Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anyone commuting on Gravelking SK tires?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-19, 08:42 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts

I may have just ordered a set from my lbs.

I have until Monday to cancel the order. I am expecting them to be super capable off-road but just making sure they’re not boat anchors on road!

The “Sk” is the knurlier end of Panaracer’s Gravelking franchise. I usually don’t let this happen but I let the guy talk me into these. Sometimes you gotta shut up and listen to the pros.
Old 11-04-19, 08:44 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Many people are happy with them. They are not quite as fast as slicks, but should be a great commuting tire. The only real complaint is that they tend to throw up small pebbles - the kind that are often on MUP trails - so I wont' ride behind anyone with them. Some people might see that as an advantage. ;-)
Old 11-04-19, 10:05 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
I do. I love them. I switched from Marathons.
Old 11-04-19, 11:22 AM
robyr
Car-free in the South

Bikes: Surly Pack Rat, Novara Trionfo retro-mod

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They are great tires, and bombproof when set up tubeless. I've run both the slicks and the SKs and the SKs didn't all that slow on the road. You will wear them down faster, however.
Old 11-04-19, 11:40 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I think they're a good all-round tires. As mentioned, not as fast as slick tires, but they're medium/light and medium fast for their size.
Old 11-04-19, 12:17 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by chas58
Many people are happy with them. They are not quite as fast as slicks, but should be a great commuting tire. The only real complaint is that they tend to throw up small pebbles - the kind that are often on MUP trails - so I wont' ride behind anyone with them. Some people might see that as an advantage. ;-)
I am running fenders so I think this downside is mitigated!

Thanks for the feedback, I don't race so giving up a touch of speed is ok with me if it means not having to have an extra wheelset built up for gravel and offroad (which happens on my impromptu night rides with my kids all the time!)
Old 11-04-19, 12:18 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by robyr
They are great tires, and bombproof when set up tubeless. I've run both the slicks and the SKs and the SKs didn't all that slow on the road. You will wear them down faster, however.
Thanks! Tubeless is a stretch goal and factored in to my decision! Running tubes for the immediate future until I recover from the PTSD from flatting a tubular on my commute #backtobasics
Old 11-04-19, 12:20 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by tyrion
I think they're a good all-round tires. As mentioned, not as fast as slick tires, but they're medium/light and medium fast for their size.
Awesome to hear! I ordered a 43 for the rear and a 38 for the front, although if the 43 fits on the front I will run 43s in both positions.

I am not obsessed with speed but, as I mentioned in my previous quote, I am obsessed with versatility! one day can take me over paved MUPs, dirt roads, trails, grass, single track, it all depends on what mood my kids are in when I get off work! They have beach cruisers and BMX bikes they ride EVERYWHERE!
Old 11-05-19, 11:19 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
Awesome to hear! I ordered a 43 for the rear and a 38 for the front, although if the 43 fits on the front I will run 43s in both positions.
I tend to run 38 rear 43 front, because that is what fits. I like having the extra traction and cushion in the front when going off road - and a little extra efficiency in the rear. (there is no right answer - either way works).

Thanks! Tubeless is a stretch goal and factored in to my decision! Running tubes for the immediate future until I recover from the PTSD from flatting a tubular on my commute #backtobasics
No hurry. I used to get pinch flats (using small tires on a rough commute) and occasional tread puncture. For years now I have been commuting tubeless, and have had no issues. Pinch flats are unknown. I check my tire for wet spots to see if I have a puncture, remove the debris, but they seal themselves. My repair bag has just been unused dead weight. Keep tubless on your radar if you have the tires/wheels.

Originally Posted by robyr
You are the first person I have ever heard that say the slicks last longer. The slicks are light and fast, but do not have a reputation for being bulletproof or long lasting.
Old 11-06-19, 12:19 PM
robyr
Car-free in the South

Bikes: Surly Pack Rat, Novara Trionfo retro-mod

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chas58
You are the first person I have ever heard that say the slicks last longer. The slicks are light and fast, but do not have a reputation for being bulletproof or long lasting.
Sorry to be vague, I didn't mean that the slicks last longer than the SKs, but that if you use the SKs on the road primarily that you will wear down the knobs pretty quickly. The slicks and the SKs lasted just about the same amount of mileage for me. They are definitely strong and unlikely to fail or flat in my experience, not sure where you are hearing about the slicks' reputation. They are tanks compared to my Rene Herse slicks.
Old 11-07-19, 07:32 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts

I am not obsessed with speed but, as I mentioned in my previous quote, I am obsessed with versatility! one day can take me over paved MUPs, dirt roads, trails, grass, single track, it all depends on what mood my kids are in when I get off work! They have beach cruisers and BMX bikes they ride EVERYWHERE!
I think you'll like them. I put them on my hybrid bike (43s) about 1,500 miles back and have been very pleased. They are comfortable on all surfaces and seem to be wearing very well. They do make a bit of a hum on very smooth roads but much of this has abated with wear (which is slight). The tread does through up small stuff, as others have mentioned. When it hits the downtube it makes a pinging noise that bugged the heck out of me until I figured out what it was. It's not significant enough to worry about paint damage, etc.
Old 11-11-19, 04:36 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

UPDATE - thanks all! Got them mounted up this weekend, the shop special ordered a 38 for me but I was able to get the 43 to work up front so they were cool about trading me out for another 43 so I have the bigger size in both positions which is cool, the 43s also have 2 more tread block rows which is also cool.

I did have to make some "customizations" to my fenders but was able to keep them, thank goodness because the amount of small sand and gravel they kick up is for real, makes me wonder, were my previous tires even trying? LOL LOL
Old 11-12-19, 08:06 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
Let's see a picture of the bike now.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-12-19, 12:47 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by noglider
Here it is with bar mitts/headlights for winter commuting plus the new Panaracer Gravelking SK's (700x43c)

Likes For davei1980:
Old 11-12-19, 12:48 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by noglider
Done. So far so good except it feels higher geared now that before (because it is...)