Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1996 Koga-Miyata SilverAce Project

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1996 Koga-Miyata SilverAce Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-19, 04:16 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
(...)
In other news;
I found a shop in Europe that has a nice collection of bicycle goodies in Berlin so I ordered some fenders and new handlebars. When talking to another bike crazy colleague (we talked about the Elian cargo bike models) we ended up on the Honjo website and found out they have lightweight tarpaulin mudflaps in various sizes. There is the small, large and extra large version and should be a good amount lighter than leather mudflaps. @non-fixie take note.
Note taken.

Had a look at the site. Not cheap. But I saw something which looked like nice porteur bars:

However, the item description left me wondering. Am I getting too old for this?

Old 12-04-19, 02:51 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Note taken.

Had a look at the site. Not cheap. But I saw something which looked like nice porteur bars:

Maybe but probably not.

I suspect this is high-quality Japanese Engrish when I read some of their other descriptions. If you ever watch Japanese movies or anime you'll recognize the sometimes incomprehensible concepts they use.
Nice bullhorns though.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 12-04-19, 05:48 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
No, they're just trying to compete with Rivendell

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 12-04-19, 06:28 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I suspect this is high-quality Japanese Engrish when I read some of their other descriptions. If you ever watch Japanese movies or anime you'll recognize the sometimes incomprehensible concepts they use.
This is exactly what I was thinking. As I was browsing the stems on that site, I read one description three times and still couldn't figure out what was being said. There was absolutely nothing that described the stem itself, or entice me to purchase one. I personally cannot justify the unrealistically-high price of their components without some Grant Petersen-esque prose to help me pry open the wallet.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 12-04-19, 06:50 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Originally Posted by NoControl
This is exactly what I was thinking. As I was browsing the stems on that site, I read one description three times and still couldn't figure out what was being said. There was absolutely nothing that described the stem itself, or entice me to purchase one. I personally cannot justify the unrealistically-high price of their components without some Grant Petersen-esque prose to help me pry open the wallet.
True, but they certainly have some great collaborations. Their Simworks x Panaracer 'Homage' tire is a great looking cream/burgundy skinwall tyre and I have seen some beautiful 90's MTB's with the Cyan/green version. And I don't think anybody else makes brass fenders or rear fender stays as elegant as their Dove stay.

They seem to cater to that part of the (Japanese) bicycle market of unique/weird accoutrements that mostly exists because somebody wanted to have something nobody else had.
And that's alright... I might be one of those.

Same for Fairweather Japan with their Fairweather x Panaracer 'for traveler' tire and it's algae-colored thread or the cream Fairweather x Panaracer 'for cruise' tire.

CMYK for those that like it: by CapsulesGang26

Last edited by JaccoW; 12-04-19 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-04-19, 06:55 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

True, but they certainly have some great collaborations. Their Simworks x Panaracer 'Homage' tire is a great looking cream/burgundy skinwall tyre and I have seen some beautiful 90's MTB's with the Cyan/green version. And I don't think anybody else makes brass fenders and I don't think any maker of fenders makes as elegant a rear fender stay as their Dove stay.

They seem to cater to that part of the (Japanese) bicycle market of unique/weird accoutrements that mostly exists because somebody wanted to have something nobody else had.
And that's alright... I might be one of those.

Same for Fairweather Japan with their Fairweather x Panaracer 'for traveler' tire and it's algae-colored thread or the cream Fairweather x Panaracer 'for cruise' tire.
I'm with you. Those tires are definitely sweet, and the fenders! Wow!
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 12-04-19, 07:01 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

I'm with you. Those tires are definitely sweet, and the fenders! Wow!
Check out @DHPflaumer on the forum he has them on his bike with a nice bit of patina.
Old 12-06-19, 05:14 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Short update from a stormy Dutch evening;

Girlfriend was away so I had free reign of the house could sneak in the bike to work on it.

The stainless steel Berthoud fenders were a breeze to mount with most of the holes in the right place by itself though the Honjo fender stay always takes some extra filing and fiddling to mount properly.
The (badly lit) end result is nice though.

A quick step on a personal scale tells me the bike is a mere 16.2kg (35.7lbs) which, considering the size, 1kg front rack, fenders and 2.5+kg (2.5lbs) rear wheel tells me it's pretty damn light!
I will be adding a bit more weight though when I build a 90mm drum brake dynamo front wheel but all in all it should still be lighter than it was originally.

A fun surpise were the Honjo mudflaps.
Though not as big as I expected they should still offer plenty of protection and are, above all, really light.
A single flap is 9 grams (0.317 ounces) and both of them are a mere 37 grams (1.305 ounces) with the included hardware.

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 12-11-19, 08:36 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

And some outside beauty shots.

Getting some decent 'Porteur' vibes here.

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 12-11-19, 07:07 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Oooh. That looks clean. It's almost eerie not to see any brake calipers or housing running anywhere on top.

Oh, and nice fenderlines too. What fenders?

-Kurt

Old 12-12-19, 01:50 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

cudak888 Thanks, they're Gilles Berthoud stainless steel fenders in the 700C 50mm wide long version. (Link)
Added some Honjo mudflaps and their rear fender stay for extra coverage and sturdiness.

The brake and shifter cable run along the bottom of the down tube using stainless steel bolts and clips. They will become more visible when I swap them out for a more contrasting color.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 01-06-20, 07:24 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

I was bored and I had all these images saved from the short history I did in post #4 so I decided to make an animated gif out of it.

It's fun to see how there is sometimes no more changes than a different paintjob between years and then suddenly there is a lot of experimenting going on once they switch to aluminum, the first year they offered dynamo hubs and when front shocks became common on Dutch commuter bikes.

Anyway, enjoy!

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 01-13-20, 01:38 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 66 Posts
Nice.
Likes For Millstone:
Old 01-13-20, 05:24 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

The Netherlands, with the highest amount of bikes per capita has simply got to be bike nirvana.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 01-14-20, 04:58 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

The Netherlands, with the highest amount of bikes per capita has simply got to be bike nirvana.
Plenty of nice bikes around and I could certainly entertain a lot of C&V folks by walking around with a camera in the bike parking at the local train station. Most bikes however are run down singlespeeds and switch hands every few years after which they get a minimal overhaul to be serviceable again. Or three-speeds with half the cables missing.
It's why you can still find the occasional 70+ year old bike running around. They are simple, easy to work on machines.

But if you like practical bicycles that stand the test of time and exposure to the elements, the Netherlands is where it is at. And plenty of nicer bikes like Koga, Van Nicholas, Elian cycles and for the more common daily riders there is Veloretti and Van Moof.

Last edited by JaccoW; 01-14-20 at 05:06 AM.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 01-14-20, 06:14 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 66 Posts
Yes,...

google "van hulsteijn racefiets" and see what you can do with a bit of imagination and some steel tubes.

I'd love to ride/own one, unfortunately the designer of these moved (IIRC) from Arnhem to... somewhere? A few years ago. So I dont know if they still are sold.

Edit: He went to Amsterdam. No idea if he (or his "firm"?) still makes those bikes. Because you know, artists...

Nevertheless, nice stuff.

Last edited by Millstone; 01-14-20 at 06:34 AM.
Likes For Millstone:
Old 01-14-20, 12:37 PM
socalbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Incredible bike that id never heard of before this, looks like a really sweet cruiser.
Likes For socalbike:
Old 01-16-20, 06:51 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

I tried to get some more information about the tubing in this frame from Koga but they didn't have anything anymore. Seems like some of that information was never explicitly saved when they stopped working together back in 2010.

Miyata on the other hand could tell me a bit more.
I contacted them on Facebook and they told me the following: (summarized)
We're sorry but we don't have any drawings of this particular model anymore. Miyata stopped production of CR-MO frames in Japan and most of their staff from that time have retired already.
When cross-referenced with some other material this particular SilverAce probably has Splined Triple Butted tubing.

In general the Koga-Miyata Hardtlite tubing is organized like this:
  • Hardtlite FM-1: Splined Triple Butted CR-MO frame
  • Hardtlite FM-2: Double Butted CR-MO frame
  • Hardtlite FM-3: Single Butted CR-MO frame

If I had to warrant a guess it might just be the main triangle that is made from FM-1 tubing (as is most often the case on non-performance bikes) but unless I can find a large x-ray machine we'll never know.

Still, more information about the history of this bike is nice and I thank Miyata for their efforts.

Last edited by JaccoW; 01-26-20 at 05:03 PM.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 01-16-20, 06:57 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

I tried to get some more information about the tubing in this frame from Koga but they didn't have anything anymore. Seems like some of that information was never explicitly saved when they stopped working together back in 2010.

Miyata on the other hand could tell me a bit more.
I contacted them on Facebook and they told me the following: (summarized)

If I had to warrant a guess it might just be the main triangle that is made from FM-1 tubing (as is most often the case on non-performance bikes) but unless I can find a large x-ray machine we'll never know.

Still, more information about the history of this bike is nice and I thank Miyata for their efforts.
That's some fantastic stuff there. Never seen butting combined withrifling, though I've never really looked into Miyata's stuff that much. Ought to make a heck of a stiff tube.

Any chance any local universities might have that X-ray machine? Not even sure that type of butting and rifling is possible on seatstays, but it would be interesting just to get a peek at the main triangle.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 01-16-20, 07:34 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by cudak888
That's some fantastic stuff there. Never seen butting combined withrifling, though I've never really looked into Miyata's stuff that much. Ought to make a heck of a stiff tube.

Any chance any local universities might have that X-ray machine? Not even sure that type of butting and rifling is possible on seatstays, but it would be interesting just to get a peek at the main triangle.
-Kurt
Well, I live in a city with a large port and the customs officials have a large X-ray machine that they put trucks through. But perhaps something smaller would make more sense.
Might be worth looking into.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 01-19-20, 09:02 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Reading about lug lining using paint pens a while ago I thought this bike could do with some fine detailing as well while I save up some more money and wait for parts to come in.
Went to the hobby store and got a gold Sharpie pen and got to work.

Before:

After:

Not bad if I say so myself.

I also managed to score a classic unused Carradice Junior saddlebag (9 Liter model) that I think would look great on this bike and offer some room to store the eventual chain lock I will be using with this bike.

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 01-19-20, 09:41 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Beautiful. I've seen so many attempts at homebrew lug lining look like a dog's dinner, but this has that delicate, thin perfection that looks like factory - if not better.

What witchcraft did you use to pull off this feat, Jacco?

-Kurt

Old 01-19-20, 11:25 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by cudak888
Beautiful. I've seen so many attempts at homebrew lug lining look like a dog's dinner, but this has that delicate, thin perfection that looks like factory - if not better.

What witchcraft did you use to pull off this feat, Jacco?
Thanks.

Edding 780 0.8mm gloss paint marker and some cotton swabs with alcohol for any spillover. But most of these were just straight from the pen.
As is common with these things they tend to clog up after a single bike but I'll try to clean it up and touch up some small parts later.

And now let's see if this holds up a bit.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 02-06-20, 09:04 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Managed to score a second-hand Lepper Tourer saddle in black. Always nice to score a good deal on project parts.

Another nice bit is a Koga-branded AXA frame lock with fairly matching black and blue plastic covers. Pictures of that one later.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 02-06-20, 10:17 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

That will be very nice and complementary to the upgrades - the rest of the build is so nice that it surpassed that brown Mattress Royale long ago

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.