Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Now I remember why I quit Team Performance

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-17, 01:21 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Placed an order on 4/4/17 of 8 items. Everything showed on their site as in stock. 2 days later I got one of the items.

Now it's 4/12/17. I've used their online contact form twice. No response. This morning I got an email that 1 of my other items is being shipped and another is on backorder. What about my other 5 items?

I called and basically didn't get an answer. No apology, either. I am told that 5 business days "isn't that bad".

Their site leads you to believe that in-stock items ship the same day, so I beg to differ.

You suck, Performance. Now I remember why I quit buying from you years ago.
Old 04-12-17, 01:46 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
They have been fairly good to me so far. Only minor complaint is that the grey Keo cleats that I ordered with the new shoes took a while to deliver. But other than that, they seem ok to me. They also took back a jersey that the zipper bottom came off on.
Old 04-12-17, 01:51 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Performance was once THE place to buy bike apparel and components online. For me, that changed about 3 or 4 years ago. Service deteriorated. Shipping times increased. Selection dropped off. It's a rare day that I check their website now -- only when neither biketiresdirect, competitivecyclist, nor amazon have an item in stock. I think that happened once in 2016 -- and that was for a cheap computer mount.
Old 04-12-17, 03:49 PM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Buy local
Old 04-12-17, 04:17 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by floridamtb
Buy local
The last time I did that they refused to pay for my time and didn't even reimburse me for mileage at the standard IRS rate.
Old 04-12-17, 04:24 PM
floridamtb

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
The last time I did that they refused to pay for my time and didn't even reimburse me for mileage at the standard IRS rate.
HEY Sunnyvale... I miss that place. I spent 7 years at Moffett, lived in Santa Clara, Cupertino, Campbell. Used to go mountain biking in Las Gatos, do people still ride up the dam and on up into the Santa Cruz Mountains?
Old 04-12-17, 06:49 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
No problem here. Even though they often don't carry what I need, I have saved a lot of money.

They are really pokey at the store though - not very helpful, but that is a known quantity.
Old 04-12-17, 07:25 PM
reggieray
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by floridamtb
HEY Sunnyvale... I miss that place. I spent 7 years at Moffett, lived in Santa Clara, Cupertino, Campbell. Used to go mountain biking in Las Gatos, do people still ride up the dam and on up into the Santa Cruz Mountains?
Bay area sucks bro
Old 04-12-17, 07:50 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They finally shipped most of my other stuff. Now another item is magically out of stock until late May. It's an Ultegra 11-speed chain. You'd think that's a pretty common item.

I only made this order because I got some points from buying a MTB earlier this year and the membership more than paid for itself. I'm glad I didn't actually pay for this ****.
Old 04-12-17, 08:17 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
You guys need to get yourselves a dedicated "gear head" at backcountry.com, really an account rep.

Mine rep is Kyle Livingston. I email him when I want something. He checks stock, checks for discounts, sometimes finds a manufacturer's promo not on the website and does price match without me having to ask.

If a garment doesn't fit then I let him know and he ships the a different size before I even return the item and doesn't charge my card.

And always free two day shipping when I order through Kyle. I say, "Yeah, ship it" and Kyle charges my card and it arrives two days later.

-Tim-
Old 04-12-17, 08:46 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 541 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Performance was once THE place to buy bike apparel and components online. For me, that changed about 3 or 4 years ago. Service deteriorated. Shipping times increased.
Shipping times have increase across the board for almost everyone. Nowadays everyone wants everything next day and doesn't want to pay for it so they pick the most economical. I'm guilty of that. When I order on Amazon I always pick "free". Sometimes it can take a while but I'm never in a rush to get what I ordered. Almost everyone offers some kind of free shipping choice but... they have to make it up somewhere so they pick the most economical which usually means the slowest.
Old 04-12-17, 08:53 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Shipping times have increase across the board for almost everyone. Nowadays everyone wants everything next day and doesn't want to pay for it so they pick the most economical. I'm guilty of that. When I order on Amazon I always pick "free". Sometimes it can take a while but I'm never in a rush to get what I ordered. Almost everyone offers some kind of free shipping choice but... they have to make it up somewhere so they pick the most economical which usually means the slowest.

I'm not talking about the time the SHIPPER takes. I'm talking about how long it takes Performance to fulfill (i.e., ship) the order. In the old days, it was same-day shipping before 2:00 no matter how you had them ship. At the point when I quit using them, it was taking Performance 2 or 3 days to ship something via 2d Day Air. Free or discounted 2d Day Air isn't such a thrill when the item doesn't leave their dock for three days after the order is placed.
Old 04-12-17, 10:23 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Performance is still great about allowing saddle returns. Good place to buy saddles if they have what you need. I don't buy anything else there anymore.
Old 04-13-17, 09:07 AM
floridamtb

Originally Posted by reggieray
Bay area sucks bro
That bad huh? My (ex) wife and I left in 1993. We were renting a house from her dad in Cupertino, it sold in 94 for around $164K, then again few years later for $250K, it's now worth $2.4M according to Zillow. Should bought it in 92. But hey... south Florida isn't much better, just better beaches
Old 04-13-17, 09:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
Threads like these have made me realize that there are a lot of people out there buying a lot more bike stuff than I am.
Old 04-13-17, 09:54 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Does it still cost $20/yr, and does it still only save you 10%? $200/yr to break even isn't cutting it for a place that doesn't have the best prices.
Old 04-13-17, 10:16 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo
Placed an order on 4/4/17 of 8 items. Everything showed on their site as in stock. 2 days later I got one of the items.

Now it's 4/12/17. I've used their online contact form twice. No response. This morning I got an email that 1 of my other items is being shipped and another is on backorder. What about my other 5 items?

I called and basically didn't get an answer. No apology, either. I am told that 5 business days "isn't that bad".

Their site leads you to believe that in-stock items ship the same day, so I beg to differ.

You suck, Performance. Now I remember why I quit buying from you years ago.
Dang.

I ordered some Di2 brifters from them a few weeks ago...took a week to simply hit the mail. I figured it was because I wasn't a member.
Old 04-13-17, 01:00 PM
txags92

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I am about done with them as well. For several years now, every time I try to place an order, there is some problem getting logged in under my team performance number. I have ended up having to call and place the order over the phone instead. Now, I bought some stuff in store back in January, used my team performance number, and had no issues. Tried to place an order online last night, and once again, it won't let me log in under my team performance number. When I logged in under my email address, it has all my account info in there and shows all my purchase history, including the January purchase, but shows no team performance # on the acct and won't give me any way to add the number. So I placed the order and sent an email to their customer support with my order number and team performance number asking them to fix it. Today they came back and told me that their records show some other random # as my team performance # and that it expired back in August of last year. First of all, how did some number I have never heard of become my new acct #...second, how did I place an order under the other # and have it show up on my account in January, without being asked to renew the membership or told that I had a new number...and third, why doesn't either number show up on my current online account with them, and why is there no option to renew the membership if it was expired?

I have asked them those questions. Unless I get satisfactory answers and results, I have placed my last order with them. Too many other good options these days to put up with their crappy online systems.
Old 04-13-17, 03:17 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I frequently use their 20% off a single item coupon to buy stuff that never goes on sale like CK headsets, etc. The coupon doesn't work online for that stuff, but they will honor it in the store for just about everything but Shimano which everyone buys from the UK anyway.
Old 04-14-17, 01:00 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
I just got back from one of the local Performance Bike shops, and I think I'm done with them. I already won't buy online from them over customer service issues, but local has been fine.

I go in today to pick up some gel packs for tomorrow, and I pick up 3 that look good out of a bin marked 1.49 ea. I go to check out and they ring up 2.49 each, and I explain they said 1.49, that's when I find out they were not the same thing, just the same brand, so I said fine I want them anyway.

So when I'm done paying, I explain the only reason I said something was they were in a 1.49 bin, and the only answer was a shrug.

I probably will buy my gel packs from another shop in the future.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 04-14-17 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-14-17, 01:21 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Threads like these have made me realize that there are a lot of people out there buying a lot more bike stuff than I am.
If you ride/commute regularly, then you'll be buying just to keep up replacing broken or worn out parts and clothing. I noticed that after starting cyclecommuting a few years ago.
Old 04-14-17, 01:28 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I got a carbon saddle pillar at Performance last night for no out of pocket money. About $40 in points. Guy at the register pulled some kind of trick.
Old 04-14-17, 02:38 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Bought my wife a bike on sale there with double points and got this basically free:

Old 04-14-17, 02:42 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
If you ride/commute regularly, then you'll be buying just to keep up replacing broken or worn out parts and clothing. I noticed that after starting cyclecommuting a few years ago.
Correct.

I bet @indyfabz doesn't even ride his bike.
Old 04-14-17, 03:02 PM
Slackerprince
Redefining Lazy

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's all about the return policy.
If I'm absolutely sure I'm going to like something, or I'm just replacing an item that I'm familiar with, I'll shop around for the best price and shipping.
Nashbar and Performance are awesome for bibs or saddles that you're not sure are going to work out.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.