Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Dose of Reality II: Examples of Bikes Not Moving at LOW PRICES!

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Dose of Reality II: Examples of Bikes Not Moving at LOW PRICES!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-19, 09:40 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
in the last three years there is an expansion of the job base but many of those jobs do not provide income for much discretionary spending.

All I know is I did a lot better selling during the "Great Recession".
Old 12-27-19, 11:47 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
I went and bought this. Owner didn't want to haggle so I gave $110 for it. Appears to have most if not all of the original equipment and minimal wear. Tires are dry-rotted but otherwise all it needs is new grease and then to be put on the road. I'm going to clean it up this weekend and send off with my brother as an alternative to running for his ultra distance training. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-28-19, 05:41 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
The thing that bothers me the most about the drought in sales is that I can't buy another fixer upper till I sell one I've fixed up. Generally speaking I can only keep about a dozen bikes at my home at a time. Any more than that & I'm asking for a whole lotta trouble from the boss!!!
Old 12-28-19, 08:55 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
The thing that bothers me the most about the drought in sales is that I can't buy another fixer upper till I sell one I've fixed up. Generally speaking I can only keep about a dozen bikes at my home at a time. Any more than that & I'm asking for a whole lotta trouble from the boss!!!
I’m there with ya . I am at that bakers dozen and I have shed with a couple more that need massaging to put back on the road that the boss doesn’t know about. The good news is I just sold a couple of CNC machines at my shop so when those leave..........MORE Bikes?
Old 12-28-19, 08:59 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I went and bought this. Owner didn't want to haggle so I gave $110 for it. Appears to have most if not all of the original equipment and minimal wear. Tires are dry-rotted but otherwise all it needs is new grease and then to be put on the road. I'm going to clean it up this weekend and send off with my brother as an alternative to running for his ultra distance training. Thanks for the tip.
Good move, that was an excellent value.
Old 12-28-19, 10:08 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Good move, that was an excellent value.
+1 The nicer Diamondback road and MTBs from the 80's are nice top end Japanese built bikes that tend to be undervalued even in this soft market. The brand has been completely destroyed by the tone of department store junk sold with the Diamondback label in later years.

Last edited by zukahn1; 12-28-19 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-28-19, 10:12 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

in the last three years there is an expansion of the job base but many of those jobs do not provide income for much discretionary spending.
May be a perception problem.

According to the Fed Reserve Bank of Atlanta, wages for the BOTTOM 25% were up 4.5% in the last year, while the increase for the TOP 25% averaged 2.9%. The shortage of blue collar workers has changed everything. Talk to any small business owner about finding help. Around here, they all complain about it. IMHO, its more about wages. Business owners used to paying low wages need to recalibrate and pay MORE to attract workers in this low employment era. The days of getting 100 applicants (or more) for 1 job opening are over. In some areas, employers have stopped drug testing because the remaining available pool cannot pass.

I managed a business where there were little to no blue collar workforce availability. Yet we never had a problem finding employees. I used to get asked about this from other business managers. Our secret? We paid MORE, so our workers came from their businesses. It didn't make us very popular of course, but that's how it goes.
Old 12-29-19, 03:24 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
May be a perception problem.

According to the Fed Reserve Bank of Atlanta, wages for the BOTTOM 25% were up 4.5% in the last year, while the increase for the TOP 25% averaged 2.9%. The shortage of blue collar workers has changed everything. Talk to any small business owner about finding help. Around here, they all complain about it. IMHO, its more about wages. Business owners used to paying low wages need to recalibrate and pay MORE to attract workers in this low employment era. The days of getting 100 applicants (or more) for 1 job opening are over. In some areas, employers have stopped drug testing because the remaining available pool cannot pass.

I managed a business where there were little to no blue collar workforce availability. Yet we never had a problem finding employees. I used to get asked about this from other business managers. Our secret? We paid MORE, so our workers came from their businesses. It didn't make us very popular of course, but that's how it goes.
Some of that depending on the state or locale is due to the increase in minimum wage. Not a bad thing, but it distorts the percentages. Near me, the minimum wage is going to $13.25 from 12.00 - percentage wise that is significant, just over 10%. in real buying power? It actually might hurt- if one works too many hours, bye bye "snap" (AKA foodstamps) If one looks at the Mode of new hires, not the average, low wage earners are losing ground. Middle class workers without a college degree are losing ground. There are opportunities on the horizon, if one is younger, fit and can find the training. This has not been a priority for industry or government to match training to need. There is complaining by the Wireless industry currently about finding capable workers to implement 5G transmitters/receivers. Is the industry setting up training? They are complaining that they are not being served by education. (then, once built out, how many will keep a job servicing?) There are many structural problems. To circle back to classic bicycles, they are a good, but not a necessity for most.
one last note- wages may be up, but are annual net earnings up? I always want to know the details behind the headlines.

Last edited by repechage; 12-29-19 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-29-19, 07:25 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

No increase in minimum wage here. The "good" service jobs are paying way over minimum wage, not due to some edict, but due to needing employees. Actually, middle class earnings without a college degree are finally starting to grow, and those with a degree, depending on major are starting to slip. Certainly college graduates continue to earn more as a group. Do you have data for your comments? I too would like to see data.

The mismatch of training to skills in demand continues unabated. I saw too many trying college at the community college level that just couldn't hack it.There time would have been much better off learning a trade, than taking remedial classes over again and again and again. In my experience in industry, we gave up on institutions providing the needed skills and training, we provided it.

If anything, I think more people have more money are are buying NEW bikes. The advent of "gravel grinders" is attracting people to the latest and greatest. All of a sudden, vintage &. classic becomes old and outdated.

Look at this chart from the bureau of labor statistics, one of the smallest increase in the last year was in the management and professional category. The highest was in the service category. #2 was the production, transportation, and material handling category.

RV sales are a good example. At the depth of the Great Recession, RV sales plummeted and many RV makers went bankrupt. Recently RV sales are at all time highs. An RV or a boat are two purchases that can be put off or avoided. Its a good guide IMHO of economy health as people feel comfortable spending so much money on a discretionary item.

https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2019/co...-june-2019.htm

Last edited by wrk101; 12-29-19 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-29-19, 08:38 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by tmh657
So as the saying goes, "I lose money on every sale but make up for it in volume". You are adhering to one of the business principles that are often used.
I am not speaking for her but I don't think she ever attempted to make a profit necessarily. She just sold bikes to make room for more.
Old 12-29-19, 10:15 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
^^^Front wheel quick release is on the incorrect side.^^^
Not if you're left handed.

Cheers
Old 12-30-19, 12:17 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man

Cheers
I’m left-handed, and Yes, it’s on the wrong side.
Tim
Old 12-30-19, 04:04 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I’m there with ya . I am at that bakers dozen and I have shed with a couple more that need massaging to put back on the road that the boss doesn’t know about. The good news is I just sold a couple of CNC machines at my shop so when those leave..........MORE Bikes?
I'm too heavy on 80's era Japanese racing bikes right now. If I can ever get rid of a couple of them the next thing I'll get will be a couple of nice vintage step-through frame Raleigh, Peugeot, Fuji, or Schwinn. Take the drop bars off & equip them with upright bars & shifters. I've got a customer base for more comfortable bikes around here. (Just gotta sell some of these darn race bikes first)!
Old 12-30-19, 05:32 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man

Cheers

Originally Posted by tkamd73
Tim
So am I. And, it is still the incorrect side.
Old 12-30-19, 02:57 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
Tim
What's amazing, Tim, is I've tried it on the other side, and, magically, there is no difference in bike function.

Crazy, I know.

You'd think if something is so passionately held as being "incorrect," there would be some kind of difference.
Old 12-30-19, 09:14 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,463 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
What's amazing, Tim, is I've tried it on the other side, and, magically, there is no difference in bike function.

Crazy, I know.

You'd think if something is so passionately held as being "incorrect," there would be some kind of difference.
You're lucky no one noticed that the labels on your hubs don't line up with the valve holes in your rims!

They might cut you some slack though for posing the bike for the photo with both valve stems up and the drive side pedal in the 3 o'clock position.
Brent
Old 12-30-19, 09:32 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
You're lucky no one noticed that the labels on your hubs don't line up with the valve holes in your rims!
What actually bothers me with these and another set of my Araya wheels is the rim labels are facing the nds in relation to the hub label/engraving.
Old 01-02-20, 08:42 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
^^^Front wheel quick release is on the incorrect side.^^^
Agree. Levers should be on non-drive side. It may be in the rules somewhere...
Old 01-02-20, 08:43 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
What actually bothers me with these and another set of my Araya wheels is the rim labels are facing the nds in relation to the hub label/engraving.
You could unlace the wheels and flip the rims.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 01-02-20, 06:19 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
Yes and it is a model it is why Searsn's Momtgomery Words, Schwinn Dealers are gone,
There is a shop that still has a Schwinn two color neon sign in the window- looks a bit like a Paramount headbadge. Not sure if they sell any Schwinn's anymore.
They are constantly running a SALE- big banners, they do change them out to their credit.
Old 01-02-20, 09:30 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
There is a shop that still has a Schwinn two color neon sign in the window- looks a bit like a Paramount headbadge. Not sure if they sell any Schwinn's anymore.
They are constantly running a SALE- big banners, they do change them out to their credit.
Part of of the Schwinn deal when they went bankrpupt and sold out to was that the few solvent. Dealers could the keep the label and use it as lo as they they maintained a real shop. many chose to use the well respected label. Last I checked most US cities have several dealerships.