Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Favorite bystander comments

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Favorite bystander comments

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-19, 10:25 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
Cruising along the river bike path on a Miyata 310. As I’m passing by a kid who is stationary & off to the side, he yells out, “POP A WHEELIE!”

Last edited by deux jambes; 10-30-19 at 11:10 PM.
Likes For deux jambes:
Old 10-30-19, 10:34 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
Five of us rolled into a convenience store in the wee hours of the morning somewhere in rural southern North Carolina. We were not quite half-way through a 1000k brevet, tired but not yet done for the day. A Ford Ranger pulled up to the pumps, and a woman got out. Seeing us decked out in rando gear and geeked up for night riding, she hollered "Y'all must be famous! Can I have your autographs?"

We obliged.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-31-19, 12:48 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
A few off the top of my noggin:

"Your wheels are turning!" from a fisherman on Long Island where I lived as a kid. Same guy, same line, every time, sorta daily ritual. Heckuva fisherman, though. Never saw him empty handed coming away from his little boat. He had the magic touch with lures for bluefish, weakfish and stripers.

"Wanna race?!?!" from teenagers in pickup trucks.

"I like your (bike/helmet/jersey/shorts/lights)!" usually from women. Go figure.

"Steel is real," from other cyclists (when I'm on my Ironman or Univega).

"Get on the sidewalk!" on a deserted two lane road with no sidewalk. Then the guy brake checked me at a stop sign. I offered to call the police to educate him on bike laws while we waited. He declined and went about his way.

"Get on the bike path!" in 1978 along Rock Creek Park early one morning on my way to work at the Navy hospital in Bethesda. No traffic. Just one crazy old man who actually kept swerving in front of me and braking to cut me off. I finally got around him. This was the same place where Chandra Levy was murdered years later. Someone should have warned her only fools and victims use that bike/jogging path.

"$%#^!!*?!!" or something to that effect from a Hungarian diplomat who doored me in downtown Washington DC. Apparently he was mad because my bike scratched the paint on his limo. He was in a tux and apparently headed to some function. I was a lowly Navy enlisted man and figured I'd lose any dispute over who was at fault, and he was probably too busy to wait, so I skedaddled. That was the last time I tried to be Mr. Nice Guy riding to the right. I've been a take-the-lane guy since that incident in 1978.
Old 10-31-19, 04:42 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 301 Posts
“Hey buddy, you’re going to want to throw those away”

Says the guy riding behind me referring to my apparently worn out, see-through bibs. Embarrassing to say the least!
Old 10-31-19, 06:34 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Best was probably a few years ago while out on my pinkish Giordana Antares....and wearing pink of course. Ran dow a couple riders that were going fast and pacing off each other. Talked to the older guy for a minute or two and then took back off. Heard the younger kid laugha and say something about a pink bike, to which the older guy said shut up, he passed us didn't he?
Old 10-31-19, 06:50 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
While slowly spinning up a steep hill in a bike lane a lady in her 70-80's is waiting to cross the road and she says to me, "you're taking a risk there aren't you?".

Without thinking I quickly responded, "Aren't we all."

Then we kissed.

Likes For -holiday76:
Old 10-31-19, 08:18 AM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
Elderly man in his 70s says to me "Ive been mismatching my sicks since the 60s" pointing to my socks.

A few feet behind him his wife is rolling her eyes.

Last edited by malcala622; 10-31-19 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-31-19, 08:43 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
I used to ride from my high school to the college where I took classes a couple miles away. There was a long bridge or a shortcut that involved me carrying the bike down three stories of twisting concrete stairs. Guy at the top as I hoisted the bike onto my shoulder: "If you were a really good, you could ride down those."
Old 10-31-19, 08:46 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I was dead last in a local 100K and the SAG vehicle missed my position and picked up all the turn signs ahead of me. I'm on a crossroads in the country looking at the route sheet and trying to decide where I was when a fellow comes by in a pickup, slows, points up one of the roads and says, "they went that way". Lol...theya also closed up the water stops, so I limped in on a drip.
Old 10-31-19, 09:13 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Overheard...

...as I sprinted up a modest hill on an organized ride last weekend, where many riders were struggling and more had dismounted and were walking up,
"Look at that guy....whoa..."
Old 10-31-19, 09:15 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Dude there's a scorpion on your butt from a female coworker after I had biked to work in my Castelli bibs.

On my first STP (Seattle to Portland bike ride with about 8000 riders) we were going along lake Washington early Saturday morning (about 6 am) and the route took us past a boat launch with a line of fisherman waiting to put in, as my group rolls past I hear a guy in a trailered boat say to his buddy I thought we were fools to be up this early.......these people are on bikes!
Old 10-31-19, 10:18 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
"I've got a buddy with a bike that weighs 8 lbs."

I'm sure most everyone has heard something like this.
Old 10-31-19, 10:23 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Teenage girls driving by me and a buddy in a convertible car on San Ramon Valley Blvd in Danville, California: "F*****s!"

We saw them slow down to pull into the local high school, so we stood up, sprinted, and caught up with them before they got out. I slid up to the passenger side, he slid up to the driver, and simultaneously, without discussion, hosed them down with our water bottles, then rode off.

Definitely not one of the brightest things I ever did.
Definitely one of the most satisfying.

Last edited by gugie; 10-31-19 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-31-19, 12:17 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
(Altered it to make it fit.)
Teenage guys, with one girl, from a car wash stall in Greenville, NC: "F*****s!"

As I was running the 4th 5-mile leg of a 20-mile training run, with a new partner each time.
I had on Arizona flag shorts, with the star on the crotch. And running shoes. (Hey, it was summer).
I stop.

My partner goes, "oh, no." Two of the teens run behind the car. The girl just sits there, with a guy. I reach out to shake his hand.

"Hi, I'm Robbie, and I'm not a f----t."

I wink at the girl, determine his name is Greg, and up close, he's not quite as brave. Then I finish my workout.
The guy I was running with still tells that story.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 10-31-19 at 12:21 PM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 10-31-19, 12:19 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
"Dude, those two old guys just rode right by us."

On Thunder Ridge's climb, with @rccardr, on steel Merckx bikes.
Both "bystanders" were young, and on carbon underbikes.
Funny thing is, one of them was wearing a wool Molteni jersey.
Old 10-31-19, 12:30 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I stop.

My partner goes, "oh, no." Two of the teens run behind the car. The girl just sits there, with a guy. I reach out to shake his hand.

"Hi, I'm Robbie, and I'm not a f----t."

I wink at the girl, determine his name is Greg, and up close, he's not quite as brave. Then I finish my workout.
The guy I was running with still tells that story.
That's like a martial arts move, using the opponents momentum against him.
Old 10-31-19, 12:42 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Got lots, but my all time favorite is the little boy walking with his mother after seeing me ride by on my recumbent, "mommy, what's wrong with that man that he has to ride a bicycle like that?"
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 10-31-19, 12:46 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by tgenec86
One more (I've got plenty). Screaming down a long descent in the Blue Ridge Parkway near Wintergreen Ski Resort, I passed a sport motorcycle - he shot past me again, so I let it all hang out and used every single bit of descending skill I ever learned. BTW, I learned how to descend from Davis Phinney back when he was still riding for Coors Light and I was on Team Richbrau. I passed him again and then railed every turn, sprinted up to speed and carved the next bend. I got to the bottom with about five seconds on the guy. The moto rider pulled alongside me and said "If anyone told me that had happened I'd have called them a bare assed liar -and I still don't think I believe what I just saw!"
You should have offered to race him back up the hill. That would really have blown his mind.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 10-31-19, 12:48 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
What is it abut celeste Bianchis? I took the Brava on a ride with a couple friends, just after I got it. They were on much newer bikes, one a carbon Orbea. We stopped at a convenience store for something to drink and parked the bikes outside. A local walked up to us to admire the bikes and said, pointing to mine, "I bet that one is worth more." I just grinned.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Likes For horatio:
Old 10-31-19, 01:52 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 377 Posts
After a breaking my pelvis in a crash, I'm trying to walk out of the ER (my brother is getting the car) and one of the nurses offers to help me. Once we get outside, she lights up a cigarette. So, I say: "With all we know about smoking and you working as a nurse, you're still smoking?". She replied: "Look what staying in shape did to you!"

A plumbing company van pulls along side and the driver yells: "What are you some kinda f*g in those shorts?" To which I replied: "Your the one checking out my butt."
Old 10-31-19, 05:04 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
This summer returning to the motel I was staying at a 5-ish year old boy asked his dad "Why is that man riding a bicycle?", like it was the darnedest thing he'd ever seen.
Old 10-31-19, 06:27 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 1,262 Times in 602 Posts
Last Sunday I was on the commenting end, my wife and I were at a nearby park checking out the fall colors, on foot. We were walking on the MUP and I told her there was a bike coming behind us so we moved over just as I heard "On your left". A man about our age rolled by on a nice blue Lemond and I remarked as he went by "Ooh, a Lemond, nice." It must have taken a bit for it to register but about 50 feet past us he came to a stop and turned with a grin and said, "Thanks." Then sounding like he was half in disbelief he asked, "You know about Lemonds?" We chatted briefly and then he was off, I think I just may have made his day.
Old 10-31-19, 06:46 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
This time the comment came from me and my brother.l back in the early 80's.
We were at Wares Cycle Center, just southwest of Milwaukee. College students and all starry eyed whenever we saw nice race bikes. 9 times out of 10, we just gawk at all the nice bikes and framesets and never buy anything.
We saw this old man in full racing kit (seems to be at least in his late 70's) at the counter, talking to the store manager and holding his beautiful black anodized lugged aluminum bike with full Campy SR Gruppo, next to him.
My brother and I got closer to him and the bike and we were trying to figure out what brand bike it was. I insisted it was an ALAN, but my brother thought it was a Vitus. Apparently the old cyclist overheard our mumblings behind him and turned around glaring at me and my brother looking furious and bellowed out. "IT'S NOT AN ALAN OR A VITUS!, IT'S A GOD DAMN BADOR!! THE LIGHTEST BIKE IN THE WORLD!!!"...Then he turned back towards the store manager at the counter and continued their conversation shaking his head as he turned away.....
The guy scared us and we got out of there quickly with our bike knowledge pride hurt and tails between our legs.
My brother and I still remember and talk about that incident, but now older, we have good feelings reminiscing about it as we think the guy was just funnin with us whipper snappers back then and must have had a real good laugh with the store manager at the counter, after we left.....
Old 10-31-19, 08:06 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Late '80s, riding along in a group, we passed a guy walking around an old Ferrari. 'Is that a 250 GT?' asked a rider. 'It was,' the driver said, 'I'm about to shoot it.'
Old 10-31-19, 08:16 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
A plumbing company van pulls along side and the driver yells: "What are you some kinda f*g in those shorts?" To which I replied: "Your the one checking out my butt."
Hey, at least cycling shorts cover our crack when we bend over. "Plumbers-crack", on the other hand, might be construed by some as an invitation

DD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.