Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Resto-mod ideas for a 1930's frame.... ???

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Resto-mod ideas for a 1930's frame.... ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-20, 12:36 AM
agustanz

Bikes: 3 CCM Flyte's

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hudson308
Something like this?

One site you may want to check out is ratrodbikes
More along the lines of these..... in some but not all aspects.... I would have higher bars than the first one.... none of the extra racks or bags, but I like the long close fitting fenders.....

Old 01-25-20, 12:40 AM
agustanz

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kuromori
It also requires frame modification unless your 30's bike has removable stays.
I was looking at the kit that has a belt that joins together with rivots.... very clever. But that the end of the day to much money for the benefit for me.
Old 01-25-20, 12:42 AM
agustanz

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by '02 nrs
claud butler,cycleart refinish,mavic 27" ma40's,campy der.'s-shifters.build it they way you want-not what others want.
Yes I will at the end of the day do what I want on the bike, but it is still good to get extra ideas from those who have been there and done that!!! Nice bike mate. I love the drilled chainwheel.... I have that on my list.
Old 01-25-20, 12:50 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
I'd go with a coaster brake SA 3 speed and build the rest of the bike up plain.
Old 01-25-20, 01:07 AM
agustanz

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
I'd go with a coaster brake SA 3 speed and build the rest of the bike up plain.
That would be a fine bike, but not what I am after. I need more gears to make it easy on my knee to ride and get up some hills, plus I want to to look like a resto mod... hence the importance of the disc brakes on the old frame to make that statement.
It has no front brakes at all from the factory so I would want something up front to be able to stop better. Part of it is the usability and part is the look for sure. Got to draw and crowd when parked otherwise why bother!
Old 01-25-20, 01:11 AM
agustanz

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I want LOTS of highly polished aluminium so I am thinking of this chainwheel and cranks.... 42 Campagnolo...
Likes For agustanz:
Old 01-25-20, 01:13 AM
agustanz

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Brooks B33 seat I have almost new already....
Old 01-25-20, 01:15 AM
agustanz

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Aluminium mustache bars, not sure which way up yet! With reverse levers and internal cables to the brake calipers....

Old 01-25-20, 01:18 AM
agustanz

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Cinelli XA stem.... Campagnolo, Grand Sport pedals, alloy headset, full length tight fitting fenders over 28 40mm tyres in white....
Lots of highly polished alloy, but no carbon fibre.....
Old 01-25-20, 01:27 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by agustanz
the importance of the disc brakes on the old frame
How are you going to fasten the caliper to the frame?
Old 01-25-20, 01:46 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
This. And also the issue of the fork not being made for stress of disc brakes. It's just a bad idea unless you're determined to change the frame/fork a lot with brazing/welding.

OTOH, I've got this totally great Idea of converting a 1899 or earlier frame to 11-speed Dura Ace. Anyone have a a 120-year-old Iver or Columbia or something (in 24") they want to send my way?
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 01-25-20, 02:06 AM
agustanz

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Using the TRP Spyre flat mount mechanical disc brake calipers on the rear and putting two holes through the frame and brazing in two tubes through. The front I might use the pedestal mounted caliper and braze on two tubular thread mounts I would turn up in the lathe.... with tapering bracing either side to spread out the force over a larger area.

Last edited by agustanz; 01-25-20 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-25-20, 02:09 AM
agustanz

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
This. And also the issue of the fork not being made for stress of disc brakes. It's just a bad idea unless you're determined to change the frame/fork a lot with brazing/welding.

OTOH, I've got this totally great Idea of converting a 1899 or earlier frame to 11-speed Dura Ace. Anyone have a a 120-year-old Iver or Columbia or something (in 24") they want to send my way?
Mounting is easy. If you had read the thread, the front fork is a replica, made stronger than the 1930's original... so it is fine for the forces of a mechanical disc brake on a road bike.
Sorry can't help with anything as early as 1899.... my earliest is only 1902.
Old 01-25-20, 02:23 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Mounting is easy. If you had read the thread, the front fork is a replica, made stronger than the 1930's original... so it is fine for the forces of a mechanical disc brake on a road bike.
Oh, that's right. I did read that when I first saw this thread a couple days ago but didn't go back to re-read, so I forgot.

So it's an 'anything goes' mishmash kind of thing. Carry on. I shouldn't be commenting on anything regarding upright bikes since I have no experience with them since my Sting Ray back in 1971 or so.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 01-25-20, 08:30 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
I'll throw in my two cents against disc brakes. I've been jealous of you and others building up these old path racers!

I think you should buy a Di2 Nexus coaster brake hub and run a front drum brake. I've wanted a Pashley Guv'nor and think they're cool.

But I'll enjoy watching the build up with discs as well
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 01-25-20, 09:31 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Cinelli XA stem....
Just a word of warning, this stem comes in two bar clamp diameters: 26.0 and 26.4. The 26.4 is proprietary Cinelli clamp diameter so you'd need to find Cinelli (or other compatible Italian) bars. Those Nitto bars are either 25.4 or 26.0. Just pay attention to what you're buying or you'll end up with a stem that doesn't fit your bars!! I would suggest a Nitto Crystem or Nitto Dynamic if you can't find the Cinelli XA in the right length with the proper clamp diameter. They have a little of the Cinelli XA look but without the hassle.

It's also less hassle to use a drum brake on the rear, and you probably won't notice the difference in braking power on the rear, and the "rear-drum, front-disc" combo is something many motorcycles and cars did for some time, but it sounds like you've got your heart set on disc brakes. I'm interested to see the fabrication and brazing job! I do little things to old frames sometimes too.
Old 01-25-20, 06:31 PM
agustanz

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
I'll throw in my two cents against disc brakes. I've been jealous of you and others building up these old path racers!
I think you should buy a Di2 Nexus coaster brake hub and run a front drum brake. I've wanted a Pashley Guv'nor and think they're cool.

But I'll enjoy watching the build up with discs as well
They are a great looking bike! I love the style and the tyres really set it off.
Old 01-25-20, 06:33 PM
agustanz

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Just a word of warning, this stem comes in two bar clamp diameters: 26.0 and 26.4. The 26.4 is proprietary Cinelli clamp diameter so you'd need to find Cinelli (or other compatible Italian) bars. Those Nitto bars are either 25.4 or 26.0. Just pay attention to what you're buying or you'll end up with a stem that doesn't fit your bars!! I would suggest a Nitto Crystem or Nitto Dynamic if you can't find the Cinelli XA in the right length with the proper clamp diameter. They have a little of the Cinelli XA look but without the hassle.

It's also less hassle to use a drum brake on the rear, and you probably won't notice the difference in braking power on the rear, and the "rear-drum, front-disc" combo is something many motorcycles and cars did for some time, but it sounds like you've got your heart set on disc brakes. I'm interested to see the fabrication and brazing job! I do little things to old frames sometimes too.
Thanks so much for the heads up there. I am on a steep learning curve and that all helps!!
I have gone down the rabbit hole googling those Nitto stems and quite like them!
Old 01-25-20, 07:37 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
I wouldn't call this a resto-mod but sort of followed what an early 1900's raw and robust racer would be and to experience the feel without spending much. Very easy to make and super cheap.

Started with a 1966 Schwinn 'Racer' upright 3 speed and converted to a 700c (28 in.) fixed gear.

Likes For crank_addict:
Old 01-25-20, 07:55 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I want LOTS of highly polished aluminium so I am thinking of this chainwheel and cranks.... 42 Campagnolo...
That looks more like a 48T or 50T, if that matters.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-25-20, 08:40 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
What is the reason this project requires an original 1930s frame? Which feature is desired?

I would definitely want modern tires. Were this to be a rider would be very choosy about finding a 1930s frame that would allow good brakes. Of course w/o resorting to discs. Why would such a thing be desirable? Will this 1930s frame be refitted with through axles and the dropouts for such? 1930s will likely have a 110mm rear fork, coaster brake would go right in.

Recently had an incident where my modern production DL-1 retro-fitted with cantis handled a panic stop in the rain with no panic. Riding companion with Dura Ace hydraulics slid out of control. 66 degree seat angle and wide soft tires had a lot to do with that. Discs would not have helped. No help was needed. Just cheap Tektro Oryx from 2005 beat best discs available.
Old 01-25-20, 08:51 PM
agustanz

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
I wouldn't call this a resto-mod but sort of followed what an early 1900's raw and robust racer would be and to experience the feel without spending much. Very easy to make and super cheap.

Started with a 1966 Schwinn 'Racer' upright 3 speed and converted to a 700c (28 in.) fixed gear.

That is SUPER cool, very nicely done! I really love those bars... what are they???
Old 01-25-20, 08:53 PM
agustanz

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
That looks more like a 48T or 50T, if that matters.
Good call.... that's just a photo off the net of the look I am after... I would use the small inner cog for mine.
Old 01-25-20, 09:05 PM
agustanz

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
What is the reason this project requires an original 1930s frame? Which feature is desired?

I would definitely want modern tires. Were this to be a rider would be very choosy about finding a 1930s frame that would allow good brakes. Of course w/o resorting to discs. Why would such a thing be desirable? Will this 1930s frame be refitted with through axles and the dropouts for such? 1930s will likely have a 110mm rear fork, coaster brake would go right in.

Recently had an incident where my modern production DL-1 retro-fitted with cantis handled a panic stop in the rain with no panic. Riding companion with Dura Ace hydraulics slid out of control. 66 degree seat angle and wide soft tires had a lot to do with that. Discs would not have helped. No help was needed. Just cheap Tektro Oryx from 2005 beat best discs available.
I like the look of the disc brakes mostly, and for the riding for exercise I will do they will be good enough. They would be the only thing on the bike that really screams "modern", which ti me is good. Good tyres are a must. I want white or cream 28 by 40 or 32 I was thinking??? The replica front fork will be modified by me to have a full round hole at least on the brake side if not both side if that can be done to keep the wheel in with the disc brake.
Old 01-25-20, 09:12 PM
agustanz

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Now that's an interesting question.... and might change the course of this thread a little!
Here is a picture of the type of frame and forks I will be using.... (not the actual ones)......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.