Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What size Whitworth Tools needed to work on Raleigh 3 speeds?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-09, 10:54 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts

I'm hopeful that one of our UK members can advise me. I'm getting tired of using crescent wrenches when working on Raleighs. What size Whitworth spanners should I buy to work on classic English Three speeds? Or will I have to break down and buy a set?
Old 12-10-09, 11:08 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Probably no help but here's a chart with inch measurements.

And just how exactly did they come up with the Whitworth fractions?

1/4W = 5/16 British Standard = .525 inches = 13.34 mm. I just got a headache looking at that.

edit: forgot the link: https://www.samstagsales.com/whitworth_table.htm
Whitworth will do that to you.
Old 12-11-09, 09:51 AM
old and new

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not from the UK but AM from a hardware backround including but exlusively English Cars.
Whitworth pertains to the thread pitch not the wrench size. Odd fractional sizes required for the heads of bolts and to a lesser extent allen screws are just that, odd. Old USA wrenches came in sizes meas. to 32ths of an inch. I've used 'em 'cause I have 'em; only occassionally and not on bikes as I recall. I've not worked on numerous Raleighs either. For Allen sizes, I can't see metric (or frac.) not working. Pertaining to the Whitworth open ends or "spanners"... let's see what Brits have to say. Whitworth, to extent that is was ever used; Raleighs & others and on Triumph Cars has been gone for forty years. As it pertains to you, it does to the old ones.
Old 12-11-09, 10:42 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Search for the words "dumbell spanner" on ebay. You can get them in both metric and SAE sizes, either one has ten sizes, the biggest around 15 mm, and it's small enough to fit in the smallest toolkit. I bought one of each, and am now wondering why I didn't get more. The SAE one fits the nuts on my English three speed bikes. They're a very useful tool to have with you when you go for a ride.
Old 12-11-09, 11:40 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Originally Posted by rhm
Search for the words "dumbell spanner" on ebay. You can get them in both metric and SAE sizes, either one has ten sizes, the biggest around 15 mm, and it's small enough to fit in the smallest toolkit. I bought one of each, and am now wondering why I didn't get more. The SAE one fits the nuts on my English three speed bikes. They're a very useful tool to have with you when you go for a ride.
Thanks rhm--done! One each for my wife and me.
I also found some Whitworth spanner sets on eBay, but I'm unsure what to buy, so I'm hoping to hear from someone who's fluent in Raleigh.
Old 12-11-09, 09:22 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I found on Ebay a pair of "Raleigh bicycle wrenchs". I guess they were part of an old toolkit. They have a pretty decent range of sizes stamped in to heavy sheet steel. Sort of like old fashioned dumbell spanners. You see them every now and then, so they're not rare.
Old 12-30-09, 09:03 AM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been asking the same questions looking at the hardware on my '65 & '66 Robin Hoods. Seems like a 17/32" socket would be the size I need for most stuff....but from the post above, I assume that's a 1/4W or 5/16 BS......whatever it is, the bike is so UN-buggered that it would be a horrible shame to mar up all the nuts just 'cause I was too lazy or too cheap to buy a few funky wrenches. In the meantime, I'm hoping a british car friend from around town might have a spare or two he could hook me up with.
Old 12-30-09, 09:12 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
The internet and ebay certainly would have helped me work on my BSA m/c back in the 70's. No one in the SW Va hills could find me any Whitworth tools.
Old 12-30-09, 09:21 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Great question. When I picked up an old Sprite last year and went to overhaul it I was surprised when neither my metric or SAE stuff fit. Needless to say I used knuckle buster crescent wrenches on a lot of it. Some of the parts I was able to use "normal" wrenches with "good enough" fit. I was familiar with Wentworth from my old Triumph Bonneville days, but didn't own any.
Old 12-30-09, 09:34 AM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I learned about them about 15 years ago when a friend became a BSA/Matchless/Triumph collector and we were comparing 'shop' stories on our projects. I'm gonna see what I can find among friends today & also find out if a 17/32" socket is obtainable here in town.
Old 12-30-09, 11:49 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

FWIW, I asked on the Gentleman Cyclist Google group, and was advised that 1/4W x 5/16W, 3/8W
x 7/16W, and 1/2W x 9/16W wrenches will take care of most of my needs. I got sticker shock looking at most of the recommended tools, but I found and purchased a set from britishtoolsonline on eBay motors. Now I'm waiting for them to arrive.
Old 12-30-09, 12:05 PM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
THat's still a little shocking for me, but it is what it is. thanks for the tip.
Old 12-30-09, 03:45 PM
Sluggo

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
My recollection from my bike shop days is that 1/4 and 5/16 are the two sizes you really need.

And yes, fiataccompli, we can arrange for you to use these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
snapon.jpg (40.9 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Sluggo; 12-30-09 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-30-09, 03:49 PM
bernardmarx
Hair Club Member

Bikes: '86 Miyata 310 '78 Raleigh Sports 3-Speed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's my understanding that Whitworth screws, bolts, etc. were normal 1/8 inch fractions - if you're measuring the shank, not the head! lol Even other British bike manufacturers didn't use Whitworth. And, yes, the threads are a different pitch. No wonder the French call an adjustable wrench a "cle Anglaise." Older Americans think a "spanner" is an adjustable wrench - probably for the same reason originaly.
Old 12-30-09, 05:37 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

There was a smaller set of open ended wrenches for under $30--that's the one I got. Maybe more will come up for sale.
Old 12-30-09, 06:05 PM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those are nice...Thank you!....Snap-On, no less!...I was lucky and a friend lent me a set of "spanners" and sockets this afternoon so I can check some things out, but ultimately, I may need to borrow those Snap-Ons some time or, in reality, buy the few I really need. Having something mechanical and not having the proper tools to repair or maintain it is a form of torture for me.....though I sometimes wish I didn't care.

Attached Images
Old 12-30-09, 07:51 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My brother still has a full set of Craftsman Whitworth wrenches from the 60s from a friend who raced a Triumph TR2 IIRC. He has open end, box end and socket sets.

Not sure what the Craftsman lifetime guarantee is worth though as these wrenches have not been made in years and you are NOT going to get a replacement from Craftsman if you break one.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/