Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Super Sport Plus?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-10-09, 11:15 AM
atoms
Señor Member

Bikes: '86 Voyageur, '82 Voyageur SP FOR SALE, '88 Le Tour fixed Townie, 2011 Diamondback Overdrive 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1503273329.html

in case that goes away, here is the text:
I have a black men's Schwinn Super Sport Plus for sale. Quick release tires, aluminum rims. Has a comfy seat on it now, but will sell with the racing saddle that it came to me with.

Probably a 62cm -- suitable for someone 6'3" or over, I believe. Bike was rideable as of this fall, but I haven't paid it much attention since, because it is WAY too tall for me. Needs new tubes, a little TLC on the chain but would be good to go after that. Perhaps a nice winter bike? Or a project for these long, cold months ahead - it'd make a pretty single or fixed gear. Also, it currently has completely awesome grip tape.

See pictures below and e-mail if you're interested!

(I've saved copies of the pics in case they go away and there is any historical interest.)

I got curious about the Fillet Brazed Schwinns and it looks like this is a pre 1971 model since the forks appear to be chrome. See:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/schwinn-braze.html

$100 is more than I was hoping to spend on my second commuter. I was leaning toward holding out for a Le Tour or even a 1980s or 1990s road bike (a Fuji or a Panasonic or whatever I could find that is lighter than my current primary commuter, a Continental FG conversion). But I'm intrigued by this bike and saving $50 by spending months scrounging garage sales and thrift stores does not seem worth it to me.

I would probably not convert this bike to a SS/FG, but I will be adding fenders and a rear rack to whatever bike I get next.

I would not pay the full $100. It might sell for that in Chicago during the normal people's riding season, but listing a bike like that the day after a big snow and when the temperatures are hovering around 0 F suggests that I have some haggling room. But I'm not asking what it is worth, I'm just curious about the existence of the model itself.

Has anyone here ever heard of the Super Sport Plus? I spent a while Googling it and came up with nothing. I asked the seller to confirm the name and provide a serial number if possible.

Thanks for any insight or opinions you might want to share.

Last edited by atoms; 12-10-09 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-10-09, 12:06 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
At $100 (and if you can talk the seller down a little, even better) the price is right.

I've never heard of the "Plus" designation. That style of headbadge does point to being a '60s model. Looking through the Data Notebook, black was not offered as a color from '64-69.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 12-10-09, 12:08 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I don't know why he's calling it a "Plus", looks like standard 70's era Super Sport with 1 piece crank. His pictures suck but I think it's a 24", he needs to show a picture of the rear dropouts to be sure if it's a pre-71. Chrome fork was common replacement item. If it's a pre-71, it will have forged dropouts with built-in derailliuer hanger.

It has been rattle canned and the cable stops on the downtube are gone.
Old 12-10-09, 12:39 PM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
At $100 (and if you can talk the seller down a little, even better) the price is right.

I've never heard of the "Plus" designation. That style of headbadge does point to being a '60s model. Looking through the Data Notebook, black was not offered as a color from '64-69.
My take exactly. The pics are mere shadows. I can see that the crank's not the cheap type used on the old SSs, it appears to be a good one. It may be a lugged frame, a chromoly one at that.
Hundred seems good if it's the right size. Rather than my theorizing and everyone's trying to figure it out, you ought to look at it before dismissing it in favor of a Le Tour. A '80s -'90s Fuji or Panasonic is not criterea really, it's wide choice range there and perhaps more than a hundred.
For all anybody knows so far, that bike could be WAY above average. It doesn't look like a elect-welded SS, though it could be a fillet brazed. You need to look at it. Looks a 62cm anyway.
Old 12-10-09, 12:43 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Not only is the price more than fair (if it's in good condition), you get Suntour bar-end shifters which are excellent and valuable.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-10-09, 12:50 PM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Not only is the price more than fair (if it's in good condition), you get Suntour bar-end shifters which are excellent and valuable.
+1 My first thought when I saw that: "Well the bar-ends are worth almost $50 so $100 isn't looking too bad, especially if it is a fillet brazed SS"

On a side note--I sold my SS when I was young and naive (Okay it was last summer... but hey I'm new to vintage road bikes and I think I've grown a lot since then...thanks to C&V of course). I have been regretting it ever since and have actually tried to buy it back for more than I sold it for.
Old 12-10-09, 12:52 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by old and new
...I can see that the crank's not the cheap type used on the old SSs, it appears to be a good one. It may be a lugged frame, a chromoly one at that....
It's clearly a filet brazed SS with 1 piece crank.
Old 12-10-09, 01:08 PM
Ablaut
Latvietis

Bikes: '86 Serotta Nova, '77 Schwinn SLT 12.2, '73 Fuji SSR

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to see another C&Ver taking interest, I was gonna go check it out today but really can't justify buying it this time. Regardless of what it is, the price is right for Chicago.
Old 12-10-09, 01:17 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I like it and I'm not a fan of Schwinns or fillet brazed frames. Maybe it's the black paint.
Old 12-10-09, 01:22 PM
atoms
Señor Member

Bikes: '86 Voyageur, '82 Voyageur SP FOR SALE, '88 Le Tour fixed Townie, 2011 Diamondback Overdrive 29er

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks everyone for chiming in! The seller wrote back indicating that the serial number is on the headtube which I thought changed from the rear drop-out in 1070. But Sheldon says 1965:

"Before 1965 serial numbers were stamped onto a rear dropout. Beginning in 1965 serial numbers were moved to the head tube..."

That might explain the chrome forks anyway. I'm trying to schedule a visit to take a peek at it this weekend, assuming that it is still available.

So is this
https://www.angelfire.com/rant/allday...innCodes1.html
wrong then about when the serial numbers moved? Or is Sheldon? (I've been taking Sheldon's word as gospel, but he was human so it is possible that he could have made a mistake now and then.)
Old 12-10-09, 01:38 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,575 Times in 2,580 Posts
My 22" 1971 Super Sport came with a chrome fork, as did the 24" 1970 SS I acquired in trade for my '71. The '70 has a rear derailleur hanger, but the '71 did not. For both, serial # is on the headbadge.

Neal
Old 12-10-09, 01:44 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by atoms
Yes, it's wrong, I'm pretty sure 1965 is the right year.

If you're tight on cash, IMHO, you'd be better of getting a LeTour. The SS frame is cool, the other parts, not so much.
Old 12-10-09, 01:56 PM
atoms
Señor Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
Yes, it's wrong, I'm pretty sure 1965 is the right year.
For a grouch, you are pretty helpful!

If you're tight on cash, IMHO, you'd be better of getting a LeTour. The SS frame is cool, the other parts, not so much.
I am not exactly tight on cash, but I am frugal enough to live with the heavier components as is for a while. And I'm a bit impatient to get going on a winter project.

I remain a bit concerned about the Ashtabula crank after my recent upgrade ordeal.

I'm also ignorant about forged vs stamped dropouts. I'm just sort of assuming that forged is better, but why? Would a stamped dropout be a larger issue if at some point down the road I wanted to upgrade the dérailleur? or convert to a SS/FG?

Last edited by atoms; 12-10-09 at 01:59 PM. Reason: i was appalled at my grammar
Old 12-10-09, 01:59 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Forged dropouts don't bend accidentally as easily as stamped ones.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-10-09, 02:05 PM
Ablaut
Latvietis

Bikes: '86 Serotta Nova, '77 Schwinn SLT 12.2, '73 Fuji SSR

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atoms
I am not exactly tight on cash, but I am frugal enough to live with the heavier components as is for a while. And I'm a bit impatient to get going on a winter project.
FWIW, this LeTour popped up in the burbs very recently: https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/bik/1504007161.html. Don't know how large of a frame you need, though.
Old 12-10-09, 02:13 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
I have a late '60s ladies Super Sport which has the serial number stamped in the left rear dropout, aka, Paramount style.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 12-10-09, 02:16 PM
atoms
Señor Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ablaut
FWIW, this LeTour popped up in the burbs very recently: https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/bik/1504007161.html. Don't know how large of a frame you need, though.
Crap! Sorry. I mean, THANKS! A big frame is good for me. My Continental is ~25". I guess all thing being equal I'd rather have a Le Tour. But St.Charles... I wouldn't mind RIDING to St Charles of course, but the prospect of driving out there to look at a bike seems dismal to me. I might just go with the SS out of sheer laziness and car-aversion!

I guess I could have worse problems...
Old 12-10-09, 02:24 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have three 24" Super Sport frames un-built and two 24" Sports Tourer frames (one build, one un-built). (and a couple of 22" inch frames, one SS, one ST) Only one frame has stamped dropouts, there isn't anything wrong with stamped, forged just makes me smugger. If you're looking for one of the sweetest riding frames ever made, with the fillet brazed cool factor, there's nothing better than a Super Sport frame, except maybe a Sports Touer frame

I don't think you'll have the issue with the BB like on the Conti with the big bogger in the BB, all the SS frames I've seen don't have it.
Old 12-10-09, 02:32 PM
atoms
Señor Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have three 24" Super Sport frames un-built and two 24" Sports Tourer frames (one build, one un-built). (and a couple of 22" inch frames, one SS, one ST) Only one frame has stamped dropouts, there isn't anything wrong with stamped, forged just makes me smugger. If you're looking for one of the sweetest riding frames ever made, with the fillet brazed cool factor, there's nothing better than a Super Sport frame, except maybe a Sports Touer frame

I don't think you'll have the issue with the BB like on the Conti with the big bogger in the BB, all the SS frames I've seen don't have it.
Yeah that was clearly an anomaly.

I'm plenty smug already, so I reckon I don't need forged dropouts to increase my smugness. In fact, I'm probably too smug, so for the sake of my friends, family and cow-orkers, I should probably AVOID the forged dropouts.

Last edited by atoms; 12-10-09 at 03:16 PM. Reason: clarity!
Old 12-10-09, 04:04 PM
BobHufford
Keeper of the SLDB

Bikes: '75 Schwinn Paramount P-10, '86 Ritchey Commando, '87 Schwinn Cimarron, '91 Trek 990, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '4? Schwinn New World, '76 Swing Bike.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The serial number moved to the head tube in April of 1970 (sorry Sheldon fans) and went to the "normal" Schwinn scheme of two letters and five (or six) numbers. Prior to that the number was more Paramount like.

This does look like an early headbadge though.

Bob
Old 12-10-09, 05:01 PM
jacksbike

Bikes: Trek 7.5 Hybrid, Trek 1.1 Road, Holdsworth touring,Raleigh International,Ritchey Commando,Italvega Speciallissimo,et.al.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Also never have heard of a SS 'Plus". Absolutely worth $100, and they did come with chrome forks. As stated, the bar ends are worth half of the selling price, easily. Bike can be very easily overhauled, cleaned, regreased and be almost as good as new.
Old 12-10-09, 05:01 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BobHufford
The serial number moved to the head tube in April of 1970 (sorry Sheldon fans) and went to the "normal" Schwinn scheme of two letters and five (or six) numbers....
Just the Super Sport or all Schwinns?

This does look like an early headbadge though.
The rear dropout isn't shown clearly, but it looks like there isn't a bolt-on hanger....
Old 12-10-09, 05:11 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Here comes my next IGH commuter, 5 speed SA/drum and SA dyno/drum in the front:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
yellow ST 4.jpg (92.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-10-09, 05:44 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 959 Times in 625 Posts
That Super Sport is a great deal. I would be all over it if it was around here.
Old 12-14-09, 10:22 AM
atoms
Señor Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The seller had "a few people" coming to look at it yesterday. I asked her to let me know if it was still available after that and I have heard nothing, so I'm assuming that I missed the boat on this one.

While would be nice to have a winter project, I'm not in a huge hurry to get started on the next project so I'm not bummed about it. Really, I don't have a lot of time to work on anything until after the new year anyway. And now that I mention it, I have several things to do on the Continental:

- remove kickstand
- fix or get new rear fender
- swap in the 46t chainring for the current 50t
- cut down the flip n clipped bars a bit

And heck, just keeping a Chicago winter bike reasonably clean and lubricated is a project in itself!

I do intend to keep my eyes open for Fillet Brazed Schwinns, but also Le Tours or any decent road bike that would be a step or two up from my Continental. But I am gonna try to stop obsessively searching Craigslist for a while and see if I can hold out until garage sale season returns in the spring.

Last edited by atoms; 12-14-09 at 10:27 AM.