Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Prevailing wind directions Europe

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-06, 03:35 PM
donki

Bikes: roy swinnerton (1960's), raleigh venture gt touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been able to find internet sites detailing rainfall, temperature etc in various countries at different times of year but does anyone know of a site that gives details of prevailing wind directions (in Europe)?
Of course wind directions change but it could be worth thinking about while planning a tour? Or not?
Old 12-08-06, 06:15 PM
marmotte

Bikes: Canyon Alu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
donki,
this is like in the UK: westwind zone from Island to Malta all over Europa. But - since you're from UK - I think you are used to some hard windy weather. A little european breath will not prevent you from going ahead. And if you're fast enough: the wind always comes from the front.
marmotte
Old 12-08-06, 10:01 PM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I have never given a thought to the wind direction when planning tours. Some of my tours have been big loops, so at some point I have dealt with wind coming from every direction. So far, my Point A to B tours were based on where I want to be at the end the tour... sometimes I save the best for last.

On my "best" tours I have meandered here and there, having a general plan but going where fancy strikes. If I were on such a tour and the wind became a impediment, I would go somewhere else, choose a different route, or stop and wait for the wind to die down.

The only time I remember the wind being a factor was on a big old rented clunker in Holland. The wind was so strong I could barely move forward. That was the last time I rented a bike on a tour. Since that time I have brought my own wheels, with bail out gears and drop handlebars to get me through windy conditions and up steep hills.
Old 12-09-06, 12:53 AM
Sebach

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I generally wouldn't spend a whole lot of time thinking about the wind. Focus instead on what you want to start/end on your tour. If you will be spending doing a relatively linear tour across flat plains, then maybe going with the general wind direction wouldn't be a bad thing. Of course, that's no guarentee either... *twitch*

Someone was gonna say it eventually: no matter what you do, it'll seem like wind will always be in your face anyway.
Old 12-09-06, 04:09 AM
becnal
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in Europe, wind blows west from east. Call me a sissy if you like, but I prefer to take that info into account when planning a tour.
Old 12-09-06, 01:09 PM
jens5

Bikes: Heron Wayfarer/ 2004 Giant Cypress SX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prevailing Winds

I spent weeks fighting head winds in Europe because I did not check prevailing winds. I started in Luxembourg the end of May, across the Moselle into Germany. Austria. Trained across the Dolomites. Rode East to West across Italy.(Vicious headwind the entire way) France, Belgium and the circumference of Holland then back to Luxembourg. I'd estimate 1week out of 6 that I had the wind in my favor. It was silly of me not checking weather, which includes wind for time of year before the tour.

Richard
Old 12-12-06, 04:54 PM
gizem310
Mutt Owner

Bikes: Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jens5
I spent weeks fighting head winds in Europe because I did not check prevailing winds. I started in Luxembourg the end of May, across the Moselle into Germany. Austria. Trained across the Dolomites. Rode East to West across Italy.(Vicious headwind the entire way) France, Belgium and the circumference of Holland then back to Luxembourg. I'd estimate 1week out of 6 that I had the wind in my favor. It was silly of me not checking weather, which includes wind for time of year before the tour.

Richard
The question is, what would you have done differently if you knew the wind direction?
Old 12-14-06, 04:34 AM
Flic

Bikes: Edward

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did you end up finding a site that told you the prevailing winds?
Old 12-14-06, 10:21 AM
xilios

Bikes: Gazelle Playa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out this site, just type in the dates you would like to see the history off.
https://www.knmi.nl/klimatologie/daggegevens/index.cgi
hope it helps some
Old 12-14-06, 07:09 PM
donki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flic, no I didn't in the form I would have liked i.e. a map with arrows showing the direction and magnitude of the prevailing wind. I reckon it would be quite useful when planning a tour.
Old 12-19-06, 09:05 PM
stokell

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by donki
Flic, no I didn't in the form I would have liked i.e. a map with arrows showing the direction and magnitude of the prevailing wind. I reckon it would be quite useful when planning a tour.
Such as this

There is an animated one.
Old 12-20-06, 12:36 PM
donki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many thanks stokell,
All I need now is prevailing wind directions in each month and for Europe.
Old 12-20-06, 01:25 PM
stokell

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I actually do a log. This requires a bit of planning, but BBC weather has accurate weather for much of the world. I find the relative humidity almost as important as wind speed and direction. If when the wind blows out of the north, it blows really hard you might want to avoid going directly north although the prevailing wind might be out of the west at a much lower speed.

For instance, I'm doing the North Sea Route this year between Bologne sur Mer, France and Den Helder, Netherlands. I've been logging wind speed and direction as well as temp and humidity. Not only did I find that April and May have more sunshine than June and July, they have the same amount of rain. April is off season so that means fewer tourists and cheaper prices. I was trying to decide which direction to travel and I discovered that the wind is out of the north and west much more often and when there is a south or easterly wind, it is not as strong. The obvious answer is to start in Den Helder.

When I first started, I would never bother doing this kind of research. I was afterall usually doing a circular route and I figured, I'd have my face into the wind at least half the time anyway. Then I realized that wind patterns are often set by geography. It rains in the lea of mountains, coastlines are windier. IMO it's wise to do weather logs even if you always travel in circles.
Old 12-20-06, 02:45 PM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I searched quite a bit for Europe and some individual countries and concluded you need some Canucks to help with weather stats. It's a national sport here, before hockey.
Averages in Canada: https://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec....index_e.html?&

A list to national weather services: https://www.windlords.com/weather/national.htm
Most are a pain to navigate through.

Ireland
Scotland
England
Wales

I may be wrong but I don't think the prevailing winds in Europe prevail as much as in Canada. At least not over long distances. Here we have two large mountain ranges, huge prairies, one large inland body of water and a large corridor stretching from the american southwest to the northest St-Lawrence. Europe is broken up in smaller pieces, where local patterns might me more important. Even in the more compact USA, the prevailing winds are not as clear-cut as in Canada. That's just my theory.
Old 12-21-06, 12:14 PM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
My understanding -- and I have no expert knowledge of the subject -- is that the prevailing winds at ground level are strongly affected by local geographical features such as body of waters (lakes, oceans, etc.), hills, mountains, and forests. For example, if there is a strong wind blowing from north to south, and you are heading north up a hillside, you may not even notice the wind because you are sheltered by the hill. While riding along the shore of a lake, the wind
off the surface of the water may be more noticeable than the prevailing wind that you may experience inland.

In short, the direction of the prevailing wind may be less important than the influences of local geography.
Old 09-22-19, 07:24 PM
EuropeonaFriday

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by becnal
Here in Europe, wind blows west from east. Call me a sissy if you like, but I prefer to take that info into account when planning a tour.
You are not a sissy! I have a background in Geography and Science and always try to take dominant wind direction into account. A coupe of years ago we rode up the Loire River from St Nazaire to Never. Over the time we rode we only had a head wind for a day. Tourers coming in the opposite direction, that is east to west were suffering from wind burn!
Likes For EuropeonaFriday:
Old 09-22-19, 09:33 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Try this site. It can give information on specific areas Average Weather
Old 09-23-19, 02:41 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Aren't you using Windy yet?

https://www.windy.com/

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...611-windy.html

Last edited by Machka; 09-23-19 at 02:47 AM.
Old 09-23-19, 05:27 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
For comprehensive climate averages for most of the world, check out WeatherSpark.com. Tailwinds, John
Old 09-23-19, 07:00 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
I ride along the coast quite often in the Netherlands and its always a crapshoot if I have a headwind going North or if it even stays the same on the way down South or the other way around. Especially along the coast it can (and probably will) differ depending on the time of day.
Old 09-23-19, 07:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by EuropeonaFriday
You are not a sissy!
IDK...Nearly 13 years have passed since he made that proclamation. Things can change in that amount of time.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-23-19, 06:03 PM
2zweelabout

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Windy.com is indeed helpful knowing what may be blowing your way. Even watching local or worldwide thunderstorms, etc. on the site is enjoyable......
Old 12-06-19, 11:43 AM
becnal
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
IDK...Nearly 13 years have passed since he made that proclamation. Things can change in that amount of time.
I can absolutely confirm I have indeed become a sissy in the meantime.
Old 12-06-19, 08:49 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Google for prevailing winds at the location of interest.

In the Netherlands wind comes FROM West in February. So if you ride TOWARDS West along the coast for 4 days, you are slow and get a workout. Ask me how I know....
Old 12-06-19, 10:01 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2736 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by becnal
I can absolutely confirm I have indeed become a sissy in the meantime.
That really made me chuckle
13 years later, that's funny.
Likes For djb: