Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Dent repair strength?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Dent repair strength?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-19, 05:10 AM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Dent repair strength?

I've been checking out the Yellow Jersey website and I had a question about the dent repair process. Looks to be that you roll the frame to diminish the dent, then fill it with brazing, sand, and paint.
Once that's completed how has the ultimate strength been affected? I know deformation and the rolling back would weaken the tube, but then you'd have some extra material on the braze patch. Of course the tubing would be heated in that process too.
Would it make a difference if the tubing were 531 or chro-mo? Initial dent size/depth?
I know this is all dependent on a lot of factors, but can any generalities be made?
Old 11-24-19, 09:14 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
It's a lot more complex than you're making it to be. Of course, some of these issues are not easy to grasp. I assume filling with bronze makes a difference with a heat treated tubing, but shouldn't with chromo or 531. Rolling might put microcracks in a tube, but it's not going to weaken it unless those cracks coalesce into a macro crack. A dent makes a tube more likely to buckle, but it doesn't really weaken the tube at all. In general, it's a pretty solid repair.
Old 11-24-19, 02:05 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
There's some work-hardening that results from rolling out dents. Filling low spots with lead solder rather than brass or silver requires less heat.
Old 11-24-19, 08:23 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I'll add that most dents are in the less stressed mid sections of tubes. So the after repairs are subject to less forces then the tube ends where undercutting (from heavy handed filing or poor welding) and overheating can be found. Dent repairs take a real toll on the paint and often don't add any benefit but cosmetic. Andy
Old 11-26-19, 05:12 AM
3Roch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
Thi
s seemed like a place to mention this; only works on seat tubes. Had a dent half way down the seat tube (DB 531) No sharp edges, paint nice. Made the tool in the pict on the lathe .002 bigger than seat post dia, drove it down tube after cleaning out tube and lubing with moly paste, pulled it out with slide hammer. All but a couple thou of dent gone. YMMV
Likes For 3Roch:
Old 12-01-19, 11:42 AM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by 3Roch
Thi
s seemed like a place to mention this; only works on seat tubes. Had a dent half way down the seat tube (DB 531) No sharp edges, paint nice. Made the tool in the pict on the lathe .002 bigger than seat post dia, drove it down tube after cleaning out tube and lubing with moly paste, pulled it out with slide hammer. All but a couple thou of dent gone. YMMV
Thats pretty slick.