Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Old 12-09-19, 12:39 PM
The 2nd G

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Not on LiveTrack. That just sends an e-mail to whomever you pick, it's configured in the Garmin Mobile App, that shows them where you are. Means your wife can access the link to see the current location of your Garmin.

The Incident Detection function, also configures in the GCM app., sends a text message (AFAIK) to a recipient, that you've come to a sudden stop and are laying there in serious pain, in the cold. They can then (dependent on how cold it is out) choose to respond, call you, not respond hoping they can cash in on your life insurance policy, etc..... This is how my wife looked at this feature "so I can like, wait 2 hours or more ?". Incident detection is also something you have some control over, as in it can be set up to wait a bit so you can press the false alarm button on the device upon coming to a sudden and unexpected stop.

I've never configured Incident Detection. I use LiveTrack on every ride. Note it's been a source of angst among Garmin users for a while as it can be hit/miss if LT is working. Seems dependent on a good BT connection to the phone and it requires that the GCM app on the phone is running (something I would forget to turn on).
I am not a fan of Garmin's Incident Detection function when it comes to bike riding, even though I've been using it for my runs. There are way too many false alarms on the bike. Sometimes, quick turns or stops trigger it. It is true that you can cancel it as a false alarm, but that's a pain since you have to look at the watch and take the other hand off the handlebars. I can see THAT leading to an actual incident, for me, at least.
Old 12-12-19, 11:56 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
What better place to greet the dawn but the frosted woods?

Lots of maybes, but no mistaking these.

Buck staking out his claim, at the expense of that tree
Old 12-12-19, 12:02 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

I went north of Bethpage up the GreenBelt, and attempted to get into Stilwell. There is a utility pole down where the trail crosses the tracks at Whitney Lane, bringing down lots of associated wires and cables. That can be carefully negotiated but right after that the bamboo forest is impassable, as the bamboo has been laid low by the weight of snow and ice, and the stalks have been effectively welded together by the ice into an impenetrable mass. I turned around at that point. On the way back I used the Blue Dot to mix it up.

a mess

Nope.
Old 12-12-19, 12:08 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Is BP rideable ?, may go there tomorrow

Thx

SB
Old 12-12-19, 03:59 PM
kaos joe

Is BP rideable ?, may go there tomorrow

Thx

SB
Trails were all in fantastic shape this morning, frozen solid. Just a few puddles a bit south of Jericho Tpke. Might be muddy if things thaw.​​​​​​​
Old 12-12-19, 06:04 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by kaos joe
Trails were all in fantastic shape this morning, frozen solid. Just a few puddles a bit south of Jericho Tpke. Might be muddy if things thaw.
Yeah, HELLO , I forgot it was frozen, so of course good conditions.

I'll do a gravel-bike-on-the-road ride as I need to check the stem length and position. Supposed to be 40 at 9, maybe it won't rain.
Old 12-16-19, 08:12 AM
Steve B.

I did an easy and short mt. bike ride at BP Sunday afternoon. I saw the temp was 50. So I dressed for 50, didn't wear booties, single polypro layer, etc.... forgetting it's blowing 35 mph out. And the temps at Bethpage are at their typical 5 degrees or more lower than anywhere else so at 40 I got cold. And I hate cold feet !.

I also rode my 15 year old Specialized FS bike, which I haven't ridden it in 10 mos. HUGE difference. Really short h-bar at 600 when I'm now used to 700mm. Bike felt heavy (well, it is at 31-32 lbs or so, vs. 26 for my new HT), sluggish, wouldn't accelerate, etc..... It was a good comparison to a new generation 29'er, that has better and tubeless tires, climbs better has wheels that effortlessly roll over roots and stuff, fits better, etc.....Now I'm wondering why I'm keeping the FS cause it wasn't that fun to ride.

And as final note, there's a ton of construction on the west side of the park near the water tank on Plainview Rd. The Blue/Hoffa trail is closed, as is are the extreme west ends of the orange and pink trails. I/we now need to find some alternatives.
Old 12-20-19, 05:43 PM
kaos joe

Quick 8 mile ride today, as Mrs. Kaos took a day off . Trails frozen up solidly on this lovely morning, but thick frost in some places which slows you down considerably. Then we went and hiked around for a couple of hours in Target Rock where she filled my pockets with shells again.

Old 12-20-19, 05:50 PM
kaos joe

In nature, nothing goes to waste. From this mornings ride.

Feb. 2019

December 2019

Last edited by kaos joe; 12-21-19 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-21-19, 03:20 PM
kaos joe

18 trail miles on another gorgeous morning. Steve, you shoulda come with us, you could have assisted in the heckling of me during the repair of my wardrobe malfunction.

First time I've needed an inner tube since going tubeless. Sole tore completely off w/o warning. repair worked perfectly.
Old 12-21-19, 08:02 PM
Steve B.

18 trail miles on another gorgeous morning. Steve, you shoulda come with us, you could have assisted in the heckling of me during the repair of my wardrobe malfunction.
First time I've needed an inner tube since going tubeless. Sole tore completely off w/o warning. repair worked perfectly.
We were out for an easier time than that distance, I assume you all went north. We ended up at 8 when a buddies F tire started going flat, CO2 got us back, nobody felt like changing a tube out at 22 degrees when coffee beckoned !. Good line as from Roger (one of 2 , other being Mark) “you should try the improved CO2, it’s called CO3”.

As to the usefulness of inner tubes, my buddy Kevin had his rear hub fail while coming back up the hill in Mannetto Hills one morning. He used gravity to get him down to Washington Ave., I then wrapped an inner tube around his h-bar and towed him back to BP on the paved path.
Old 12-22-19, 06:54 AM
kaos joe

....... Good line as from Roger (one of 2 , other being Mark) “you should try the improved CO2, it’s called CO3”.......
I've not seen that CO3 at Brands yet.

Our resident wit is Jeff, he took one look at my shoe and said "Let's see if we can cobble something together".

Different footwear today.
Old 12-22-19, 04:17 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Got out late morning and managed 35 miles on the road.

Was rather surprised to see a car on the MUP bridge over the Southern State. I stopped the guy and he thought it was the ramp to the Bethpage Parkway. After explaining where he was I was able to back him to where he could turn around and lead him back to Linden. Thankfully he was just old and confused and not under the influence of something. Or maybe he should consider giving up his drivers license.

Just glad he didn't run anyone over.
Old 12-22-19, 04:38 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by GlennR
Got out late morning and managed 35 miles on the road.

Was rather surprised to see a car on the MUP bridge over the Southern State. I stopped the guy and he thought it was the ramp to the Bethpage Parkway. After explaining where he was I was able to back him to where he could turn around and lead him back to Linden. Thankfully he was just old and confused and not under the influence of something. Or maybe he should consider giving up his drivers license.

Just glad he didn't run anyone over.
Good thing you got him stopped. This time of year few cyclists out, he might have driven all the way north to the first bridge over a stream just south of Boundary. He had to have been very confused.

I had a similar thing two years ago on the Flatbush Ave. MUT at Floyd Bennet, 2 cars headed south on the bike path. I tried flagging them down, they kept right on rolling.
Old 12-25-19, 02:15 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

42 miles... awesome weather for Christmas day.
Old 12-25-19, 02:22 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by GlennR
42 miles... awesome weather for Christmas day.
Good weather indeed, I got about half that but very little traffic and that was nice.
Old 12-25-19, 08:21 PM
kaos joe

Hats off to Glenn & Steve. Family obligations so no ride but walked about 5 miles with the mrs. I was wearing just a T shirt most of the time. (and pants, let's be clear)
Old 12-26-19, 05:20 PM
Steve B.

Played hooky from work today, went out about 10:30, got another easy 20 road ride. I'm getting used to the 38-40 degree weather and can tolerate the cold this winter for some reason. I was out about a week ago on the road at 30, an hour was enough.

Liking my gravel Topstone as well, have road tires and separate wheels on it, 32mm tires at 70/80 psi makes for a nice ride. Swapped stems today for a slightly lower h-bar, closer to how my road bike is set up, liked it and will keep it setup this way.
Old 01-01-20, 12:23 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Rode to the "pencil" and back..21 miles. It was cold and I should of gone back for some face protection.
Old 01-01-20, 12:47 PM
Steve B.

Nice easy mt. bike at Bethpage this AM, too windy for the road, I saw 60 or more First Day hikers out. It was chilly but good conditions.

Likes For Steve B.:
Old 01-01-20, 08:31 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Decided today was the day to tear the road bike apart and clean it.

Started with putting the chain and cassette in the untrasonic cleaner... both look like new. Sram eTap makes removing the RD easy so it's able to be cleaned and lubed. The crankset was taken apart, the chainrings cleaned and all the old grease and lube removed. I found out the Park degreaser freezes. I cleaned the bottom bracket and will apply new grease to the Cermacspeed bearings. I also dropped the fork and grease the headset bearings.Brakes were removed and cleaned. Being able to flip them around leaves no hidden spots.

Still have to clean and grease the hubs.

Then i'll put it together and back in the garage till April.

Old 01-01-20, 10:25 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 719 Posts
Hit BP around 1 with the whole family, youngest on the trail-a-bike got too cold from a lack of peddling so we only lasted 35 minutes. Wife just picked up a C-dale Habit 3 on Mon and the 2 older kids got new 24" C-dales for Christmas so everyone was happy to try out their new gear.
Funny thing is there was a time when I first got into riding where I always believed only bike snobs rode cannondales. Even when selling them once I worked in the shops I never had an interest in them. Now they seem to be putting out some of the best spec for the money. Couldn't find any other brand that offered disc, cassette hubs, and short (130mm) cranks in the 400.00 range for kids; one was actually 300 on clearance from Cannondale and that was the best price.
Old 01-02-20, 06:45 AM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Funny thing is there was a time when I first got into riding where I always believed only bike snobs rode cannondales. .
I've had lots of friends on Cannondales, they are all/were good bikes. I purchased my first C-Dale in November, a gravel Topstone. Been riding it every chance, fits great, great frame and spec's for the money. I researched a total of about 20 bikes before going back to the Topstone, which was my first choice initially as a buddy got one last year.
Old 01-02-20, 07:43 AM
kaos joe

..... I saw 60 or more First Day hikers out. It was chilly but good conditions....
Didn't ride, but Mrs & I went up to Caumsett and walked about 6 miles. The place was hopping! More people out than a usual summer crowd. I didn't realize the First Day thing was that much of a thing.

She missed her chance to give me a good shove
Likes For kaos joe:
Old 01-02-20, 08:29 AM
Steve B.

Didn't ride, but Mrs & I went up to Caumsett and walked about 6 miles. The place was hopping! More people out than a usual summer crowd. I didn't realize the First Day thing was that much of a thing.

e
The BP lot was packed as if there was a cross-country meet occurring. Then it was mostly empty an hour later when the First Day hikers had left. Not sure I'd want to hike with 100 others !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.