Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Hiding the stuff that happens

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Hiding the stuff that happens

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-19, 03:14 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
If I pull a really bonehead move and am ashamed to admit how stupid I was, I probably won't mention it to anyone, either my wife or you guys. But of course that has never happened. Never, as in not ever. Don't look at me like that.

Other than that, I don't really have a policy about what I tell and what I don't. It's mostly a matter of what comes up in conversation, and what I remember.
Nope, me neither. I've never, ever lost focus at the wrong moment and incurred the righteous wrath of some poor schlub who was just trying to get to work. It's never happened, and I've never told my husband, because there was nothing to tell.
Old 12-07-19, 04:24 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
My wife has bailed me out of the hospital after a couple of roadside engagements. I've pointed out miscues when I'm driving. From her reaction, it's just easier not to make a big deal about it.
Old 12-08-19, 01:00 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I’ve had a lot of incidents just in the last two weeks. Feels like one per ride. Considering I go through only five intersections it’s a lot, out of the ordinary. I wouldn’t call them close calls, more like failed communications. One of them had me yelling pay attention... another, we both committed equal sins and just kind of shared a sheepish look. I haven’t told my wife about any of them. I feel like she already imagines worse than I really get.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-08-19, 07:36 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Hiding the stuff that happens"

....One time recently, I did bring up my accident, with regrets. My wife and I were meeting with our lawyer (not unpleasantly) and at the end of the meeting we got talking about bicycling.

When I mentioned I cycle-commute, it turned out the lawyer's husband does too and she expressed her concerns. When I somehow mentioned the accident, I realized that was the wrong thing to do. There was no reason to bring it up in this social context, and it was not as an admonition to be careful out there.
Originally Posted by rseeker
That sounds worth hearing more about. What did the lawyer say? How did the conversation go from there?

Also, I agree with what you said above, that we all learn from each other talking about our near-misses and close calls, and unfortunately the actual hits.

I get a lot out of it, anyway. Maybe it's just morbid fascination.
Thanks for your reply, @rseeker. That conversation happened at the end of a legal meeting, and we soon left on an amicable note. I just hope that I did not get the husband in trouble about his commuting, and I can’t say for sure if the lawyer-wife was perturbed enough to make an issue about it.

At that time of that conversation I did think of an alternate comment I should have made, namely that he cycle commutes through the towns of Arlington and Cambridge which are remarkably bike-friendly, and even adjoining Boston has some nice bikepaths and bikelanes (link). My accident happened on the road in an outer suburb.

Although I’m a cycle-commuting enthusiast on Bike Forums, in general I’m circumspect about bike commuting in casual conversation, other than about the weather and the neighborhoods I traverse.
...always a source of amusement and conversation with my friends and acquaintances; e.g. in bad weather, “You didn’t ride your bike today, did you?,” or at fancy social events, “Did you ride your bike here?.” Always asked with amusement and respect.

I in turn often ask people where they live, because invariably I have ridden in their neighborhood, and that question usually sparks an engaging converstion.
Frankly, I have posted that I would not be inclined to encourage, unless by example (nor discourage) someone to cycle-commute, but if they so chose, I would freely and gladly give any advice...

Public exhortations to cycle-commute, or utility cycle are well and good with no individual responsibility for bad outcomes, but I would not want the recriminations of a personal endorsement if something bad happened...

FWW, I’m not advocatin’ against, just sayin’
On Bike Forums, we frequently and candidly post about our close calls and actual mishaps, not just to “one-up” each other but most considerately to advise.

I have previously posted about discussing the dangers of cycling with non-cyclists or casual cyclists concerned with my or their own safety...:

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-08-19 at 08:16 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston: