Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Useless and Worthless Tools

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-16, 12:11 PM
techsensei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A couple of current threads got me thinking about tools that I think are inadequate, a waste of money, something I would never use, etc. For example, I've never bought a handlebar holder; the thing that keeps the front end of the bike from swinging when the bike is in a repair stand. The few times I tried one, it annoyed me more that the bars were immobile. Until I became a total tool geek, I'd never buy the "fake pedal" thingie either ... the thing you screw into the right crankarm for when you're building up a bike. Why not just screw in a pedal? Waste of money to look more "pro."

What tool do you never see yourself buying? What tools have you bought that you ended up regretting?
Old 05-11-16, 12:19 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I've found my handlebar holder to be extremely useful when building up bikes. For everyday maintenance, it's not super useful, but I like to use it when doing jobs where keeping the handlebars steady is helpful, like putting on new bar tape.
Old 05-11-16, 12:20 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
My Priority Classic came with a 2-ended 5/6mm Allen wrench that worked great, a pump that seemed pretty hinky but worked the one time, and a stamped combination wrench for the wheel nuts and pedals; the pedal end bent open when used. The intent of the package is that it includes everything you need to assemble the bike. I got feedback from the company, they intend to change the design of the wrench for the next run.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-11-16, 12:21 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
Park tire levers are 100% junk

When I was a pro mechanic I used a cable puller pretty much everyday as well as the dummy pedal but now that I just home mech I never use those things. I even bought a cable puller after thinking it would be useful but it actually makes things take longer.
Old 05-11-16, 12:29 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I don't regret buying any tool that I own. If I used it just once then it did what is was suppose to do. BTW I own one of the those handlebar holders and love it. I have tools that I may never use again but if I do, at least I own it.
Old 05-11-16, 12:34 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I once had three different designs of "Third Hand Tools" and never used any of them. This was true of caliper, cantilever and V-brakes. I was always able to adjust the brake cable slack by holding the pads in contact with the rims with one hand and snugging down the clamp bolt with the other.

However, a "Fourth Hand Tool", which I got for free along with a used bike but never planned to buy, has turned out to be very useful for taking the slack out of shift cables and for tightening zip ties.
Old 05-11-16, 12:38 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 1,439 Posts
There are very few tools that I regret buying. The first two that come to mind were really inexpensive initial purposes but ended up causing more problems than they solve.

(1) a Spin Doctor chain checker -- cheap little tool that gives you a quick and easy answer as to whether or not your chain needs replacing; great idea except that it almost always tells me my chain needs replacing well before it actually does. We've had more than enough threads about this, but it was the first tool that came to mind.

(2) a Park SW-7 "triple" spoke wrench -- Y-wrenches are a good idea, right? So when I bought my first spoke wrench I thought this would be a good idea. Little did I know that very nearly every nipple I'd come across would be the same size. Meanwhile, I rounded off more than a few nipples using the wrong size before giving in and getting the SW-0 (and then rounding off a few more even though it was the right size until I got the SW-40).

As for tools I can't see myself buying...mostly just things that are too expensive to be practical and even those I can't entirely rule out. I'll probably never buy a headset press because I can do the same job with $8 worth of parts from the hardware store for run-of-the-mill headsets and I'm willing to pay the LBS to install really expensive headsets. I'll probably never buy facing tools because dang those things are expensive. At the low end of the price scale, I'll probably never buy a nipple driver because I have a Dremel tool and a drawer full of old screwdrivers (and the tips on most retail nipple drivers seem to be too short).

Finally, I'll probably never buy a Abbey Bike Tools Team Issue Titanium Hammer, because I'm not the U.S. government so I can't justify spending $180 on a hammer, but if anyone wants to get me a Christmas present I'd really love to have one of these:

Old 05-11-16, 12:44 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Finish Line Chain Cleaning Tool. "Drip-free design" they say. This thing will make a mess of your bike, the floor and anything else around.., and it does a terrible job of cleaning a chain.
Old 05-11-16, 12:44 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by HillRider
However, a "Fourth Hand Tool", which I got for free along with a used bike but never planned to buy, has turned out to be very useful for taking the slack out of shift cables and for tightening zip ties.
I have a fourth hand tool and tightening zip ties is pretty much the only thing I ever use it for. It is really good for that though. For shift cables, I prefer a pair of pliers.
Old 05-11-16, 12:48 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Finish Line Chain Cleaning Tool. "Drip-free design" they say. This thing will make a mess of your bike, the floor and anything else around.., and it does a terrible job of cleaning a chain.
True. I've actually got two chain cleaning tools, because I guess I'm a slow learner. I started off with the Performance house brand, it didn't work well and eventually broke. I thought maybe the Park machine would be better and I guess it is...it hasn't broken. It's still somewhat less effective than a clean rag and a spray of degreaser.
Old 05-11-16, 12:50 PM
techsensei

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I have a fourth hand tool and tightening zip ties is pretty much the only thing I ever use it for.
I love me the Hozan C-356! I find it nearly indispensable for cantilevers and centerpull brakes. But I never use it for side pulls, and I have never even tried to use it for derailleurs; that would be pointless.
Old 05-11-16, 12:53 PM
techsensei

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
When I worked in retail shops, I would always steer people away from buying those things.
Old 05-11-16, 01:29 PM
melloveloyellow

Bikes: RitcheyAscent, FisherMontare

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Got these decades ago for my Shimano 600 headsets. I've never encountered another headset I could use them on.

As mentioned before, multi-size spoke wrench means multi-frustration. Just get a red Spokey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0573.jpg (96.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0574.jpg (41.4 KB, 78 views)
Old 05-11-16, 01:35 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
I must be the only person that builds wheels with the Park SW-7 triangle spoke wrench. I have two "dedicated" spoke wrenches that work much better on really tight spokes (final tensioning). But for me the SW-7 is easier to add a full turn or two to every spoke.

Worthless tools? The Park chainring bolt holder. I bent mine up pretty bad the first time I ever tried using it on a tough chainring bolt that would turn but wouldn't loosen. Any tool that isn't as strong as my hand is pretty lousy.

Originally Posted by melloveloyellow

Got these decades ago for my Shimano 600 headsets. I've never encountered another headset I could use them on.
I need a pair of these for my 600 headset! I used normal wrenches very carefully with a rag underneath, but would like to have the correct tool.
Old 05-11-16, 01:35 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
My 3rd chain whip?
Old 05-11-16, 01:39 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
I must be the only person that builds wheels with the Park SW-7 triangle spoke wrench. I have two "dedicated" spoke wrenches that work much better on really tight spokes (final tensioning). But for me the SW-7 is easier to add a full turn or two to every spoke.

Worthless tools? The Park chainring bolt holder. I bent mine up pretty bad the first time I ever tried using it on a tough chainring bolt that would turn but wouldn't loosen. Any tool that isn't as strong as my hand is pretty lousy.

I need a pair of these for my 600 headset! I used normal wrenches very carefully with a rag underneath, but would like to have the correct tool.
+ 1, I'd like that special tool for my 600 headset as well, lol.
Old 05-11-16, 01:45 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18381 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts

As mentioned before, multi-size spoke wrench means multi-frustration. Just get a red Spokey.
I like the multi-size spoke wrenches for carrying with me. That way I don't have to worry about having the right size, and I can even assist others if the need arises.

And, if a nipple has been replaced... I don't have to worry about it being the wrong size.
Old 05-11-16, 01:52 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Worthless tools? The Park chainring bolt holder. I bent mine up pretty bad the first time I ever tried using it on a tough chainring bolt that would turn but wouldn't loosen. Any tool that isn't as strong as my hand is pretty lousy...
^ this. I just sheared one end from mine. Does Park offer a Craftsman-like warranty?
Old 05-11-16, 01:57 PM
rfmarotti

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
My 3rd chain whip?
Old 05-11-16, 02:21 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Finally, I'll probably never buy a Abbey Bike Tools Team Issue Titanium Hammer, because I'm not the U.S. government so I can't justify spending $180 on a hammer, but if anyone wants to get me a Christmas present I'd really love to have one of these:

That's way too beautiful to use as a hammer, that makes it a Pope tablecloth..

My grandmother hand made the most beautiful lace tablecloth that I've ever seen. It has never been used as a tablecloth because it was too good. It's always been reserved for when the Pope or somebody like that comes to visit. The Pope never came and now my grandmother (and mother) are dead. One of my kids has it now. To my knowledge it has still never been used.
Old 05-11-16, 02:23 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts

If you can use that tool your fingers are a lot tougher than mine.
Old 05-11-16, 02:34 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Yes, I just replaced the chainring bolts on my bike with ones that take hex wrench on both sides, just so I didn't have to use that damn tool. Note I was replacing a chainring at the same time, so it was a opportunistic swap, before anyone says "well you had to use the tool to change the bolts anyway!
Old 05-11-16, 02:52 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I can't think of any bad tools I bought but years ago we got a shipment of made-in-Taiwan lock ring wrenches that said on them "Rock Ring Wrench".

I wish I could find the one I kept...
Old 05-11-16, 03:34 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
^ this. I just sheared one end from mine. Does Park offer a Craftsman-like warranty?
Park USED to have a good warranty. However I'll no longer buy a Park tool unless it's the ONLY tool made for the job. The Park warranty sucks and they refused to replace two tools i have that broke in use.

A warranty is only as good as the company's willingness to stand behind it. My experience is that Park does everything it can to get out of a warranty replacement of a tool. Other's may have had better luck but I've blacklisted Park tools as far as any of my future purchases go.

Cheers
Old 05-11-16, 03:39 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

I was REALY luck to get a pair of those DUra ACE Ax headset wrenches recently for ONLY $12.50 U.S. I got hen for my Dura Ace AX headset.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.