Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What shoes when off of the bike?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What shoes when off of the bike?

Old 07-09-19, 08:21 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Suspension shoes for when one is off the bike with hydraulic brakes & suspension fork!
Hey, gotta keep up with the times dude
(This was another April fools thing from a Quebec outdoor store, they've done some great ones the last few years)
Funnier were the product testimonials, hilarious.
Old 07-10-19, 08:35 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Hey, gotta keep up with the times dude
(This was another April fools thing from a Quebec outdoor store, they've done some great ones the last few years)
Funnier were the product testimonials, hilarious.
That's what happens when one knows just enough French to get in trouble. I figured since mountain running is a thing nowadays, why not?
Old 07-10-19, 09:08 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
Clipless, Sidi Dominators - walkable no problem. Town shoes, La Sportiva trail runners - nice to be able to hike, too. We carry an REI Flash 18 daypack - 9 oz. It's good for shopping and hiking.
Old 07-10-19, 09:08 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
Ya, they've done maybe 4 of these and each one has been very very well done, looks real at first, then reading the description and user reviews, it dawns on you.....
Old 07-13-19, 01:09 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I need/want to put something on my feet off the bike I always have in my saddle bag a minimalist pair of sandals (Unshoes Wakova Feathers) - they are only 5mm thick flat rubber with very minimal straps, takes up very little space. I love supporting the hand made cottage industry type stuff. Wokova Feather Sandal
Old 07-13-19, 07:21 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Agree on the sandals for warm weather doubling as shower shoes. I have an unusually light weight pair of Teva sandals for that.

Cooler weather will often mean possibly wet weather too. For that I wear Merrill Moab hiking shoes that are rated as waterproof. When walking through wet tall grass, water got inside the shoes but that was from the water getting into the socks from the grass and the water getting into the shoes that way, there was not much I could do about that. But overall, that is my favorite shoe for off bike wear.

I have also ridden several days with those shoes on the bike on the platform side of my A530 or M324 pedals, either to give my cycling shoes a chance to dry out from rain or because the road was so bad that hiking shoes made more sense than cycling shoes. I find that these shoes have a stiff enough sole that they are comfortable to wear on the bike pedals.

I find my Keen cycling sandals are comfortable enough that I do not need to change out of them at the end of the ride like I had to with some of my other cycling shoes that were less comfortable. I have had some cycling shoes where I changed shoes before I got my tent up in a campsite, but I often wear the Keens for a couple hours before getting around to changing out of them.
Old 07-27-19, 12:28 PM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
I ride in SPD shoes that look and feel like sneakers, but still prefer to take them off at camp because they get pretty hot and damp after a long day riding. Two years ago, I brought Crocs which are lightweight, but provide no support for things like hiking or walking any distance, really. Last year, I brought a pair of Keene sneaker-ish things. I'll take them again this year. They're lighter than most similar shoes and pack pretty flat. But most importantly, actually feel/function like a regular pair of sneakers, unlike the Crocs.