Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Big Dummy Wheelset Recommendations?

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-10, 06:41 AM
woody1091

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is my first build and I am open for suggestion on which wheels to go with. I want a BD mainly to ride my toddler. she is about 40 pounds and I am 200 plus. With that I need a descent 26 inch wheel set. I will be using a shimano xt group. The wheels need to be black. I want something that is a good roller without an insane price. It needs to be a disc wheel (Avid BB7) I was looking at the Mavic crossride but after reading the reviews I'm not sure that it will hold up under the weight. Any recommendations? Thank you for your assistance.
Old 04-11-10, 07:31 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have Velocity Cliffhangers on mine.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 04-11-10, 07:38 AM
nubcake

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Giant Trance, Felt Breed, Marin SS MTB, Felt Pyre BMX bike, oldschool GT trials bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally would avoid any mavic wheels because of a terrible freehub body and also terrible customer service.

What I plan on building for my xtra cycle once the 28 hole wheelset I have on it finally dies (I already had it and built the wheels on less than $50 from parts I had laying around, it also had a former life as a SS wheel) is going to be shimano XT 36 hole hubs on Rhino Lite rims from sun. The hubs are affordable and very reliable and the rims are also affordable and pretty damn strong, if you want to add a little reassurance you can also add DT alpine spokes as well.

A good place to get ideas is to check out what the people on the touring board are using and substitute for whatever hub you like with disc brakes since most of them run rim brakes.

Hope this helps
Old 04-11-10, 04:00 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
How about an Alfine rear wheel? It will be dishless and uber strong at 32H or 36H. Even 32 spokes dishless is stronger than 40 spokes dished.

You'll also be able to shift while stopped which can be very handy with a load.
Old 04-12-10, 12:48 PM
Fat Tire

Bikes: Torker Cargo-T, 1972 Raleigh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Use the Yuba Mundo Wheelset. Costs about 100 pounds, and 10 pounds postage, 7 speed, 48 spoke rear wheel, 36 spoke front wheel.
Genuine Yuba Mundo replacement wheels available from:
https://www.practicalcycles.com/userimages/procart17.htm

Disk or no disk, as you like.
Old 04-12-10, 02:35 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fat Tire
Use the Yuba Mundo Wheelset. Costs about 100 pounds, and 10 pounds postage, 7 speed, 48 spoke rear wheel, 36 spoke front wheel.
Genuine Yuba Mundo replacement wheels available from:
https://www.practicalcycles.com/userimages/procart17.htm

Disk or no disk, as you like.
I am not sure it will fit the BD dropouts as the axle diameter for the rear wheel is 14mm per the Yuba web site and they offer a large outside diameter spacer kit to allow use of other rear wheels with the Mundo frame. I would certainly check with Yuba regarding fit before ordering the wheel set.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 04-13-10, 05:29 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check Bicycle Wheel Warehouse under MTB section. You can get Mavic 721, 6-bolt Shimano XT hubs and 2mm DT Swiss spokes, all black, disc only for $260. That's a DH wheelset, should be able to take a lot of abuse.
Old 04-15-10, 03:29 PM
atthelastminute

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I built my big dummy with 650b wheels. Using the disc brakes allows you to use sizes other than 26". My wheels with Grand Bois Hetre tires still have plenty of room for fenders, and the fat tires allow you to carry heavy loads. Rode it earlier this week with the wife and five year old on the back, no problem. After 2 years and several 100lbs plus trips, no broken spokes or other issues.