Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is anyone making repro headbadges?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-23, 11:57 AM
jPrichard10 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 112 Posts

I have seen some talk in the Framebuilder's forum about making your own headbadges, and I found this fellow online that recreated a Trek headbadge (out of stainless steel) for a restoration using electrolytic etching:

https://images.app.goo.gl/ZHPbXyyB2eUBpY6f8

Whole it seems like I totally could make a repro Trek headbadge for my frames that are lacking, I know that I won't ever find the time to actually do it. But if I did, it seems like it would make sense to make five or six at a time from a single sheet of brass.

And if I could do it, then it seems like someone else could do it and sell these, similar to repro decals.

And maybe it wouldn't be economically feasible, but buying old headbadges for my three Trek frames gets costly.

Has anyone made a repro headbadges for their bike, and has anyone ever tried selling them as a failed business venture?

​​​
Old 10-24-23, 12:36 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

forum member @rhm has produced some in the past

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 10-24-23, 12:45 PM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by jPrichard10
I have seen some talk in the Framebuilder's forum about making your own headbadges, and I found this fellow online that recreated a Trek headbadge (out of stainless steel) for a restoration using electrolytic etching:

https://images.app.goo.gl/ZHPbXyyB2eUBpY6f8

Whole it seems like I totally could make a repro Trek headbadge for my frames that are lacking, I know that I won't ever find the time to actually do it. But if I did, it seems like it would make sense to make five or six at a time from a single sheet of brass.

And if I could do it, then it seems like someone else could do it and sell these, similar to repro decals.

And maybe it wouldn't be economically feasible, but buying old headbadges for my three Trek frames gets costly.

Has anyone made a repro headbadges for their bike, and has anyone ever tried selling them as a failed business venture?

​​​

It is hard to imagine that custom reproduction head badges would be cheaper than buying old ones -- and you don't want to do that, so....

Just visit your local co-op and see if they have any weird or interesting head badges on frames destined for recycling that you could get for free or for low $$ -- that's what I did for an older Paramount -- it keeps folks guessing, and is fun!
Old 10-24-23, 01:32 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
since Trek is still around there's probably legal issues for an actual business
Old 10-24-23, 01:38 PM
jPrichard10 

Originally Posted by droppedandlost
since Trek is still around there's probably legal issues for an actual business

I wondered, but at the same time you can find Trek (and Schwinn and Cannondale and ...) decals all over the internet. But maybe they're dealing with legal hurdles that I am unaware of.
Old 10-24-23, 01:42 PM
jPrichard10 

Originally Posted by JulesCW
It is hard to imagine that custom reproduction head badges would be cheaper than buying old ones -- and you don't want to do that, so....

Just visit your local co-op and see if they have any weird or interesting head badges on frames destined for recycling that you could get for free or for low $$ -- that's what I did for an older Paramount -- it keeps folks guessing, and is fun!
I love the aesthetic of 70s Treks too much to mismatch headbadges. I would totally do this with some other Frankenbike. Schwinn branding looks like garbage to me, even if they made some very nice bikes, so I would have no regrets about slapping something else on there.

I'm not saying this would be profitable... classic bike restoration rarely is. But it does seem like something that someone thought would be profitable (or so much a passion project that they lied to themselves).
​​​​​
Old 10-24-23, 03:00 PM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts
H Lloyd provide headbadges.

I was looking for a Holdsworth 1961 headbadge and they will provide a reproduction one
https://hlloydcycles.com/pages/search-results-page?q=head%20badge&tab=products&page=1
https://hlloydcycles.com/pages/searc...roducts&page=1
I got an original one of ebay.
Old 10-24-23, 04:24 PM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by jPrichard10
I love the aesthetic of 70s Treks too much to mismatch headbadges. I would totally do this with some other Frankenbike. Schwinn branding looks like garbage to me, even if they made some very nice bikes, so I would have no regrets about slapping something else on there.

I'm not saying this would be profitable... classic bike restoration rarely is. But it does seem like something that someone thought would be profitable (or so much a passion project that they lied to themselves).
​​​​​

There are some really spectacular head badges on some vintage bikes -- I must confess I've never considered Trek's badges to be all that swell, design-wise. Lovely bikes, though, and I understand the desire to keep a bike "all-original" if you're into doing that (as I sort of am on some bikes), but I do smile every time I see the "funky" Loco Star Amsterdam head badge on my '76 Schwinn Paramount (which was repainted by someone else, probably in the 1980s or 1990s)

Likes For JulesCW:
Old 10-24-23, 10:19 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
I would really like to try making a more attractive version of the pentagonal plastic head badge Motobecane used ca. 1973. I'm thinking either chem etched brass or cut on a 3 axis engraver, then paint fill. The overall shape of the badge is very recognizable, so I could take artistic license with the internal details.
Old 10-24-23, 11:27 PM
jPrichard10 

Originally Posted by Insidious C.
I would really like to try making a more attractive version of the pentagonal plastic head badge Motobecane used ca. 1973. I'm thinking either chem etched brass or cut on a 3 axis engraver, then paint fill. The overall shape of the badge is very recognizable, so I could take artistic license with the internal details.
I wonder if it would be easier to etch brass or to etch a steel pipe (1.25" OD) and then "shape" the brass over the mold. The brass would have to be thin, but then you could do as many as you wanted.

I like the idea of making a better version of a plastic headbadge.
Old 10-25-23, 04:03 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Generally speaking Etsy is the place for this. Depending on how complex you want it to be it can be relatively cheap or as expensive as some jewelry.

Jen Green Headbadges makes some wonderful mixed-material examples.
Mediterrantio has some cheaper novelty headbadges for modest amounts.
VintageBikeStore has original headbadges from old bikes.
WendelinWombat for novelty stuff as well.
GabinandCo for lots of vintage French stuff

If you want cheaper than $35 a piece... it probably doesn't make any economical sense with the complexity of some of these vintage models.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 10-25-23, 04:09 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
I could use a Carlton head badge.

As obtained from my wife's younger sister. Just my size. 27" steel rims are going, along with the completely rotted tires.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-25-23, 05:46 PM
Bergz
Bergz

Bikes: Woodrup, Avanti, no-name

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 51 Posts
Woodrup cycles in Leeds UK have new metal head tube badges available.
Only any good if you have a Woodrup of course.... I'm considering one for mine.
Old 10-25-23, 06:19 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by JulesCW
There are some really spectacular head badges on some vintage bikes -- [snip] I do smile every time I see the "funky" Loco Star Amsterdam head badge on my '76 Schwinn Paramount
I do smile too, every time I've seen it. OK I've only seen it this once, here, but it worked.

When my wife got her '90s Litespeed, she liked the bike but not the garish decals and head badge -- so we deleted them.
I had collected a few cute, campy or actually beautiful head badges, just to look at. I said pic yer favorite, and this is what she chose:

We didn't have Uranus decals though, so I got some '50s style Rollfast DT repros on ebay. So now the bike's "name" (when we talk about it behind its back) alternates between "the Uranus" and "the Rollfast". Never "the Litespeed" of course. NTTAWWT

-Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 10-25-23, 07:04 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
forum member @rhm has produced some in the past
+1 on this. I don't know if he's still doing it, but he helped me with a badge for my Stella.

Here's an original Stella head badge (which I only found later) next to the first version Rudi made for me, which was done as a composite from various pictures.

I was totally satisfied with that, but he wasn't so he made a second version, which is the one I'm still using, even though I now have an original in a drawer.