Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring toolkit pics.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring toolkit pics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-19, 08:31 PM
robsta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Touring toolkit pics.

Old 12-02-19, 08:07 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
My kit back in the day wasn't much different from yours. BTW, I'm envious of your adjustable spanner! Mine was a cut-down 10" Sears Craftsman to fit in my Cannondale 'Toot' seatbag... Multi-tools weren't popular 40+ years ago, so I carried a 6mm Allen, two screwdrivers - (one flat, one Phillips - although later two of each but the full-size were of 'stubby' length) my patch kit, a spare tube, spoke wrench, freewheel remover tool, chain breaker, and my full-size frame pump. Oh, and my pocket knife.
Old 12-03-19, 12:00 AM
Steve0000

Bikes: LHT disc, Cannondale CAAD8, Cannondale Super 6, Avanti Agressor MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...size=large&v=2
Old 12-03-19, 07:38 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
I now have a multitool (Parks I-beam model) with a chain break. I only carry the adjustable (6" just works on pedals) when I'm going to assemble/disassemble at the termini. I carry a cassette tool on longer trips. And a small roll of duct tape, of course.

The bike always has one spare tube, patch kit, multitool, and tire boot. On tour I add another spare tube, spare spokes, a couple of 5 mm cap screws, and a shifter cable.
Old 12-03-19, 01:28 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Last month I posted a couple photos at this link from my most recent tour with my S&S coupled bike that has a Rohloff: Instead of re-posting it and re-describing it all over again here, just providing the link instead.
https://www.bikeforums.net/21206170-post23.html

Being a Rohloff and not derailleur bike, tools were slightly different. And being an S&S bike where you have to almost completely disassemble and reassemble the entire bike at the start and end of tour to take on a plane, I bring some shop sized tools to make the assembly/disassembly easier and faster to perform. The slight weight penalty is worth it to reduce frustration.

I do not have a good photo of my derailleur touring bike tool kit, but at the link above I listed the differences in tool kit parts.
Old 12-03-19, 02:14 PM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Every tour I seem to bring a different set of tools. I don't have a photo, but this is what I brought on our summer trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway:
  1. Fix It Sticks tool with only the bits to service our bikes
  2. Fix It Sticks chain breaker (this thing is as good as a shop tool but still compact)
  3. Park No. 0 spoke wrench
  4. Tubeless tire plugs and insert tool (both of our bikes were set up tubeless)
  5. Spare tube
  6. Pump
  7. Rag
  8. Chain lube
  9. Spare Shimano 11s quick link
  10. Pedros tire lever (the best)
The only mechanical we had mid tour was a slashed sidewall, which I fixed with a dollar bill and the spare tube. The Fix It Sticks came in handy for (un)boxing the bikes. I don't think we ended up using any chain lube because both chains were new at the start of the trip.

I continue to be impressed with the Fix It Sticks tool. It works like a dedicated shop tool but is as compact as a lot of multi-tools with inferior functionality. The only downside is the potential to lose the removable bits, but with care it hasn't been a problem yet.
Old 12-04-19, 04:50 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Older picture, more details here. Nowadays there is also a Park Tools CT-5 chain tool in here.