Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Weighted vest and hill training?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-13, 11:26 AM
blackvans1234

Bikes: '13 Specialized Secteur Compact

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just wondering if anyone has considered using (or has used) some sort of weighted vest for hill training.

Has anyone ever heard of this?
Old 07-21-13, 12:10 PM
License2Ill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get in the gym for some real weight training. A weighted vest is just silliness.
Old 07-21-13, 12:24 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Makes no sense. What matters for training is how much power you are putting out. You can put out just as much power on a light bike (no weighted vest) as a heavy one (weighted vest). You just go slower with the latter.

If you want to make climbing hills harder, simply maintain your cadence in a higher (harder) gear.
Old 07-21-13, 01:25 PM
aramis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A weighted vest would be stupid. If you want it to be harder, go up the hill faster.

I can imagine it would be annoying having a big heavy vest on you while you ride and it would probably make it harder to produce power.
Old 07-21-13, 04:58 PM
sprince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If a weighted vest is stupid, what about a heavy bike or bigger gear? Seems like just another way to increase resistance.
Old 07-21-13, 05:30 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sprince
If a weighted vest is stupid, what about a heavy bike or bigger gear? Seems like just another way to increase resistance.
You don't get it. What matters is you, not the weight of what you are propelling. Watts are watts. You can train at 500 watts on a light bike just as easily as on a heavy bike, you'll just go faster.
Old 07-21-13, 05:56 PM
License2Ill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding isn't about being resistance training. If you want to train for better strength, you don't do it on a bike.

It's like the guy that once told me he played tennis to stay in shape.

"But what do you do to get in shape for playing tennis?"

"I play tennis."

And around in circles it went. If you understand proper training you understand that a mostly aerobic activity is not something to use to train for strength. It isn't even the first thing you should do to train for better aerobic capacity.

Last edited by License2Ill; 07-21-13 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-21-13, 06:17 PM
sprince

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
You don't get it. What matters is you, not the weight of what you are propelling. Watts are watts. You can train at 500 watts on a light bike just as easily as on a heavy bike, you'll just go faster.
Yeah, I get it. It's completely useless when it comes to training for any effort over 3 minutes. But on the other hand it's no less reasonable than training behind a motor bike, or doing hill climbs on a big gear if you are trying to increase power. The bigger gear would be a less convoluted path to more resistance though.

Last edited by sprince; 07-21-13 at 06:22 PM. Reason: oops, tab submits!
Old 07-21-13, 08:58 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I've been working on loosing my natural weighted vest for a couple of years. I have considered using something like it once I hit my goal weight just to remind myself of where I've been. Other than that, go faster, or climb steeper.
Old 07-21-13, 09:49 PM
JoeMan
Question Authority

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Solo 30, 2007 REI Novara Safari and Cannondale MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would echo others comments about getting into the gym for front and back squats as well as dead lifts to increase your hill climbing prowess.
Old 07-21-13, 10:34 PM
mr_pedro

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
Nope, never heard of it. You could do it if you want to simulate how a certain slope feels like while riding on a less steep a slope. But even then it is not practical, to simulate a slope twice as steep as what you are riding on, you would need to ware a vest weighing roughly the same as you and your bike.

Like others have said, if you want to make it harder for yourself you can just ride harder, I assume you are not spinning out of gears on your hill climbs?
Old 07-22-13, 11:07 AM
njlonghorn

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Where I live, there are lots of hills, and even some steep ones, but none of them last very long. If I turn a bigger gear to increase power output, the hill ends sooner. If I want to make a hill last longer at high wattage, I have to use artificial means to slow myself down.

I have a Camelbak that I bought for longer rides, but I have been experimenting with it for hill training, too. When full, it weighs about 7 pounds, which doesn't make enough of a difference. Last night, I found that I can fit two 10-pound weight plates in the pocket, brining the total weight to 27 pounds. I might also be able to squeeze in a 5-pounder or two.

I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm thinking about it. I would start small and build up from there. My biggest concern is back strain, so I don't want to overdo it.
Old 07-22-13, 11:21 AM
Number400

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, my cycling coach had me in a weighted vest doing hill repeats 1-2 times a week over the winter. It is a small part of training and is done to help build strength ON THE BICYCLE. Worked for me!

Best to find a hill that takes 8-9 minutes to climb and climb it seated over and over for about an hour. It taught me tons about my climbing cadence, HR, positioning, gearing, etc...

You can get a 10-12lb vest at Walmart.
Old 07-22-13, 06:07 PM
sprince

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njlonghorn
Where I live, there are lots of hills, and even some steep ones, but none of them last very long. If I turn a bigger gear to increase power output, the hill ends sooner. If I want to make a hill last longer at high wattage, I have to use artificial means to slow myself down.
That's an interesting idea. I've got plenty of steep hills but nothing longer than 100 vertical feet. Think I'd have to add about 200 pounds to simulate a real climb.
Old 07-22-13, 07:48 PM
blackvans1234

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's an interesting idea. I've got plenty of steep hills but nothing longer than 100 vertical feet. Think I'd have to add about 200 pounds to simulate a real climb.

Don't worry, we can ride together and you can push me up the hill with one arm while you pedal.
Im 196 and my bike is 20
Old 07-24-13, 07:01 PM
sprince

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blackvans1234
Don't worry, we can ride together and you can push me up the hill with one arm while you pedal.
Im 196 and my bike is 20
Funny! Almost as funny as my neighbors watching me inexplicably struggle for hours to climb a little hill just a few hundred yards long with a big puffy vest in 90 degree temps. After careful consideration, I think it's only fair for blackvans1234 to assume the responsibility riding with you for the very first field test of this new, cutting edge training technique.
Old 07-24-13, 10:40 PM
blackvans1234

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny! Almost as funny as my neighbors watching me inexplicably struggle for hours to climb a little hill just a few hundred yards long with a big puffy vest in 90 degree temps. After careful consideration, I think it's only fair for blackvans1234 to assume the responsibility riding with you for the very first field test of this new, cutting edge training technique.

Indeed, ill bring the bon bons and megaphone
Old 07-25-13, 08:04 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
they make weighted vests for a reason, just sayin' ...
Old 08-01-13, 08:13 PM
Nickfrogger

Bikes: 2014 Trek 520, 1990 Trek 2300 Pro, 1999 Trek 2100, 1991 Trek 7900, '83 Trek 610 (on permanent loan)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
they make weighted vests for a reason, just sayin' ...
We have to have something to ridicule!
Old 08-02-13, 07:02 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
If you're climbing a hill and it doesn't seem hard enough to get a good workout, stop, fill your jersey pockets with 1/10 your weight in rocks, and proceed. Either that, or up shift one gear and get about the same effect.
Old 08-02-13, 08:19 AM
mr_pedro

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
If you're climbing a hill and it doesn't seem hard enough to get a good workout, stop, fill your jersey pockets with 1/10 your weight in rocks, and proceed. Either that, or up shift one gear while maintaining the same cadence and get about the same effect.
fify
Old 08-02-13, 09:37 AM
njlonghorn

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
If you're climbing a hill and it doesn't seem hard enough to get a good workout, stop, fill your jersey pockets with 1/10 your weight in rocks, and proceed. Either that, or up shift one gear and get about the same effect.
Without rocks, climb at 6 mph for 1 mile = 10 minutes of intensity.

With rocks, climb at 5 mph for 1 mile = 12 minutes of intensity.
Old 08-02-13, 09:42 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by njlonghorn
Without rocks, climb at 6 mph for 1 mile = 10 minutes of intensity.

With rocks, climb at 5 mph for 1 mile = 12 minutes of intensity.
Or you could forget about the rocks and just increase intensity on the flats before, after or in lieu of the climb.
Old 08-02-13, 06:11 PM
sprince

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think there would be a big difference between 10% body weight and something tangible. A few pounds would be about the same as simply increasing the intensity, but 100 pounds would work the muscles in a way that you could never get from greater intensity.
Old 08-02-13, 06:55 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
I think there would be a big difference between 10% body weight and something tangible. A few pounds would be about the same as simply increasing the intensity, but 100 pounds would work the muscles in a way that you could never get from greater intensity.
You may be correct, however the real question is . . . how does that help what sort of athletic performance and does it help at all? Principle of specificity and all that. I'm curious about that because I've been riding tandem with my wife for several years now and don't get out on my road bike. However, I'm not curious enough to spend all day hammering in the mountains without her to find out. Maybe I'll get a chance to go over to the local 1000' climb and see what I can do on it.

Probably turns out that climbing with a weighted vest makes you better at climbing with a weighted vest. Some extra core and arm strength, some extra weight in protein to support it, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.