Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rivendell's $4,300 "surpise" bike-Will you one of the lucky 9 owners?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rivendell's $4,300 "surpise" bike-Will you one of the lucky 9 owners?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-11, 02:14 PM
bobbycorno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I wouldn't shell out the green for one of his regular bikes, so I certainly wouldn't shell out that much for one, sight unseen, even if it's supposed to be some kind of wonderful.
+1 But there are plenty of folks who would, and I'm sure cousin Grant is counting on that.

Scott PetersOn
Bend, OR
Old 06-29-11, 02:17 PM
bobbycorno

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MrEss
For $4.5k with a "single chainring" that you can "ride across the country," I'm thinking this might be "Grant wants a 650B Rohloff bike."

If I were loaded, I'd go for it for curiosity's sake. If I'm right about the configuration, it wouldn't even be a bad deal.
You'd HAVE to be loaded, AFAIAC. Oh, wait... you meant "loaded as in rich", not "loaded as in drunk". Never mind...

SP
Bend, OR
Old 06-29-11, 03:10 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbycorno
You'd HAVE to be loaded, AFAIAC. Oh, wait... you meant "loaded as in rich", not "loaded as in drunk". Never mind...

SP
Bend, OR
Little bit of column A, little bit of column B...

But hey, why not pay $4300 for a bike with a frame-set that surely has very close/identical geometry to a bike that's been built before, and a collection of parts that I'm sure you could put together for under $700 with a custom paint-job? The extra work involved in that surely isn't worth the $3000+ you'd save for a bike that you might not even like.

Last edited by 3speed; 06-29-11 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-29-11, 03:36 PM
Ediblestarfish

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
Little bit of column A, little bit of column B...

But hey, why not pay $4300 for a bike with a frame-set that surely has very close/identical geometry to a bike that's been built before, and a collection of parts that I'm sure you could put together for under $700 with a custom paint-job? The extra work involved in that surely isn't worth the $3000+ you'd save for a bike that you might not even like.
Can you price out a list for me that works out to that amount?

The frames are going to be custom fit, with whatever extras being determined to test. AFAIK, new custom lugged frames alone cost more than $700.
Old 06-29-11, 04:25 PM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Since there's no front derailler, must be an internal geared hub and maybe a curved seat tube!
Old 06-29-11, 04:35 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Ediblestarfish
Can you price out a list for me that works out to that amount?

The frames are going to be custom fit, with whatever extras being determined to test. AFAIK, new custom lugged frames alone cost more than $700.
The frames from what I read, will be custom fit, by agreement with the client but it sure reads as if they are designed by Grant. Not stating that is a bad thing, but one has to be Riv' reader and happy client to buy in. At least I would think so.

As a side note, Mark Nobilette must be a darn busy guy, building the new Rene Herse's, his own and then these. No wonder his web site price list is from 2008.
From the appearance of his work it looks truly well crafted.
Old 06-29-11, 04:38 PM
Bogester 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 125 Posts
Rivendell post? I'm guessing 9 pages.
Old 06-29-11, 04:45 PM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
As a side note, Mark Nobilette must be a darn busy guy, building the new Rene Herse's, his own and then these. No wonder his web site price list is from 2008.
I would hope, but I wonder how many new Rene Herses are being ordered, and there's also the fact that Mark is a bit under the radar as a framebuilder, especially considering the quality of his work and his extensive experience (he was an Eisentraut guy). He's also very nice and not a pushy or flashy personality. I think his workmanship is exceptional, from what I could see up close with the paint on.
Old 06-29-11, 04:50 PM
Ediblestarfish

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grant does have his own 'fit', which has a lot of touring bike influence, but it's still going to be using the buyer's measurements and a frame from scratch. He dropped a note on another message board that most of the buyers were very tall, so that's something that will definitely need to be worked around.

There's no such thing as a perfect fit anyway--just particular orientations that work towards the activity you're doing on the bike. Majority of riv's stuff is semi-upright, relaxed riding.

I have my Rivendell A.H.H., and the setup just feels like a more upright, comfy road bike. Nothing crazy or esoteric about it; feels like what I'd expect from a non-competitive road bike geometry, which funny enough, was hard to find when I was shopping. Still, I have extreme reservations about jumping into a new, expensive, unknown bike, so I just looked at the offer and something peculiar.
Old 06-29-11, 04:58 PM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
he does a few more than those even. i know he does velo cult's rando bike (when he's not doing other jobs lol). i'm sure he has a similar deal with other smaller outfits.
Old 06-29-11, 05:17 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
considering there are people who will pay $2500 just for wheels, i'm not surprised all of these were sold. even if you hate the bike you will likely be able to sell it for at least what you paid simply due to the rarity and this here promotion
Old 06-29-11, 06:36 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I'm hoping for a third top tube and a really, really obscure wheelsize to boot.
Old 06-29-11, 07:25 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by clasher
I'm hoping for a third top tube and a really, really obscure wheelsize to boot.
Anything to make it easier to make fun of Rivendell
Old 06-29-11, 08:05 PM
you

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur '89

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bets on what the frame ends up being? I'm thinking, HAS to be a Rohloff bike of some sort. Single-track adventure-tourer?
Old 06-29-11, 09:07 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Grant crazy?, Charles Manson is crazy, Grant is just different then the rest of the crowd.
Old 06-29-11, 09:24 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by you
Bets on what the frame ends up being? I'm thinking, HAS to be a Rohloff bike of some sort. Single-track adventure-tourer?
Carbon Fiber

S. J. Perelman
Old 06-29-11, 09:30 PM
repechage

Not plastic, but Nobilette does do titanium. I like the oddball wheel size idea, the return of 28 x 1 3/4"... it was good for hundreds of millions of Chinese before they got money for cars. They roll over everything, curbs, small dogs...
Old 06-29-11, 09:32 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by frantik
considering there are people who will pay $2500 just for wheels, i'm not surprised all of these were sold. even if you hate the bike you will likely be able to sell it for at least what you paid simply due to the rarity and this here promotion
I would like a set of Madfibers... my birthday is coming, if everyone just gave a dollar... I'd be all set.
Old 06-29-11, 09:53 PM
robatsu

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Well, as much as I was entertained by the Riv offering (I ran across it before this thread), I don't want to be the pot calling the kettle black. Anyone who coughs up 4.3k for an unknown bike is clearly fetishizing Riv, GP, Nobilette, lugs or something. But heck, the monetary value of time I've spent wrenching, polishing, ferretting, etc, cheap old bikes would make 4.3k a drop in the bucket and I don't even have a unique Riv to show for it.

And I respect GP for following his muse. He's making a living, but he certainly isn't getting insanely rich doing it, though, like another poster, I also sorta miss the Riv of the level top tube and truly sensible cycling.

With those pious qualifiers out of the way, this Riv deal reminds me of the codicil to P.T. Barnum's law of a sucker born every minute - "It is morally wrong not to take full advantage of a sucker".

So GP continues to earn my respect