Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Old Mountain Bikers

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old Mountain Bikers

Old 11-28-19, 10:32 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch
I seem to be constantly explaining to newbies that the risks of road riding are often devastating (or fatal) and often largely out of your control. Whereas the risks of mountain bike riding are usually lesser and largely in your control.
+1 on this.

I'm 60 and still do big backcountry rides in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest. The big differences from riding these trails in my 30's to today:
1. The equipment is so much better. Today I am riding a 6" travel full-suspension, slack head angle bike that just soaks up the tech on the trail.
2. When in doubt, I am wise enough now to hop off and walk the really sketchy stuff.

I love mountain biking and hope I can keep it up for the rest of my life.
Likes For woodway:
Old 11-28-19, 10:52 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,452 Times in 1,128 Posts
3 years shy of 70 myself.
This was my first mountain bike, built for me by a friend when I was in my mid thirties:

I've been riding regularly ever since.
A year ago the arthritis at the base of my thumbs got so bad I couldn't ride anymore, but I noticed that I had no trouble on my road bikes with drop bars, so I put the biggest tires I could on my sturdiest road bike and took it out on the trails to see how I did. Thumb pain gone!
So my old friend built me another bike, this one designed specifically for drop bars:

I don't get the "big air" like some of the kids, but I'm not yet ready to say goodbye to the rocks, roots, fast descents, and big climbs.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 11-29-19, 01:04 PM
reconnaissance

Bikes: Trek 850, Trek 510, Cannondale 300m, Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Bianchi Virata

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts
60 years old this year. Been riding MTB’s since 1985. Lots of fun and agreeable change of pace from my road bike. I haven’t yet learned not to fall over but I did give up toeclips on the MTB and it has helped some.

My bike is a steel Trek 850 with no suspension. But I have ridden my son’s full suspension fat tired beast and found it to be much more nimble and stable on the trails we ride.
Old 11-29-19, 01:52 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,565 Times in 1,214 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
3 years shy of 70 myself.

I don't get the "big air" like some of the kids, but I'm not yet ready to say goodbye to the rocks, roots, fast descents, and big climbs.
Brent
I still ride with bottles, gives a good taste of your surroundings, lol.
Old 11-30-19, 10:28 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts

Now that is a well used gravel grinder!