Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist runs into pedestrian in NYC Central Park - now she's brain dead

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclist runs into pedestrian in NYC Central Park - now she's brain dead

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-14, 12:05 PM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
Only from the perspective of someone who views driving as a god-given right. Jaywalkers don't kill people, but motorists kill almost 5,000 a year. If USAnians drove with a modicum of caution the rate of pedestrian fatalities would plummet (see europe). Pedestrians should always have right of way and motorists should respect this right of way.

Avoding killing jaywalkers is not rocket science. Speed kills. Lack of attention kills. If someone is driving in a manner that increases risk to pedestrians they should slow the @#$% down and wake the @#$% up. The narcissistic convenience of mindless and fast motoring is not worth a human life. And all of the above applies to stravadicks cycling in city parks.

Here's the forest for the trees...until jaywalking is enforced effectively accidents like this one are always going to happen, and people are going to be seriously injured, and no matter what cyclists will continue to be blamed.

If you are going to create a shared facility then the rules of how it operates needs to be equally enforced for the safety of all participants involved, pedestrians on foot, casual cyclists, athletic cyclists, joggers, etc..

That is not the case in Central Park. There's a dedicated bike lane divided into slow lanes and fast lanes, the speed limit is 25mph, plenty adequate for many road cyclists. The lines of site are good for the most part. As it stands pedestrians completely ignore what is the posted, proper, and safe use of the right of ways, and the cops don't do **** about it.

IMO they should fence the drive and funnel foot traffic to the crosswalks and strictly enforce the light rules. Cyclists stopping at lights, pedestrians crossing with lights. Problem solved.

Last edited by UnfilteredDregs; 09-21-14 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-20-14, 01:18 PM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
That being said, I have spent a little time in NYC (20 years ago). I don't know if this has changed but the only people stopping at Don't-Walk traffic signals on Manhattan Island WERE the tourists! If I had stopped to wait for a WALK signal I would be trampled if the coast was clear to go. Pretty much the same in NOLA, except that everybody on foot here is clueless, in a fog, or looking down at a glowing box in their hand and not where they are going.
The "Disneyland" effect - LOL.

The visitors from smaller cities in the US tend to follow NYC posted directions. They also tend to look well-scrubbed and a little awe-struck. Other folks, from denser areas of the world tend to follow what the locals do - jaywalk, cross lanes of live traffic but thankfully don't spit like the locals.

The glowing box is a major concern for local denizens as they aimlessly wend their way through ped. traffic sometimes ignoring live traffic. I just got rear-ended by someone who was most likely on a box. Good thing it was a car. My carbon bike would have been blasted to smithereens.

Cheers. Essex
Old 09-20-14, 01:25 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
A cyclist slammed into a pedestrian and killed them. That is not a rumor.
A pedestrian strolled out in front of a speeding vehicle and got killed.

The cyclist was not invisible. Legally it very well may be 100% the cyclist at fault but in the end a woman is almost dead and that could have been avoided by being more aware of her surroundings as she crossed a live roadway. The only way the injured woman is 100% vindicated morally is if the cyclist was a hit-man hired to kill her. Then she is off the hook for any responsibility in the crash episode. Otherwise, here inattention and complete trust in some inanimate traffic fixture to make her safe puts some blame on her.

There is a set of rusty train tracks three blocks from my house that has not seen a train in ten years. Yet, before I cross them (like 10 times a day sometimes) I look both ways. It does not cost anything.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 09-20-14 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-20-14, 01:30 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Coal Buster
There's a reason large law and accounting firms have shredders going constantly. They're destroying documents that could be subject to subpoena at a later date in an ancillary investigation ...and that's totally legal.
... and they set schedules and policies for such deletions and stick to them.

That way, when somebody comes looking for the document, they can say "well, we kept it for six months and then deleted it per this policy on this date, sorry, if you'd only gotten here a few days ago or told us we needed to preserve it ..."

And it's not just law and accounting firms ... many large firms do this.

As for an individual, most don't do this, and certainly you aren't expected to keep things forever, but if you almost killed somebody yesterday and knew it, and then in a few days they ask for your GPS traces (or video evidence or whatever), and you say "sorry, I deleted it ... you can't expect me to keep this stuff forever!" and yet Strava is full of all your other rides ... that's probably a crime, and they'd have a good case to prosecute you for it.

Most states have laws against this, and this looks like the relevant law for New York -- and stuff on a computer is almost certainly "physical evidence". There's also federal laws against this sort of thing.

That said, they would have to show that you had the evidence in the first place and that you knew they would be wanting it, which may or may not be easy. If you murdered somebody, yes, destroy the evidence, but for a traffic collision, even with a fatality, where you have evidence that hurts your case, I'm pretty sure your lawyer would tell you to keep the evidence, but not volunteer it unless they ask for it.

Last edited by dougmc; 09-20-14 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-20-14, 03:01 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
None of us (including the reporters) know exactly what happened, so just to point out a wording in the article that sounds a bit biased:

"Another witness, Tom Longman, described the moment the high-performance yellow bike made contact with the unsuspecting pedestrian, knocking her off her feet."

"Unsuspecting" would be more appropriate in the cases of the elderly victims in the "knockout games" happening in NYC where young thugs punch passersby to the ground for no reason.

In this pedestrian case maybe "absent-minded" or "inattentive" are more proper.
Old 09-20-14, 03:17 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
None of us (including the reporters) know exactly what happened, so just to point out a wording in the article that sounds a bit biased:

"Another witness, Tom Longman, described the moment the high-performance yellow bike made contact with the unsuspecting pedestrian, knocking her off her feet."

In this pedestrian case maybe "absent-minded" or "inattentive" are more proper.
I think you're spinning this more than the reporter. Unsuspecting simply implies that she wasn't aware of an impending hazard, which is probably a fair statement. Inattentive or absent minded might not apply, especially IF she had a green light, and therefore reasoned that traffic would stop.

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to write anything totally neutral, or in such a way as to prevent inferences. Even the very dry "the woman was crossing the road when she was struck by a bicycle" can cause folks to draw inferences and make assumptions based on their bias or experience.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-20-14, 03:31 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by dougmc
and then in a few days they ask for your GPS traces (or video evidence or whatever), and you say "sorry, I deleted it ... you can't expect me to keep this stuff forever!" and yet Strava is full of all your other rides ... that's probably a crime, and they'd have a good case to prosecute you for it.
Who is this "they" that you speak of with the power and authority to ask and expect to receive whatever "they" feel like asking for from private citizens, whenever "they" ask for it; can examine whatever "they" feel like, and can "prosecute" if what ever is requested is not turned intact over to "them"; all in the absence of any criminal charges, subpoenas or court orders ?

IMO, legal-beagle conjuring about what "they" can demand that a citizen turn over to "them" without a court order.
And even more conjuring about any legal requirement for private citizens to retain information on their personal devices for "them" in case "they" might "ask" for it.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 09-20-14 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-20-14, 03:43 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12762 Post(s)
Liked 7,675 Times in 4,072 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
Brakes on both sets of bars:

...and there's already a thread on this.
Those may look like tiny little brake levers on the ends of the aero bars but I suspect that they're FSA Vision Metron shifters, or similar, which do not have any brake actuation facilities.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 09-20-14 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-20-14, 03:48 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by FBinNY
I think you're spinning this more than the reporter.
This thread is suffering from an overdose of spin, hot air rhetoric, and legal conjuring.
From the victim's alleged fault due to inattention and jaywalking despite the report that the cyclist swerved into her while trying to avoid other pedestrians. Spinning about vehicular homicide despite no death, speculation about what if the socioeconomic status of victim and cyclist were different; blah, blah, blah.

All we need now is for the BF lynch mob to start speculating based on stereotypes conjured from pictures of the cyclist and/or the bicycle involved. The preceding post would be a good starting point for such a spinning "discussion."
Old 09-20-14, 03:51 PM
jeichelberg87

Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2015 Giant AnyRoad (stolen)2016 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So when a kid is run over and killed are you going to give the family a darwin award?
Are you just engaged in fishing now? Can you not tell the difference between a legal adult and a child? Spare all of us the next few keystrokes...
Old 09-20-14, 04:09 PM
jeichelberg87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fissile
There are witnesses who claim they heard him shouting, "Get out of the way." That proves that he saw her, it could also indicate that he had time to take evasive action. If he saw her, had time and the means to take evasive action, but chose not to because, "I have the right of way, so f*** you", he's screwed.
Well, maybe he was just yelling at the group of pedestrians he was trying to avoid when he swerved in order not to hit them...there goes your wack-a-mole theory...honestly, coming to unfounded conclusions at this point is senseless...
Old 09-20-14, 04:13 PM
jeichelberg87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Those may look like tiny little brake levers on the ends of the aero bars but I suspect that they're FSA Vision Metron shifters, or similar, which do not have any brake actuation facilities.

Is that the cyclist in the picture? He looks like a purposeful killer, right? [\sarcasm off]
Old 09-20-14, 04:19 PM
seafood

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
A pedestrian strolled out in front of a speeding vehicle and got killed.
What's your point -- that it's her fault? The bicyclist struck her while she apparently was crossing the street legally. It's his fault. If those are the facts, there's no debate. The rest -- could she have looked out for traffic more, are pedestrians in NY all idiots, is she really dead -- it's all irrelevant. None of us was there, so let's all stop bull****ting the public and stick to what we actually know. Also, show a little sensitivity to her and her loved ones' loss.
Old 09-20-14, 04:31 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by jeichelberg87
Is that the cyclist in the picture? He looks like a purposeful killer, right? [\sarcasm off]
[\sarcasm on]
Sure doesn't fit the profile of the law abiding, cycling specific clothing clad commuter as typically seen on BF does he? Must be guilty of somethin'; maybe he is one of them crazy, drug dealing messengers I've been hearing about, better check him out for incriminating tattoos, eh? Maybe his cell phone has some incriminating evidence, maybe "they" should "ask for it and charge him with a crime if anything has been deleted, ever. [\sarcasm off]
Old 09-20-14, 04:36 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
This thread is suffering from an overdose of spin, hot air rhetoric, and legal conjuring..... Spinning about vehicular homicide despite no death, ....
You're doing your own bit of spinning here. If/when the victim is officially declared brain dead and ultimately take off life support (even if that's years out), the cause of death will be the accident. So the appropriate criminal charge, if any is levied, will be some sort of homicide. Of course it could be ruled an accident, but either way this will be treated as a death resulting from the event, not as a non fatal injury.

I might note that James Brady's ultimate death 33 years after being shot was ruled a homicide. IMO, that's a stretch, but that was the official ruling. This will come nowhere near that, so it will be treated as a fatality, even tough the victim isn't dead yet.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-20-14 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-20-14, 04:42 PM
jeichelberg87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seafood
What's your point -- that it's her fault? The bicyclist struck her while she apparently was crossing the street legally. It's his fault. If those are the facts, there's no debate. The rest -- could she have looked out for traffic more, are pedestrians in NY all idiots, is she really dead -- it's all irrelevant. None of us was there, so let's all stop bull****ting the public and stick to what we actually know. Also, show a little sensitivity to her and her loved ones' loss.
Just to venture to answer the question, "What's your point...", even though I did not make the the point...
The point is... A pedestrian strolled out in front of a speeding vehicle and is brain dead. The rest of your post? meh...it too, is irrelevant. People die everyday...How are his coments insensitive? Someone should fit your subjectivity when it comes to the term, "sensitive?"
Old 09-20-14, 04:44 PM
jeichelberg87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[\sarcasm on]
Sure doesn't fit the profile of the law abiding, cycling specific clothing clad commuter as typically seen on BF does he? Must be guilty of somethin'; maybe he is one of them crazy, drug dealing messengers I've been hearing about, better check him out for incriminating tattoos, eh? Maybe his cell phone has some incriminating evidence, maybe "they" should "ask for it and charge him with a crime if anything has been deleted, ever. [\sarcasm off]
I will never dream of riding a bike in New York again...honest...
Old 09-20-14, 04:50 PM
jeichelberg87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly, it would not surprise me if the rider is sincerely sorrowful someone has suffered grievous injury as result of an accidental collision in which the rider was involved...I know the times I have been in car crashes involving other vehicles my first concern was always, "Am I okay?" and then, "Is everyone else okay?" and then, "What about the cars?" For the most part, this is generally the thoughts of all my acquaintances and friends...
Old 09-20-14, 05:05 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

The point is... A pedestrian strolled out in front of a speeding vehicle and is brain dead. The rest of your post? meh...it too, is irrelevant. People die everyday...How are his coments insensitive? Someone should fit your subjectivity when it comes to the term, "sensitive?"
The victim is brain dead because she "strolled out in front of a speeding vehicle?" From what inside source did you derive that insensitive and subjective comment?
Old 09-20-14, 05:12 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by FBinNY
You're doing your own bit of spinning here. If/when the victim is officially declared brain dead
Does anyone on this list know any credible facts in reference to the pedestrian victim's condition?
Old 09-20-14, 06:18 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
This thread is suffering from an overdose of spin, hot air rhetoric, and legal conjuring.
From the victim's alleged fault due to inattention and jaywalking despite the report that the cyclist swerved into her while trying to avoid other pedestrians. Spinning about vehicular homicide despite no death, speculation about what if the socioeconomic status of victim and cyclist were different; blah, blah, blah.

All we need now is for the BF lynch mob to start speculating based on stereotypes conjured from pictures of the cyclist and/or the bicycle involved. The preceding post would be a good starting point for such a spinning "discussion."
Mostly there is just a lot of manure being spread.
Old 09-20-14, 06:20 PM
jeichelberg87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The victim is brain dead because she "strolled out in front of a speeding vehicle?" From what inside source did you derive that insensitive and subjective comment?
The article giving birth to this thread...
Old 09-20-14, 07:02 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

The article giving birth to this thread...
Though the OP article has lots of speculation and gossip, it does not contain the insensitive and subjective (as well as callous) comment about the victim "strolling in front of a speeding vehicle" you gratuitously use to describe the victim's behavior. Maybe it is in the comments section but then that area is normally a cesspool of swirling rhetorical crap, just like much of the content of this thread.
Old 09-20-14, 08:11 PM
Fissile

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
No he looks like a self-important, entitled, narcissistic, hipster, doosh. The scarf is a really nice touch.....in 75 degree weather.
Old 09-20-14, 08:17 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12762 Post(s)
Liked 7,675 Times in 4,072 Posts
Originally Posted by Fissile
No he looks like a self-important, entitled, narcissistic, hipster, doosh. The scarf is a really nice touch.....in 75 degree weather.
Time stamp of scarf pic is unknown. It is not likely from day of incident.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.