Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

sleepin in tent is oh so hard.

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

sleepin in tent is oh so hard.

Old 07-13-11, 12:55 PM
antokelly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ok even with the home pillow which i wont forget the next time, i still find it very hard to sleep.
the guy i tour with is only 30 seconds in his own tent and he's snoring his brains out.
as i said, i thought there would be lots of campers suffering the same thing.
so i guess i will have to lay back on the tea/coffee and get some sleeping tablets from the doc, i would hate to have to give up touring because of this problem,
god the nights can be so so long, all kinds of thoughts come into play when you lie awake in a field miles from home, i did think of selling the lot when i got back home but i've spent a lot of money on gear all top quality and my thorn bike would break my heart to sell it cheap, i would lose a hell of a lot of money as there no profit in selling stuff on.
anyway guess i will have to sort this out as theres so much touring left in my legs to give it all up.
Old 07-13-11, 01:10 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
(if your Thorn is about a 54cm top tube, then I whole heartedly encourage you to sell it and your other gear rather cheaply, my pm shall follow)

;-)

seriously, dont know when you drink tea/coffee in the day, but who knows if that is it.
I dunno, but if after riding a bike for most of a day you still cant sleep reasonably well, who knows what the issue is. I spent my childhood camping so sleeping in a tent is a complete non issue (given all the standard pre-requisites, a somewhat comfortable thermarest, warm enough sleeping bag, knowing my tent is fine in a rainstorm, and a reasonably comfortable pillow or facsimilie of one)

good luck with it (err, what frame size is the Thorn.......?)
Old 07-13-11, 01:43 PM
antokelly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by djb
(if your Thorn is about a 54cm top tube, then I whole heartedly encourage you to sell it and your other gear rather cheaply, my pm shall follow)

;-)

seriously, dont know when you drink tea/coffee in the day, but who knows if that is it.
I dunno, but if after riding a bike for most of a day you still cant sleep reasonably well, who knows what the issue is. I spent my childhood camping so sleeping in a tent is a complete non issue (given all the standard pre-requisites, a somewhat comfortable thermarest, warm enough sleeping bag, knowing my tent is fine in a rainstorm, and a reasonably comfortable pillow or facsimilie of one)

good luck with it (err, what frame size is the Thorn.......?)
cheers djb touring is still new to me i never slept in a tent in my life until 3 years ago so its still all new to me.
my thorn is reall a dream machine for touring i did fall out with it a while back ,found it very sluggish on climbs but that was just the easy way out it's not the bike just the pilot.

btw its to small for ya. 51cm i'm only a wee guy 5.6 tall .but very good looking hah.
Old 07-13-11, 02:26 PM
simplygib

Bikes: Hard Rock Sport, Peugeot Triathlon, Schwinn Paramount Series 7

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by antokelly
ah you cant get them bags for free on this side of te pond they cost 10 cent each .
Ok, forget that idea.
But regarding the tea/coffee, some people are just super sensitive to caffeine. My gf is like that. She can have one coke at noon and she will lay awake that night for hours and hours. Me, on the other hand, I can drink coffee right before bed and sleep like a baby. It would be a shame to give up touring for this - try cutting out the caffeine completely. I know, drastic measures, but to keep touring it would be worth it. Maybe a non-caffeinated substitute of some sort?

Originally Posted by djb
i dunno, but I would think grocery bags would be awfully "crinckly" as in sound crinckles.
I thought so too, but in practice they weren't bad at all, especially covered with my fleece.

Last edited by simplygib; 07-13-11 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-13-11, 03:09 PM
TenThousandSuns

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get melatonin pills in the diet supplement section in any pharmacy. Safe, easy and work for most people. Simply the same hormone that your body produces to signal sleepiness.
Old 07-13-11, 03:49 PM
antokelly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TenThousandSuns
You can get melatonin pills in the diet supplement section in any pharmacy. Safe, easy and work for most people. Simply the same hormone that your body produces to signal sleepiness.
thanks for that might be worth a try.
Old 07-13-11, 04:31 PM
EriktheFish
Silly Party Member

Bikes: Rans Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by antokelly
i was plenty tired believe me and i had not one but two inflatable pillows, didn't work still awake all night.
Screw the inflatable pillows and the stuffing-a-stuff-sack-with-clothes jive and buy a compressible pillow or a real pillow. A good night's sleep is worth the extra weight/space.
Old 07-13-11, 06:22 PM
djb

simplygib-I too am fairly sensitive to caffeine, morning is best for me with tea.

anto--from what I have seen of Thorns, they really do look like lovely built bikes that will last and last and last. All the best with the sleeping thing, and I agree with Erik the Viking, whatever pillow works go with it, a good nights sleep is completely worth it.

cheers again.
Old 07-13-11, 06:30 PM
skyzo

Bikes: '84 Cannondale ST500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sewed my own pillow with some fleece and goose down. Weighs like 5oz, and totally worth the extra weight. Packs down to the size of a softball.

That paired with a couple shots of whiskey, I sleep better in a tent than I do at home!
Old 07-13-11, 07:05 PM
Lou Skannon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Towel in a t-shirt works as a pillow for me. But I still haven't cracked the poor sleeping problem.
I reckon that because I don't do a very energetic job; my body gets confused when it gets put to work for hour after hour.
My brain tells me that I need a good nights sleep while my body says "Are we going to do this or what?"
It does get better if the tour goes into a second month. But that might be because the body adjusts slowly to the new routine or because my new fitness copes better with the exersion or both.
Old 07-14-11, 04:29 AM
antokelly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
next time out the pillow is top of the packing list .
djb the thing i find with the thorn is it's so solid on the road loaded or unloaded nothing seems to faze it .
i went down a decent over in the cotswolds last year at 45mph fully loaded, the bike was great the pilot was scared stiff but yeah great touring bike these thorn boys know how to build a tourer.
pity they dont give lessons on how to relax when the zip is pulled shut on the tent.
Old 07-14-11, 06:50 AM
garethzbarker

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert 09, Custom 2013 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
xanax.... I can't sleep at home so the only way I can sleep outside is to drug myself.
Old 07-14-11, 08:51 AM
djb

[QUOTE=antokelly;12926463
pity they dont give lessons on how to relax when the zip is pulled shut on the tent.[/QUOTE]

I have always had the ability to sleep just about anywhere, can catch a needed snooze wherever, it bugs my wife who doesnt sleep well....
Old 07-14-11, 09:34 AM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skyzo
I sewed my own pillow with some fleece and goose down. Weighs like 5oz, and totally worth the extra weight. Packs down to the size of a softball.

That paired with a couple shots of whiskey, I sleep better in a tent than I do at home!
Where did you source the goose down? Locally or online?
Old 07-14-11, 09:45 AM
oneofpr
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless I am completely obliterated in alcohol, there is no way I can sleep in a hammock, and if I do so the next day will wake up destroyed.

I agree with uci, to practice more at home before going on tour. Similar like when I fight with the wifey and have to sleep on the couch, the first few days it sucks, but by the 3rd day I am sleeping like a baby.
Old 07-14-11, 12:03 PM
DTSCDS
"Fred"--is that bad?

Bikes: Felt f85 (11); Trek 7.3 FX (07); Schwinn Super Sport (86); Specialized Rockhopper (87)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oneofpr
Unless I am completely obliterated in alcohol, there is no way I can sleep in a hammock, and if I do so the next day will wake up destroyed.

I agree with uci, to practice more at home before going on tour. Similar like when I fight with the wifey and have to sleep on the couch, the first few days it sucks, but by the 3rd day I am sleeping like a baby.
Might want to invest in a pull-out sleeper sofa.
(Personal experience. . .)
Old 07-14-11, 12:35 PM
antokelly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
lads never upset the wife they always win the battle no matter what.
Old 07-20-11, 03:43 PM
antokelly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i came across a site in America that sells down camping pillows really look the business .i email them a week ago still no reply so has anyone got a link to a company that makes these pillows thanks.
Old 07-20-11, 05:13 PM
spike57

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I may be the only person ever to use his annual REI discount and dividend on a camp pillow. After I blow up my Big Agnes sleeping pad, I stuff my Nano-puff jacket into the stuff sack. Only improvised pillow that's ever felt good. About $120 after the 20% discount (not counting the BA stuff sack). Ultralighters would be proud of my dual-purposing.

Lying awake has become more and more common with me as I get older. However, on tour or while backpacking, I don't mind lying awake in my tent as long as I have my headlamp and a book. It's at home when I know I have to work the next day that wakefulness sucks.
Old 07-20-11, 09:04 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by oneofpr
Have you tried it? I find the hammock very comfortable and it's my preferred shelter for short solo trips.
Old 07-20-11, 09:41 PM
benajah
One legged rider

Bikes: Kuota Kharma, Surly LHT, CAAD9, Bianchi fg/ss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I always carry a camelbak even if I don't use it for water normally. Its there for long waterless stretches, and at night I can blow it up and use it as a pillow, works like a charm.
One thing I learned in the army, always have a camelbak. Makes a good sitting pad, pillow, water carrier, hot water bottle for cold nights, all sorts of uses.
If that doesn't work you just need to harden up a bit.
Old 07-21-11, 02:04 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by spike57
I may be the only person ever to use his annual REI discount and dividend on a camp pillow. After I blow up my Big Agnes sleeping pad, I stuff my Nano-puff jacket into the stuff sack. Only improvised pillow that's ever felt good. About $120 after the 20% discount (not counting the BA stuff sack). Ultralighters would be proud of my dual-purposing.
Pshah, a true ultra-lighter would be wearing the nano-puff in the sleeping bag; you can shave off 4 ounces by carrying a lighter bag that way.

I've also spent a night very drunk in a hammock, speaking from experience it isn't really any difference than doing it sober. It's pretty comfy either way.
Old 07-21-11, 08:42 AM
MNBikeguy

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Have you tried it? I find the hammock very comfortable and it's my preferred shelter for short solo trips.
Jealous of you hammock guys...
I'm a sleep thrasher. It would never work.
Curious, do you ever find problems finding trees properly spaced?
Old 07-21-11, 10:56 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by MNBikeguy
Curious, do you ever find problems finding trees properly spaced?
Not yet. I'm from Ontario, trees are plentiful here. In a natural stand of trees you're guaranteed to find suitable trees. In an artificially landscaped setting, such as a campground, it's more difficult. I've only camped three times in campgrounds with the hammock and all three times I was lucky to find suitable trees in my lot. It should be easy to switch to a different lot though.
Old 07-21-11, 02:44 PM
Connell
Wheezy Rider

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I generally have a hard time sleeping the first couple of nights away from my own bed, whether that be on the ground, in a hotel room or someone else's house. I'm a frustratingly light sleeper to begin with and when camping, this is compounded by the "Gee, I hope I don't have to get up to pee" syndrome. I rarely get up in the night at home, and if I do, it's generally only once. In a sleeping bag, it's every couple of hours. :-)

But, I do like sleeping in my tent, or under the stars so generally I try to find as flat a spot as I can, then take the time to clear away any rocks, twigs, pine cones or whatever from underneath me. If I can find a nice grassy spot, then better still. I try to limit my liquid intake as I get closer to bed time and take every opportunity to pee before turning in. If I don't sleep well tonight, then I probably will tomorrow. Or if not then, hopefully the night after.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.