Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Lets do a SWOT for Eroica...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Lets do a SWOT for Eroica...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-23, 11:27 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I remember being pleased with myself for discovering that move. I also remember that my first ride on an integrated brake/shifter bike made that trick seem to be pretty small potatoes.

And I definitely don't miss the inevitable wearing through the bike's paint with my thumbnail at the right down tube shifter.
you must have slightly acidic perspiration, just how it is for some.

I found myself in line to order food over the weekend, the guy after me had just purchased a SRAM electronic shifting bike used. he asked how the shifters talk to the mechanisms… coin battery.
‘then he asked what the levers on the downtube of my bike were for, how one shifts. He was gobsmacked. You have to reach all the way down there? And “find” the gear?!?
Likes For repechage:
Old 09-24-23, 05:17 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
People who badmouth EroicaCA but don't ride it bug me.
Some Clown on FB said he drove a few hours to Cambria on Friday before the Ride , took a few photos of the Swap Meet area and drove back home. He got on the internet and claimed Eroica was dead and said it was lame.

Oh Yeah,, He came and left on The Friday and didnt Ride the Event , Why go then. smh
Old 10-04-23, 09:11 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
We need a 2024 date.

Other rides are getting calendared. (BWR San Diego is April 28.)
Old 10-05-23, 06:34 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
I must confess , I took the survey even though I couldn’t go. Based on what I read here and how much fun I have had at these events in previous years , I gave a very positive review. I really want to see it continue. Could it be improved? Sure! It cannot be improved if it does not continue, just words for thought. I promise I won’t break my hip 2 weeks prior , I promise I won’t break my hip ……
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 10-05-23, 06:45 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Cambria would easily be at its comfortable limit with more than 1K and all their entourage IMO.
agreed , don’t forget San Simeon . There are quite a lot of accommodations and a very nice ride to the event for pre - ride festivities. A quick drive to Cambria if you want to have dinner .
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 10-05-23, 10:04 AM
Gary12000 

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Inter, '98 Tommasini, '83 Trek 500, 83 Trek 720 '

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 110 Posts
Well gents, i just got home from my Cali trip on Monday the 2nd, and as my I phone is not preferred for forum surfing im just getting back on here, then i sought out this forum post, so my comments are a bit late.. but i cant resist to give my two penny's worth..

The biggest issue that I heard others complain about and my biggest also was the lack of communication, the Italian website is terrible, and is likely the cause of some of this, along with whoever mans that communication from Italy.. btw "How are we doing".
think the new organizer i think you refer to him as Amedeo needs to get a grip on that if Italy will let him..
I read all the stuff on here about why the lighthouse was a no go, i don't think its a matter of a few porto-potties and a couple of bike stands with a pole, i think they required to name the amount of riders, and then provide an appropriate amount of port o potties and bike stands for that amount, i think that would be cost prohibitive, the permit is a cost as well, "Oh my Goodness the vegetation may have a bicycle rested upon it...sheeesh gimme a break, watch out for that Newt its protected" i mean i like a newt as much as the next bloke.. oh wait none of us like newts...i digress... the requirements are onerous is my point..

ok so no more Lighthouse, sad but its really not that big a deal... just communicate the turnaround point with a printed map or in a briefing before the ride. " OK guys the lighthouse is not open to use because blah blah blah.. however the turnaround will be one mile past the lighthouse you will see a guy with a truck and a yellow vest on.." SAG stop will be in the parking lot on your way back another yellow jersey"... whats so hard about that???

The other thing i didn't care for was the lack of the Friday sunset ride (also not communicated) i had to ask if it was one or not. Last year that was what i thought of as the meet and greet, it was great that Linns Farm sponsored that, very very kind of them, and we struck up several ride conversations about bikes and people and made a couple friends for the weekend.. if that no longer an option maybe it could still happen and be a short out and back, just a 10 -12 miler with some coffee and cake back at the start..

Once again we had a great time, my thanks again to Manny66 for putting together the Cayucas coffee ride, we were at the back and those hills on the way back were challenging for us, i'm going to blame our heavy steel bikes and our old legs and the fact that Louisiana doesn't have a hill..

To comment on rules briefly, lets not try to get them strictly enforced that will likely drive new riders away..

For those of you I met it was great.. hope to see you at the next one!!!

Kind Regards Gary
Likes For Gary12000:
Old 10-05-23, 11:04 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary12000
ok so no more Lighthouse, sad but its really not that big a deal... just communicate the turnaround point with a printed map or in a briefing before the ride. " OK guys the lighthouse is not open to use because blah blah blah.. however the turnaround will be one mile past the lighthouse you will see a guy with a truck and a yellow vest on.." SAG stop will be in the parking lot on your way back another yellow jersey"... whats so hard about that???
I don't think the lighthouse was ever supposed to be the turnaround point. It just looked so much like it should be that a lot of us didn't notice that the official route went a bit further up the road. I remember hearing that the state official were upset about people not staying on the gravel path the last time we were allowed there. It's a historic site, so they're particularly sensitive. Plus, a witch once turned me into a newt, so I can understand why they need to be protected.

My biggest problem with Cambria as the site is that there just aren't many options for where to ride. You either get full-blown suffering with Santa Rita and Cypress at a minimum, or you have a short cruise up and down the coast. There's really nothing in between. Believe me I've studied the map looking for something else. The best I could come up with was riding down to Cayucos and then back up the coast past the lighthouse to stretch that out a bit. Losing the lighthouse as a stop really detracts from the appeal of that route, but if they put the Cayucos pier in for the less heroic riders that would help. I heard rumors that they once tried to get permission to ride on the Hearst Estate. That would be enough to bring me back, but I'm guessing it's not gonna happen.

Paso Robles had a few options for medium length, scenic gravel routes that didn't involve brutal climbs and genuinely dangerous descents. Unfortunately, Paso Robles seemed not to have the concentration of cycling-friendly business that Cambria is blessed with. That Cambria's biggest strength -- local residents who welcome and support the event.
Old 10-05-23, 11:44 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
They are listening. I had a quick sit-down with the organizers and they were sympathetic and asked me to do this.

It will be written up in a way that they see our passion for the event and want simply want to see it better and grow...
I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see what you presented to the organizers. Please give us an idea of their response.
Brent

Likes For obrentharris:
Old 10-05-23, 01:04 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 1,822 Times in 663 Posts
I would have to check with the client first.
Old 10-05-23, 01:10 PM
Gary12000 

maybe..

Maybe check with the client first? lol the second one disappeared ... my comment now looks moot, your post was in there twice for a brief minute...

Last edited by Gary12000; 10-05-23 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-05-23, 01:19 PM
Gary12000 

Newts

Originally Posted by Andy_K
I don't think the lighthouse was ever supposed to be the turnaround point. It just looked so much like it should be that a lot of us didn't notice that the official route went a bit further up the road. I remember hearing that the state official were upset about people not staying on the gravel path the last time we were allowed there. It's a historic site, so they're particularly sensitive. Plus, a witch once turned me into a newt, so I can understand why they need to be protected.

My biggest problem with Cambria as the site is that there just aren't many options for where to ride. You either get full-blown suffering with Santa Rita and Cypress at a minimum, or you have a short cruise up and down the coast. There's really nothing in between. Believe me I've studied the map looking for something else. The best I could come up with was riding down to Cayucos and then back up the coast past the lighthouse to stretch that out a bit. Losing the lighthouse as a stop really detracts from the appeal of that route, but if they put the Cayucos pier in for the less heroic riders that would help. I heard rumors that they once tried to get permission to ride on the Hearst Estate. That would be enough to bring me back, but I'm guessing it's not gonna happen.

Paso Robles had a few options for medium length, scenic gravel routes that didn't involve brutal climbs and genuinely dangerous descents. Unfortunately, Paso Robles seemed not to have the concentration of cycling-friendly business that Cambria is blessed with. That Cambria's biggest strength -- local residents who welcome and support the event.
If you are a fan of the author PG Wodehouse and his novels Jeeves and Wooster.. Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry play two characters set in the 1920's and well hilarity ensues... there is a repeat character who's main personality trait is that he is a Newt Fancier... it is unlikely that anyone will be interested in this, however i get so few opportunities to promote Newt Fanciers i have to take this opportunity...

Gary
Likes For Gary12000:
Old 10-05-23, 01:22 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
Plus, a witch once turned me into a newt
did you get better?
Likes For droppedandlost:
Old 10-05-23, 04:26 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 1,822 Times in 663 Posts
lol the second one disappeared ... my comment now looks moot, your post was in there twice for a brief minute...[/QUOTE]

usually Bike Forums won’t allow you to double post. I’m in Central Oregon, delivering a bike and a bunch of wine and the service is spotty. I did not mean to post twice and ask the moderators to remove the second one.
Old 10-05-23, 06:37 PM
Classtime 

Andy_K There is a potential ride from Cambria following the route to Santa Rita but pass the SR turn off and ride straight over some pretty rollers to the 46 and return. Riders could stop in Cayucos twice. Or continue on ______ Creek road across 46 onto Santa Rosa Creek road which we all take after taking a right off of the Cypress descent back into Cambria. I thought it was a pretty stretch of road when I led my wooden rimmed friend off course in 2022.
Old 10-06-23, 02:51 PM
Andy_K 

Andy_K There is a potential ride from Cambria following the route to Santa Rita but pass the SR turn off and ride straight over some pretty rollers to the 46 and return. Riders could stop in Cayucos twice. Or continue on ______ Creek road across 46 onto Santa Rosa Creek road which we all take after taking a right off of the Cypress descent back into Cambria. I thought it was a pretty stretch of road when I led my wooden rimmed friend off course in 2022.
I'm not sure returning on 46 scales well for a large ride otherwise this sounds good.

I actually really like Santa Rita, and if I come down again I may just ride over and back on that one. Santa Rita is hard but pleasant. Cypress is as much fun as a sharp stick in the eye, which is too bad because the road from the foot of the Cypress descent back into Cambria is very nice.
Old 10-06-23, 03:02 PM
Classtime 

I'm not sure returning on 46 scales well for a large ride otherwise this sounds good.
I wasn’t clear. The proposed route crosses 46 and returns to Cambria on the same road as the longer routes—nice rollers mostly downhill.
Old 10-06-23, 06:35 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
My biggest problem with Cambria as the site is that there just aren't many options for where to ride. <snip> Paso Robles had a few options for medium length, scenic gravel routes that didn't involve brutal climbs and genuinely dangerous descents. Unfortunately, Paso Robles seemed not to have the concentration of cycling-friendly business that Cambria is blessed with. That Cambria's biggest strength -- local residents who welcome and support the event.
That's a huge complaint from me as well. My other complaint about Cambia is the lack of any lodging that I consider to have a reasonable price.

I attended every Eroica in Paso Robles and the first one in Cambria. I signed up for the 2nd (postponed) ride in Cambria but by the time that it finally happened I decided not to attend. I knew that I would be riding on roads that I didn't want to ride (Hwy 1) so between that and the cost I decided it was silly to go. I love the event itself but I dislike everything about the move to Cambria. As long it is held there I don't think that I'll be back.
Likes For Choke:
Old 10-06-23, 08:30 PM
Andy_K 

I wasn’t clear. The proposed route crosses 46 and returns to Cambria on the same road as the longer routes—nice rollers mostly downhill.
Oh, cool! Just looking at maps, it seems like that still hits the worst part of the Cypress descent (the paved part!) and still has a bit of steep climbing, but it's definitely interesting. Maybe the descent wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't just dragged my sorry carcass up Cypress. Definitely worth trying next time I'm in the area.
Old 10-07-23, 03:48 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Choke
That's a huge complaint from me as well. My other complaint about Cambia is the lack of any lodging that I consider to have a reasonable price.

I attended every Eroica in Paso Robles and the first one in Cambria. I signed up for the 2nd (postponed) ride in Cambria but by the time that it finally happened I decided not to attend. I knew that I would be riding on roads that I didn't want to ride (Hwy 1) so between that and the cost I decided it was silly to go. I love the event itself but I dislike everything about the move to Cambria. As long it is held there I don't think that I'll be back.
And besides, there's nobody handing out martinis.

I have, with sadness, noticed your absence, Choke.
Old 10-09-23, 08:56 AM
Gary12000 

Perspective

Originally Posted by Choke

I hear you, we were newbies Cambria 2022 was out first time, we like it, plenty of hotels to pick from, great coffee, a ride that fits our skill and fitness level, PCH 1 along the costs is fantastic with a wonderful view..great restaurants..
i'm not trying to be contrarian... i think its about perspective, we don't know how it used to be, but its pretty good as a newbie...

Gary
Likes For Gary12000:
Old 10-09-23, 09:01 AM
Gary12000 

Safety concern

Originally Posted by Robvolz
lol the second one disappeared ... my comment now looks moot, your post was in there twice for a brief minute...
usually Bike Forums won’t allow you to double post. I’m in Central Oregon, delivering a bike and a bunch of wine and the service is spotty. I did not mean to post twice and ask the moderators to remove the second one.[/QUOTE]

One issue i forgot to mention, was the lack of signage about the event for people driving through in cars and trucks, and the lack of police being evident as a deterrent to cars and trucks driving to fast and too close to us on PCH1, i think i recall one sign as you come in to Cambria, it seams like last year 2022 there was a bit more police on patrol and up and down the roads, we got passed by a few cars and pick ups less than a 3 foot space.. this is especially a concern as we get closer to the lighthouse as the roads narrow through those bends and the hills.
Old 10-09-23, 09:59 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Andy_K There is a potential ride from Cambria following the route to Santa Rita but pass the SR turn off and ride straight over some pretty rollers to the 46 and return. Riders could stop in Cayucos twice. Or continue on Old (fify) Creek road across 46 onto Santa Rosa Creek road which we all take after taking a right off of the Cypress descent back into Cambria. I thought it was a pretty stretch of road when I led my wooden rimmed friend off course in 2022.
We did the 2nd option on Touroica 2021 (Eroica Cali was cancelled that year), the climb from 46 to Cypress is paved, but brutal! The first option (don't make the left onto Santa Rita), gives you about 40 miles and 3700' of climbing. Honestly, the coastal route from Cambria north to the lighthouse-ish and back is pretty easy even for flatlanders IMO. The loop I just described would be a challenge for many. If the organizers could get over the fact that there's no gravel on that route it would be a fairly popular option.
Old 11-20-23, 11:02 AM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
And besides, there's nobody handing out martinis.

I have, with sadness, noticed your absence, Choke.
When you did that ride with Gugie I was really tempted to pop down on the motorcycle and set up an 'aid station' along the route. Unfortunately it was just too far to go.

I miss seeing the people at Eroica CA, that's for sure.