Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pedestrians who pretend they don't see you

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-12, 11:38 AM
Midnight Biker
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are times when you just cannot avoid getting on the sidewalk, like on and near an extremely busy intersection, and getting off the bike is simply not something you want to do. I know it's illegal in most places, but sometimes I get on the sidewalk and ride at a very slow pace (3 - 5 mph). Normally, pedestrians are kind and move out of my way when I signal to them, but occasionally there are those who purposely block the way just to annoy me. Does this ever happen to you?

For those of you who've never ridden on the sidewalk, I'm sure you know how sometimes pedestrians can walk onto a street and get in your way, knowing full well you're coming.

It annoys me...
Old 07-25-12, 11:48 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
There's a reason it's called a sidewalk. Dismount and walk or ride on the road.
Old 07-25-12, 11:55 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
There's a reason it's called a sidewalk. Dismount and walk or ride on the road.
+1

If I'm a pedestrian on a sideWALK in a place where cycling on a sideWALK is illegal, I won't move over for someone riding a bicycle. Why should I? It's illegal for the cyclists to be there, and it is my area when I'm walking.
Old 07-25-12, 11:56 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Biker
There are times when you just cannot avoid getting on the sidewalk, like on and near an extremely busy intersection, and getting off the bike is simply not something you want to do. I know it's illegal in most places, but sometimes I get on the sidewalk and ride at a very slow pace (3 - 5 mph). Normally, pedestrians are kind and move out of my way when I signal to them, but occasionally there are those who purposely block the way just to annoy me. Does this ever happen to you?

For those of you who've never ridden on the sidewalk, I'm sure you know how sometimes pedestrians can walk onto a street and get in your way, knowing full well you're coming.

It annoys me...
Your equating your riding on the sidewalk and them annoying you by being there to them wandering into the road? Please tell me I'm misreading this...
Old 07-25-12, 12:00 PM
aramis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
GOTFS.

I manage to ride everywhere I need to go without using the sidewalk. If you need to use the sidewalk, get off your bike and walk.
Old 07-25-12, 12:07 PM
mwchandler21

Bikes: T1K

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out the OPs other threads. Starve him.
Old 07-25-12, 12:17 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts

Old 07-25-12, 12:18 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Originally Posted by tagaproject6

You really need to see a professional...
Old 07-25-12, 12:22 PM
Midnight Biker
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, but when I am on the sidewalk I am not riding at a pace of 11 mph, I'm riding as fast as most people walk.
Old 07-25-12, 12:23 PM
Midnight Biker
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aramis
GOTFS.

I manage to ride everywhere I need to go without using the sidewalk. If you need to use the sidewalk, get off your bike and walk.
Even if there is nobody present? Like on a side-street sidewalk?? Come on dude.
Old 07-25-12, 12:27 PM
tagaproject6

Looks like you have integrity issues as well.
Old 07-25-12, 12:30 PM
Midnight Biker
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like you have integrity issues as well.
What's that supposed to mean? Come on, what is THAT supposed to mean?

For everyone on here trying to pop a wheelie in order to impress other members by picking on me let me tell you this: verbal attacks and name calling are going to avail you very little with regards to me. Very, very little indeed.

These words mark my departure from this argument.
Old 07-25-12, 12:34 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

What's that supposed to mean? Come on, what is THAT supposed to mean?

For everyone on here trying to pop a wheelie in order to impress other members by picking on me let me tell you this: verbal attacks and name calling are going to avail you very little with regards to me. Very, very little indeed.

These words mark my departure from this argument.
Pop in, spawn argument with bad bike behavior rolled into what is to me a dumb question... get called on it right and left.. get huffy, make huffy statement and exit your own thread? Why don't you tell us why you HAVE to ride on the sidewalk?
Old 07-25-12, 12:40 PM
Midnight Biker
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
Pop in, spawn argument with bad bike behavior rolled into what is to me a dumb question... get called on it right and left.. get huffy, make huffy statement and exit your own thread? Why don't you tell us why you HAVE to ride on the sidewalk?
Because of the cars man, THE CARS!!! I said SPECIFICALLY that when I ride on the sidewalk it's because I'm near a large intersection where there is an overabundance of anxious and impatient drivers wanting to turn and run people over. Otherwise I ride on the street, because if you have read any of my previous posts you'd know that I can't stand the constant bumps and groves that send shock-waves to my brain on the sidewalk.

Now, there it is. Happy? Whatever, nobody here takes me seriously anyway. I've made some of the best threads and I get treated like a clown -- a village idiot.

I'm starting to think you people are not true bikers. If you were, wouldn't you be out riding instead of spending all day on this forum? I wouldn't be surprised if the lot of you had never even ridden a bike before. If you had, you'd know how difficult it is to ride on the road sometimes.

There. You asked for it and Midnight Biker delivered. Midnight Biker PWNED you. Okay.
Old 07-25-12, 12:44 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Because of the cars man, THE CARS!!! I said SPECIFICALLY that when I ride on the sidewalk it's because I'm near a large intersection where there is an overabundance of anxious and impatient drivers wanting to turn and run people over. Otherwise I ride on the street, because if you have read any of my previous posts you'd know that I can't stand the constant bumps and groves that send shock-waves to my brain on the sidewalk.

Now, there it is. Happy? Whatever, nobody here takes me seriously anyway. I've made some of the best threads and I get treated like a clown -- a village idiot.

I'm starting to think you people are not true bikers. If you were, wouldn't you be out riding instead of spending all day on this forum? I wouldn't be surprised if the lot of you had never even ridden a bike before. If you had, you'd know how difficult it is to ride on the road sometimes.

There.
I'm at work atm actually. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and treat you as serious for now. FYI, I ride a road bike 98% of the time and often I don't even start my car for 1 month periods even then usually just to run the engine... so what kind of intersections are we talking about? If you're talking about one with just a lineup and you feel filterings a bad idea and think you need to use the sidewalk, why not get into line with the cars like a regular vehicle and wait your turn? That's what I do unless of course there's a bikelane present... fyi I wouldn't be lashing out at the guys like that, they really do see your behavior as moronic and really do assume you know better.
Old 07-25-12, 12:45 PM
mymojo

Bikes: '10 Specialized Allez, '09 Cervelo S1, '93 Trek T200 (tandem), Rocky Mountain Metro 30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There. You asked for it and Midnight Biker delivered. Midnight Biker PWNED you. Okay.

"cyclists".
Old 07-25-12, 12:49 PM
Midnight Biker
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mymojo
"cyclists".
Right, cyclists. Sorry about that.
Old 07-25-12, 12:52 PM
Midnight Biker
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
I'm at work atm actually. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and treat you as serious for now. FYI, I ride a road bike 98% of the time and often I don't even start my car for 1 month periods even then usually just to run the engine... so what kind of intersections are we talking about? If you're talking about one with just a lineup and you feel filterings a bad idea and think you need to use the sidewalk, why not get into line with the cars like a regular vehicle and wait your turn? That's what I do unless of course there's a bikelane present... fyi I wouldn't be lashing out at the guys like that, they really do see your behavior as moronic and really do assume you know better.
Sorry, I just get fed up with stuff sometimes and I have to vent.
Old 07-25-12, 01:00 PM
iheartbacon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ride on the sidewalk when I'm downtown. If you look at this picture you'll see that the parking spaces are angled so a car has to park nose in. There's poor visibility backing out and a bike is hard to see. I know because when I drove a car I had difficulty seeing oncoming cars, motorcycles, and bicycles. It's even worse when you have a van or suv parked next to you. So to avoid an accident I ride on the sidewalk when I'm downtown. During festivals and the Farmers Market I walk my bike.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
downtown.jpg (12.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-25-12, 01:02 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts

It's like my 3 year old once said. "I don't like CLOWNS!!!"
Old 07-25-12, 01:05 PM
tagaproject6

If you were, wouldn't you be out riding instead of spending all day on this forum? I wouldn't be surprised if the lot of you had never even ridden a bike before. If you had, you'd know how difficult it is to ride on the road sometimes.

I do not know if the village idiot will see the irony in that...
Old 07-25-12, 01:12 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

I do not know if the village idiot will see the irony in that...
Should we really belittle him? Or should we educate him? hmm...
Old 07-25-12, 01:17 PM
Keith99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Yes everywhere, real cyclists do not ride on hte side walk, or at least not significantly more than cars drive on the sidewalk.
Old 07-25-12, 01:20 PM
Midnight Biker
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
Yes everywhere, real cyclists do not ride on hte side walk, or at least not significantly more than cars drive on the sidewalk.
Okay, and real people don't misspell the word "the".
Old 07-25-12, 01:22 PM
Keith99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iheartbacon
I ride on the sidewalk when I'm downtown. If you look at this picture you'll see that the parking spaces are angled so a car has to park nose in. There's poor visibility backing out and a bike is hard to see. I know because when I drove a car I had difficulty seeing oncoming cars, motorcycles, and bicycles. It's even worse when you have a van or suv parked next to you. So to avoid an accident I ride on the sidewalk when I'm downtown. During festivals and the Farmers Market I walk my bike.

That is one of the few situations I'll agree with and I have more miles cycling on the freeway than I do on the sidewalk. (and I mean the right traffic lane, not the shoulder). The other is short sections going into or out of a rest stop, but there off and walk if others are ppresent unless the sidewalk is huge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.