Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Do you bike like you drive?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 01-10-19, 08:14 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 50 Posts

This article at Cycling Today (Cyclists don't break traffic laws any more than drivers, says new study | Cycling Today) says that bike riders break traffic less than car drivers. This isn’t true for me. Is it true for you?

I definitely blow through stop signs if I see there are no other vehicles around. I would never do this in a car. Would you?

I stop at all red lights and all stop signs if others are visible when I ride. I stop at both when I drive.
Old 01-10-19, 08:43 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I behave differently riding a bike compared to driving a car, because my car weighs 3,300lbs and my bike weighs about 20lbs. I roll intersections and jump traffic lights all the time on the bike. Never in a car.

Meanwhile, this morning I watched a low-boy semi carrying a massive roll of sheet metal blow through 3 yellows and 2 reds in the span of a mile and a half.
Old 01-10-19, 09:31 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Idaho rules when on the bike is typical, when alone. That last part is important. It's about responsibility to others. It's why when driving I don't do what I might do on a bike. Andy
Old 01-10-19, 09:33 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo
I definitely blow through stop signs if I see there are no other vehicles around. I would never do this in a car. Would you?

I stop at all red lights and all stop signs if others are visible when I ride. I stop at both when I drive.
The example I like to give: do you come to a complete stop before the white line when turning left on a blinking red, even uf there is no oncoming traffic? I don't, almost no one I have driven around does, yet that indeed is blowing a red light.

I wouldn't say that I perform the exact same maneuvers in a bike as a car, but as far as the level of risk taking, they're both on par for me. I don't "blow" through stop signs, but I do regularly roll through them on both vehicles. There may be less braking involved, but the speed differential is the reason for that. I don't barrel out into an intersection with my head down at full power on a bike either.
Old 01-10-19, 10:17 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
This article at Cycling Today (Cyclists don't break traffic laws any more than drivers, says new study | Cycling Today) says that bike riders break traffic less than car drivers. This isn’t true for me. Is it true for you?

My most common traffic violation when driving an automobile is speeding. There's not too much risk of me doing that on a bike. There are a few hills where I can descend a few MPH over the limit, but mostly the speed limit exceeds my ability to pedal.

On a bike and on a car I stop at stop signs and red lights. The only time I blow a red light on my bike is when the sensors are incapable of detecting me and I'm alone at the intersection, and have been for some time. And I think in some jurisdictions it is ok to do that if the sensor is not functioning properly (which is to say, not detecting a cyclist sitting right on top of it). On the other hand, if I were sitting in my car at a red light, alone for several minutes and it becomes obvious that the sensor isn't detecting me, I'm going to proceed too.

So with respect to speed, no, I do not bike the way I drive. With respect to traffic laws, I try to be the cyclist who doesn't give the rest of us a bad name; I am at least as conscious of following the law on bike as I am in the car.
Old 01-10-19, 10:37 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I’m in the group who will roll a stop sign or red on my bike if I can clearly see that there’s no traffic. I’m not the jackass who does when there is traffic. I would never do it either way in a car. I’m not a big speeder in the car, maybe 5mph over sometimes, but not as a general rule. I’d say I do break the law more on bike. Maybe I shouldn’t. I feel it’s less of a safety issue on a bike, though. I’m going slower, and I’m not going to hurt anyone other than myself if my judgement is wrong.
Old 01-10-19, 10:51 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
My cycling behavior is consistant with what you would expect from a law abiding group ride. I always stop at stop signs if there is a car around. My riding group finds stopping at stop signs irritating.

My driving habits are consistant with what you would expect of a commercial driver with combination, double-triple, tanker, and haz-mat endorsements. I signal EVERYTHING, make confident decisions, & anticipate other drivers actions. Other drivers find "only" 5 over and stopping at stop signs irritating.

I think there is little difference, & good cycling habits improve driver awareness/attentiveness habits. What the driver does with the extra attention...that remains to be seen.

Anecdotally: I have noticed that cars with bike racks tend to pass more slowly & not nearly as close as those with out.

Last edited by base2; 01-10-19 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-10-19, 11:21 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
I do not have the strength or stamina to ride like I drive. But, full stops, only if there is traffic. On my bike I rarely go over the speed limit
Old 01-10-19, 11:21 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I'm not going to kill anyone with my bike.
Big difference.
When I blow lights or stop signs it usually at 11 pm after 4 beers.
I can't hear people that yell at me. I've got headphones in my ears.
Old 01-11-19, 03:17 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
I don't bike locally like I tour internationally.
Wouldn't this thread be better off in 'General cycling discussion'?
Old 01-11-19, 03:35 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts

I wouldn't do that if I were driving a motor vehicle OR if I were on bicycle.

I even slow down at intersections without stop signs.

And I agree that this doesn't belong in Touring.
Old 01-11-19, 06:41 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by boomhauer
Big difference.
When I blow lights or stop signs it usually at 11 pm after 4 beers.
I can't hear people that yell at me. I've got headphones in my ears.
That's why you keep the lights off so they don't see you
Old 01-11-19, 06:47 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
Scottsdale, AZ was once considering a weird rule for cyclists, allowing those over a certain age, I think 16, to ride through a stop sign if no traffic is present.

I think I'm as safe a cyclist as I am a driver, but I operate each differently in traffic. The risks are different. In a few cases, the rules and facilities are different. Like being able to pass stopped traffic on the right, or taking a "bike box" in front of stopped traffic.

I also like to think if I mess up on a bike, I'm the only one at risk, but that's not really true. Besides the mental anguish of the faultless motorist, there's the real risk of harming another cyclist or pedestrian. A couple of years ago, a cyclist killed a pedestrian in San Francisco. I cycle through a college campus almost daily, and I need to watch for clueless texting salmon as much as I do motorists. Motorists tend to be paragons of patience in that area, incredibly. Nobody wants to harm a kid.
Old 01-11-19, 06:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by boomhauer
People have been killed by cyclists. A few years ago in Philly a man was struck and knocked down while crossing the street legally. Hit his head, slipped into a coma and later died. The cyclist got up, straightened his bars and rode off. He has never been identified despite a large reward being offered by the victim's employer. Then there was the case a few years ago in CA where a guy trying to set some sort of record on Strava blew a light, hit a senior citizen and killed her. He later posted on line about what he had done and his commitment to setting the record. In 2014 a jogger in Central Park was hit and killed by a cyclist. No laws were broken there, but it's another example of how bikes can injure/kill pedestrians.

BTW...IBTM to A&S, where there is already a thread about this.
Old 01-11-19, 07:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Scottsdale, AZ was once considering a weird rule for cyclists, allowing those over a certain age, I think 16, to ride through a stop sign if no traffic is present.
Nothing weird about that. It's called the Idaho Stop Law. In Idaho, a cyclist can treat a stop sign as a yield sign. Red lights can be treated as stop signs. Makes complete sense as it, among other things, enables the cyclists to keep ahead of traffic. I wish that were legally in my home town of Philly, with its narrow streets. It's how the overwhelming majority of riders behave anyway. The problem is that there are too many people who don't yield or stop. The "get out of my way" crowd.
Old 01-11-19, 07:16 AM
redbagsrambler

Bikes: Trek 520, Bianchi Volpe and too many more to name

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Always. It's my duty as a responsible user of our roadways. I do everything as expected as a part of traffic because I believe it is in my best interest to not behave in a manner which is contrary to traffic law or which puts me in a position where motorists are not trained to look for me or other traffic. I asked a police officer about what to do at traffic signals which did not detect my presence and he said, "....treat it as a nonfunctioning signal. Check for traffic, then proceed." That is what I do but only if there is no other traffic to activate the signal.

I have been riding this way for decades whether I am touring, on a daily commute, running an errand or even on a group ride. What is interesting to me is that my cycling friends who are most inclined to violate traffic norms are the same ones who have the most stories of harassment by motorists.
Old 01-11-19, 08:40 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I don’t drive a car on bike paths, sidewalks and across pedestrian/bike bridges, so no.
Old 01-11-19, 10:38 AM
Sharpshin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I drive a car like a ride a motorcycle, which were my main means of transportation into my 40's.

I ride a bike like I'm some idiot on a bicycle sharing a roadway with actual vehicles travelling at or above legal highway speeds. If I ever get hit its ALWAYS gonna be my fault, I do not care what the law says.

I do run vacant stop signs all the time, but never a red light without stopping first.
Old 01-11-19, 11:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I was at the helm of a nuclear missile sub , back in the 60's , before I had a driver's license on land..
Old 01-11-19, 12:27 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I was at the helm of a nuclear missile sub , back in the 60's , before I had a driver's license on land..
So you ride your bike like you drove a submarine? I'd like to see that!

That being said, I've always thought it'd be cool to ride a 1930's Torpedo.
Old 01-11-19, 01:28 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 171 Posts
On a bike:
- I will sometimes use a "stop as yield", particularly if no other vehicles are at the intersection or I am making a left turn.
- I don't run red lights, but will proceed if it looks like the detector hasn't picked up my bike
- On extremely busy roads, I will sometimes make a left turn by proceeding straight across, lining up with traffic and then riding the second road - this as opposed to merging left potentially crossing high-speed traffic. I will also sometimes use the pedestrian lights

On a car:
- I will sometimes speed slightly over the speed limit - but typically not faster than prevailing traffic
- I might occasionally go through a stop slowing way down, but not reaching 100% stop, particularly if no other vehicles are at the intersection

While touring:
- I may occasionally resort to being a pedestrian to cross unfamiliar areas - go on one-way streets
- I'll do less "stop as yield" than when in familiar areas
Old 01-11-19, 02:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I suppose to be similar I'd bring the Ensign or Lt along to keep me on course and depth...
Old 01-11-19, 04:35 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
Fundamentally you could say I follow the same general principles on the bike and in the cage. Safety first. I will violate laws if in my opinion I can do it safely and the risk of being ticketed is low. I also tend to work cooperatively with other road users. If my bicycle had a horn I'd honk at distracted drivers on it just as I do in the car.
Old 01-12-19, 12:05 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
I drive like I ride!
The first job I had after getting my license was as a taxi driver doing 12 hour shifts. I sort of flow from point A to point B in a pragmatic rather than principled sort of way and while I am definitely not aggressive, I will take the advantage if the other driver is hesitant. Signals and stop signs are on a need to know basis
Old 01-12-19, 01:44 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I hope not...I quit driving December 26, 2006. Rode to DMV the day after Christmas, turned the license in and had my parents sell the Pontiac. It was gone in February 2007.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.