Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Busch Mueller IQ-X on Canyon H31 Cockpit

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-19, 04:42 AM
cameronero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I got a new Canyon bike for Christmas and just realised that my BM IQ-X Premium LED light does not fit on the Canyon H31 Cockpit. The mount is not large enough and the cockpit is also differently shaped. I called the hotline and they do not have mount to ordee. Does anyone have some advice? Could I go for some ellastic rings?

Many thanks in advance
Old 12-27-19, 08:16 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Would a fork crown mount work?
Old 12-27-19, 08:49 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I know someone that put an IQ-X on the bottom of one of those out front garmin mounts that also allows you to mount a gopro underneath. I think he modified the mount.
Old 12-27-19, 09:38 AM
cameronero

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you both. I think a fork crown mount would not work as it is all carbon and I would have to drill into it.

There is a special Garmin outfront mount for this cockpit which I have ordered as the normal one does not fit. But the new one will be middle centred so cannot install two of them.
Old 12-27-19, 03:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you're handy with tools, or know someone who is, the existing out front mounts could be modified. That's what I usually do, with moto tools, etc. Usually looks kinda homebrewed but acceptable for my older bikes.

Otherwise, check for on-demand 3D printing. Maybe a spacer/mount can be custom made to suit the doodads you want for that Canyon's cockpit. You'd be the only kid in town with a doodad mount as spiffy as your new bike.

And if you're not completely set on the B&M IQ-X Premium, check out Outbound Lighting. They're fairly new, among the tiny handful of bike headlight makers who designed their lights like motor vehicle headlights with lenses that focus the beam and have a cutoff to prevent overhead spill. They ain't cheap at over $200. But so far they look like the best designed bike headlights made so far, and customer reviews have been good.

I'm seriously considering Outbound because I often ride at night, both to avoid traffic and because it's cooler in Texas summer. Many of my fastest Strava PRs were set at night. But there's always a risk of too-close encounters with critters. I narrowly missed a dart of deer (that should be collective name for deer, right?) the other night. I use two headlights so the beam spread and road coverage is pretty good, out to the grassy road edges. But it's awkward and doesn't leave much room on the tops of the bars for a relaxed hand position on those steep hill climbs. I figured by the time I've rigged up two Light & Motion or NiteRider lights, TwoFish mounting blocks, etc., I've spent around $200 anyway for an inferior, cobbled together rig.

With the Outbound, the light head weighs only 100g. Not much to disrupt the bike's handling. The battery pack weighs just over 300g, and can be strapped to the top tube or downtube where it has little affect on handling.
Old 12-27-19, 04:57 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,453 Times in 1,132 Posts
The photo of the Garmin mount suggests that it is held to the bar/stem unit with two screws. You might be able to fabricate a bracket that you could install under the Garmin mount with the same two screws. Or might need longer screws.

I have put together several brackets for a variety of things with some aluminum bar stock, a hack saw, file and an electric drill. Some of my projects looked professionally done after sprayed with some glossy black.
Old 12-27-19, 07:54 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
What is the IQ-X premium?

If you can get a go pro mount then you can source a dynamo light adapter here...
GoPro Mounts and custom parts
Old 12-28-19, 06:58 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
B+M has a whole Page devoted to mounting brackets.

There is this handlebar bracket or this 1 1/8" head tube bracket that might work. Check out German retailers like bike24.com, bike-components.de or Rosebikes.com or look on eBay.
Old 12-29-19, 06:25 AM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by cameronero
I got a new Canyon bike for Christmas and just realised that my BM IQ-X Premium LED light does not fit on the Canyon H31 Cockpit.
The mount is not large enough and the cockpit is also differently shaped. I called the hotline and they do not have mount to ordee.
Does anyone have some advice?
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...ole-mount.html

And you can buy spacer from B&M as well Supernova.
bumm.de/en/products/mehr/produkt/471b.html
bumm.de/en/products/mehr/produkt/471b-1.html
https://shop.supernova-design.com/shop/product/supernova-spacer-mount-198
https://shop.supernova-design.com/shop/product/supernova-handlebar-bracket-53

Last edited by angerdan; 12-29-19 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-30-19, 02:34 AM
polyphrast

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
[...]my BM IQ-X Premium LED light does not fit on the Canyon H31 Cockpit. The mount is not large enough and the cockpit is also differently shape
Which light are you talking of? The B&M Ixon IQ Premium (the one powered with 4 AA batteries)? the B&M IQ-X (a dynamo light)?

You could use one of the minoura holders or the topeak barxtender and clamp them to the stem. Is that stem/handlebar thing made of aluminum or of carbon? If the latter, i have no clue how well the barxtender would stay in place on the stem (given the torqure restrictions for carbon)
If you meant the B&M IQ premium, there is a youtube video were a user ("captain overpacker") used the barxtender to mount two IQ Premium to his bike.

The suggested adapters (spacer replacements) would probably stand out in combination with that weird shaped stem of the H31

Originally Posted by canklecat
And if you're not completely set on the B&M IQ-X Premium, check out Outbound Lighting. They're fairly new, among the tiny handful of bike headlight makers who designed their lights like motor vehicle headlights with lenses that focus the beam and have a cutoff to prevent overhead spill. They ain't cheap at over $200. But so far they look like the best designed bike headlights made so far, and customer reviews have been good.
Have to disagree a bit here on the OL Focal Road. Is is a good light, but the light distribution of the road version is not the best. I have that light and i have as well a Lupine SL(-F), and i had the chance to compare the OL Road to a B&M Ixon Space and i had the chance to test once a supernova m99 mini pro 25.
For people in the states it is the best road light, considering the pricing as well.(Light head only 140 USD, incl battery 215 USD)

Big pro of the OL Road: nice beam color tint, the warmest of all mentioned lights. And it would also fit to that aero bar shape.
Cons: 1) the area 4-6m in front of the bike is too brightly illuminated, especially on bright gravel roads this can be a bit blinding and the (perceived) reach of the light suffers due to this 2) There is a power step down in the light's electronics, which makes it impossible to use the highest two modes if the battery charge has fallen to 50% (the only way to circumvent this is using a 11V battery).

Since the OP is from GB, he has to pay import duties and import tax, that makes the OL quite a bit more expensive (and worldwide shipping costs 27 USD). If he doesn't need the wider illumination of the OL road and doesn't mind the cooler beam tint, the Ixon space does a very neat job. Albeit it only produces 500 lm the reach of the light is roughly the same as for the OL Road. The Ixon Space allows pass through charging while in use.
For someone in the states, the ixon space is a bit harder to obtain at reasonable prices (one would have to browse german/european bike shops and check whether they send the light to the states),

Here is a post of mine, where i compared the OL road with an ixon space (hint: download the images and view them full screen)

Last edited by polyphrast; 12-30-19 at 02:56 AM.
Likes For polyphrast:
Old 12-30-19, 03:40 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by polyphrast
Which light are you talking of? The B&M Ixon IQ Premium (the one powered with 4 AA batteries)? the B&M IQ-X (a dynamo light)?

You could use one of the minoura holders or the topeak barxtender and clamp them to the stem. Is that stem/handlebar thing made of aluminum or of carbon? If the latter, i have no clue how well the barxtender would stay in place on the stem (given the torqure restrictions for carbon)
If you meant the B&M IQ premium, there is a youtube video were a user ("captain overpacker") used the barxtender to mount two IQ Premium to his bike.

The suggested adapters (spacer replacements) would probably stand out in combination with that weird shaped stem of the H31

Have to disagree a bit here on the OL Focal Road. Is is a good light, but the light distribution of the road version is not the best. I have that light and i have as well a Lupine SL(-F), and i had the chance to compare the OL Road to a B&M Ixon Space and i had the chance to test once a supernova m99 mini pro 25.
For people in the states it is the best road light, considering the pricing as well.(Light head only 140 USD, incl battery 215 USD)

Big pro of the OL Road: nice beam color tint, the warmest of all mentioned lights. And it would also fit to that aero bar shape.
Cons: 1) the area 4-6m in front of the bike is too brightly illuminated, especially on bright gravel roads this can be a bit blinding and the (perceived) reach of the light suffers due to this 2) There is a power step down in the light's electronics, which makes it impossible to use the highest two modes if the battery charge has fallen to 50% (the only way to circumvent this is using a 11V battery).

Since the OP is from GB, he has to pay import duties and import tax, that makes the OL quite a bit more expensive (and worldwide shipping costs 27 USD). If he doesn't need the wider illumination of the OL road and doesn't mind the cooler beam tint, the Ixon space does a very neat job. Albeit it only produces 500 lm the reach of the light is roughly the same as for the OL Road. The Ixon Space allows pass through charging while in use.
For someone in the states, the ixon space is a bit harder to obtain at reasonable prices (one would have to browse german/european bike shops and check whether they send the light to the states),

Here is a post of mine, where i compared the OL road with an ixon space (hint: download the images and view them full screen)
Thanks for the links. Unfortunately I'm getting some formatting problems on my end and it's difficult to be sure which photos go with which descriptions. Might be something to do with Google's auto-translation from a German site.

Which of the lights you tested did you prefer? My use will be 75% road, mostly two-lane rural highways. Maybe a few casual gravel rides but no single track or fast off-road night rides of any kind.
Old 12-30-19, 04:28 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Thank you both. I think a fork crown mount would not work as it is all carbon and I would have to drill into it.

There is a special Garmin outfront mount for this cockpit which I have ordered as the normal one does not fit. But the new one will be middle centred so cannot install two of them.
Maybe there's some way to attach it to the fork. Some ideas here https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/light-mounts.php

Or maybe one of these https://problemsolversbike.com/produ...ck_release_nut
Old 12-30-19, 04:39 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

For someone in the states, the ixon space is a bit harder to obtain at reasonable prices (one would have to browse german/european bike shops and check whether they send the light to the states)
Several German retailers ship to the US so it's easy for us to get German lights. The space would be overkill for me. I like the Ixon/Pure AA powered lights because the batteries are replaceable on-the-go, and they work with a fork crown mount.

Edelux II is still the best dynamo light I have seen.
Old 12-30-19, 05:37 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,453 Times in 1,132 Posts
I have a light at skewer height on my errand bike. It is fine as a light to be seen, but when the light is that low you can get some odd shadows from stuff on the pavement like leaves, etc. Thus, you could have some surprises to navigate around when they are close. On my errand bike where I am riding on well lite streets or when I am on bike paths they are paths that I know well, thus the shadows do not bother me. But I would not want to ride a great distance at night on a road that I am not familiar with using a light that low.
Old 12-30-19, 06:02 PM
polyphrast

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Which of the lights you tested did you prefer? My use will be 75% road, mostly two-lane rural highways. Maybe a few casual gravel rides but no single track or fast off-road night rides of any kind.
I answered this more elaborately in a different thread, where i think it fits better. https://www.bikeforums.net/21263579-post73.html

Originally Posted by kingston
Several German retailers ship to the US so it's easy for us to get German lights. The space would be overkill for me. I like the Ixon/Pure AA powered lights because the batteries are replaceable on-the-go, and they work with a fork crown mount.
However not all of those shops ship the ixon space to the states, try it.... bike24.com does it
Old 12-30-19, 06:32 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

However not all of those shops ship the ixon space to the states, try it.... bike24.com does it
I have ordered more than a dozen B&M lights from several German online retailers. Not sure why this one would be any different, but I guess I would have to try to order it to find out for sure. I'll leave that to someone else since I have no interest in a handlebar mounted light with an integrated lithium battery.