for me as well, with Shimano PD-M540 pedals. Very easy to clip in/out w/the M (56) cleats. No penguin-walk with Pearl Izumi X-Alp Drift bike shoes, either. From what I've read here on the forums, the cleats will last a long time w/the shoe protection while walking.
Old 06-01-16, 03:20 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
How much walking are you planning to do?
Old 06-01-16, 03:40 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Most of the people I know ride SPDs. I have full on trail pedals on my bike. Because I like to be able to walk around when not on the bike. The walkability of SPD over SPD-SL/Look is really the deciding factor for me.
Old 06-01-16, 03:43 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Can't speak for the OP, but I sometimes ride to the trailhead for group hikes of about 10 miles. And when I go bike touring I only have my SPD bike shoes or sandals and sometimes walk a considerable amount in the evening after setting up camp in a park or during the day when sightseeing in a town we pass through.
Old 06-01-16, 03:45 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Over 20 feet.
Old 06-01-16, 03:49 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I have tried Look style, SPD and Crank Brothers. I prefer CB on and off road.
Old 06-01-16, 03:49 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Wittyname
Plenty of us do, no one that I've ever ridden with has ever cared one way or another how I clip in

I'm a fan of Crank Bros Eggbeaters, personally
+1

I started using Eggbeaters for commuting. As I started getting "road bike" specific bikes, I keep using Eggbeaters to keep it simple (any shoes, any bike). I see no reason to change.
Old 06-01-16, 03:58 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
I see tons of road cyclists using mountain SPD's (I use them myself). For the kind of riding that many of us do there's no reason to look elsewhere.
Old 06-01-16, 04:00 PM
Wittyname
Some Guy on the Road

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
+1

I started using Eggbeaters for commuting. As I started getting "road bike" specific bikes, I keep using Eggbeaters to keep it simple (any shoes, any bike). I see no reason to change.
This exactly. No way I was gonna walk the 400ft across smooth concrete floors from where I can park my bike to where I can change every morning and on the way out, and I liked the look of the Eggbeaters, so I started using them for commuting. When I got the road bike, I felt nothing lacking in my current setup, so I stuck with them

Old 06-01-16, 04:01 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are lucky enough that your feet do not hurt or go numb on long rides with SPD pedals, sure you can use them. I am not lucky. In my case they are fine for short rides, but for longer rides the small surface area causes me feet to go numb, so I had to ditch them.
Old 06-01-16, 04:02 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by martslc
Just wondering how many roadyie's use the so called "mountain bike" pedals?? I've got some speedplay zero's however walking is not good over 20 feet for me but the shoes for "mountain bike" pedels (SPD's) look so much the better design. I've heard some say the SPD's are just as easy to clip into but I myself do not know as I have never used them.

Thoughts???
I haven't used "road bike" pedals since the late 90s. Couldn't see the point of shoes I couldn't walk in after a couple of seasons of using both. I haven't looked back. Don't buy expensive mountain pedals either. The difference between a Shimano M520 and XTR M9000 is minimal in terms of durability and weight. The price difference is staggering, however. You can find new M520s for $20. The M520 also has the advantage of still having flats for a pedal wrench which makes installation and, more importantly, removal easier.

I also wouldn't go with off-brands of pedals such as Wellgo. The Shimano M520s are so cheap and so good that you just shouldn't waste your money.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-01-16, 04:13 PM
Wittyname
Some Guy on the Road

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SouthFLpix
If you are lucky enough that your feet do not hurt or go numb on long rides with SPD pedals, sure you can use them. I am not lucky. In my case they are fine for short rides, but for longer rides the small surface area causes me feet to go numb, so I had to ditch them.
A large part of that equation is going to be in your shoes, as well. Rubber sole shoes have more flex than the average carbon sole road shoe
Old 06-01-16, 04:35 PM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I use Shimano PD-M8000 cyclocross SPD pedals and touring shoes on my fixed-gear road bike. I ride the bike very hard.

Keep in mind that there are two types of SPD cleats.

SH51 cleats are more secure, for experienced aggressive riders and racers. SH56 cleats are easier to get out of, marketed for touring and beginners.

Most people in shops don't even know this. Make sure you are getting the right kind for your style of riding.

-Tim-
Not a roadie but I have those shoes and the SH56 and love'em in/out is as easy as it could be and no problem walking in them.
Old 06-01-16, 04:45 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by martslc

Thoughts???
SPDs are fine for road use.

SPD-SL has a plastic click where SPD has a metallic clang. SPD-SL has a stiffer vertical contact.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I also wouldn't go with off-brands of pedals such as Wellgo. The Shimano M520s are so cheap and so good that you just shouldn't waste your money.
Yeah, the alternate mechanisms aren't necessarily as good as the Shimano one. I have some origin8 pedals that work "fine", but my Shimano ones feel sturdier and operate cleaner.
Old 06-01-16, 05:06 PM
SquireBikesalot

Bikes: Garneau R1, Felt V85

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Basically everyone I know uses road pedals, I've only ever used SPDs. I can't compare them from personal experience, but I can say that I don't need to carry cleat covers and I won't damage floors or slide around on tile floors.

There's always people who think I'm crazy using mountain shoes/pedals, but you know, roadies, whatcha gonna do?
Old 06-01-16, 05:56 PM
melloveloyellow

Bikes: RitcheyAscent, FisherMontare

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't rightly know. The time I fractured the pawls in my freehub (DuraAce, no less) and had to walk several miles was unexpected. You just never can tell..
Old 06-01-16, 05:57 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
My iSSi pedals (QBP's house brand) are apparently re-badged Wellgos, and they are superior to 520s in every aspect. I switched from 520s to the iSSi, and have not a single regret.

...which is not a hack against the 520/540. They work fine, and they are indeed cheap. But the end all and be all, they are not.
Old 06-01-16, 06:05 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 881 Times in 528 Posts
I too use Shimano mt. bike spd shoes and pedals on all of my bikes, although I cringe when I mount the pedals on my vintage Colnago. I ride alone a lot and to some fairly remote locations so I have comfort in being able to do some walking in case of trouble. In my younger days I use to ride cleated road shoes with toe clips and recall some episodes where it would have been nice to have a pair of flip flops along.
Old 06-01-16, 06:49 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
we stopped at a bar the other day after our ride. There was a guy sitting there next to a bicycle. He had an ice pack on his wrist. Apparently he took a dive because of his road pedals and broke his wrist. I really like speedplay pedals, but the cleats get all gooped up really easily, and it can be impossible or difficult to clip in. Since most of my road riding is randonneuring, there is a certain amount of walking built in. I switched over to CX shoes and Shimano mtb pedals. I have not noticed any difference in performance. Nowadays, I just use the speedplays on my trainer
Old 06-01-16, 07:00 PM
katzenfinch

Bikes: Chapman Rando, Rivendell Atlantis, Trek 2100, Bridgestone MB5, Burley Duet, Trek 614

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I’ve used SPD cleats and mountain bike pedals for years, but on really long rides on my road bikes they would cause me hot spots and pain. I recently got some SPD-compatible road pedals with a larger contact area, and my feet are much happier. A few weeks ago I used them on a 300K, and my feet felt fine at the end of the ride.
Old 06-01-16, 07:14 PM
GravelMN

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I frequently ride to destinations or for recreation that involves more than cycling. It's nice to be able to get off the bike and walk around normally through shops, restaurants, or the deck at your favorite lakeside pub. I've worn my Shimano CT40s all day over many surfaces, indoors and out and nobody realized they were anything but regular casual athletic shoes. Add a pair of MTB shorts and a close fitting Tech-T and I blend with the locals as soon as my helmet comes off.

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against going full kit and do so for many group and organized rides, but when I'm just out for a day tour around the lakes, I am completely comfortable not looking like a roadie when I'm off the bike. I pair the shoes with Shimano Dual sided pedals so that I can ride the flats if I'm wearing my regular shoes for casual rides. I really don't feel the need to clip in for a ride to the park with my grandkids.

Unless you are going hardcore on an A-ride or for competition, ride with whatever pedals and shoes you want and are comfortable with. People who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.