Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wireless earbuds while riding?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-30-19, 12:48 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Indeed it does. And the cause has nothing to do with the cyclist wearing earbuds, does it?
i never meant otherwise. Dead is dead, headphones or not. I don’t wear them but not due to safety reasons. I ride so fast that to overcome wind noise I need to crank up the volume to ear bleeding levels.
Likes For spelger:
Old 11-30-19, 01:45 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston

I promised myself that I wasn’t going to reply to this perennial popcorn thread, but these two paragraphs by @velopig had some unique comments that I have posted about previously: Especially in Winter with my ears completely covered.

Two mirrors and a fluorescent jacket. You win!

I wish you all the best and its too bad we need to worry so much about being killed and maimed while some drivers don’t give a S*&t until after they hit someone.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 11-30-19 at 09:13 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 11-30-19, 03:37 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig
Two mirrors and a fluorescent jacket. You win!

I wish you all the best and its too bad we need to worry so much about being killed and maimed while most drivers don’t give a S*&t until after they hit someone.
I disagree. In the 7,000 miles I’ve ridden so far this year I’ve been passed by, at the very least 10,000 drivers. I’ve had about a dozen passes that were closer than I would have liked, but zero or maybe one close calls. I guess I’m just lucky, or perhaps the drivers in my area are much more considerate than in other places. To me it appears that the overwhelming majority of drivers are quite cautious.
Old 11-30-19, 04:09 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I disagree. In the 7,000 miles I’ve ridden so far this year I’ve been passed by, at the very least 10,000 drivers. I’ve had about a dozen passes that were closer than I would have liked, but zero or maybe one close calls. I guess I’m just lucky, or perhaps the drivers in my area are much more considerate than in other places. To me it appears that the overwhelming majority of drivers are quite cautious.
And that is awesome. I also find most drivers in my town to be very courteous. The problem for us is, it only takes one and then, we're finished.
Old 11-30-19, 08:47 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Might as well not wear sunglasses, because they reduce the amount of incoming light and therefore compromise your vision. Drivers hit bicycles because they don't see them, they're not looking for them, or they simply don't care. Whether I'm listening to music or not has zero impact.
I had a friend that believed in this. He would always use the clear visor with his motorcycle helmet, regardless of lighting conditions.
Old 11-30-19, 09:04 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Nobody tell that guy that optically clear "water white" glass passes about 98% of light-- and it's pretty much only used in picture frames. Untinted polycarbonate is around 90%.

I think my sunglasses are something like 22%-- so they stop 78% of visible light. Combined with earbuds, maybe I'm actually dead and just don't know it.
Old 12-01-19, 07:23 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Ever wondrous is the flawed logic of the anti-headphone crowd. So if you wear headphones, you're going to get hit by a car. What about all the folks that don't wear headphones and get hit by cars? What senses were they not obeying that "allowed" it to happen?
Wow.. just wow. This is messed up logic, but if it makes you feel good, i'm happy for you.

I'll just leave it at that everyone is responsible for their own actions and can deal with the consequences.

BTW, i'll be ignoring all the replies... unless I don't.

Rant on.
Old 12-01-19, 10:16 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
No one is making you wear headphones. You can choose to wear them or not wear them. No problem. But when you start to get preachy, and that sermon is based on a fundamentally flawed concept, well, you're just being irritating.

If you think that your hearing is desperately important to your safety as a cyclist, great. The placebo can often be as effective as the medication.

But at the same time be very aware that there are people (like myself) who ride more miles than you, in heavier traffic than you, and have earbuds in all the time.

We have come to the realization that hearing simply isn't that important with regards to bicycle safety. In virtually every scenario, hearing an approaching car is useless information.

As a defensive rider, every time you hear an approaching vehicle, do you bunny hop up onto the curb, or dive into the relative safety of a ditch?
Old 12-01-19, 10:46 AM
sweetcyclists
Craigslist Addict

Bikes: Zipp 2001, Specialized Roubaix, Felt FA

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Obviously this is a controversial issue to ask on a cycling forum.

My 2 cents is that both extremes of the argument aren't fair. To say that wearing headphones will cause you to crash isn't valid. Also, to say having spatial awareness with noise has not value is also not valid.

The reality is that spatial awareness is absolutely valuable. Pulling upto a 4 way intersection and hearing the cars rev/accelerate, hearing parked cars being turn on... etc are all situations where the addition information lets you make informed decisions. Will not having headphones on save your life? That's hard to say, but I think it's fair to say it is safer to not wear them.

That said, it is still nice to listen to music while riding to pass the time, but I'd recommend bone conductive or directional speakers that let you hear sounds around you and listening to music at lower volumes. You may want to consider smart helmets, most of them have Bluetooth connectivity and directional/bone conductive speakers built in.
Old 12-01-19, 10:57 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by sweetcyclists
You may want to consider smart helmets, most of them have Bluetooth connectivity and directional/bone conductive speakers built in.
I already suggested these, not sure how they are on the streets.
Originally Posted by GlennR
Saw these at the local running shop. Not sure if they are any better.

BTW, when I hear a car approaching, I generally move a little more to the right if it's safe.
Old 12-01-19, 11:39 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
With wireless earbuds I have to stop to make a call because the wind noise is horrible. I think you'll have to go high end for that.
Old 12-01-19, 11:40 AM
sweetcyclists
Craigslist Addict

Bikes: Zipp 2001, Specialized Roubaix, Felt FA

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I already suggested these, not sure how they are on the streets..
I've been commuting with a Coros SafeSound helmet (they make road/mtb/urban versions), and it's been great so far. It uses directional speakers which don't sound as good as decent headphones but compared to listening to my music through my cell phone speakers it has been a big upgrade. Smart helmets cost more upfront though, but if you are looking for a helmet and earbuds it is a good deal though. I'm not sure about road cycling helmets versions, but they are getting lighter and sleeker.
Old 12-01-19, 11:47 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I'll keep listening to music thru wireless buds because I enjoy it and feel safe.
I can hear ambient noise when riding and listening to music to a point. The point where I cant hear ambient noise is when win tskes over and I wouldnt be able to hear anything without headphones either.

I dont need my hearing to ride safely. It can help in some situations, sure, but it isnt required.
If I ride in a predictable straight line and look around to what's coming up, I am riding safely.

Diddo! And the main reason I wear my helmet every time I ride is because it has the mirror mounted on it. Not for head protection. It's too late for that...
Old 12-01-19, 06:23 PM
Atlas Shrugged

I already suggested these, not sure how they are on the streets.

BTW, when I hear a car approaching, I generally move a little more to the right if it's safe.
You have mentioned in previous posts that you have been clipped by car mirrors over a dozen times perhaps it may be safer to take your lane until the vehicle has plenty of room to pass. By moving to your right it may be signaling to the driver to try to squeeze through.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 12-01-19, 06:26 PM
Atlas Shrugged

The new AirPod pro from apple although stupid expensive work really well. The microphone is located within the earpiece not externally and they really cut down on wind noise.
Old 12-01-19, 07:12 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by velopig
You have mentioned in previous posts that you have been clipped by car mirrors over a dozen times perhaps it may be safer to take your lane until the vehicle has plenty of room to pass. By moving to your right it may be signaling to the driver to try to squeeze through.
I do... if there's no room for a parked car, me and a passing car... I take the lane.

Once had a Lambo tailgating me and constantly revving the engine. After 2 blocks we stopped at a light so i got of the bike and tapped on his window asking if he had a problem? Of course like a real man, he refused to even look at me... so I signaled he was #1 .

I know if it's too narrow and you don't take the lane, they'll cut you off.
Old 12-01-19, 07:29 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,136 Times in 1,441 Posts
I do... if there's no room for a parked car, me and a passing car... I take the lane.

Once had a Lambo tailgating me and constantly revving the engine. After 2 blocks we stopped at a light so i got of the bike and tapped on his window asking if he had a problem? Of course like a real man, he refused to even look at me... so I signaled he was #1 .

I know if it's too narrow and you don't take the lane, they'll cut you off.
Hey Glenn,

Was that you?

Kidding, I wish I had the money for a Lamborghini.

Completely agree from DC riding experiences if you don’t take the lane, you get squeezed over

Stan
Old 12-01-19, 07:35 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by StanSeven
Hey Glenn,

Was that you?

Stan
No problem. sorry about the dent from my cleat. I really should replace those pedals.
Old 12-01-19, 07:53 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,136 Times in 1,441 Posts
No problem. sorry about the dent from my cleat. I really should replace those pedals.

cleat dents buff right out
Old 12-01-19, 07:58 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I just realized something. Virtually every single cyclist involved in a collision with a car was wearing clothing. The only reasonable conclusion is that riding nekked is the only safe way to ride! Makes one wonder if even sunscreen would be safe.
I tried that in the name of safety, but Mr Winky kept getting caught in the spokes.
Old 12-02-19, 12:18 PM
ikhilioju

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dreww10
Does anyone use a single wireless earbud while riding, and if you do, how is the microphone performance? I often make business/personal calls while out on solo rides, and my wired buds place the microphone down near my mouth, which concentrates the audio-in largely to my voice, save for situations where the wind is really strong. Since wireless buds have to pick up my voice at the ear, I'm concerned that wind, cars, etc. are going to drown out my voice. Curious to hear you opinions.
i use Jabra 65t and 75t. They have a feature called “hear through” that allows for external sounds to be heard as if you’re not wearing earphones (the 75t set seem to amplify external sound a bit actually).I've taken phone calls with both and been told it's not too bad for the recipient unless the wind is bonkers....
Likes For ikhilioju:
Old 12-02-19, 12:20 PM
Paul Heckmann

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
About to have my third surgery due to bike accident. Left rotator cuff. Then in about 3 months, taking out the metal in my right elbow from the total reconstruction from August of last year.

All due to not paying close enough attention.

Ditch the buds. Pay attention to everything around you.

I was lucky, back on the bike as soon as they would let me. A great helmet with visor saved my nose from being scraped off the pavement. The elbow, not so much. But I deal with it.

There is no phone call, no business deal, nothing that is worth it. And nothing that can restore your body due to not reacting quickly enough or simply not paying attention
Likes For Paul Heckmann:
Old 12-02-19, 12:33 PM
Paul Heckmann

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old 12-02-19, 12:41 PM
Chasboy

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I do but i've seen too many times what seems like a straight line isn't a few seconds later.

Last year I was following a guy about 15' back and as we were going to pass a slower cyclist they suddenly decided to make a U-turn. I was able to go right but he hit them and over his bars.

The problem is, people listening to music are not as aware of their surroundings. Just like people in cars are in their own little world.

Driving a car with headphone or earbuds is illegal, doing the same while cycling should be.
I agree with Glenn completely. Using an earbud is merely distracting the rider from the job at hand, which is maintaining safe control of their bike and being aware of hazards around them. I think all of the selfish objectors to Glenn’s statements are wrong. Period.
Old 12-02-19, 12:50 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Dreww10
Does anyone use a single wireless earbud while riding, and if you do, how is the microphone performance?
I have a set of AirPods – the microphone performance at speed is what you'd expect. I can't imagine that any other brand of wireless ear bud would do any better.

That said, I consider talking on the phone while riding an unwelcome distraction. I do however keep the AirPods in my jersey pocket – in case an important call comes in or for emergencies. But I always stop for calls.

Last edited by Succhia Ruota; 12-02-19 at 12:54 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.