Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Taller Romic frame

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-23, 10:36 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 662 Posts
Taller Romic frame

$400
531 tubes, shimano drop outs

Serial number 481D122674
Old 09-27-23, 11:06 AM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
is "taller" metric or ISO?
Likes For droppedandlost:
Old 09-27-23, 12:07 PM
Robvolz 

I just found the tape

gimme minute.

60ctc both ways
Old 09-27-23, 07:48 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
How did you get your hands on one of these? I lived in Houston for 11 years and was determined to add a Romic to my stable before I left. Never could find the right subject. This one is definitely the right subject but the Houston bike budget is now a thing of lore. Very cool project starter. GLWS!
Likes For plonz:
Old 09-27-23, 08:46 PM
Robvolz 

Um, it was donated.

I've never heard of Romic before.

Neat info here: Romic - the Beginnings
Ray left Schwinn in 1959 and went to the AMF corporation to head up their production team through the early 70's. After deciding to forge out on his own he spent a couple years getting the logistics in order to open up a shop. During that time he consulted in Russia on a bicycle startup endeavor. His expertise in high quality building techniques and a great eye for efficient building systems made him an invaluable resource whose help many sought out over the years.

Romic - the Name
At first, Ray and Gerry wanted to name their company US Cycles – but that name was already being used. So Ray came up with ‘Romic’ – which is an affectionate nick name in Polish, loosely translated as ‘Little Roman’ – a play on Ray’s true given name

Trade Shows
Gerry remembers all the early days of the trade shows. They were in Long Beach in the 70’s (predecessor of Interbike?). And even earlier, there was a big show, always held in February in New York, near Columbus Circle. Ray made wooden display cases which held finished frames. Behind the frames, mounted on the rear glass, he mounted the full scale drafting plans of the bikes. Gerry remembers folks taking lots of photos of those displays !

From 'Long Time Past Cat2 Racer':
My Romic track bike just out of a self paint job. I bought it in Cambridge MA 84 or so. Of all the bikes i've owned (20+) she is one of my favs - and still strong, straight & FUN to ride Born

From a Vintage Lighwight Cycling collector:
In the late 80s, I bought a red/white Romic. That was one of the first bikes I bought used and it led me down a path of over 600 used bike purchases/sales and the writing of the Used Bike Buyers Guide. It was the thrill of researching and finding information on the builder in the time prior to the internet that sent me down the path of cataloging information on all the builders I could find information about. Loved that Romic.

Love of the Sport:
In 1980-81 I lived in Austin, TX and gave an Olympic Development Team rider a place to stay during a spring training camp. Eddy Borysewicz was the coach, and was very successful in the '84 Olympics. I was at the training session when Eddy B was given a beautiful bike Romic donated and dedicated to Eddy B because Romic [Ray] had heard that Eddy didn't have a bike. Eddy had emigrated from Poland just recently, and Romic [Ray] was, I guess, Polish. I remember the bike and the headtube decal: a Polish Eagle. And I remember how proud and stern and unemotional Eddy B seemed, like an eagle, too.

Last edited by Robvolz; 09-27-23 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-27-23, 10:46 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
I had one. Close to the same size, long top tube and black. Earlier touring (?) model, had 44-45cm chainstays, but a relatively short front-center for the large frame size. Quality builder.
GLWS
Old 09-28-23, 05:58 AM
Robvolz 

could this have been yours?
Old 09-29-23, 08:51 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
Nah Rob, I bought that one.

There used to be a Romic distributor in Olympia Washington. I've seen a few Seattle Craigslist adds, Wildwoods black one, a green, a purple, I was able to pick up a Red racer from the Bike Works yellow house a few years ago.

I eventually bought Stuart's, the red racer has got bb shell cross threading. The red bike has not been rebuilt yet.

I think yours is different tubeset than the one I built out.
Old 09-29-23, 10:16 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
could this have been yours?
Can't buy them all.
And a good thing I have no interest owning a mass marketed American bike. Not a slight, personal peccadillo.

Mr. 66 - where's the gold Galli reside? On the VN?

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-29-23 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-29-23, 12:01 PM
Jacob_R_59 

Bikes: 2000 Serotta Hors Categorie, 1990s Lennard Zinn, 1985 Guerciotti Jet, 1975 Peugeot PX-10,

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 30 Posts
Ah, Romics!

I used to manage a bike shop in Chicago back in the 1980s, the long defunct Belmont Cycles, 1444 West Belmont on the North Side.

I wrote Ray about having a custom frame built, but was never organized enough to buy one.

I acquired a massive 67cm full 531 racing frame from a good Seattle friend several months and will send it to either Chris Kvale or Franklin Frames for a repaint this winter, as the color is hideous…

It’s a big one. But the fully chromed fork and partially chromed rear triangle are aesthetically jarring…🤔

Nice brake bridge treatment.

I love the wrap around seatstays; reminds me of a Holdsworth or Bob Jackson…🤔

Nice lugs!
Likes For Jacob_R_59: