Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Topstone Carbon as road bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-20, 05:01 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

New to biking and looking for something to ride off road a bit as well as starting to get into road cycling. Any thoughts on how this bike would perform with the stock setup on the road? How about if I get a second set of wheels/tires? It seems like the bike would be clearly a bit slower with the standards tires and likely a pretty solid road bike with road tires on it? Am I missing something or should I be considering something else?
Old 06-13-20, 08:39 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Gravel bikes usually do pretty well on the road with a second set of wheels with more road oriented tires and cassette. You'll need another set of discs as well.

But you have to ask yourself what you mean by off road.

A 1x11 drivetrain is a pretty great compromise if youre willing to make it. You might find yourself eventually wanting a more dedicated setup for both though.
Old 06-13-20, 09:27 AM
Sandstrom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 45 Posts
I think that it sounds like the Topstone would be a great bike for your intended riding. I've checked out the Topstone and Synapse at the LBS and they are both great bikes. With the Topstone you get more tire clearance so it should work well for you (and would still be a great on-road bike). Tires are easy to change if you want to lean towards something a little more "road friendly".

I was close to picking up the Topstone myself until I stumbled across a great Titanium frame that I decided to build up instead...
Old 06-13-20, 10:12 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
I do exactly this with an aluminum 105 Topstone purchased last November. I purchased a 2nd set of 32 spoke and more robust wheels than the stock WTB’s, put the gravel tires on the new wheels with the stock 11-34 cassette, also set the gravel tires as tubeless. The stock wheels got a set of Conti GrandPrix 4 Season 28 mm tires, which on the wide WTB rims run as 32 mm. The road wheels got a 12-25 cassette as I don’t use this in hills much but can as it still has a nice 31 inch low gear thanks to the 46/30 crank.

Using a 2nd wheel set saves the gravel tires for gravel and dirt road use. Only thing I notice with the road setup is the bike is 22.6 lbs, vs. my carbon road bike at 17.5 lbs. So the Topstone doesn’t feel as quick, as well the bigger tires at a lower air pressure don’t roll as quick as 25mm on my carbon. But the Topstone is a very nice riding bike, I really like the feel with 32mm tires at 70/80 psi, very comfortable and I find myself riding this more and more and not worrying about speed.
Old 06-13-20, 11:18 AM
kosmo886

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I do exactly this with an aluminum 105 Topstone purchased last November. I purchased a 2nd set of 32 spoke and more robust wheels than the stock WTB’s, put the gravel tires on the new wheels with the stock 11-34 cassette, also set the gravel tires as tubeless. The stock wheels got a set of Conti GrandPrix 4 Season 28 mm tires, which on the wide WTB rims run as 32 mm. The road wheels got a 12-25 cassette as I don’t use this in hills much but can as it still has a nice 31 inch low gear thanks to the 46/30 crank.

Using a 2nd wheel set saves the gravel tires for gravel and dirt road use. Only thing I notice with the road setup is the bike is 22.6 lbs, vs. my carbon road bike at 17.5 lbs. So the Topstone doesn’t feel as quick, as well the bigger tires at a lower air pressure don’t roll as quick as 25mm on my carbon. But the Topstone is a very nice riding bike, I really like the feel with 32mm tires at 70/80 psi, very comfortable and I find myself riding this more and more and not worrying about speed.
Great tip. How easy is it to change the wheels back and forth? What is the approximate extra cost for your setup?
Old 06-13-20, 12:15 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
That bike has jacked up rear spacing on the rear wheel, can't just buy a standard wheelset for it
Old 06-13-20, 02:20 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
That bike has jacked up rear spacing on the rear wheel, can't just buy a standard wheelset for it
Rear spacing is the same as aluminum at 12x142. On the carbon version it needs a wheel that a shop has reset the dish. Only needs to happen once.

@kosmo, I spend about $450 for a 2nd set of wheels at Bicycle Wheel Warehouse (there are others as good), $40 for a cassette, I had the tires, but they might run $70-$100 depending on what you buy. The price of the 2nd wheelset and my need to make this into a commuter, drove the decision to spend the money on the 2nd wheel set, not a carbon version.

Last edited by Steve B.; 06-13-20 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-13-20, 02:28 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
It's not terrible on pavement with the stock riddler's. My rear has had the small center nubbies worn away at about 1700 miles. The front still looks newish. If I weren't encountering steep unpaved grades I'd probably swap in an 11-28 cassette.

I'd still look at something like a trek domane if you're talking more road oriented. Also figure out what you like to ride geometry wise before diving in.
Old 06-14-20, 04:27 AM
kosmo886

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
It's not terrible on pavement with the stock riddler's. My rear has had the small center nubbies worn away at about 1700 miles. The front still looks newish. If I weren't encountering steep unpaved grades I'd probably swap in an 11-28 cassette.

I'd still look at something like a trek domane if you're talking more road oriented. Also figure out what you like to ride geometry wise before diving in.
Appreciate the advice. Seems like the Topstone is one of the more upright options...seems more so than the Checkpoint. Hard to do a side by side with live rides, but the checkpoint felt pretty good and I am riding the Topstone this week. I think it will be the winner.