Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

High performance townie build with 5 speed Sturmey Archer.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

High performance townie build with 5 speed Sturmey Archer.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-20, 08:39 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
bulgie, any chance you'd rent that indenter out? Or make more for a fee?
Mine isn't quite as nice as Bulgie's, but I'd gladly lend it out to anyone that wants to pay the postage.
Old 01-12-20, 08:45 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
Mine isn't quite as nice as Bulgie's, but I'd gladly lend it out to anyone that wants to pay the postage.
I might take you up on that. My 1974 Raleigh International can only take a 32mm tire in the back.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-13-20, 11:22 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Looks like a fantastic townie you have there!

I have a PDF of the owner's manual for the Sturmey S5, I just checked it out, it states you can use up to a 22 tooth cog, but it doesn't mention the front chain ring size, Depending on the year I think they were all 46 or 48 tooth, so this bike will be geared a bit lower than that, I was planning on 44/24, but maybe I'll deliver the bike with 44/22 and see how that works for him, but I'll have a 24 tooth sprocket if he really wants it geared lower.
Having never gone thru an S5 manual, I threw a 23t sprocket (Shimano) on my Sprite (my standard setup on an IGH) from day one and it's been working fine for me. Probably should go to a 22t, as the bike's gear just a little bit lower than I'd like it, but for the moment it's working just fine. Given that one of my regular commutes to a local shopping mall involves a rather severe climb coming back home, I'm not in too much of a hurry to change it over.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Likes For sykerocker:
Old 01-13-20, 04:48 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I guess I better look again and take pictures.

bulgie, any chance you'd rent that indenter out? Or make more for a fee?
oops sorry I didn't see this post at first.

I don't lend it out because it isn't very good! I made a bad decision in making it, used a cheap Chinese C-clamp, and that turns out to be false economy. I've only used it a couple times and already the threads in the clamp feel grindy, like it won't do very many more frames before the threads seize up completely.

Making stuff is difficult for me due to not having much of a shop space. I brazed the curved shaper piece to the C-clamp but I can't braze indoors, so I have to do it out in my driveway, which is gravel and sloped (not level) = PITA. If I paid myself a decent wage to make them they'd probably be $200. Many others here could make them much more cheaply.

If I make myself a new one, it will probably be based on a Vise-Grip pliers rather than a C-clamp. This is the one Curtis Odom made:
Clever, and pretty quick to make for someone with a bandsaw and a MIG or stick welder.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 01-17-20, 11:15 AM
jackbombay

I got the rear wheel built last night, I used a 32 hole rim, and laced it to the 40 hols S5 hub, there is a thread here with some key info on doing thi, but its also missing a lot of info, I'll make a seperate thread later this evening detailing how I went about it, but it does work, no spokes are too short or too long...

Every 5th hole on both sides of the hub are obviously empty.

Likes For jackbombay:
Old 01-17-20, 07:34 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
With the exception of MIG welding braze-ons to frame (yea I know its gross) this was my first time sticking braze-ons to a bike, it all went pretty well. I've sweated a lot of copper pipe, and this is similar, BUT steel does not conduct heat nearly as well as copper which I wasn't quite expecting, next time I'll make sure I have "good" access to all side of the braze-on with the torch before I start getting things hot.
I love this particular braze-on - couldn't have picked a better one to experiment with. The little standoffs help a lot with getting good penetration.

It sometimes helps to heat the frame and put a tiny dab of silver under the braze-on before putting the braze-on on the frame. It gets things started and it gives you something else to read heat with besides the flux.

-Kurt

Old 01-17-20, 07:56 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by cudak888
I love this particular braze-on - couldn't have picked a better one to experiment with. The little standoffs help a lot with getting good penetration.
The standoffs also make the piece sit nice and parallel with the top tube! The little void under the braze on just pulls the silver right in, me likey!

It sometimes helps to heat the frame and put a tiny dab of silver under the braze-on before putting the braze-on on the frame. It gets things started and it gives you something else to read heat with besides the flux.
I am using an oxy mapp torch so I don't need dark glasses/goggle like oxy acetylene so I can spot the faint red glow pretty easily which is when the silver I have melts, but I do like the idea of putting a bit of silver under the braze on, it will certainly help the silver flow all the way through.

I'm stoked I decided to get the oxy mapp torch and mess around with this, with this newfound skill I have all sorts of little projects for various bikes in my stable!
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 01-17-20, 10:48 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
I am liking this project. As for the color, I think is is sort of like a movie. If the movie starts with a good relationship between characters, we tend to want those characters to stay together through the movie. This bike starts with a nice British racing green. I like it. It has a few thinks going for it: it starts out with this color, so it is an original color, it looks good, fits the year and style of the bike and it also lets the chrome socks be seen. Silver, may hide the chrome a little.

Anyway, keep the pic's coming. I like the braze ons. I also liked that you did not use the pulley. I am eager to know how that works out. I am so used to seeing three speeds and Sturmey Archers with pulleys. What I particularly like about your braze on style for the shift cables is that it keeps the cable close to the frame tubes. I may at some point copy this idea right down to mapp - oxy torch.
Old 01-17-20, 11:16 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I am liking this project. As for the color, I think is is sort of like a movie. If the movie starts with a good relationship between characters, we tend to want those characters to stay together through the movie. This bike starts with a nice British racing green. I like it. It has a few thinks going for it: it starts out with this color, so it is an original color, it looks good, fits the year and style of the bike and it also lets the chrome socks be seen. Silver, may hide the chrome a little.
I'm conflicted on color. I'm waiting for some brass and brass flux so I can stick on some canti posts, so I still have a week or so to make the decision before I drop the frame at the powder coater.

I agree that silver will hide the chrome socks somewhat, but I think a subtle transition form the chrome to the silver could well give it a "soft friendly" look? I have an aluminum headset for it that I polished up and it came out SHINY!!! so that will compliment the chrome socks. Another consideration is also keeping the bike a tad subdued to attract less attention from thieves. It gets stored inside at night, but is locked up at many different places around Portland oregon through the work day. If the powder coater has metallic green I'll be pretty tempted...

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I also liked that you did not use the pulley. I am eager to know how that works out.
I also did this to a bike 15 years ago, a cable stop on the top tube an one on the seat stay for a sturmey shift cable, and it works just fine, and the cable never comes off the pulley. I'm not a fan of clamp on anything so I really like this look due to the cleanliness :-)
Old 03-11-20, 05:07 PM
jackbombay

I finally got some brass and flux to stick on the canti studs, my first time working with brass, I did a test piece, a canti stud to a scrap chainstay, and I hit it very hard with a 4 pound sledge repeatedly, the stud broke off the boss, but my braze job held the boss to the chain stay with no hint of failure, so, onto the real deal! It went well, brass is cool stuff to work with, my fillet is not totally uniform in size around the stud, but its close enough and I have zero doubts about the strength of the connection.

Pics,

I take it to get powder coated tomorrow morning :-)
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 03-11-20, 06:17 PM
IsleRide

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
jackbombay, you've got my attention on this build! Have a '73 Super Course frame waiting in the wings for a "Path Racer" type build.
Not with you on the crimping though, (I'll fit what fits) but everything looks well thought out. Looking forward to more updates.
Likes For IsleRide:
Old 03-11-20, 06:41 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by IsleRide
Not with you on the crimping though, (I'll fit what fits)
You should be able to fit a 32c tire in that frame.

Originally Posted by IsleRide
everything looks well thought out. Looking forward to more updates.
Thanks!

I'm really looking forward getting this bike assembled!
Old 03-18-20, 04:59 PM
jackbombay

Assembly happening today!!

But I may come up short a few parts, I was hoping to do it all with white cable housing, but I don't think I'll have enough...

A couple pics,

Using copper wire to rivet the headbadge back on,

First canti studs I've brazed on,

Likes For jackbombay:
Old 03-18-20, 08:12 PM
jackbombay

This bike is ready to ride!!!!

Some pics,

The rear canti studs did end up a bit more closer together than would have been ideal, but I was able to get a decent adjustment on the brake pads so all is good there.

The 5 speed is of course still the best drivetrain someone could ever install on a bicycle. I have not ridden it yet.

I did run out of white Brake cable housing :-(
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 03-18-20, 10:03 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Awesome rig! That's powder coating? They can do some impressive colors nowadays... Is there any sort of clear coat or is it just that shiny?

-Gregory
Old 03-18-20, 10:14 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
Awesome rig! That's powder coating? They can do some impressive colors nowadays... Is there any sort of clear coat or is it just that shiny?

-Gregory
That is the powder coat straight from the oven!

There are a couple small spots of brown that seeped out of the lugs, not that big a deal, and they are on the non drive side, but, I'm not too sure what caused them. Being an old Raleigh its obvious that the brazing was less that perfect, so there are parts of the lugs that don't have brass all the way around them, and there is likely some rust in there, and I thin that is what leaked out and made the small brown spots? Or maybe it was grease, but why would there be grease up in the lugs?

I do like powder for its toughness, and as this is a daily driver/townie I wanted that toughness, over a better finish from catalysed paint, but I'm quite happy with this finish. Hypothetically if I wanted to avoid the brown spots I would have silver soldered the lugs all the way around anywhere they weren't obviously sealed to the tubes, but, m'eh, you can tinker away forever on old bikes, at some point they need to get assembled and ridden :-)
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 03-19-20, 03:19 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Wow. That's the thinnest, paint-like powdercoat I've ever seen. It almost looks like you dug up an NOS Competition G.S. with Nervex lugs and shinier paint.

Bravo to whoever executed that job.

-Kurt

Old 03-19-20, 03:26 PM
jackbombay

Wow. That's the thinnest, paint-like powdercoat I've ever seen. It almost looks like you dug up an NOS Competition G.S. with Nervex lugs and shinier paint.

Bravo to whoever executed that job.

-Kurt
I don't have much experience with powder coat, I've only had one other frame powder coated before and that was in 1999, that was THICK powder coat.

I just trusted this guy to do his job well and this is what came back, the finish really is pretty much on par with automotive paint, and I love the look of the lugs!
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 03-19-20, 03:37 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

I don't have much experience with powder coat, I've only had one other frame powder coated before and that was in 1999, that was THICK powder coat.

I just trusted this guy to do his job well and this is what came back, the finish really is pretty much on par with automotive paint, and I love the look of the lugs!
He obviously knows his craft and how to do a lugged bike justice. The gloss and the overall sharpness reminds me of the '81-83 Schwinn Superiors - it really looks like a period paint job!

-Kurt

Old 03-19-20, 03:47 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Looks great! I have an mk ii SC and a S5 hub set up sitting around, this build is giving me ideas! Let us know riding impressions!
Old 03-19-20, 04:01 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by Senrab62
Looks great! I have an mk ii SC and a S5 hub set up sitting around, this build is giving me ideas! Let us know riding impressions!
I want to keep it as unridden as possible as I built it for a friend, but I did take it to town (I live on a dirt road that is currently mud) and ripped some hot laps around the high school parking lot to make sure its all ready to go and the bike is absolutely beautiful! The 35c tires soak up a bunch of little road chatter but are still plenty fast, I have them at 40 PSI in the front and 50 PSI in the back, would probably be great at 35/45 even.

1st gear was acting a bit funny though, it was slipping a bit, I had to get the shift cable for the non drive side of the hub pretty tight to make that go away, I have another bike with an S5 and I don't recall the cable adjustment for the non drive side needing to be this snug, but this hub in NOS so it can't possibly be broken already and first not staying engaged reliably is potentially due to not enough tension on the NDS shift cable, so I think it's all good now.
Likes For jackbombay: