Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bag Balm and Gold Bond

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bag Balm and Gold Bond

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-10, 09:45 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Hi George,

I have my ride and motel reservations for H-N-H, so that part's done. Do they have Hammer Products at the rest stops / checkpoints? If not I can bring my own in little baggies in my jersey pockets.

Rick / OCRR
Originally Posted by billydonn
Not directly on-point perhaps, but I recommend Desitin ointment to help heal chapped buns after the damage is done.
Originally Posted by stercomm
George,

I ride in the Houston heat and humidity most weeks (work there, live in Ohio) and I use Chamois butt'r when I ride. I actually use Bag Balm after the ride(and shower) if there has been some chaffing. I've found over the years a lot of the chaffing occurs when my bike shorts begin to lose their tightness or I'm moving my hips too much while riding (often a sign of fatigue). I've done a number of 60-100 mile rides in the heat and humidity and have found Chamios butt'r to work well. I love the Gold Bond for after the shower, like a thousand little fairies softly blowing on my tush. If you do use the combo am very interested in your results.
I may give it a try tomorrow and I'll let you know. I usually ride out near the Fulshear area.
Old 06-12-10, 07:58 AM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stercomm
George,

I ride in the Houston heat and humidty most weeks (work there, live in Ohio) and I use Chamois butt'r when I ride. I actually use Bag Balm after the ride(and shower) if there has been some chaffing. I've found over the years a lot of the chaffing occurs when my bike shorts begin to lose their tightness or I'm moving my hips too much while riding (often a sign of fatigue). I've done a number of 60-100 mile rides in the heat and humidity and have found Chamios butt'r to work well. I love the Gold Bond for after the shower, like a thousand little fairies softly blowing on my tush. If you do use the combo am very interested in your results.
I am on my way out to buy some of that stuff now!
Old 06-12-10, 08:14 AM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bag Balm is great stuff, but avoid tins labeled Bag Balm Dilators.
Old 06-12-10, 08:33 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Gold Bond or other powders for that matter will gum up. I wouldn't use them. I'm wondering about your saddle, could it be playing a role, or if you're having a reaction to what you wash your shorts with? I remember our family MD telling my wife and I some 30 years ago that you could treat heat rash with the same things used for diaper rash. Is it Desitin ointment we used? I no longer remember, and haven't had to deal with heat rash for a few years. I guess zinc oxide would work too. I believe both would put a layer between you and the moisture & heat causing the discomfort. Good luck in finding a solution.
Old 06-12-10, 09:35 AM
George

Just a final update. I only rode 30 miles today, this heat is starting to wear me down. Today I had a heat index of 96 and the wind was 16 to 29. I gave it a try and it didn't work. The Gold Bond did gum up and the bag balm worked like it always did. Bag balm in the crease and Gold Bond down the front. I was stilled soaked when I got home. I offend wondered if my saddle was bad or my bibs. At least I have the answer now and nothing can change it, I don't think. I wear the thinnest bibs that Velowear sells and I have 5 new pair, so that's not the problem. The Fizik Aliante has been my best and most comfortable saddle to date. So I guess I have to use more Bag Balm and HTFU.
Old 06-12-10, 11:30 AM
Fat Tire

Bikes: Torker Cargo-T, 1972 Raleigh

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm sorry that the Texas weather this years has been disappointingly cold, it's usually warmer this time of year. Heck, last year at this time we were in triple digits twice by this date. And OH, Yes, it will be warmer in August.

Avoid using Gold Bond Powder in the green containers, for "Anti-monkey-butt", just use the yellow container. Avoid shriveling your junk to the size of raisins.

If you are not sweating here in South Central Texas, now, you have heat stroke. Seek immediate medical care. Or just ride slower. I don't think I can stay upright at that speed, but I'm willing to try.
Old 06-12-10, 11:47 AM
George

Originally Posted by Fat Tire
I'm sorry that the Texas weather this years has been disappointingly cold, it's usually warmer this time of year. Heck, last year at this time we were in triple digits twice by this date. And OH, Yes, it will be warmer in August.

Avoid using Gold Bond Powder in the green containers, for "Anti-monkey-butt", just use the yellow container. Avoid shriveling your junk to the size of raisins.

If you are not sweating here in South Central Texas, now, you have heat stroke. Seek immediate medical care. Or just ride slower. I don't think I can stay upright at that speed, but I'm willing to try.
Last year at this time we were breaking records, like we are this year, according to the news.
Old 06-12-10, 07:12 PM
George

It just dawned on me. I was looking for a fix last year and I found combination. I was going through all the stuff for heat rash I bought last year and there it was. Bag Balm and Aquaphor. I use to put the Aquaphor on first and then the Bag Balm. It worked great. Now I've got to heal up and everything will be fine. Thanks for all the replies everybody and safe riding to you all.
Old 06-13-10, 09:35 AM
djnzlab1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
HI,
I ve noticed moving the nose of the seat up on my saddles help prevent some tender spots in the middle, I do ride a Brooks saddle though,
another post I ve read talked about bacteria growing in sweaty pads, so I have three different ridding pants/bibs when ones used I hang it
in the house in the AC, inside out to completly dry out fast. bacteria and yeast will continue to grow in your pads unless completly dry, get the off asap after a ride,
I ve seen people in Bath towels changing out of their Gear ASAP after a long ride they must know somethin.
I tend to rotate my pants daily to prevent transfer of bacteria and other nasties to my crotch.
I have found that using a mixture of 90% isopropyl etoh (rubbing alcohal) ,and that Liquid whitch hazel 50/50 to the under carrage helps reduce
excess sweating between ridesit dosnt burn either oddly enough if the skin isns't broken , The witch hazel and ispropy close your sweat pours and the alcohal will help the skin harden upa bit. i also use that gold bond foot crean it has vitamins and anti bacteria/yeast stuff already in it.
In my time we used tincure of benzine to toughen skin for taping feet for football but hard to find today.
Rash's can be allergic reaction to your soap in your washmachine and sweating can help push the irritant into the skin so be sure
your washing powder or soap is hypo-allergic, some peope are extremly sensative to soaps.
I am no Dr but I have a family history of sensativity to washing powder's in clothes as do many babies when the Diapers are
washed and not rinsed enough. not to say that your a wee one but your skin in the under carriage stays pretty moist in the summer months
specially if you clothes have to much soap in them.
Finally remeber to avoid using fabric softner in your gore-tex type clothe sit reduces air-flow thru the material thats howit reduce static it coates the fibers with some stuff.
Thats all I can add for now.
Doug the tender butt
ps some problems are due to not moving around on the seat or uneven pressure points on the saddle.

Last edited by djnzlab1; 06-13-10 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-13-10, 10:23 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Bag Balm worked great for the week of long, hot and humid rides I just finished. No fabric could displace all the sweating I was doing, so the slick barrier was essential to reduce chafing. I made it through the week without sores developing.