Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cheap Bike Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-10, 10:34 AM
David 13

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheap Bike Help

My wife and I are going to be in the Florida Key's for 3 weeks. We have Trek bikes at home but the cost to ship both ways is way too much. I plan on driving our Vette so a bike rack is not an option. Any thoughts on what to buy or what to stay away from? Maby just a couple single speed bikes would work. When we leave I will just leave them or maby try and get a few bucks for them. Renting them for that amount of time would be more then spending a couple hundred. Thanks,and I'm sure some people will think this idea is pretty dumb!!
Old 02-03-10, 10:55 AM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not rent them as needed or go to a local thrift shop and pick up a few. Another thought, post on Craigslist that you are going to be around and would like to rent bikes. Someone may be willing to rent theirs out for the duration of your stay.
Old 02-03-10, 11:21 AM
DallasSoxFan
Scan Me

Bikes: 2009 Trek 2.3, 2010 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by David 13
My wife and I are going to be in the Florida Key's for 3 weeks. We have Trek bikes at home but the cost to ship both ways is way too much. I plan on driving our Vette so a bike rack is not an option. Any thoughts on what to buy or what to stay away from? Maby just a couple single speed bikes would work. When we leave I will just leave them or maby try and get a few bucks for them. Renting them for that amount of time would be more then spending a couple hundred. Thanks,and I'm sure some people will think this idea is pretty dumb!!
Why does a vette preclude a rack? maybe not a roof rack, and I hope it doesn't have a hitch, but a standard universal trunk-mount should work fine on a vette.
Old 02-03-10, 12:25 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SE Bikes "Draft" singlespeed (freewheel) can be found for $200 at LBS and it'd be better than cheap dept store bike. I'm sure you will do fine with a singlespeed in FL for casual riding.

Adam
Old 02-03-10, 01:03 PM
Bicycle Guy

Bikes: Schwinn Willy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would probaly go to Walmart and pick a couple out. Ride them and enjoy them, and give them to a couple of kids when you are ready to leave.

That would probably really make some kids happy! Or you could donate them to a charity.

Ken

Last edited by Bicycle Guy; 02-03-10 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-03-10, 01:14 PM
petflunky
Senior? Member

Bikes: GMC Topkick mountain bike, Schwinn World Traveler, GMC Denali road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some LBS have daily rentals. Call around where you're going to be staying, and see how much it's going to cost.
Old 02-03-10, 03:56 PM
DallasSoxFan
Scan Me

Bikes: 2009 Trek 2.3, 2010 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bicycle Guy
I would probaly go to Walmart and pick a couple out. Ride them and enjoy them, and give them to a couple of kids when you are ready to leave.

That would probably really make some kids happy! Or you could donate them to a charity.

Ken
AWESOME idea. Or find a panhandler and give him some transportation.
Old 02-09-10, 04:52 AM
Whit51 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
From time to time I see ads posted on Craigslist from people wanting to rent bikes for short periods.
Old 02-09-10, 05:49 AM
Esteban32696

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Several things to consider;
There aren't many WalMarts after Miami, so that is still over 100 miles from Key West, if that is the part of the Keys you are going to. If you did buy one from WalMart, make SURE it is assembled well. Usually they are not. I would want to take some tools along if this is the case. Used bikes for sale are iffy, due to rust.
This place , in Key West has reasonable prices on their rentals, & ALL of them are willing to negotiate . A cruiser bike is really all that is needed down there.

https://www.eatonbikes.com/rentals/

While there, be sure not to harass the chickens !!!
Old 02-09-10, 06:35 AM
Rogue Leader

Bikes: 2009 Mercier Galaxy (custom build), 2008 Argon 18 Mercury

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DallasSoxFan
Why does a vette preclude a rack? maybe not a roof rack, and I hope it doesn't have a hitch, but a standard universal trunk-mount should work fine on a vette.
Not at all, there would be nowhere to hook the side straps as the hatch closes flush with the rear deck of the car. Plus Vette + bike rack + trip form Ohio to Florida = can't imagine it going very well.
Old 02-09-10, 07:06 AM
Bob Nichols

Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to Key West a couple of years ago and there was a place that rented bikes right next to where I stayed. It was at the corner of Williams and Eaton Streets.