Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is this front rack useful?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is this front rack useful?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-23, 11:35 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by RichSPK
I've ridden most of my life with rear racks. I recently got a Mongoose Elroy that came with a front rack.
https://www.mongoose.com/products/elroy

I strapped my rack bag to the top of it and I've been riding that way for a month or two now. It's not growing on me. I don't like all that weight through the bars. It also catches crosswinds, which want to steer the bike. And it (the rack bag on top of the rack) blocks part of the beam from my headlight. At some point in the future, I'll probably remove the rack and replace it with a rear rack. I'm not finding the frame bag all that useful, either; I'd rather just toss stuff in the rack bag or (on my other bikes) the panniers. Also, this frame bag is bolted to the frame, so I can't easily take it inside with me.
Perhaps a bike that costs less than $500, has only 1 size for all riders, and no geometry chart isn't well designed, fabricated, or spec'd. Just offering up the possibility that your frustration is more inherent to the full product.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-23-23, 12:23 PM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Perhaps a bike that costs less than $500, has only 1 size for all riders, and no geometry chart isn't well designed, fabricated, or spec'd. Just offering up the possibility that your frustration is more inherent to the full product.
If it makes you feel better to invalidate my opinion, knock yourself out.
Old 11-23-23, 12:30 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Shorter stems are more twitchy. Longer stems are more stable. That's usually a matter of preference and fit but for a bike with this style of front rack, twitchy on top of the problems you already have is the last thing you want. When someone says short stem in the context of a steering speed discussion, they usually mean 6-7cm being short vs 10-11cm being average vs 13+cm being long. Zero is frankly extreme.

https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/...-and-handling/
https://www.cyclingabout.com/steerin...teering-speed/
Zero is extreme, but still won't make a bike handle badly, just different, and you would get used to it in a matter of a mile or less. Boxcar stems can be easily found in 35mm, and are great. I have run a 110mm on my Surly, and down to 70mm, no real difference in handling. I prefer the shorter. When I change stem length, I don't even give the difference in handling a thought, only comfort based on fit. The handling is basically imperceptible.
Old 11-28-23, 10:27 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Basket Rack

Originally Posted by mstateglfr

This is from an errands ride yesterday. Basket and platform front rack. It had 18# of produce at one point and steered fine.
Yes, it's a town ride vs touring. Thing is, the OP didn't ask about touring and actually asked about how they would be for local town riding. Thars what you responded to, and then went on a touring rant over.
Heck, you even acknowledge they can be fine for in town riding, which is what the OP asked about.
All the rest of your posts where you talk about touring is just filler.

As for a front rack on touring, to each their own, bud. You do you and others do their way. It seems comical, and frankly on brand, for you to declare there is one way to do things and everyone else is wrong.
Again, maybe they are just not as scared of how a bike with weight in the front handles. Maybe they are just not as sensitive with weight on the front. Maybe their geometry is different than yours. Etc etc.
What basket rack is that? I have a porteur rack, and liked it ok, as long as I didn't load it up to much. Seemed like with a heavy load, it took a bit of muscle to keep the bike on the side of the path I wanted it to, mostly when riding curvy paths. Otherwise, it handled fine. It was better with panniers, and only a light load on the platform.
Old 11-28-23, 11:28 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Craptacular8
What basket rack is that? I have a porteur rack, and liked it ok, as long as I didn't load it up to much. Seemed like with a heavy load, it took a bit of muscle to keep the bike on the side of the path I wanted it to, mostly when riding curvy paths. Otherwise, it handled fine. It was better with panniers, and only a light load on the platform.
Its some Amazon purchased rack from Japan that I adjusted to work well for my bike.
I bought longer stays and a couple daruma connection bolts to tighten the stays. I also flattened the diving board/diving board so that the rack could sit lower and closer to the wheel.
The rack was $50 and as stock it would work great if the included stays are the correct length.
https://www.amazon.com/GORIX-Front-C...1b6112eae892fa

The basket I have on there is a half height 139 basket.
And I used to use a Jandd Extreme front rack that has pannier mounts and a platform on the top to mount the basket, but this more minimal setup cuts almost 1 pound off. I can easily toss the Jandd back on for the rare times I need panniers.
Old 11-28-23, 12:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by RichSPK
If it makes you feel better to invalidate my opinion, knock yourself out.
But he made good cogent points on what you said. It is a drop bar bike that is under $600 and has one size and really low initial cost components. I know that is frequently a turn off to people because of the issues with the bike because of how they designed it or in some cases didn't really design it. I know if I had to ride a bike like that when I was starting out on adult bikes I would probably be unhappy with it and maybe say yeah the bike is not for me.

The bike is a neat concept but at that price I would have ditched the bag and the front rack and put better overall components on it for that price. They always try to make it look cool and all but functionality and practicality is always at the bottom of the list.
Old 11-28-23, 01:43 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by user1617
Consider the front racks in this image.... What are they good for?
If I put on it my high school bag it will fall after the first turn. Any thoughts about it?
Your "high school bag"?

Couldn't an AI bot have come to a solution without posted crap on bikeforums?

What's the end goal here, "user1617"?