Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Advice: Lights and fenders

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-06, 04:40 PM
oldskoolboarder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've restarted my commute commitment and need some advice on lights and fenders.

I use my cyclocross bikes, sometimes w/ 32mm tires. My frame doesn't have the normal bridges or attachment points for fenders so I got a set of SKS Raceblades. Won't work because my fork doesn't rake properly and the rear tire is still too big.

I'm looking at an SKS X-blade and a front mudguard:
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

Any other suggestions?

For lights, I'm looking for a decent headlight. I have an HL-500 and it's fine until I hit pitch black. Any suggestions that'd be a decent upgrade from that?
Old 01-23-06, 06:22 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well I know of one thread that might help you out on the lighting issue...

I would look at the SKS race blades clip on fender actually.
Old 01-24-06, 09:36 AM
CBBaron

Bikes: Pugsley, fixie commuter, track bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Using some P-clips (so named because they look like a P) and zip ties I'm sure you could use a traditional full fender in the front. Try one of the SKS or Planet Bike Freddy fenders. I know Planet bike sells individual fenders.
A seatpost mounted fender like the X-Blade will keep most of the water and grime off your back but your legs and bike will get alot of spray off the front of the tire. With a little ingenuity I'm guessing you can get a full fender to work back there also.
Race-Blades are designed for skinny tire road bikes where frame and fork clearance is also an issue. A cross bike will have sufficient clearance for fenders the lack of mount points just means it requires more ingenuity.
Craig
Old 01-24-06, 01:15 PM
Wheels4

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Cervelo and Santana

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
Well I know of one thread that might help you out on the lighting issue...
yeah... I referred to the Geekiness for my DIY light set-up and I'm really happy with mine. up to 30(10 and 20) watts of power lasting up to 4 or 5 hrs depending on what wattage i'm using. the best part is I got to choose my light housings(i used two Maglite's). whole system cost me less than 115.00(or somewhere around there).

edit: good luck Oldskool...