Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

DIY Electrolytes Drink

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

DIY Electrolytes Drink

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-19, 10:32 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Jeez, when I was a nurse, I met plenty I didn't respect.

I find some of the pretend lawyers apportioning fault in the A&S forum pretty funny.
To be honest, I have met a few bad ones too, like the sadistic one who withheld the patients' bad potassium levels until attending rounds in the cardiac care unit when I was an intern, but I have disliked far more physicians.

Around here, everyone's an amateur lawyer. We go around saying stuff like "dispositive" and "tabula in naufragio" in daily conversation.
Old 11-26-19, 10:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
To be honest, I have met a few bad ones too, like the sadistic one who withheld the patients' bad potassium levels until attending rounds in the cardiac care unit when I was an intern, but I have disliked far more physicians.

Around here, everyone's an amateur lawyer. We go around saying stuff like "dispositive" and "tabula in naufragio" in daily conversation.
I've always liked "eggshell skull" because it sounds weirdly medical.
Old 11-26-19, 12:17 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts

I find some of the pretend lawyers apportioning fault in the A&S forum pretty funny.
"The motorist should be charged with premediated murder!" is one of my favorites.
Old 11-26-19, 01:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by indyfabz
"The motorist should be charged with premediated murder!" is one of my favorites.

There's some "it's the bicyclist's fault" all the time people as well. I think we could both predict a few poster's position on who's at fault in any crash without knowing any of the facts.

There's also a couple who just bend over backwards to blame the woman, whether she's driving, riding or walking.
Old 11-26-19, 04:49 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Ever see the Twitter account ,"Bad Legal Takes?" I understand about a third of it, but it's clear people have very wrong ideas about the law.
Old 11-26-19, 05:18 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I lot of long distance cyclists I know use ENDUROLYTES
80mg Sodium (as Sodium Chloride)
120mg Chloride (as Sodium Chloride)
100mg Calcium (as Chelate)
50mg Magnesium (as Chelate)
50mg Potassium (as Chelate)
0.5mg Manganese (as Chelate)
Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to mix up something similar for a lot less than 40¢ a dose. I prefer Fritos or a pickle.
Old 11-26-19, 05:32 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Sekanjabin: Dissolve 4 cups sugar in 2 1/2 cups of water; when it comes to a boil add 1 cup wine vinegar. Simmer 1/2 hour. Add a handful of mint, remove from fire, let cool. Dilute the resulting syrup to taste with ice water (5 to 10 parts water to 1 part syrup). The syrup stores without refrigeration.
There ya go - Medieval Gatorade. There are other, more precise recipes, but you get the idea. Vinegar for the electrolytes, mint for taste. I've also made it with honey, I think.
Old 11-26-19, 05:49 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Chinghis

There ya go - Medieval Gatorade. There are other, more precise recipes, but you get the idea. Vinegar for the electrolytes, mint for taste. I've also made it with honey, I think.
Vinegar may have a trace amounts of minerals, but it is not a source of electrolytes,

Last edited by MoAlpha; 11-26-19 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-27-19, 06:29 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
It is a weak electrolyte. Works for me.
Old 11-27-19, 07:48 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Vinegar may have a trace amounts of minerals, but it is not a source of electrolytes,
Not the main biologically useful ones. Works in a battery though.

What the recipe is missing is the sodium and potassium.

Of course in actual medieval times they'd probably have made a weak ale.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 11-28-19, 01:13 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Gatorade also has some flavoring.
Gatorade has LOADS of sugar.
"One 20-ounce Gatorade contains a whopping 34 grams of sugar, 36 grams of carbohydrates and almost 150 calories. "

People are addicted to their sugar though.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
A canister of Gatorade powder btw equates to about a cost of $.20/bike bottle.. nowhere near $1.
Maybe it isn't about money?
Old 11-28-19, 01:15 AM
Metieval

Originally Posted by noglider
@Miele Man, where do I get potassium?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

or from Swansons, or vitamin shoppe, or Lucky vitamin, or your local healthfood store.
Old 11-28-19, 08:45 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
"One 20-ounce Gatorade contains a whopping 34 grams of sugar, 36 grams of carbohydrates and almost 150 calories. "

People are addicted to their sugar though.

Maybe it isn't about money?
If you use the powder, nothing forces you use full strength recipe. Further up in this thread you'll find mine. As a recipe starter, I don't see anything wrong with using gatorade as one ingredient.

I never said it was about the money; simply disputing the claim that gatorade costs $1 a bottle.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 11-28-19, 09:20 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
You say that like it's a bad thing...

For something to quaff on an ordinary sedentary day, of course, it is.

But of the for intended purpose, the sugar is actually vital - you don't fully absorb electrolytes without it. Gatorade is not (and is not represented to be) the same formula as oral rehydration salts, but the ideas are not unrelated. Gatorade is relatively low on electrolytes compared to the sugar, so I spike it with a nuun tablet or other sources. But as it's its likely going to stay down in those behind-the-curve circumstances where just water would make you hurl.

And the in the cycling context when people are shooting gels and gobbling other carbs, that sugar fits right in.

I wouldn't bother on a shorter or off season ride though. If I'm out all day in summer, my typical progression is water, water with nuun, gatorade with nuun, water with nuun, just water as the sun comes up and then goes back down. Early or late in the season when not sweating as much that typically doesn't get beyond the first or second step,

Last edited by UniChris; 11-28-19 at 09:25 PM.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 11-28-19, 10:17 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by UniChris
You say that like it's a bad thing...
In the context of replies, I was replying to the context of flavoring. It was no longer about hydration at that point.

Context! more beneficial that ingesting processed and refined sugars.
Old 11-30-19, 07:55 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis
I'll just leave these right here:

Likes For Clipped_in:
Old 11-30-19, 01:35 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Hard working body needs calories...Some of my homemade drinks which I bring on my rides have over 400 calories per serving. My homemade energy bars have about 450 calories per serving...I can easily ingest over 1000 calories on a 4-5 hour ride.
Old 11-30-19, 01:54 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
sure, the Standard American Diet is what keeps us alive and healthy.
Huh? No it doesn't keep us healthy.
Old 11-30-19, 03:01 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Senrab62
Huh? No it doesn't keep us healthy.
I should have included sarcasm marks...

I responded to someone claiming food alon gives us all the minerals we need. That is technically true if we consume naturally grown food that was't bread for other properties (i.e. sweet taste, stickiness for backing etc.). that also assumes we drink natural water with more minerals. Most of today's food is altered for other properties and not for nutrients. For example a modern tomato is sweet, wild tomatoes are not. And the soils get poorer and poorer due to extremely high yields of mono-cultures. Also people drink unnatural water (filtered, often distilled) with way fewer minerals than our ancestors had. (i realize drinking today's surface water untreated wouldn't be healthy either). So our modern diet isn't necessarily great for minerals. And that is before we talk about fastfood and cookies.
Old 11-30-19, 03:19 PM
wolfchild
Banned

For the forty thousandth time, different people have varying digestive tolerances during exercise. What you do could be a complete disaster for someone else. I deliberately don't recommend doing what I do on very long rides because it would probably make most people sick. I frequently stop for a pretty big meal halfway into a 140 mile ride. It works very well for me. I'm sure there are people who probably should just focus on carb intake because anything else is likely to make them feel really bad.
I am the same way. I have eaten cheeseburgers, pizza, milkshakes and all kinds of other heavy stuff on my longer rides and never had a problem with my digestion. I function best on "calorie dense real foods"....Energy gels, Gatorade , supplements and other forms of pure sugar just doesn't work for me and I get no energy from eating any of that crap. I need real food which has fats, protein and carbs and then I am all good. I prefer to bring my homemade stuff on my rides but sometimes I will stop and buy something along the way...I don't recommend that other people follow my style of eating, most people would have a gut explosion if they tried eating what I eat.
Old 11-30-19, 03:26 PM
wolfchild
Banned

I responded to someone claiming food alon gives us all the minerals we need. That is technically true if we consume naturally grown food that was't bread for other properties (i.e. sweet taste, stickiness for backing etc.). that also assumes we drink natural water with more minerals. Most of today's food is altered for other properties and not for nutrients.
Food alone is enough to give your body all the nutrients it needs, there is no need for any supplements...and no it doesn't have to be naturally grown and organic. Regular food purchased fresh at your local grocery store and prepared at home is all that your body needs. There is also no need to eat a perfectly balanced diet every single day, human body is a lot smarter than that.
Old 11-30-19, 03:40 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Food alone is enough to give your body all the nutrients it needs, there is no need for any supplements...and no it doesn't have to be naturally grown and organic. Regular food purchased fresh at your local grocery store and prepared at home is all that your body needs. There is also no need to eat a perfectly balanced diet every single day, human body is a lot smarter than that.
you don't use salt (sodium) and none is added in the food you eat? That must mean you only eat unprocessed food.

i eat mainly unprocessed food (well, i cut and cook food, which is processing too). i don't know if i really need it, but my supplements I add in tiny amounts are lite-salt (sodium/potassium), magnesium and kelp (for iodide). i just mix it in some regular food I make.
Old 11-30-19, 06:18 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I should have included sarcasm marks...

I responded to someone claiming food alon gives us all the minerals we need. That is technically true if we consume naturally grown food that was't bread for other properties (i.e. sweet taste, stickiness for backing etc.). that also assumes we drink natural water with more minerals. Most of today's food is altered for other properties and not for nutrients. For example a modern tomato is sweet, wild tomatoes are not. And the soils get poorer and poorer due to extremely high yields of mono-cultures. Also people drink unnatural water (filtered, often distilled) with way fewer minerals than our ancestors had. (i realize drinking today's surface water untreated wouldn't be healthy either). So our modern diet isn't necessarily great for minerals. And that is before we talk about fastfood and cookies.
you don't use salt (sodium) and none is added in the food you eat? That must mean you only eat unprocessed food.

i eat mainly unprocessed food (well, i cut and cook food, which is processing too). i don't know if i really need it, but my supplements I add in tiny amounts are lite-salt (sodium/potassium), magnesium and kelp (for iodide). i just mix it in some regular food I make.

None of this assertion has any basis in fact. If you feel like this stuff works for you, fine. But when you assert other people need to, I call bs.
Old 11-30-19, 07:49 PM
HerrKaLeun

None of this assertion has any basis in fact. If you feel like this stuff works for you, fine. But when you assert other people need to, I call bs.
There is a chance the supplements are not needed. Especially since I eat vegetables, and liver etc. But since all the food I eat comes without salt, I feel at least salt is needed. Even animals in nature crave salt...

At least I buy the supplements the cheapest way and not in magic bottles.
Old 11-30-19, 07:51 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

or from Swansons, or vitamin shoppe, or Lucky vitamin, or your local healthfood store.
the one linked is simply salt tablets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.