Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Made in the USA

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Made in the USA

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-09, 09:53 PM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
Actually, I was thinking more about the unemployment in the USA.
All of our stuff is made elsewhere now, because people don't want to pay a decent price for items. Hence, all of the unemployment. Which makes people want to spend even less, moving more jobs overseas, resulting in more unemployment. Repeat ad infinitum.

Which is one of the reasons that people who buy stuff online from PBK and such make me sick.
Old 12-08-09, 10:48 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PlatyPius

Which is one of the reasons that people who buy stuff online from PBK and such make me sick.
Really? I make you sick because I bought my last set of Continental tires from PBK?

I know you are starting a bike shop, and I wish you the best. But I'm guessing that your very, very best customers also will be those folks who also buy a lot on line. I know that the couple of LBS's where I do most of my business seem to appreciate what I spend in their stores, and have even been happy to take my money to install parts I buy on eBay or work on bikes I buy on Craigslist.

If the bike industry would get its s*** together and offer American wholesalers/retailers the kinds of prices available to PBK I'd likely stop patronizing PBK, too. PBK is an industry-led problem, not a consumer-led problem.
Old 12-08-09, 10:55 AM
JTGraphics

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was told by a dealer that Cannondale aluminum frame will still be made in USA but carbon frame will be overseas.
Anyone know if this is the case?
Old 12-08-09, 11:03 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JTGraphics
I was told by a dealer that Cannondale aluminum frame will still be made in USA but carbon frame will be overseas.
About a year or so ago, after they got purchased by Dorel, they announced that all of their frame manufacturing is moving overseas, including aluminum. I believe the folks who are left in their facility will be assembling final bikes. You can do a search for all the original announcements - it was about a year ago.
Old 12-08-09, 11:08 AM
old and new

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JTGraphics
Running out of time with Cannondale. Checking bike by bike, store by store's the only sure way. Many frames are USA or Canada made. Some wheel sets or parts of... I'm not overly concerned over such and those who are would be better advised to revisit all else they buy; clothes, tools, TVs, fruit, nuts..........
Old 12-08-09, 11:37 AM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
Really? I make you sick because I bought my last set of Continental tires from PBK?

I know you are starting a bike shop, and I wish you the best. But I'm guessing that your very, very best customers also will be those folks who also buy a lot on line. I know that the couple of LBS's where I do most of my business seem to appreciate what I spend in their stores, and have even been happy to take my money to install parts I buy on eBay or work on bikes I buy on Craigslist.

If the bike industry would get its s*** together and offer American wholesalers/retailers the kinds of prices available to PBK I'd likely stop patronizing PBK, too. PBK is an industry-led problem, not a consumer-led problem.
I agree with this.
Old 12-08-09, 11:53 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Actually, I was thinking more about the unemployment in the USA.
Buying a bike made of all USA-made parts would be a decent gesture, but maybe consider taking the considerable amount of $ this would require and buy some good ole American-grown groceries and donate them to a food bank to help feed some of the increasing number of people who are having trouble feeding their families due to being unemployed.
Old 12-08-09, 12:47 PM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Buying a bike made of all USA-made parts would be a decent gesture, but maybe consider taking the considerable amount of $ this would require and buy some good ole American-grown groceries and donate them to a food bank to help feed some of the increasing number of people who are having trouble feeding their families due to being unemployed.
I would rather buy an American made bike because I believe in capitalism.
Old 12-08-09, 12:56 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Don't we all?
Old 12-08-09, 01:53 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SRAM is still a USA-based company. They do have a manufacturing facility in the Chicago area, where they make brakes and a few other goods. Most of their stuff is made overseas, not all in China though as they have a large plant in Ireland and some facilities in Mexico, Germany, and the Netherlands. At least the end profits from their operations do end up in the USA.

They also own a number of other brands, such as RockShox, Avid, Truvativ, and more. Their RockShox forks were made in Colorado until about a year ago, when that manufacturing was moved to Taiwan.

Likewise Trek is an American company, with some manufacturing still here. In fact they expanded one of their Wisconsin plants a couple of years ago. They presently have over 1000 employees in Wisconsin. They own the Bontrager brand of components, some of which are manufactured under contract by SRAM. So while many of their parts are made overseas, a fair percentage of your dollars are staying in the States.

Specialized and Cannondale would be similar to Trek, although perhaps not as much of their manufacturing is in the USA as Trek's.

Some other brands, such as Schwinn, are technically USA companies, but their bikes are pretty much entirely built in Taiwan / China.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 12-08-09, 02:03 PM
Engyo
getting bent

Bikes: 2008 Rans V3, 1984 Trek 620

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quite a few of the recumbent manufacturers are USA-based, but the components they use are mostly industry standard. Rans, Bachetta, Easy Racers, Cycle Genius, Lightning, Barcroft, and more. There are a number of USA-based trike maufacturers as well, but I am less familiar with them.
Old 12-08-09, 03:08 PM
BengeBoy 

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Not to pick a fight (though it's tough not to in this thread...), don't most capitalists believe in global trade?

I think that a hard-hearted capitalist would say it's a consumer's job to search out the most value for each dollar spent - that incentivizes brands to deliver their products at the best combination of high quality and low cost that they can....regardless of coutry of origin.
Old 12-08-09, 03:17 PM
BikeArkansas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to pick a fight (though it's tough not to in this thread...), don't most capitalists believe in global trade?

I think that a hard-hearted capitalist would say it's a consumer's job to search out the most value for each dollar spent - that incentivizes brands to deliver their products at the best combination of high quality and low cost that they can....regardless of coutry of origin.
Give a man a fish and he will eat one meal. Give a man a boat and a fishing rod --- and he will drink beer all day.

I think this makes more sense than whatever it was you wrote.
Old 12-08-09, 04:10 PM
BengeBoy 

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I think this makes more sense than whatever it was you wrote.
Probably so!

I just wanted to point out that the most rip-roaring "capitalists" I know are also big believers in globalism and free trade. If that's how you think, you should find the best deal you can, regardless of country of origin, and have at it.

On the other hand, I totally understand the impulse to "buy local" or buy "made in the USA," but I think that's more about community spirit than it is about capitalism.
Old 12-08-09, 06:38 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It was capitalism that motivated all of the USA-based companies to move their manufacturing to other countries.
Old 12-08-09, 06:41 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Engyo
Quite a few of the recumbent manufacturers are USA-based, but the components they use are mostly industry standard. Rans, Bachetta, Easy Racers, Cycle Genius, Lightning, Barcroft, and more. There are a number of USA-based trike maufacturers as well, but I am less familiar with them.
Several of these companies have (or are in the process of) outsourced their frame manufacturing to Asian plants.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 12-08-09, 09:48 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,054 Posts
All of our stuff is made elsewhere now, because people don't want to pay a decent price for items. Hence, all of the unemployment.
Actually, the USA with 6% of the world's population produces 21% of the world's manufactured goods. In addition, American workers average more work hours in a year than the Japanese and are more productive in those hours than the Germans.

When I left the factory this evening there were two big crates on the shipping dock marked "destination: China".

Best,
tcs
Old 12-08-09, 09:50 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,054 Posts
So nobody liked the American built bicycle I linked to in post #22?

tcs
Old 12-08-09, 10:05 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tcs
So nobody liked the American built bicycle I linked to in post #22?
Sucked!

Old 12-08-09, 10:19 PM
BikeArkansas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Sucked!

+1
Old 12-08-09, 11:42 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
The tubing for my custom c/f bike was made in Washington state; the frame was built in Peoria, AZ.
Wheels made/built in Connecticut (Topolino), headset made in US (Kris King).
Sad to say, the rest was imported.
Old 12-09-09, 07:21 AM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"Free trade" tends to disadvantage small domestic companies in competition with large multinationals. The smaller the operation the more severe the penalty.
Old 12-09-09, 08:12 AM
BikeArkansas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
The tubing for my custom c/f bike was made in Washington state; the frame was built in Peoria, AZ.
Wheels made/built in Connecticut (Topolino), headset made in US (Kris King).
Sad to say, the rest was imported.
This is what I am finding everywhere. Even the belt drive is evidently made overseas. All known chain drive systems are imported.
There are a few frame manufacturers, and I understand a couple actually use domestic materials.
I have even looked at single speed for a manufacturer.

Maybe there is not an American made system. So sad.

Concerning the capitalists and socialiists on this subject, I meant for this thread to be about bike parts and not social and economic structures. No problem discussing this with you, but not on this forum.
Old 12-09-09, 10:15 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Carve a bike out of wood. Problem solved.
Use Michigan oak - the loggers here need help.
Old 12-09-09, 10:28 AM
Billy Bones

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
. . .rather buy an American made bike because I believe in capitalism.
But isn't the flight of industry to cheap sources of labour and materials the predictable result of strict observation of the tenets of capitalism? Something about reducing costs of production.

Capitalism is a harsh mistress. . .who cares not for borders.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.