Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

The 2010 Devil's Thread: Hub Gear vs Dérailleur

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

The 2010 Devil's Thread: Hub Gear vs Dérailleur

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-10, 05:34 PM
nekohime
I... Don't care.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Hub, but only because I live in a flat area. If I needed more range, say I lived or road where there were hills, I would probably be with the derailer crowd. Three speeds are fine when its flat. Old SA's seem to go for ever. I have bikes with both.
I rode my Infernal Gear Hub Satan's Chariot (aptly named Vendetta) up and down the hills (the HILLS!!!!) of SoCal...once your legs get used to it, the brompton dual drive system is adequate enough for even the steepest, nastiest hills...like this one on the loop that I ride up and down for fun while waiting for teh bf to get home.

https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3778005
Old 06-02-10, 06:11 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nekohime
I rode my Infernal Gear Hub Satan's Chariot (aptly named Vendetta) up and down the hills (the HILLS!!!!) of SoCal...once your legs get used to it, the brompton dual drive system is adequate enough for even the steepest, nastiest hills...like this one on the loop that I ride up and down for fun while waiting for teh bf to get home.

If I were mayor, I'd fire the city planner
Old 06-02-10, 06:19 PM
AEO

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
a few of these laps, and I'm pooped.
https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3778109
Old 06-02-10, 07:54 PM
stevegor

Bikes: lots... even a Raleigh twenty !!!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have both, but I can tell you that if I was riding a hub geared bike this morning when a Cat 1 rider and I were trying to chase down an invisible training bunch, through hilly terrain....I would have been toast!!

As I said before.... Horse for courses.
For serious road riding a hub geared bike DOES NOT cut it, but for touring, commuting and pootling...PERFECT.

Oh yeah, I have been Cat 1, so I have some knowledge of what I speak...IMHO.
Old 06-02-10, 09:12 PM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brakemeister
time for a group hug
includes you chucky if you want or not
Aww ok

Originally Posted by feijai
[whoosh]

Re-read Chucky's posting. He wasn't being entirely serious. It was a funny posting, and unfortunate that you took it as real.
True, but after reading my next comment to myself even I'm starting to wonder if I might be in league with the devil. Is it bad luck to have a murderous doll for an avatar?

Originally Posted by stevegor
For serious road riding a hub geared bike DOES NOT cut it, but for touring, commuting and pootling...PERFECT.

It never ceases to crack me up how roadies have adopted the term "serious" to describe their style of riding. In my book serious refers to stuff which is actually serious like going to work, on dates, to funerals, etc and for that a derailleur DOES NOT cut it.

But kudos to you for being an expert on things that don't matter. It's better than nothing. I know that was under the belt, bring on the flames.
Old 06-02-10, 09:32 PM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Dont serious riders ride track bikes?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ix_days_01.JPG
Old 06-02-10, 10:32 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nekohime

I always stated that I "retired" from the derailleur equipped Road Bikes over 10 years ago when my old faithful 3 speed Phillips came into my like. Now all my bikes have a simple AW 3 speed internal hub. The terrain has not changed from the time I rode the original derailleur bikes-with lot more gears-for many years. I still cannot get by with just a single speed around here with all these hills surrounding me. I just found something that is far more reliable and able to shift while at a complete stop. And that is real progress to me.
Old 06-02-10, 10:52 PM
stevegor

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dynocoaster
Dont serious riders ride track bikes?

No, they're nutters..... and they throw the BIGGEST tantrums.

It never ceases to crack me up how roadies have adopted the term "serious" to describe their style of riding. In my book serious refers to stuff which is actually serious like going to work, on dates, to funerals, etc and for that a derailleur DOES NOT cut it.

But kudos to you for being an expert on things that don't matter. It's better than nothing. I know that was under the belt, bring on the flames.

Chucky, don't get too serious about what I said, of course cycling isn't that important, but maybe my point is that some here on this forum need to stop dreaming about how good hub or defailure gears are ON FOLDING BIKES and just enjoy what folding bikes are for...... not for what they're not for.... I do.

I hope your opinion of me changes, because I'm not like your reply indicates, I don't think I know or am better than anyone...., in fact, my hatred of the ego driven roadies is even more aggressive than yours.... so please chill out, I respect all you guys/girls...ALOT.
Old 06-03-10, 05:52 AM
thatsut
If it dont fold frankly..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey i was out fixing my derailer, what did i miss?
Old 06-03-10, 06:30 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Well, just for laughs, I'm going to share a photo of a bike I picked up about a year ago. I don't ride it as much as my Downtube Mini, but I have ridden it a few hundred miles, and it is wonderful. Light and fast, able to get up some pretty nasty hills... all with its original 1949 Sturmey Archer FW hub. In fact, it's almost all 1950 original.

I am looking forward to the Shimano 11 speed hub. Will change our world? I rather doubt it; but it will be interesting. Not cheap, though.
Old 06-03-10, 06:54 AM
social suicide

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Alternative to bar end shifters and the like and it doesn't interfere with folding (or take apart)

Just don't find neutral when yer standin up or you'll be singing soprano
Old 06-03-10, 07:23 AM
konut

Bikes: Cannondale Prophet 600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimmy Shimmy Ko-Ko-Bop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGlHO...eature=related
Old 06-03-10, 11:44 AM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very impressive, Stevegor.

Despite what Chucky says, Cat1 is serious cycling.
Old 06-03-10, 12:15 PM
bokes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Snafu,
I think you're a little misguided about IGHubs, especially Rohloffs.

<< cannot be repaired by the average cyclist >>
true, but after 100,000 Rohloffs built (some with mileage nearing 100k miles), only a few cases of failure have been reported (a few flanges have cracked) I can't find a single documented case of an internal failure.

<< and needs a wheel rebuild to replace>>
You might need to do this once in a lifetime.

<< It slows progess by forcing the rider to pause pedalling for a moment when changing gear>>
I think it's just the opposite. IGHubs change gears a lot faster, especially when your changing multi gears, and you can start pedaling full power faster. With a derailleur you can't pedal with too much power during a shift or it will prevent shifting. With a Rohloff I can change 10 gears in .5 second. How long does that take you? AND, see next point...

<< (derailleurs) allows sprocket changes when pedalling>>
Sometimes wrong, Many IGHs can shift under power.

<< and it presents a limited gear range when compared with 'proper' dérailleur systems >>
Wrong. Rohloff has the same range as a mtn triple.

<< On the upside, the rider can change gear 'when stationary' . Why would they do this peculiar ritual? >>
Ever start off in too high a gear? Especially when you need to zoom ahead of an approaching car?

<< and changing overall sprocket range is the simple matter of swapping a cassette.>>
to me the Rohloff has the perfect gear ratio between gears, and they're evenly spaced. Not an issue.

<< They are light >>
True, but when you consider that with an IGH, you lose the weight of...both derailleurs (no tensioner needed with proper frame), front chainrings, front shifter, front shifter cable, derailleur hub, it's not much heavier.

Also AEO,
<<
I like drop bars. that pretty much forces me to use derailer systems.
>>
I have some drop bars that split and allow for mtn bike shifters to be mounted on the top hand position.

I won't even get into all the advantages of the IGH, there are zillions of threads that list them. Why did you suggest to stop the voting so soon? Were the results not what you were expecting ?

+1 IGH

Last edited by bokes; 06-03-10 at 12:46 PM. Reason: correction
Old 06-03-10, 02:20 PM
JCFlack

Bikes: Giant Escape III

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sorry I missed the voting. I've had to fiddle with my derailleur far too often, and I'd love to be able to shift to a lower gear while stopped at an intersection. So I'm ready to try an IGH. But the only bike with one that I've ever ridden was an old wreck of a 3-speed that used to belong to my sister. It had too many other problems to consider it a fair trial.
Old 06-03-10, 03:07 PM
AEO

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
there are splitting drop bars, but as far as I'm aware, those come on some cheap raleighs or something and I'm really picky about the bends in my drop bars

I would love to equip an IGH with belt drive for a folder, since my hands get dirty when I try and insert my lock in the rear triangle and wheel when locking up.
dirty hands spell dirty clothing
Old 06-03-10, 03:23 PM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AEO
I would love to equip an IGH with belt drive for a folder, since my hands get dirty when I try and insert my lock in the rear triangle and wheel when locking up.
I have an Abio bike, with a SA 3 speed hub and belt drive. Clean, quiet and enjoyable. Also had a Sachs Duomatic 2 speed hub on it once upon a time.

IGH with belt drive on a folder makes a lot of sense for a commuting bike.

Last edited by SesameCrunch; 06-03-10 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-03-10, 03:38 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yuck! If you used the regular HTML quote protocol, it would make reading this easier.

OK now that barely warranted rant is off my chest ...

Generally, I don't include the Rohloff as part of the discussion due to price. But I agree that it is a great hub.

(1) On the tandem@hobbes list there are some people -- two or three tandem dealers if my memory is correct -- that have a less inspiring view of the Rohloff and have discussed a few stories about them.

(2) I recall reading that there is a "sporty" version coming that is lighter but is less robust with respect to loads.

(3) The bad thing about the Rohloff is that you now have a bike that is a target for a knowledgeable bike thief.

More generally, I have only found the ability to switch gears at a standstill useful when I first start riding the bike ... most recently with a purchase of a used recumbent. Not being able to stand and mash made gear choice at stop lights more important. After a few spins, it becomes pretty instinctual for me and no longer an issue.

Anyway, IGHs clearly have a place in cycling. Since this is a folding forum, I didn't discuss this earlier. But with the longer and sometimes tortured chain runs of recumbent bikes, derailers have a more difficult time with the heavier chains. An IGH -- particularly for a utility bike -- would make a lot of sense here.

Originally Posted by bokes
Snafu,
I think you're a little misguided about IGHubs, especially Rohloffs.

<< cannot be repaired by the average cyclist >>
true, but after 100,000 Rohloffs built (some with mileage nearing 100k miles), only a few cases of failure have been reported (a few flanges have cracked) I can't find a single documented case of an internal failure.

<< and needs a wheel rebuild to replace>>
You might need to do this once in a lifetime.

<< It slows progess by forcing the rider to pause pedalling for a moment when changing gear>>
I think it's just the opposite. IGHubs change gears a lot faster, especially when your changing multi gears, and you can start pedaling full power faster. With a derailleur you can't pedal with too much power during a shift or it will prevent shifting. With a Rohloff I can change 10 gears in .5 second. How long does that take you? AND, see next point...

<< (derailleurs) allows sprocket changes when pedalling>>
Sometimes wrong, Many IGHs can shift under power.

<< and it presents a limited gear range when compared with 'proper' dérailleur systems >>
Wrong. Rohloff has the same range as a mtn triple.

<< On the upside, the rider can change gear 'when stationary' . Why would they do this peculiar ritual? >>
Ever start off in too high a gear? Especially when you need to zoom ahead of an approaching car?

<< and changing overall sprocket range is the simple matter of swapping a cassette.>>
to me the Rohloff has the perfect gear ratio between gears, and they're evenly spaced. Not an issue.

<< They are light >>
True, but when you consider that with an IGH, you lose the weight of...both derailleurs (no tensioner needed with proper frame), front chainrings, front shifter, front shifter cable, derailleur hub, it's not much heavier.

Also AEO,
<<
I like drop bars. that pretty much forces me to use derailer systems.
>>
I have some drop bars that split and allow for mtn bike shifters to be mounted on the top hand position.

I won't even get into all the advantages of the IGH, there are zillions of threads that list them. Why did you suggest to stop the voting so soon? Were the results not what you were expecting ?

+1 IGH
Old 06-03-10, 08:13 PM
stevegor

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SesameCrunch
Very impressive, Stevegor.

Despite what Chucky says, Cat1 is serious cycling.

Chucky and I have agreed to not agree and have shaken the hand of friendship, so it's cool.

I should qualify my Cat 1 rating..... That's Cat 1 Masters which is still very difficult, and around Cat 2 with the young guys at my peak 35+yrs
Trained with Cat 1 elite on fast competitive rides, discovered the meaning of agony and pain.... and chunder.
Old 06-03-10, 10:35 PM
Fat Tire

Bikes: Torker Cargo-T, 1972 Raleigh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I prefer a good Shimano 3 speed to a Sturmey Archer, and a Shimano 8 speed to a Sturmey Archer, and a Sturmey Archer Hub of whatever style to a dérailleur.

I'd buy a Nu Vinci sight unseen before I'd use a dérailleur. I have been known to buy a Belt-driven bike too.
Old 06-04-10, 01:19 AM
syklist

Bikes: VSF T400 Rohloff, 16 speed Brompton, Dahon Speed TR, Halfords Limit Hybrid, old Dutch townbike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting thread, shame I missed the voting. It would have been another vote for IHG.

Re IHG being able to shift at all times. Since getting Rohloffs my knees have been happier as there is no more being 'stuck' in top gear on a loaded touring bike. Being in completely the wrong gear ie way too high and not being able to shift immediately hurts knees and legs and costs lots of unnecessary energy. The Rohloff has actually improved my cardiovascular fitness and reduced knee problems at the same time. The same applies by varying degrees to all the hub gears I've used and in part to SRAM Dual Drives.
Cheers
Stan
Old 06-04-10, 10:54 AM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chucky and I have agreed to not agree and have shaken the hand of friendship, so it's cool.
Yes and I must say that stevegor is quite the gentlemen...which is nice for me because I don't think we'll ever agree.
Old 06-06-10, 01:18 AM
stevegor

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You make me blush.....

To the folder folk I want to be known as a lovable, cuddly sorta fella, who likes BOTH IGH and defailures.

My road cycling personality, unfortunately, can at times be aggressive and antagonistic.... sorry about that.

My tandem personality is friendly and likes riding real fast

My MTB personality is different...... very different, sort of feral and woodsy.
Old 06-06-10, 01:34 AM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You make me blush.....

To the folder folk I want to be known as a lovable, cuddly sorta fella, who likes BOTH IGH and defailures.

My road cycling personality, unfortunately, can at times be aggressive and antagonistic.... sorry about that.

My tandem personality is friendly and likes riding real fast

My MTB personality is different...... very different, sort of feral and woodsy.
Maybe you should see a doctor. I'm just a dick no matter what I'm riding, but a well meaning dick.
Old 06-06-10, 01:52 AM
stevegor

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chucky
Maybe you should see a doctor. I'm just a dick no matter what I'm riding, but a well meaning dick.
Dr Phil refused to see me.... something about "which personality would I bring today?"... sort of thing.

At least I'm never lonely, even if I argue with myselves at times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.