Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Going to break down and join a health club this summer.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-14, 02:19 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts

This is our low cycling time of the year, especially if you are still employed, and I am. So because of the heat, basically I can ride on early morning weekend days, and do what I've done in the past, work out on my spinner, elliptical machine, and strength trainer.

The problem is like most of you know is working out at home does get boring after a while, so I'm going to throw in the towel this summer and join a club.

We'll see how this works out.
Old 05-30-14, 03:15 PM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry to hear you are still employed . What I have done in the past is put on a pair of running shoes after work for a fast 30 minutes work out .
Old 05-30-14, 03:43 PM
Wileyrat

Originally Posted by mapeiboy
Sorry to hear you are still employed . What I have done in the past is put on a pair of running shoes after work for a fast 30 minutes work out .
During the time most of you are locked up inside all winter, I'm happily riding and walking after work. Now that it's going to hit 100+ for a few months, it doesn't work out so well, especially since I spend a good portion of my work day outside.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 05-30-14 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-30-14, 05:37 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Machka and I joined a very well-equipped gym at the beginning of this year. It has three pools, two spas, a huge gym workout area and a great atmosphere. We pick our times when there are fewer people about.

I think it has been a very worthwhile addition to our exercise regimens, particular the access to the pool for me, and generally access to high-quality aerobic and weights equipment. Plus we also can participate in group sessions without any additional payments, whether they be yoga, spin classes or any other aerobics.
Old 05-30-14, 06:53 PM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sounds like fun,change things up a little.
Old 05-30-14, 08:55 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,330 Times in 837 Posts
My wife and I have been members of the local YMCA ever since we put the boys through progressive swim classes, and then the younger one through team sports (roller hockey, then basketball). (The elder one was a klutz, like his dad.) The Y is cheaper than most of the alternatives, the equipment is good enough for my needs, and the folks are friendly and non-competitive.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-30-14, 09:26 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
........... The problem is like most of you know is working out at home does get boring after a while, so I'm going to throw in the towel this summer and join a club.

We'll see how this works out.
My off season here in the Midwest is winter. I tried swimming laps [winter before last], then last winter I tried winter-cycling on a gravel grinder of a mountain bike. I

swear I thought I was a better swimmer.... and found that indoor winter swimming was mostly locker room prep and dressing. A huge amount of hassle and effort for a minimal amount of swimming time. I found no joy in swimming.

I liked my gravel grinder! Sliding continuously on snow covered icy roads.... wasn't as much fun as I thought it might be. I also tried a like 20 minute weight training and calisthenics routine. I actually could SEE the muscle growth. I was able (in my 60's) to sculpt my upper body a bit. When spring sprang... I sold the winter bike.

I think you have the right idea about joining a gym! I want to find a place with group classes... something that would also help me keep the heart pumping and burn a few calories. PLUS use the weight training equipment. A spin class... followed by a cool-down walk and a half hour with weight or resistance training would make the trip both fun and feel worth the drive (and fees).
Old 05-31-14, 06:27 PM
1loosemoose

Bikes: 2014 Trek 7.3FX,2015 Trek Domane 4.5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I maintain a YMCA membership and like to go in the mornings(5am) when the open the doors. This is the only way I'm guaranteed to get my exercise in during the day. Then if I come home and wimp out going for a ride or a walk at least I already got my morning exercise in and the day is not a total loss.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy it and you get your money's worth.
Old 06-01-14, 04:29 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
In my experience I've usually found that I join a health club and then break down.

Indoor exercise is inherently boring so I end up trying too hard. I've been unable to ride for a couple of weeks and am fighting the urge to go to the gym as an exercise substitute.
Old 06-02-14, 10:00 AM
Steve Sawyer

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Seceur Elite, Soma ES custom build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My advice is to take classes. The instructors at our local rec center (a beautiful and very well-equipped facility) are attentive to the differing needs of the class members - from the 60+ to the twenty-somethings, and from the whale-sized to the whippet-thin. You can also change things up - try different activities and you'll probably find something that is both challenging and enjoyable. I've gotten a lot out of beginner yoga, TRX suspension and "fit club" classes where you rotate rapidly through various activities with weights, big tractor tires (flipping them over repeatedly, beating on them with sledge hammers), ropes, calisthenics, etc.

The classes do several things - you're noticed when you're absent (keeps you "honest"), you get introduced to things that you might not try otherwise, you develop relationships with your fellow sufferers, er "students", and you have an instructor that goads you to push yourself a little harder than you might on your own.
Old 06-05-14, 05:36 PM
Wileyrat

I did it....I signed up with Planet Fitness. They had the best price to features ratio of the clubs I looked at, and that was the hook.

They don't have any spinning bikes, which is ok because I have one at home if I want to ride a spinner, but they have normal gym exercise bikes with saddles as big as one of my dining room chairs. I spent some time on one yesterday, and I need to break in different parts of my backside to ride those contraptions.

Go figure, my butt is at least good for a metric century, but 20 mins on a fat saddle, not so much.
Old 06-06-14, 10:03 PM
JoeMan
Question Authority

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Solo 30, 2007 REI Novara Safari and Cannondale MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good choice. I feel working out at the club makes me a stronger cyclist and in general fitter.
Two of my favorite exercises are pull ups to work my upper back and leg sleds to build strength in my legs.