Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

hauling plywood

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

hauling plywood

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-10, 07:36 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hauling plywood

Has anyone successfully hauled several sheets of plywood using some kind of trailer? I was thinking that a flat 4X8 trailer would be best to avoid wind issues.
Old 05-14-10, 11:12 AM
purplepeople
Bent builder

Bikes: Magic leaning delta FWD trike, various bents and Fisher Sugar 3+

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If you live less than a mile from the store, you can walk with the plywood. At the store, stand the bike up against the wall. Rotate the pedals so that the one away from the wall is down. Then put your plywood on the pedal, making sure to clear the handlebars at the front. More than one sheet should be tied together. The weighted pedal will bring the bike off the wall and against the opposite side for the plywood. The whole thing will be rear heavy and you will need to keep one hand on the top front corner of the sheet to keep the back edge from dragging the ground. Your other hand on the exposed side of the handlebar and you're good to go. Wind can be a problem so pick a good calm day.

:)ensen.
Old 05-14-10, 11:15 AM
chandltp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I'm about 3 miles from the store, so walking would be a difficult process. I was hoping to come up with something where I could haul at least 5-6 pieces of 1/2 OSB or drywall.
Old 05-14-10, 12:34 PM
EmersonHart13

Bikes: A Huffy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plywood Weight

An easy way to estimate how much a stack of plywood will weigh is to figure about 25 lbs. per 1/4 in. of thickness. For example, one 4x8-ft. sheet of 1/4-in. plywood will weigh about 25 lbs., 1/2-in. about 50 lbs., and 3/4-in. about 75 lbs. This can help you decide how many trips you need to make to get a stack home, or whether you should have it delivered.
https://www.bobvila.com/HowTo_Library...ght--T389.html
Old 05-14-10, 01:26 PM
chandltp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not concerned about the weight as much as how to safely carry it. Even if I only want once piece, I need a safe way to carry it. I don't want to be renting a trailer for my van every time I need a piece of plywood for a project.
Old 05-14-10, 01:46 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
What's the store charge to deliver?
Old 05-14-10, 06:51 PM
chandltp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I were going to get a lot, I would get it delivered... it's not bad, but if I only need 2 or 3 sheets for a small project it would probably double the cost. It's been a while, but IIRC its about $50 to get lumber delivered.
Old 05-14-10, 07:50 PM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use my 8 foot long Bikes at Work trailer. Works fine. If I did it a lot, I could build an A-frame for the trailer. I got the regular width but the local bike recyclery is thinking of getting another BAW trailer and if they do, I will sell them mine and get the wide model. They will make one 8 feet long if you ask.
Old 05-14-10, 08:18 PM
ekincam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chandltp
I'm not concerned about the weight as much as how to safely carry it. Even if I only want once piece, I need a safe way to carry it. I don't want to be renting a trailer for my van every time I need a piece of plywood for a project.
Are you trying to haul this with a bicycle or van? What type of van? Most never minivans can fit at least one sheet inside flat or slightly tilted -- 47.75" at the widest point inside one of my relative's vans.

On the roof, the weight limit is generally around 100 lbs, but you have to tie it down. Use trucker's hitches and rope with working load at least that of what you are hauling and ensure you secure side to side and fore and aft. Try to secure it such that the wood doesn't over hang the windshield because it is possible to rip the rack off the vehicle that way.
Old 05-15-10, 04:31 PM
chandltp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ekincam
Are you trying to haul this with a bicycle or van? What type of van? Most never minivans can fit at least one sheet inside flat or slightly tilted -- 47.75" at the widest point inside one of my relative's vans.
Yea, I mixed the two things. I want to haul it on a bicycle. We are going to have a hitch on the van that I'll rent a trailer for larger loads, but I would like to be able to make smaller trips on my bicycle.
Old 05-16-10, 02:43 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
You guys make me feel like a wimp. I've only carried 1/4in (to make a floor for my trailer) and only one piece at a time. I don't think my method for hauling large flats would hold up under much more weight than a single piece of plywood.

Originally Posted by crackerdog
...If I did it a lot, I could build an A-frame for the trailer...
Me too.
Old 05-16-10, 05:55 PM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
I know you said you weren't concerned about the weight, but OSB weighs about 52 lbs per sheet in the 1/2 size thus 5 or 6 sheets would be 250-300 lbs. If you have room for storage perhaps a trailer like they sell at harbour freight for a few hundred dollars to tow behind you van would be a more useful idea https://www.harborfreight.com/automot...els-90154.html.
I know this sounds awful on a utility cycling forum are but bicycles are not the best answer for everything.
You stated in your original post a 4X8 trailer would be best and I agree, standing up a 4X8 sheet of anything would be asking for problems with any kind of wind from the side.

Just sayin
Baboo

Last edited by Baboo; 05-16-10 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-16-10, 06:19 PM
FatBaldMen

Bikes: 1 Custom built Colin Laing, a Waterford Paramount & my favorite of the bunch...a 90's TREK women's multitrack, cheap, 21 spds & I can leave her locked up anywhere w/o worrying about theft.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quit being a wuss & make a harness that would allow you to toss it on your back & jog home with it, cinch it around the front to your frank n beans for the extra "Kick in the pants" motivation when you get tired (this is clearly a joke but I dont see where the "Faces" are to emphisize it)

if that doesnt work Can you have it cut Instore into two 4ft x 4ft slabs so it's easier to carry. (of course that wont work if you need the sheets lengths that 4x4 wont work in etc..)
Old 05-16-10, 11:42 PM
Fat Tire

Bikes: Torker Cargo-T, 1972 Raleigh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The average bicycle trailer can usually handle 100 pounds by design, and that assumes the wheels on your bike can handle the extra load. If you insist on carrying it by bicycle you need a sturdier bike with heavy rims/tires, built for hauling loads. If you take the van, and buy a folding 4x8foot trailer, that should solve your problem unless you are making a case to the Boss for buying another bike. Or rent a trailer at the big box lumber store, they usually have some.

Has anyone adapted the commercial surf board carriers for bikes to carry sheets of plywood/drywall? Or made some other modification to allow you to carry it more easily on a bicycle?
Old 05-17-10, 05:50 AM
chandltp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FatBaldMen
Quit being a wuss & make a harness that would allow you to toss it on your back & jog home with it, cinch it around the front to your frank n beans for the extra "Kick in the pants" motivation when you get tired (this is clearly a joke but I dont see where the "Faces" are to emphisize it)
Well, I tried that first, but I can't jog very far and at 8 ft, I was too top heavy. But then I thought I could do it on my bike, but over 10 MPG, I started generating lift and I didn't have the proper equipment to brake and steer at that point..

Seriously though, I *know* the most sensible thing to do is rent / buy a trailer for the van. But I already know I'm not very sensible, so I just want to see how far it's possible to push the limits.
Old 05-17-10, 06:20 AM
Metzinger
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
3 miles? I'd ask at the lumber desk to borrow one of these:

Leave your credit card (or bike) at the store if they insist. You'll be home and back long before this thread had run its course.

...Or just move to Europe, buy the stuff in 60cm widths and tuck it under your arm like a surfboard, one sheet at at time.
Old 05-17-10, 10:05 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Do you need to use it that large? I just love having them cut it to size for me.

With a little care, I could probably get a 4x8 onto my Bikes At Work trailer. It would hang over on all sides, but I could probably bungee it securely.

If it were me, I'd be looking for a friend with a truck or renting one.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 05-17-10 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-17-10, 11:57 AM
chandltp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
If it were me, I'd be looking for a friend with a truck or renting one.
Yes, that's the most sensible option.. but just not as fun as trying to figure out how to do this successfully.
Old 05-17-10, 04:41 PM
ekincam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas

With a little care, I could probably get a 4x8 onto my Bikes At Work trailer. It would hang over on all sides, but I could probably bungee it securely.
That is a horrible idea.
Old 05-17-10, 05:59 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking that I could/would be able to do it with my Xtracycle (permaybehaps only 1 sheet at a time.) It would have to be a real calm day and would require the use of both the wideloaders and the longloader.

It is about 5 miles from my house to the lumberyard, if I actually try this I will post results, the biggest issue that I can foresee would be right side visibility.

I think that it would be similar to this:

Only I would put the load on the right side as opposed to the left side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1634..JPG (45.2 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by xtrajack; 05-17-10 at 06:16 PM. Reason: to include pics
Old 05-27-10, 01:34 PM
crazybikerchick

Bikes: Devinci Caribou, Kona Dew Plus, Raleigh Twenty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure why you don't put the plywood IN your van, or on its roof?

But since this is a forum on how to live without motor vehicles I would imagine the best way to haul 4x8 plywood by bike is with a 4x8 flatbed trailer, which we are hoping to build when we move to a west coast island. (now to hope to be able to have the leg power to get the 4x8 trailer up the 15% grade from the ferry terminal)
Old 05-28-10, 05:53 AM
chandltp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crazybikerchick
I'm not sure why you don't put the plywood IN your van, or on its roof?
It slightly to wide to fit in, and it's a short wheel base, so it's too long to shut the tailgate. On the roof is really hard to get on and off without damaging anything.

But since this is a forum on how to live without motor vehicles I would imagine the best way to haul 4x8 plywood by bike is with a 4x8 flatbed trailer, which we are hoping to build when we move to a west coast island.
Do you have an idea of what materials you are going to use for the trailer? Obviously it needs to be strong, but not overly heavy.
Old 05-31-10, 12:03 PM
crazybikerchick

Bikes: Devinci Caribou, Kona Dew Plus, Raleigh Twenty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thinking of going with a WIKE trailer kit for the hitch etc. and then probably plywood for the base. Its the perfect size for carrying plywood after all Want to make sure that there's a raised platform over the wheels so things over 4' wide such as a queen sized mattress could also be hauled.
https://www.wicycle.com/cargo_diy_kit...le_trailer.php
Old 05-31-10, 03:45 PM
chandltp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thinking of going with a WIKE trailer kit for the hitch etc. and then probably plywood for the base. Its the perfect size for carrying plywood after all Want to make sure that there's a raised platform over the wheels so things over 4' wide such as a queen sized mattress could also be hauled.
https://www.wicycle.com/cargo_diy_kit...le_trailer.php
I like it.. a little pricey for what you get, but it may be a better solution than what I had in mind.